New Ruger LCP range report.

PDA

stchman
January 25, 2010, 02:50 AM
Hello all.

I just recently purchased a Ruger LCP and went to the range. I would liek to report on how I did.

The little pistol certainly has some recoil, darn near what my P11 had. Needless to say the LCP is not the most comfortable pistol to shoot, but with its light weight and small profile I figured it was not going to be a fun range pistol.

I primarily bought the pistol for self defense purposes so I am not interested in supreme accuracy.

Ammo:
Herters 380ACP 95gr FMJ brass case berdan primed
MFS 9mm Browning Short(380ACP) 95gr FMJ brass case boxer primed

A friend of mine and I went out to the local shooting range where it was 41F with a decent breeze.

I started out with a 7 yard target and was able to keep all my shots in the 8" target area even scoring a couple of bullseyes.

We then moved the target stand out to 25 yards just for grins. Out of 2 mags I was able to put 6 shots on paper. 25 yards is probably pretty far outside the range of this little guy.

We then tried 10 yards and I was able to put half of my shots on the paper.

I went through 2 boxes of ammo. I know the ammo is cheap stuff (since when did $17 a box of 50 become cheap?), but I only had one failure in 100 shots. YMMV, but Rugers have served me well.

I was able to score a box of 20 Magtech JHP 77gr First Defense ammo for $20 at the local gun show for defense purposes.

http://www.magtechammunition.com/sitepages/pid103.php?productId=571&ltemplate=details&templateId=14&pageId=103&search=details

I was also able to score this little pocket holster for $10 at the show as well.

http://acecase.com/pocket-holster-rubberized.html

All in all I was pretty impressed with the little pistol. I will need to train with it to get better accuracy, but out to 10 yards I can hit my target fairly well.

For $300 plus $20 FFL transfer I think the LCP is one heck of a value. I recommend the little pistol for anyone wanting a CCW or BUG.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Ruger LCP range report." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LightningMan
January 25, 2010, 06:52 PM
Glad to hear it, as I really like mine too, shot it again for 3rd time sence I bought it. I would suggest you shoot some of your personal defence ammo to make sure it feeds as well, as I have heard some JHP ammo can cause feeding problems for these little pistols. LM

Armybrat
January 25, 2010, 07:09 PM
Mine has 300 rounds through it without a failure, but yes it is a bit rough to shoot. The lead goes where I point it.

Katana8869
January 25, 2010, 07:59 PM
Guess I'm the weird one here. I don't find my LCP punishing to shoot at all. I do alot of shooting with J-frame Airweights though so that may have something to do with it. ;)

Kingofthehill
January 25, 2010, 08:18 PM
I sold my LCP the other day, although i thought it was a great pocket gun, the Mag release always got in the way and i feared in a bad situation i would eject the mag. I think that gun should have a rocker style Mag release or a mag release on the bottom out of the way..

And I thought it was a tad punishing to shoot.. the trigger always slammed back at my finger and just knocked it around. One time i was shooting it it actually bruised my finger pretty deep.

Sounds dumb but i did not enjoy shooting it. Im anxious to try the new Taurus and others.

JOe

kdean
January 25, 2010, 08:30 PM
I had an LCP for a while but ended up trading it in. Not a big fan of not really having any sights. Put 500 rounds through it with no failures. Very reliable. The only ammo I would trust my life with in a defense situation was the hornady critical defense though. They feed perfect every time due to the shape of the bullet. I tried many different types of hollowpoints and as LightningMan was saying earlier alot of them would get caught on the feed ramp and jam no matter how hard you racked the slide. The feed ramp always needs to have a little layer of oil on it to prevent that.
At first I thought the recoil was bad but that was just because I couldn't get a good grip on the pistol. Once I put the grip extension on the recoil wasn't bad at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Ruger LCP range report." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!