Lee dies

PDA

broham
January 25, 2010, 11:51 PM
I have a few sets of Lee dies and seem to like them a lot. The FCD is great. I have a set in 40,44 and 357. Tonight I was loading a bunch of 40 cal 180 JHP Zero bullets. My coal was set at 1.125. I was getting variances of up to .008 thou from round to round. One might come out at 1.124 and the next at 1.132 and the next at 1.127. Is this normal? I had to keep adjusting the die every 3rd round. Maybe I'm just spoiled with my Forster comp seater for my 308 but I don't think these numbers are exceptable. I'm really thinking of giving a set of Horn dies a shot. For my 357 and 44 I seat to the groove and once the die is set I hit the groove every time

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bass Ackwardz
January 26, 2010, 12:13 AM
When I seat with my Lee dies in .40 S&W, I get them within .001 of each other usually. It would seem to me that .008 is a bit too much variation. You might just contact Lee and see if they can give you any answers.

Bass

Seedtick
January 26, 2010, 12:57 AM
You may need to change the shape on the end of the seating stem? The profile of the bullet may be such a mis-match with it that it is causing these variations. I don't have any trouble with mine but I'm loading mostly the jhp's from Rocky Mountain Reloading in .40 S&W.

ST

:)

twofifty
January 26, 2010, 12:59 AM
Maybe there is a lead or grunge build up in your seating die.
Maybe your press linkage is loose or worn, leading to inconsistent ram travel.

DANNY243
January 26, 2010, 04:24 AM
I have this problem with my Lee and RCBS dies also. I have been blaming the inside case necks for having un-uniform tension on bullets and thought about inside-neck reaming. My Lee Classic Cast seems like a good press but it may also be a culprit in this problem.

FROGO207
January 26, 2010, 07:18 AM
I have no problems with my Lee dies but load lots of plated / FMJ in my pistol rounds and they tend to be more consistent and less able to be deformed when seated. The seating plug could be a problem also as stated above.

gearheadpyro
January 26, 2010, 08:47 PM
What kind of press are you using? If it is a Lee turret press then that may be part of the problem. I love my lee turret for loading pistol ammo, but the slop in the turret head will give me up to about .010" variance. I have not notived any difference in my pistol ammo's feeding or accuracy.

I do not load any rifle on the lee turret for precisely this reason though.

Seater plug is also a very valid possibility.

Balrog
January 26, 2010, 08:53 PM
You aren't exactly loading match bullets there. Slight differences in ogive will result in differences in OAL. OAL is only important in that the cartridge must fit into the magazine. The important distance is measured to the ogive not the bullet tip. Try using a comparator, and I bet your ammo will be more consisten than you currently think.

broham
January 26, 2010, 09:31 PM
I agree balrog in rifle. But this is in handgun. My press is a Lee classic cast turret. I have never loaded any lead, only Zero 180 JHP's. I even measured several bullets. They were all within 1 1/2 thou of each other. I agree the slop in the turret could be the culprit. Hopefully it's just the die. I love my turret as nobody else makes one like it, auto index. A Horn LNL AP would be sweeeeeeet but I can't muster up the 8 bills to get one set up. The RCBS is nice but doesn't index on it's own. I'll take apart my die and see if somethings going on inside. Thanks much for your guy's help.

Seedtick
January 26, 2010, 10:13 PM
I agree balrog in rifle. But this is in handgun. My press is a Lee classic cast turret. I have never loaded any lead, only Zero 180 JHP's. I even measured several bullets. They were all within 1 1/2 thou of each other. I agree the slop in the turret could be the culprit. Hopefully it's just the die. I love my turret as nobody else makes one like it, auto index. A Horn LNL AP would be sweeeeeeet but I can't muster up the 8 bills to get one set up. The RCBS is nice but doesn't index on it's own. I'll take apart my die and see if somethings going on inside. Thanks much for your guy's help.

broham, I use the exact same press and dies with the afore mentioned bullet with no problems. The COAL usually holds within a couple of thousands either side of what I want it to be. It may be the equipment but think maybe something else is going on??? :confused:

ST

:)

broham
January 26, 2010, 10:38 PM
Well I just cleaned the seater and loaded 10 dummy rounds. Of the ten 7 were within .0015. The other 3 were .005 off. This is much better than what I was getting the other night. The seater die did have a bunch of brass shavings. I also adjusted the expander to bell a little more. Right now the bullet barely sits in the case so when I raise the ram I think it's sliding into the side of the plug, shaving a little brass and maybe not being seating evenly. Not sure but after cleaning it's a lot better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!