Powder storage idea, good or bad?

PDA

Hey_Allen
January 26, 2010, 01:13 AM
I did some searching, and was wondering what anyone else thought about storing powder cans on their sides?

The reason I ask is that due to having my reloading bench built out of 2x4's with a 3/4" ply sheet over them, and a particle board/formica counter top on the top, I have these nice 4" deep recesses on the bottom.
My thought was that I could easily put strips of ply or hard-board under there and store the sealed cans, leaving only the in use cans out, or even have another rack for the partial cans that have been opened.

I can't see any reason off the top of my head, and I'd be putting it at the far end of the bench where I wouldn't be likely to be drilling anywhere nearby, but wanted others input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder storage idea, good or bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 26, 2010, 12:47 PM
There is no reason not too, if you don't mind crawing under there to see what you got stored.

Powder doesn't care in the least which way the can is stored I betcha.

Personally, I prefer a well vented locking metal cabinet for powder storage.
It gives some small amount of fire protection, and contains stuff from flying around like bottle rockets in a fire, spreading it faster.

rc

Sudden Impact
January 29, 2010, 02:30 PM
Sounds like a really useful idea to me.

I store my powder in wooden ammo crates since local laws prohibit storing in metal cans (even though some of my powders are in original metal cans).

Might want to check ordinances for storage of primers and powder.

Local fire regulations should be adhered to simply because, in the event of a fire, your insurance company might be reluctant to payoff if they get a complaint from firefighters about a zillion primers and a hundred pounds of powder blowing up in their faces!

Just food for thought.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder storage idea, good or bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!