As you age, are your carry handguns....

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 26, 2010, 10:20 AM
See Poll. Vote in Poll. Discuss your vote and others' votes in poll. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "As you age, are your carry handguns...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Avizpls
January 26, 2010, 10:22 AM
no poll.

Gryffydd
January 26, 2010, 10:29 AM
I voted larger and heavier. I don't know if I should really be posting in this thread at all as I've only been carrying for 6 years or so. I started out with XD 9sc, moved to a 5" 1911, then to a 5" GP-100. Now I go back and forth between the 1911 and the 5" GP-100, but the trend has been towards larger and heavier. I'd like to get a little pocket gun but I'd likely only carry it rarely with a certain narrow wardrobe category. I guess I figured it really doesn't really bother me much to carry and conceal big and heavy, and if I ever need a gun I'd sure choose what I've been carrying over a pocket gun if I had a choice.

Fishbait
January 26, 2010, 10:56 AM
Larger and heavier.

I carry a M&P Full Size 45 ACP now. But expect to move up to a bigger 45 Platform in later years. Crawl, walk and run I say. I would get a baby 50 AE but they dont make them small enough to conceal.

uspJ
January 26, 2010, 01:03 PM
i've gone smaller and lighter personally. i first carried a berreta 92, then a 226, then a xd40, full size 1911, then a glock 23, hk usp compact .40 and now a kel tec pf9. i just like how i don't have to worry about printing as much and having a big heavy gun pulling against my belt all day.

The Bushmaster
January 26, 2010, 01:05 PM
As I age gracefully. So does my carry weapon...

Eightball
January 26, 2010, 01:28 PM
No real pattern, I just carry the what I can get away with hiding, and as soon as I can I pack what I'd like to have been packing all along.

RoostRider
January 26, 2010, 01:31 PM
Smaller, lighter.... but with me a lot more.... an amicable trade off

huntsman
January 26, 2010, 01:44 PM
I'm fairly new to CC but overall for the last 20 years all my handguns have been close in size and weight.

Madcap_Magician
January 26, 2010, 03:22 PM
I started with small, light, and single-stack. I went to heavy revolvers. I went to light revolvers. I went to full-size semiautos. I want to go to mid-size semiautos... no real pattern.

ArmedBear
January 26, 2010, 03:25 PM
Some light, some heavy, but suddenly, lately, I want to have my carry guns engraved and put fancy grips on them.

Elmerkeithitis?

huntme
January 26, 2010, 03:26 PM
i have been carrying my 8 inch danwesson 357 going on 7 years.dont intend to stop now,i love that pistole.it hase saved my life to manny times to count on my fingers.my ccw gun is a danwesson 357 6 inch barrel,or my baretta 40,every once in a blue moon when i travel out of state,i carry my ruger p-90 45 auto.

kmrcstintn
January 26, 2010, 05:10 PM
depends on what I carry and why...for 'normal' CCW I stick with a S&W 642 or 442; for walking the hunting property it is usually a Ruger GP100; occasionally it is an Uberti Colt 1873 Colt SAA clone; pretty much have given up on semiautomatics; if I ever venture to get another semi I want a Beretta 92 FS

Onward Allusion
January 26, 2010, 06:24 PM
+1............

RoostRider (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=65778)

Smaller, lighter.... but with me a lot more.... an amicable trade off

Boberama
January 26, 2010, 06:28 PM
I choose not to carry one. It's illegal.

NMGonzo
January 26, 2010, 06:51 PM
Single stack anything.

Weight be damned.

Vern Humphrey
January 26, 2010, 07:18 PM
I've carried a full-size M1911 for about 50 years now.

AKElroy
January 26, 2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for adding the last category. My pants generally define what I carry. I nearly always pocket carry, and whenever I buy new pants I generally try a few different CCW's until I find one that I can carry comfortably.

deputy tom
January 26, 2010, 09:57 PM
Voted.Same size,lighter.tom.:cool:

memphisjim
January 26, 2010, 09:58 PM
i voted same because i havent been carrying long enough to really change

Rexster
January 27, 2010, 07:30 AM
There was no poll choice for "other."

I have switched my CC weapons several times since 1984, and the weight and size have both gone up and down. My latest changes, from a pair of SP101s to a Speed Six and SP101, then to P229 and an SP101, to two P229s, was a general upward trend in size. I doubt I will go back to an N-frame, like I CC'ed in the 1980's, or 4" fully-lugged GP100, that I CC'ed in 1993-1995, so that reflects a downward trend in size and weight over time.

I predict that my next change will happen when I retire from policin', in the next two to nine years. (It feels SO good that the higher figure is finally less than ten years! :D ) I currently CC a P229 or two, because that is what I use at work, and it is simpler logistically to use the same guns most of the time. Tactically sound, too. (I own my duty pistols, FWIW.) I may revert to the SP101s for most CC after I retire. I even bought a 3-1/16" SP101 recently, and a Milt Sparks PMK, with just that idea in mind. Or, who knows, with no requirement to carry DA autos at work, I may shake the dust off my 1911 skills, and go all-1911 again.

Edited to add: I almost voted "variety," but then, I don't carry random guns, without a pattern. If I carry a specific weapon, for a specific task, that differs from my normal carry gun, I generally have my regular carry gun with me, too.

Broken Anvil
January 27, 2010, 07:51 AM
I carry now what I wish I could have afforded many years ago. Same caliber, a little smaller and much nicer.

420Stainless
January 28, 2010, 09:34 PM
Smaller and Lighter. Not because I'm older, just that technology is continuously evolving in that direction and it suits me fine to have more power in lighter packages.

medmo
January 29, 2010, 05:36 AM
Same-same. No change. S&w 19, Colt Commander, Sig 229. All mid size.

Nasty
January 29, 2010, 07:00 AM
LOL...I voted smaller and lighter for one reason only. I started to carry in 1972.

There were *NO* Glocks...*NO* Kel-Tecs...I carried the best I could, which for years was a customized Colt Series 70 1911. Over the years, plastic came to be used, reliable guns in decent calibers were produced, then they started getting smaller as well as lighter.

Folks starting out today have it good!

P97
January 29, 2010, 07:11 AM
Guess my Gun size hasn't changed much but Caliber size has. When I was younger, I didn't have a CC Permit so I carried .22 caliber revolvers and pistols to hunt with. Now that I have a CC Permit, I carry a full size .45ACP Auto. :)

TIMC
January 29, 2010, 09:55 AM
You forgot to add a choice for mine....

More expensive and nicer! :D

I find that as I grow older I have gone to better quality carry guns and a little on the eye candy side but size has not changed.
Here are my top two carry guns
Kimber Pro Raptor
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/KimberProRaptorII.jpg?t=1264776744
Kahr MK9 Elite 03
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/KahrMK9Elite.jpg?t=1264776624

wishin
January 29, 2010, 10:20 AM
I'm a creature of habit and still carry an old model Browning Hi Power. After buying my wife a small semi-auto for CC recently, I'm a little antsy about getting one in .380.

CoRoMo
January 29, 2010, 10:31 AM
Larger and heavier. I'm on the verge of moving up from 9mm to 45.

twigs
January 29, 2010, 12:58 PM
I used to carry a .380, then went to an XD40, then to a 3"alloy 1911, and currently carry a 5" all steel 1911. I get more old fashioned as I get older.

hexidismal
January 29, 2010, 01:20 PM
I'd choose the "No change - same size, same weight" option. I do carry different size and weight guns when I need to adapt to a certain situation or clothing. Overall though, I've always done that but maintained a basic size and weight for daily carry when possible.

orionengnr
January 29, 2010, 09:20 PM
The longer I carry, the more I find that I can carry what I like to shoot (and shoot well), not just what I think I can conceal. Our climate here allows two distinct carry seasons (nine months of summer and three months of winter), and the opportunity to try larger/heavier pistols in the winter, and then reverting to last summer's default or trying to move forward each summer.

--Five years ago, I was stuck in the j-frame/pocket carry mindset. But I never shot a j-frame well.
--The Kahr PM9 rocked my world for about three summers. Perfect reliabilty, just as light, smaller than a j-frame, a more powerful cartridge (9mm+p+), 6+1 vice 5, plus a fast reload...what's not to like?
--Moved the Kahr P45 from a winter carry to the default summer carry about a year ago. Had to go to IWB intead of pocket carry, but with an 18.5 oz 45acp, it is not a difficult adjustment.
--Last winter and this, it's either an N-frame or a 1911. Currently, a steel 4" Kimber.
--Hope to transition to either an alloy 3 or 4" 1911 for this summer, and next winter...either the 4 or 5" N-frames or a 5" steel 1911.

It's a journey...and an enjoyable one. Thank God and the Founding Founders that I have the right to take this journey. :)

Mikhail Weiss
January 29, 2010, 09:51 PM
I've been carrying now for about, wow, 20 years. For about fourteen of them I've been carrying the same gun, a Glock 19, which is box stock original, except for the replaced recoil spring, replaced extractor, replaced trigger spring, and lightened connector. The only reason I switched to it from a larger, heavier gun was because it carries 16 rounds on board, while the other carries 8. At the time of the switch, I was working a job that increasingly brought me into regular contact with more and more sizable groups of unsavory sorts. If I had more disposable income, I might try other guns, but I have what I have.

Autolycus
January 30, 2010, 04:56 AM
Went from using a Kimber Tactical to a Glock 17. Made a stop with a Sig P226R but have settled on the Glock 17 or Glock 26. This is for when I travel. Around the house I keep the Glock 17 loaded.

huntsman
January 30, 2010, 10:19 AM
The longer I carry, the more I find that I can carry what I like to shoot (and shoot well), not just what I think I can conceal.

+100

Mastifflover
January 30, 2010, 10:48 AM
I voted same size but heavier based on what I carry now, a Glock 26 but it has been a long winding road to find the perfect CC for me. Here they are in chronological order:

Makarov in .380-Good gun heavy for caliber
S&W .380 Sigma-Total crap pot metal gun
Rossi .38-actually a pretty nice gun
S&W Airweight- .38-Great concept but not enough capacity
Glock 30-Great gun but too bulky for me
Taurus Millenium Titanium slide 9mm-nice to carry horrible trigger
Ruger LCR-Good shooter, nice trigger, bulky grips and low capacity
Glock-26-current carry

I think that I may have finally found my holy grail of carry guns. Since I got the G26 I haven't even thought about looking at a different carry gun. For me the size, weight, reliability and capacity are just about right for me. That and I shoot it better than any of the former carry guns that I had.

BossHogg
January 30, 2010, 12:27 PM
.45 acp is still my ccw round, but have gone from steel to plastic for weight issuses.

searcher451
January 30, 2010, 01:19 PM
I've actually gone a bit heavier and with more capacity than what I was carrying, say, five years ago. I don't know if it's a question of age that's made me change, or whether I've just gotten a bit smarter in my old age.

elmerfudd
January 31, 2010, 02:50 AM
I've always gone for small and light in a carry gun. If it's heavy and difficult to conceal, then I'm less likely to carry it.

Erik M
January 31, 2010, 08:49 PM
from a j-frame to a .380 to a beretta 92 and back. I have to switch it up depending on the occason. About to add a CZ or Jericho to the mix.

Clifford
February 1, 2010, 01:53 PM
My CCW carry guns have gone from commander 1911 to compact 1911 to even a Colt Mustang and now i've settled on snubby S&W's one of them being an airweight. So yes they have gotten lighter but weight isn't a concern. I really like 1911's and I shoot them very well (steel matches) but for drop it in my pocket or slip it in a waist band holster and forget it carry, the snubby works great for me.

OldCavSoldier
February 1, 2010, 02:07 PM
Smaller and lighter....

Started out in the early 1970's CCW Colt Combat Commander .45ACP and Government Model (depending upon whether or not I was wearing a uniform) and lateley (and for some years now) prefer J-frame snubbies .....

Still occasionally carry either the Cbt Cdr or something else if the mood strikes me!!

Ala Dan
February 1, 2010, 03:45 PM
I voted, "NO change- same size and weight"; but actually, I should have
voted under the "Variety" status, cuz quite often I do change up as it
all depends on the occassion~! ;) :D

DAdams
February 2, 2010, 08:21 AM
One of three:

M&P 340 Revolver 13.3 ounces MT. .357 capable, night sights, laser grips which covers most situations. Speed strip in a wallet for reload.

Seecamp LWS .380 for very discrete carry.

Kahr PM9 for a change up.

All these are carried in the pocket. Jacket, pants, shorts.

I live in the SE and the summers are warm and long.

19-3Ben
February 2, 2010, 08:36 AM
"As I age" is kind of a relative thing. You're probably thinking of people answering this poll who have gone from being in their 30's to being in their 50's or something.

I got my CWP at 21. I'm now 25. So as I have aged, I've started varying my carry guns (because I've managed to grow my collection) depending on conditions more appropriately. When I was 21 and my one and only pistol was a Sig P232 that's all I carried whether it was -10F or 110F.

Now I can carry anything from an LCP when it's really hot, to an M&P when it's cold enough for clothing to permit.

philbo
February 2, 2010, 08:47 AM
Well, as I have gotten larger & heavier, my pistols have gotten smaller & lighter... :o

TexasBill
February 2, 2010, 10:32 PM
Often carried a Chief's Special or Detective Special back then; often carry a Chief's Special now. Don't carry a .45 anymore, but the full-size pistols I do carry are lighter because of the polymer frames. One of my .380s is heavier than the .380 I used as a BUG, the other lighter. So it all depends: I voted for variety.

DancesWithSquirrels
February 3, 2010, 04:53 PM
Someday when/if I escape the People's Republic of New Jersey I may be able to answer this. But if I could I would probably choose based upon which of my guns I shot the best and was concealable within reason.

DWS

Guillermo
February 3, 2010, 05:01 PM
I carry what I can conceal. Weather is the biggest factor.

Since the weather weenie can't predict anything I did not vote. After all, my carry proclivities are too unpredictable

mljdeckard
February 3, 2010, 05:05 PM
Full-size, all-steel 1911, year-round. I have carried other guns, but they have almost all been full-size as well. I kind of came back to where we started.

cz85cmbt
February 3, 2010, 05:14 PM
I'm not old enough to vote yet.

M2 Carbine
February 3, 2010, 09:16 PM
Just turned 72. Age hasn't effected what I carry.
When the Texas CHL started I decided to carry the Kimber Ultra Carry.
The only difference now is I carry a more expensive, laser equipped, Tactical Ultra or Ultra Covert Kimber.

My pocket gun has gone from a Beretta 21A, to Kel Tec .32 and .380 and now a Micro desert Eagle. The MDE being heavier than the others but more reliable.

If my pockets were deep enough I'd pocket carry a 2 inch J&W J Frame.

If you enjoyed reading about "As you age, are your carry handguns...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!