Microsoft Excel Template for Ammo and Shooting Practice

PDA

rld187
January 26, 2010, 10:08 PM
Ok, I was wondering if anyone here had an Excel template that they use to record what types of ammo they use in certain weapons, what ammo works best, FTE, FTF, things of this nature with your different guns once you get home from the practice range. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it. The reason why I ask is that I bought a Ruger LCP and I want to pay close attention to what ammo works best and how many rounds through it. From what I've read, this seems like a finicky gun!

If you enjoyed reading about "Microsoft Excel Template for Ammo and Shooting Practice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Straight Shooter
January 27, 2010, 10:22 AM
I've always used a database that I created myself but recently I've been checking out rangelog.com (https://www.rangelog.com/Default.aspx). Looks promising.

rld187
January 27, 2010, 08:04 PM
Straight Shooter,
Could I have a look at yours?

Straight Shooter
January 28, 2010, 06:46 AM
There's not much to it, it's just a table in Access. No interface, I just enter info into the table. That's why I was looking at rangelog.com.

rld187
January 28, 2010, 06:00 PM
That's cool man. I'm just a little leery of putting details of my weapons on the internet. That's the only thing I don't like about Rangelog.

BCRider
January 29, 2010, 03:10 PM
I may be missing something but here's how I see it.

You want to keep a table of the guns, loads you tried in them along with, presumably, a short comment on each load and any comments about the gun's behaviour, cleanings, visits to the 'smith for work, etc.

The power of a spreadsheet comes from the ability to do computations to the colums of data. This isn't something you need for this logging application. On the other hand the power of a database comes from the ability to search lots of combinations of data to zero in on a particular item or sublist of items. This last thing may be worthwhile but unless you've got many dozens of guns to keep track of using a full on database seems like a little in the way of overkill.

So... what about just a plain flat table kept in Word, Open Office Writer or some similar word processor? In the case of MS Word and OO Writer where hyperlinks are supported you could have a table of your guns at the top of the page in a "List of Guns" table and clicking on that would jump to the table in the document where the notes on that gun are located. Entering new data into the log would be as simple as typing in on the blank line. Occasionally you'll need to insert new blank rows to the table but that's not all that hard.

The test of whether or not this would work for you is the need to look for things and the ability of the "find" tool to fullfill that need. If you can see an honest need for using more than one keyword at a time within a single table then perhaps something more is needed. But in truth I suspect you'd be fine with using a simple word processor.

If you enjoyed reading about "Microsoft Excel Template for Ammo and Shooting Practice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!