do magazine springs usually wear out or get too weak?

PDA

cajun47
January 28, 2010, 03:15 AM
i keep my mags for my beretta 92, glock 19, and ak47 fully loaded. should i change springs in 10 years? 50 years? will my grand kids be able to use these mags?

If you enjoyed reading about "do magazine springs usually wear out or get too weak?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deus Machina
January 28, 2010, 03:25 AM
This comes aorund every week or so, in some form...

The answer:
Modern, proper springs do not wear out from remaining loaded. WW2-era mags have spent the last 60 years loaded and still work fine.

Springs do wear out from repeated use.

Keep a magazine loaded and in the drawer, and your great-grandkids can slap it in and fire. Shoot 500 rounds through that one magazine every weekend, and you'll have to replace the spring around Christmas.

possum
January 28, 2010, 04:26 AM
if they stay loaded they will last alot longer than mags that you ise all the time. for example my training mags wear out about every year. but my carry mags last alot longer.

Sav .250
January 28, 2010, 06:55 AM
When and if it ever gets to the point where it won`t "pop" another shell up for the slide to ram home..... time for a new mag...:)

Onmilo
January 28, 2010, 03:20 PM
Like said, it is the repetition of compression and relaxation that wears a spring out.
Left relaxed or compressed they will retain flexibility indefinately.

Jim K
January 28, 2010, 03:25 PM
Some "experts" insist that magazine springs should be replaced in as little as 100 rounds. I think they must receive payment from spring makers.

A good spring used within its limits will not wear out.

(How often do you replace the valve springs in your car? They are compressed and relaxed thousands of times a minute.)

Jim

cajun47
January 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
so whats the real world results? anyone ever had any kind of mags not work cause of wore out springs? if so what gun was it for? did you use them a lot, empty and reload over and over?

i know they have to be some old timers here.

i did have a ruger 9mm from the early 90s that i shot a lot and the mag springs did feel well broke in but they worked fine. i sold it but now i wish i would have kept it. i also have an ak47 that i shot a couple thousand rounds since 1999 and last time i checked they worked.

shenandoah
January 28, 2010, 09:24 PM
Logic would reason the more you load and reload a mag eventually will compromise the spring. I have two luger mags made in 1939, they work just fine. The Luger works fine too.

Clifford
January 28, 2010, 09:50 PM
I have some old wilson combat mags that my dad used to use in one of his single stack 1911 10-15 years ago in matches. The springs on them are worn enough to not operate the slide lock but they do still feed 90% reliably. They have been loaded and shot several times a night every Tuesday for years thou. Now I just use them from time to time plinking.

I personally shoot just 480 or more rounds a month in matches and after about 3-4 months the springs are noticeably weaker but still function. I only replace the springs if the baseplate cracks on the mag. I figure if I've shot and dropped it in matches long enough to break the baseplate it's probably had enough rounds thru it to justify replaceing the spring.

Drail
January 29, 2010, 07:09 AM
Generally springs lose their elasticity from use. But other factors also shorten the life of a spring - overcompression, ie. stuffing the last round into a 17 round mag so that the follower and spring are essentially wadded up very tightly in the bottom of the mag. (Do you have to use a mag loader to get the last four or five rounds in?) This is the reason many folks will tell you to download by one or two rounds. Another problem is maintaining the quality of the tempering process when mass producing springs as cheaply as possible. There are good springs and not so good springs out there. Spend a few more bucks and buy the good ones. I still have a box of original McCormick Shooting Star mags (single stack) purchased in the 80s. I have replaced the springs only once. Never had one fail yet. Some have been stored empty and some have been stored full.

If you enjoyed reading about "do magazine springs usually wear out or get too weak?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!