Official State Firearm?

PDA

franconialocal
January 28, 2010, 12:35 PM
"Should Pennsylvania have a state firearm? One state senator is giving the idea a shot. Sen. Pat Browne, R Lehigh County, is sponsoring a bill that would designate the Pennsylvania Long Rifle as the state's official firearm."--- I pulled this from a Facebook NRA post just a few minutes ago and it really seems like a good idea, and now it has me wondering......what would New Hampshire have as OUR state firearm.....??? Or just chime in about the state YOU live in!!!

Nothing stands out immediately, but I feel it should be centered around New Hampshire's rugged mountain history, abundant hunting culture, and pro 2A stance in an otherwise sea of blue surrounding us.....thoughts, esp. from NH folks?? (This should be quite interesting). History buffs?? Collectors??

If you enjoyed reading about "Official State Firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mcdonl
January 28, 2010, 01:05 PM
Franc... when I think NH I think no sales tax. Perhaps something that was prevalent during the Boston Tea Party or something?

bhinks
January 28, 2010, 01:06 PM
That's a fun idea! I'm sure most of the suggestions will be heavily historical, for CT, I'd actually nominate the M-4 because 1) Colt is based here and 2) it would piss off most of our politicians who seem to have forgotten our heritage, just like most of the rest of New England.

eye5600
January 28, 2010, 01:19 PM
I'm sure most of the suggestions will be heavily historical, for CT, I'd actually nominate the M-4...

For which reason the nod would go to an historical Colt, not a modern one.

snorko
January 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
Indiana here. Kind of a difficult question. Several ideas spring forth.

Indiana was admitted to the union in 1816, the same year as the founding of Remington.

Evansville, IN produced over 95% of the .45 acp ammo in WWII, so maybe the 1911?

Vincennes, IN was founded as a French settlement then served as the first capital of the NW Territory, how about a F&I fusil?

Lincoln grew up here, so maybe a .44 cal. derringer?

We have Gary, IN, so maybe a Jennings .25?

(sorry for the last two)

ClayInTX
January 28, 2010, 01:25 PM
State firearm?

Never thought about it before but seems a great idea.

Many might want to claim the Pennsylvania Long Rifle but I believe Pennsylvania should have exclusive right to that one. It’s sometimes called the Kentucky Rifle but that isn’t right.

For Texas it should be something used at the Alamo or Goliad. Jim Bowie died at the Alamo so we might pick the Bowie as the State Knife. A gun would have to be a muzzle loader.

WAIT! I have it! The Texas State Firearm should be the Brass Cannon of Goliad. Where Santa Ana demanded it back and the Goliad defenders said, “Come and take it!”

semperfi63
January 28, 2010, 01:31 PM
Interesting idea for Kansas choices could include some version of SA Colt used in taming the towns of Abilene and Dodge City, or the Sharps rifle for all the buffalo killed with it or a pump shotgun for all the upland bird hunting?

Officers'Wife
January 28, 2010, 01:33 PM
Uh Snorko,

Indiana should claim the wooden pistol that John Dillinger used to break out of the Crown Point jail.

Gatorbait
January 28, 2010, 01:34 PM
ClayINTX, You nailed that one! I'm no Texan but I adnire that little cannon like no other.

mack
January 28, 2010, 02:17 PM
For Illinois the Thompson submachinegun - in honor of St Valentines Day.

which could lead to such instances as:

Officer, what do you mean it's illegal for me to own? It's the state firearm.

rcmodel
January 28, 2010, 02:21 PM
Kansas & Missouri?

Judging from the nightly TV news from Wichita, Topeka, Kansas City, & St Louis it would Have to be:

The Glock Nine or FoTay!

rc

CoRoMo
January 28, 2010, 02:32 PM
I'd like to preemptively buy, sight unseen, whatever Tennessee declares as their state firearm.:D

JJ Hiryuu
January 28, 2010, 02:35 PM
Tennessee should of course be the Barrett M82A1! Built in Murfreesboro.

ChaoSS
January 28, 2010, 03:28 PM
Jim Bowie died at the Alamo so we might pick the Bowie as the State Knife.The irony involved in having an illegal knife be your state knife is just too rich.

NMGonzo
January 28, 2010, 03:39 PM
Whatever the Spaniards used here.

THE DARK KNIGHT
January 28, 2010, 03:42 PM

Sorry, Jersey already has dibs on the Jennings .25

Tim the student
January 28, 2010, 03:44 PM
Iowa's could be the 870 - seems like everyone has at least one.

ChaoSS
January 28, 2010, 03:45 PM
My state legislature just voted, and apparently it was pretty close to unanimous.

http://www.wethepeople.org/misc/images/liberalgun.gif

Wolfebyte
January 28, 2010, 04:26 PM
perhaps Texas could have the Colt Walker? ...

4 generations of my ancestors made rifles in Tennessee, there is a difference between the Tennessee Rifle and the Pennsylvania ones.. It was a Poor Boy Rifle, a working man's rifle.. the lock was often made of iron instead of brass.

oldgold
January 28, 2010, 04:36 PM
OhiO

Gotta be a double barrel something.

Avtomat Kalashnikova
January 28, 2010, 04:38 PM

I think that should be the california state gun, they have compton

scrat
January 28, 2010, 04:39 PM
wrong about California. California doesnt like guns those are evil. So the official gun in california is a synthetic feather pillow.

CoRoMo
January 28, 2010, 04:39 PM
If Colorado were to adopt a state firearm, I'm sure it be some big game turn-bolt. And that's fine, but if it is chambered in 7mm, I'm moving.

JKimball
January 28, 2010, 04:51 PM
Well Utah has some claim on John M. Browning, so we have quite a selection to choose from. For something old and classic I'd go with a Winchester lever rifle. Of course the 1911 would be a good candidate. But I think I'm going to put my vote in for the M2.

As for New Hampshire... I don't know. I like that motto on your license plate, "Live free or die." What would go well with that?

41magsnub
January 28, 2010, 04:54 PM
I would say in Montana it would be a Sharps .45-70

Tim the student
January 28, 2010, 04:55 PM
As for New Hampshire... I don't know. I like that motto on your license plate, "Live free or die." What would go well with that?

Definitely a military rifle. A Garand or an old flintlock maybe? Or better yet, maybe a 240B:evil:

Dambugg
January 28, 2010, 04:59 PM
Wow, no idea what Oregons State gun should be. Probably a Kimber.
As for my real state of residency, the State of Jeffersons official gun should be a Thompson for sure. Maybe a 351 Winchester.

ol' scratch
January 28, 2010, 04:59 PM
Massachusetts Politicans don't like FIREARMS. In that case, I nominate Ohio for the new home of the M1 and Springfield. We do have Camp Perry.

RippinSVT
January 28, 2010, 05:06 PM
Here in Illinois, it should be one of those little pink Cricket .22 single-shots, because that's about all the Chicago-machine wants to allow us to own.

ol' scratch
January 28, 2010, 05:06 PM
More than a few were produced in Saginaw Michigan at Steering Gear.

ArmedBear
January 28, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hmmm...

What would it be for Idaho?

Either the Model 29 (in honor of Elmer Keith) or the no-gun.

Nope, no guns around here.

berettaprofessor
January 28, 2010, 05:35 PM
When I think of all the time spent by legislatures naming state flowers and birds and reptiles, etc.....just irritates me to tears.

FIVETWOSEVEN
January 28, 2010, 05:42 PM
NH should be the SIG Sauer P229, it was made for NH!

Erik M
January 28, 2010, 05:47 PM
Traditional - Kentucky Long Rifle

Modern - DoubleStar AR15 since they are located in Winchester.

ol' scratch
January 28, 2010, 06:02 PM
Idaho? Potato gun.:D

Erik M
January 28, 2010, 06:31 PM
Idaho? Potato gun.:D
I think someone just won the thread :D

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-02/pneumatic-potato-gun.jpg

ClayInTX
January 28, 2010, 06:49 PM
Idaho= the potato gun (Darn! scratch beat me to it)

Washington= Computer graphics gun in honor of MicroSoft.

California= I first thought water gun but that is much too realistic. Should be one of those wash bottles that you squeeze and squirt water out the little tube. Of course, the only legal ammo would be bottled Perrier with a twist of lemon peel.

Utah= a salt water gun

Oklahoma, please note I haven’t said a word about you—yet.

Gungnir
January 28, 2010, 06:52 PM
Washington= Computer graphics gun in honor of Microsoft.

Nah, a Nerf gun, we used them all the time back in the day.

ClayInTX
January 28, 2010, 06:54 PM
New York: a Glock, held sideways.

shenandoah
January 28, 2010, 06:57 PM
Virginia, the 3 band Enfield Musket, Maryland, a spray bottle of window cleaner, hey its got ammonia in it.

ol' scratch
January 28, 2010, 07:00 PM
New York: a Glock, held sideways.
HA! And if they are stupid enough to hold it sideways, hopefully they are holding it backwards too.

jn1965
January 28, 2010, 07:09 PM
Now Now Now... in NY it would be am Mac10 or Uzi ' cause all guns are ASSault rifles in NY!

Held sideways of course :D

WV it would be a stick of dynamite (for going hunting)
(Hey I lived in both places I have a right to mouth off :-D )

oweno
January 28, 2010, 07:13 PM
Ummmm ... New Hampshire? A lever-action .30-.30

You'll find one in every house, well, just about every house.

Kimber45acp
January 28, 2010, 07:37 PM
Official state firearm of CA and NJ:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e49/bigmackdaddyboy/smartgun.jpg

THE DARK KNIGHT
January 28, 2010, 08:06 PM
^^^

rofl

Unfortunately, it's missing a giant lock and that magazine looks capable of holding more than 3 rounds...might not be legal.

bhinks
January 28, 2010, 11:22 PM
"For which reason the nod would go to an historical Colt, not a modern one."

Touche sir.

sixgun_grunt
January 28, 2010, 11:29 PM
wow, I'm from lehigh county and havn't heard about this until now, pretty cool

cyclopsshooter
January 28, 2010, 11:38 PM
I'll play too

How bout a politically correct Post-Ban Olympic Arms P.C.R AR-15 for Washington State?

P97
January 29, 2010, 07:25 AM
Oklahoma's weapon would be the Bow and Arrow. Since its not a firearm, I don't know what would be the official firearm. Guess the lever Winchester or SA Colt would work.

Va Shooter
January 29, 2010, 08:28 AM
Virginia needs Matchlock for Jamestown.

cavman
January 29, 2010, 08:34 AM
Maine has in Houlton the Smith and Wesson Model 41 plant.

(But all my friends had 30-30's and 30-'06s)

hammerklavier
January 29, 2010, 09:48 AM
South Dakota, a 12 gauge (useful for killing the state bird). :)

HGUNHNTR
January 29, 2010, 09:53 AM
Nebraska has to be the big "Red Ryder".

Sediment
January 29, 2010, 11:38 AM
wrong about California. California doesnt like guns those are evil. So the official gun in california is a synthetic feather pillow.

Nah, ours would be an Environmentally-Friendly-Underpowered-Nerf-Gun-With-A-Ten-Second-Delay-So-You-Know-It's-Going-To-Go-Bang-And-Cancel-The-Shot-So-You-Don't-Scare-Someone. Also comes with a free prescription of Diazepam to alleviate your shattered nerves from having fired a weapon.

xjmox14x
January 29, 2010, 11:46 AM
New York's of course

http://richnamy.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12948&g2_serialNumber=3

wishin
January 29, 2010, 02:53 PM
Not a firearm per se, but Georgia's explosive device would be the torpedo, given the fact that we had a hand in the first submarine to sink an enemy ship when a "torpedo" was employed by the CSS Hunley during the Civil War. Sorry South Carolina for stealing your thunder.

Rifleman6555
January 29, 2010, 03:04 PM
Maine - Maxim Machine Gun. I know he moved to England, but he's a Maineiac.

MinnMooney
January 29, 2010, 03:12 PM
We have lots of heavily forested areas in Minnesota and the Marlin .30-30 reigns supreme in tight quarters.

thebigc
January 29, 2010, 03:21 PM
mass so either something from smith and wesson or... the m1 garand

BMF500
January 29, 2010, 03:27 PM
State firearm?

Never thought about it before but seems a great idea.

Many might want to claim the Pennsylvania Long Rifle but I believe Pennsylvania should have exclusive right to that one. It’s sometimes called the Kentucky Rifle but that isn’t right.

For Texas it should be something used at the Alamo or Goliad. Jim Bowie died at the Alamo so we might pick the Bowie as the State Knife. A gun would have to be a muzzle loader.

WAIT! I have it! The Texas State Firearm should be the Brass Cannon of Goliad. Where Santa Ana demanded it back and the Goliad defenders said, “Come and take it!”
You didn't forget about the Twin Sisters did you?

GunsBeerFreedom
January 29, 2010, 03:30 PM
For Michigan, I'd say the AK-47. We started mass production of cars, so it only makes sense that our firearms maintain the same spirit.

ClayInTX
January 29, 2010, 03:50 PM
BMF500, quote:
You didn't forget about the Twin Sisters did you?

But, where are they? No one seems to know except they’re somewhere in a field near Harrisburg. Those at San Jacinto are replicas.

Freedom Fighter 78
January 29, 2010, 04:42 PM
For Illinois, the 1861 Springfield rifle. The rifle that won the civil war for the Union?

jahwarrior
January 29, 2010, 04:53 PM
of all the things the legislature in PA has to work on, this is what they make a priority? how about passing Castle Doctrine? what stupid waste of time; another shining example of PA politics.

Buck Nekkid
January 29, 2010, 09:05 PM
We will never forget...we will always stand our ground...The Gonzalez Flag of 1835

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/ottonsure/1835GonzalesFlag-2.jpg

Mp7
January 29, 2010, 09:11 PM
Compton get the
state left hand firearm: Tec9
state right hand firearm: Glock.

ol' scratch
January 29, 2010, 09:48 PM
Oregon--The Remington SP-10--So they can shoot all the spotted owls and not leave a mess. Full choke-lead shot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Official State Firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!