WCC head stamp. reloading problem

PDA

tackstrp
January 28, 2010, 12:54 PM
I have a few WCC head stamp 9MM cases in a batch i purchsed online. I can punch out the primer but cant seat a new one all the way flush. Most I have to take the shellplate off my Hornady LNL progrssive, to get a high primer out.

My questions is where is that made? Could be some kind of crimped primer casing. Regardless, i check and trash them now. Stil a pain to do that.

I checked all my online head stamp sites . Cant find. Would have thought would be Western Cartiage Company, but not listed as WCC.

If you enjoyed reading about "WCC head stamp. reloading problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nate1778
January 28, 2010, 01:15 PM
Its military brass with a primer crimp, some of the heaviest crimp I have scene. Its made by Winchester for the military. Separate it out of the rest off the brass, you can grind off the crimp and it should load fine but I find so little of it I toss it. It will definitely bring your progressive to a halt.

tackstrp
January 28, 2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks NATE

FROGO207
January 28, 2010, 07:36 PM
All you have to do is use your inside chamfer tool to cut away the crimped edge and you can load as normal. Also note that the brass wall is often thicker on military type.

bds
January 29, 2010, 01:54 AM
Actually it's Western Cartridge Company (Olin), East Alton, IL (but Olin owns Winchester). :rolleyes:

Here's a cartridge headstamp link:

http://www.igman.com/ammunition/codes/

Randy1911
January 29, 2010, 09:17 PM
If you have a bunch, there are a lot of companies that make crimp removers. Lyman, RCBS, and Dillon to name a few.

cavman
January 29, 2010, 09:42 PM
I bought some 20,000 plus .45 ACP brass (for a song as it turns out. I think it was for 50 bucks). A TON of them were WCC and I bought this Wilson reamer. (I don't know about the size of the 9mm, but the .45 takes large pistol primers.)

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/11228/Primer-Pocket-Tools

It takes a quick two or three or four turns to grind out the brass edges.

Two winters ago I did them all, maybe a green ammo box or so at a time. Most were no effort at all; some required some pretty good grind. My thumb pad and index finger pad were really sensitive after all that for days and days during and afterwards. After a few days, it didn't matter how easy or not, my fingers were feeling every turn of that reamer.

However, it is now done, and I never have to do it again!

1SOW
January 29, 2010, 11:01 PM
One poster said he mounted his shell case on the drill press table, set the bit depth and pumped out a lot very quickly. Case would be in mouth down.

Sounded reasonable with the right drill speed.

I pick up someat my ranges, but I toss them.

crracer_712
March 17, 2012, 12:27 PM
I bought some Ram Line in 9mm, it was sold as new, but I'm almost positive it was reloads, all of it had the WCC stamp. I just reloaded a few and have found that a couple of cases have a slight crack and I have fired my loads. My loads were worked up at the minimum load. I didn't think anything about these cases and primed a couple hundred, mixed, mostly Winchester and Federal, but a few were the WCC. I'm going to toss all the WCC I have left, if made by winchester, they look nothing like my Winchester cases out of the white boxes from Walmart.

gahunter12
March 17, 2012, 01:09 PM
I have about 200 45acp with the WCC head stamp. Most have been picked up at my local indoor range. They are atleast twice fired before I picked them up. We have a local ammo company that sells reloads to local ranges. Everyone that I have picked up has the crimp removed

Fishslayer
March 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
.45ACP WCC, 9mm NATO, whatever. I loves me some .mil brass. I sort by headstamp so the crimped stuff goes in a box to be dealt with later. It's good brass. FWIW most of the WCC I find is decrimped so I'm guessing they are reloads.

crracer_712
March 17, 2012, 03:13 PM
Yes, mine were decrimped, but the extractor groups had some funky marks in them, about half way around the cases. It appeared to me that one of my loads put a hair line crack coming off of one of those groves (the funky mark) If they had been new, I'd probably feel better about reusing them.

FROGO207
March 18, 2012, 09:32 AM
There was a range the USNPS and USCG used to qualify in Acadia for years but is now closed due to environmental concerns. We were able to use it when qualifying also. There was always a ton of brass in 5 gallon buckets for the taking. I got about a 5 gallon bucket of 45ACP and 2/3 of that was NATO spec with crimped primers, most were WCC and TZZ. I have removed the crimp in various ways over the years. Most of it I no longer have because my 45s send it into low earth orbit.:( I can only recall a really small percentage that ended up with split necks (numbering in the dozens max, out of 10,000+). FWIW I reloaded these as needed and I am sure that some were loaded 75+ times without problems. As a side note I have reloaded a batch of 9MM brass that were reloads to me over 100 times with losses being only 3 FC brass getting loose primer pockets. If you are getting this problem then the brass is really old and/or you could be expanding the necks way too much and ending up with excessive work hardening. This is what I have experienced YMMV.:)

MADDOG
March 18, 2012, 09:57 AM
I found some in the last batch of 9MM that I bought. I didn't know any better so I deprimed and started to prime them as usual. I actually primed about 30 of them but is was very difficult. Is it possible to set a primer in them without removing a crimp? BTW I primed them with a hand held RCBS primer tool.

GLOOB
March 18, 2012, 03:51 PM
Yes, it's definitely possible. I did the same thing when I first started, not knowing about primer pocket crimps. I used CCI SPP and primed on a press, and I never came across a WCC crimped 9mm case into which I couldn't stuff the primer all the way in. The primers went in with a crunch, and the cup was completely flattened and just barely flush, but they all went bang. I never did have a failure with a CCI primer.

Now a "real" crimp can't be reprimed so easily. A Lake City .223 crimp is so tight it will usually back out my decapping pin. When I run across a few, I just get out the 3 lb sledgehammer to tap the pin back in while popping out the primer. A new primer won't even get started in one of those pockets without reaming.

But for those little sissy crimps, sometimes the first indication you'll get is that the primer doesn't want to start, easily. When you get used to the feel, you can usually stop before the primer gets started and then ream the pocket. The problem is when it gets stuck in there, halfway. Then you have to get creative with a hand primer. On a SS press, you can just raise the ram and pop the primer back out before it's damaged, and reuse it.

kingmt
March 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
I like WCC brass. I run all new to me brass through my CH4D swager. Must of the brass I pick up anymore is crimped. Federal & Win brass has crimps now.

If you enjoyed reading about "WCC head stamp. reloading problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!