First post here - one more former TFL member and finally a gun owner!

PDA

AlexI
January 20, 2003, 08:43 PM
Hi guys,

somehow I have been too busy to surf the forums a lot and post since the TFL closed... But I'm finally here and it looks pretty much like the good old TFL!
Right before TFL closed, I was still choosing my first rifle and looking for places to shoot. With the help of fellow TFLers, I made up my mind on both and now am a proud owner of a pretty little Marlin 1894CP carbine in .357/.38, and a member of an indoor range right here in NYC (unfortunately, only 50' range, but easy subway access is a huge convenience for me).
I just run a 100 rounds of .38 through it for the first time several hours ago, and still can't stop grinning like a fool! By the end of the session I was getting a hang of operating the lever, and I think I could even feel the action getting smoother then it was out of the box.
One thing that becane obvious immediately is that the stock sights are no good, just like some people mentioned on the TFL... I'm going to order a ghost ring set from Express sights first thing in the morning.

Hope to learn lots more and have some good time on these forums in the future!

Alex.

If you enjoyed reading about "First post here - one more former TFL member and finally a gun owner!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoppy
January 20, 2003, 09:12 PM
Welcome!

The first rifle I ever bought was a Marlin 1894cs in .357 magnum.
I love that rifle. In fact, everyone I have ever taken shooting has liked the Marlin over all of the other firearms we bring along.

Now you just need to find a nice outdoor 110 yd+ range!

Hoppy

Penman
January 20, 2003, 09:17 PM
Welcome, Alex! Congratulations on your new gun! Of course, owning guns is like eating potato chips, you can't stop with just one.

ScottsGT
January 20, 2003, 09:27 PM
NYC! In a subway with a rifle? :what: I bet you get some looks with that hard case! Welcome to the club. But please, also support the NRA since you have now joined the club.

BerettaNut92
January 20, 2003, 09:29 PM
Welcome!

hammer4nc
January 20, 2003, 09:33 PM
welcome AlexI!

NYC! In a subway with a rifle?

That was my first reaction, also, from what we've read about NYC regulations...I'm guessing he has to store it at the range? Of course, there's always the guitar/trombone case option ;)

Blackhawk
January 20, 2003, 10:13 PM
Glad you made it, Alex! :D

Things are just fine here! :neener:

blades67
January 20, 2003, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the club.:)

10-Ring
January 21, 2003, 12:12 AM
Welcome!

makdaddy03
January 21, 2003, 12:19 AM
Alex Welcome to THR.

Kahr carrier
January 21, 2003, 07:15 AM
Welcome:)

AlexI
January 21, 2003, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

For those who are wondering about a rifle on NYC subway: yes, I'm using an old case that was originally made for some obscure musical instrument. Nothing as dramatic as a guitar or violin shape, just a "square" hard case with a carrying handle. Actually it looks like an old fashioned and much abused piece of luggage (it is covered in some kind of brown faux leather). And if fits 1894CP dimensions almost like it was custom made for it (about 34"x8"x4"). I guess something that short and decidedly "non-tactical" looking just doesn't scream "rifle" to people, so nobody gave me a second look on the subway or on the street, at least none that I could see.

Alex.

cordex
January 21, 2003, 09:14 AM
Congrats on the new rifle!

Watch out, if let your wallet get too close, it'll spawn.

4v50 Gary
January 21, 2003, 10:41 AM
Welcome aboard Alex. BTW, after I got my Marlin, I didn't want to draw .45 acp ammo anymore. I wanted 38 specials. Lots of them. Lever guns are a hoot.

ScottsGT
January 21, 2003, 12:00 PM
Hey Alex,
Maybe you should use the old "box of roses" trick like Chevy Chase did in Deal of the Century. Man, I loved that scene. Almost as good as the "touch up" on the flame job on the car!:D

36fan
January 21, 2003, 12:40 PM
This is also my first post here. I'm hoping to gain as much insight and knowledge here as I did at TFL . I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had time to look around much.

I've been eyeing a Marlin 1894 in .357 (it will make a nice companion to my Taurus 617), but my wife has informed me no more guns until I buy her some jewely:mad:
I hate buying jewelry!

If you enjoyed reading about "First post here - one more former TFL member and finally a gun owner!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!