CCW for the 1st Time: Should it Feel Weird?

PDA

Dodge DeBoulet
January 29, 2010, 04:10 PM
I'm past the half-century mark yet have only owned handguns for 3-4 months. I bought them mostly for fun, but decided to get my CFP mostly for convenience.

I strapped on a Blackhawk CQC paddle holster and my S&W M&P .40C with 10 rounds of Federal Premium HST, and pulled on a fleece jacket. The holster does a good job of keeping the gun close, and the fleece hides a lot.

But it feels weird, like I have a secret, and that everyone knows there's something different about me (even though there really isn't and there isn't any way for them to know anyway). Kinda like I'd imagine a girl who's just lost her virginity might feel . . .

I'm hoping that this feeling passes.

Jeez I sound kinda girly :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW for the 1st Time: Should it Feel Weird?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lions
January 29, 2010, 04:15 PM
It should feel like you have a secret because you do, but you have to remember, this isn't a dirty little secret.

Trust me, nobody knows there is anything different about you. Most people are so oblivious of their surroundings, especially what you may or may not have on your hip.

It's nothing to feel weird about, you are just taking steps to ensure your safety.

ArmedBear
January 29, 2010, 04:25 PM
Yes, it will feel weird.

Do it enough, and it will feel weird when you don't have a firearm on you.:)

People really don't notice, even if the gun is apparent. And if they do, they don't say anything.

I was hiking, and I had a 4" 629 (Smith and Wession .44 Magnum revolver, not a small gun) on a belt holster. When we stopped for lunch, I just untucked a thin fleece shirt I had on (thin enough that I use it as a mid layer when it's colder). It was pretty damned obvious that I had a big gun under the shirt. One woman kind of looked at it. Nobody said a thing. It was funny, to me, but I kept my laughter to myself.

JoeSlomo
January 29, 2010, 04:29 PM
Perfectly normal.

Contrary to popular belief, a firearm is nothing more than a tool, and you will soon condition yourself to view it as such and lose any trepidation it may currently cause.

"Lets see, wallet, keys, phone, firearm, spare mag, sunglasses, O.K., good to go...."

CJ
January 29, 2010, 04:35 PM
Yup, it's fairly normal. For me, it makes a good reminder to be more aware of your surroundings (be more in condition yellow rather than white).

WC145
January 29, 2010, 04:35 PM
Just like the girl that lost her virginity, every time you do it you'll get a little more comfortable with it, it's just a matter of time (and maybe marriage) before you almost forget it's there.

SG1
January 29, 2010, 04:37 PM
I felt uncomfortable when I first started carrying too. I think it's natural. Once you've done it for a while, and get comfortable moving around and not feeling like you're printing everytime you bend over or reach for something, it won't bother you at all.

IdahoSkies
January 29, 2010, 05:16 PM
I felt exactly as you described for the first couple of weeks. Now it is normal and when I don't have it with me I feel naked.

ArmedBear
January 29, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hey, don't tell anyone about the skies here.

They are always gray, over the flat landscape, where we all sit around wondering what to do for fun.

oldpuppymax
January 29, 2010, 05:39 PM
I'm near 60 and have used guns for a shade over 51 years. Yet my first day of concealed carry also felt a bit "odd." Don't know why, just a new experience I suppose. Now I don't even think about the Glock or S&W I have on my hip. It's just part of getting dressed to go out of the house.

Webbj0219
January 29, 2010, 05:49 PM
When I first started carrying I remember thinking, hey if I can carry a gun I wonder how many other people are carrying as well. Whereas before that I never thought about anyone else carrying a gun, escept LEO. I was blissfully ignorant I guess. Now that I carry I found myself kinda checking out other people trying to figure if they are carrying as well. Every once in a while I can pick out someone else carrying. I just kinda give them a nod. Feels like a secret brotherhood or something.

ArmedBear
January 29, 2010, 05:54 PM
Every once in a while I can pick out someone else carrying.

Yeah, like when they're carrying a leather fanny pack around front, and it's not 1975, for example.:D

http://www.holsterheaven.com/images/Maxamholster_draw1_325X329X52.jpg

Zundfolge
January 29, 2010, 07:11 PM
Yes, it will feel weird.

Do it enough, and it will feel weird when you don't have a firearm on you.:)
Indeed, this is how I am now. It took me about 6 months to go from "boy this feels weird" when packing to "boy this feels weird" when I can't carry a gun (which is very rare here ... last time I was unarmed was when I went to the tag office to get tags for my car...verboten there. Prior to that was when I had jury duty).

People really don't notice, even if the gun is apparent. And if they do, they don't say anything.

I was hiking, and I had a 4" 629 (Smith and Wession .44 Magnum revolver, not a small gun) on a belt holster. When we stopped for lunch, I just untucked a thin fleece shirt I had on (thin enough that I use it as a mid layer when it's colder). It was pretty damned obvious that I had a big gun under the shirt. One woman kind of looked at it. Nobody said a thing. It was funny, to me, but I kept my laughter to myself.Standing Wolf has told similar stories many times (he open carries a 629 daily and isn't exactly a big man).

When I started CCWing I lived in a state that didn't have legal CCW yet (they do now, but I don't live there anymore), I remember one time a woman bumped into my gun at Walmart and she said "Oh, I hope I didn't damage your cell phone."

harmon rabb
January 29, 2010, 08:12 PM
I felt exactly as you described for the first couple of weeks. Now it is normal and when I don't have it with me I feel naked.

this.

Now that I carry I found myself kinda checking out other people trying to figure if they are carrying as well. Every once in a while I can pick out someone else carrying. I just kinda give them a nod. Feels like a secret brotherhood or something.

haha. so true. the other day, i was at barnes & noble picking up a new load of books to read, and stopped by the magazine rack. i was thumbing through a gun magazine when another guy walked up, picked up a gun mag, and started doing the same. i looked at him and could see he was slightly printing at 3 o'clock. he looked at me and i guess i was slightly printing at 9 o'clock (i like cross draw). i gave him a nod. :D

krmgator
January 29, 2010, 09:16 PM
The first few times I carried I just knew that everyone else knew. My biggest fear was that someone would accidentally bump into me (I like OWB) and yell "gun".

Now I have pocket holster for my snubby in addition to my Don Hume. The fun part is deciding how I want to "dress".

It will pass and congratulations on making a great decision.

wishin
January 29, 2010, 09:21 PM
It feels the same kind of weird as everytime I got promoted and got my new rank insignia on! After a while you forget it's there.

The Lone Haranguer
January 29, 2010, 09:24 PM
But it feels weird, like I have a secret, and that everyone knows there's something different about me (even though there really isn't and there isn't any way for them to know anyway).
"Wal-Mart Walk" for this man, stat! :D

You've experienced the same thing we all have.

LeontheProfessional
January 29, 2010, 09:32 PM
To me there are really only to people that are obvious: Those that are carrying fanny packs (as previously mentioned), Those that wear the vests. Other than that people will not notice. I thought the same thing when I started carrying. Now I just realize that the only people who notice are also carrying. It is kind of like when you get a new car and then start to notice how many other people are driving the same car.

Webbj0219
January 29, 2010, 10:43 PM
I started noticing, but others still dont. I remember seeing a man open carrying at a movie theater once and I pointed it out to my girl. She was like,"where". i say,"right in front of us". She says," I dont see it". Then the man walks around a corner into a croud of ppl. So I can see how most ppl still have a mental block to these.

mljdeckard
January 29, 2010, 11:07 PM
I'll tell you what feels weird. Carrying every day for 12 years, and then moving to a state where you are told you CAN'T. It's like your car is missing seatbelts.

Mr.Davis
January 30, 2010, 12:24 AM
What you described is a totally natural feeling. The first time I carried concealed I was extremely paranoid that I'd get "made" by someone. Carrying a gun, though, I quickly learned, is a great test for the theory that 99% of people have NO CLUE what is going on around them. In my 8 or so months of carry, I've never been "made", to my knowledge (except for my family giving me hugs and brushing the gun, but they know I carry anyway).

Open carry requires a fortitude that I do not yet have. I did it with a loaded gun for the first time last Saturday at my gun club, and of course no one batted an eye. One of these days I'll do it in real public...and since I'm in KY I'm sure no one will care.

rogerjames
January 30, 2010, 02:10 AM
Confidence is a big part of maintaining "concealment". Trust your gear and don't fiddle/play with it. Now you'll want different guns for different attire etc. I use this shoulder bag from coronado leather as an alternative to the fanny pack. I love it and my draw is faster than from IWB. My fiancee calls it a "man purse", "a murse", "a f#@ bag" etc, whatever... I'm 38, 5'7" 190lbs, bald, with a beard. I carry my murse proudly and without apology :D.
http://www.coronadoleather.com/view.aspx?i=95&c=8&p=0

Dodge DeBoulet
January 30, 2010, 08:36 AM
Confidence is a big part of maintaining "concealment". Trust your gear and don't fiddle/play with it. Now you'll want different guns for different attire etc. I use this shoulder bag from coronado leather as an alternative to the fanny pack. I love it and my draw is faster than from IWB. My fiancee calls it a "man purse", "a murse", "a f#@ bag" etc, whatever... I'm 38, 5'7" 190lbs, bald, with a beard. I carry my murse proudly and without apology :D.
http://www.coronadoleather.com/view.aspx?i=95&c=8&p=0
Yep, you need big 'uns to carry that.

Or a big boyfriend :D

(I am, of course, just kidding around. It's actually quite manly. For a purse.)

INSULATION TIM
January 30, 2010, 09:46 AM
I'm still at the uncomfortable stage. Part of my problem is that I don't carry frequently enough to get comfortable about it. I purchased a Cross-Breed Super Tuck IWB holster for my Bersa Thunder. It is amazingly comfortable especially if I wear larger than normal pants (or maybe shed 40 pounds).

I just purchased a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry which I want to make my everyday carry. I just haven't gotten a decent holster for it yet.

I do have a OWB paddle holster that I might try with my full size Kimber. I just never thought of it as a conceal carry holster.

rogerjames
January 30, 2010, 09:59 AM
I carry my XD9 with a Crossbreed Supertuck and I love it!

BULLSI
January 30, 2010, 10:28 AM
Ditch the paddle holster would be my recommendation and get some nice leather.

harmon rabb
January 30, 2010, 11:57 AM
I'll tell you what feels weird. Carrying every day for 12 years, and then moving to a state where you are told you CAN'T. It's like your car is missing seatbelts.

why the hell would you do that? i wouldn't move to a state where i couldn't carry. simple as that.

DERGLOCKINMEISTER
January 30, 2010, 05:44 PM
I carry everywhere it's legal , and I avoid the places it isn't. It started off feeling foreign , but that quickly goes away . Open carry would make me feel as though I was flaunting the weapon and it would quickly take away the element of surprise. I always wonder what effect the open carry guys are hoping to create. I'm fairly well recognized in my local area and I think that it would surprise some folks if they knew I was always armed.

kimberdad
January 30, 2010, 06:06 PM
Being able to carry felt weird to me at first, but it was a good weird. After years of being able to carry, the only weird feeling I get is if I am not carrying. This doesn't happen often, but you kinda feel naked. Enjoy your right to carry and don't leave home without it.

rich636
January 30, 2010, 08:21 PM
But it feels weird, like I have a secret, and that everyone knows there's something different about me (even though there really isn't and there isn't any way for them to know anyway). Kinda like I'd imagine a girl who's just lost her virginity might feel . . .

Hopefully your M&P will call you in the morning and maybe even bring you flowers. Seriously though, it will feel like everyone is staring at you at first. The reality is that no one is noticing, and you will be more at ease after a while. Winter is a great time to start CCing come to think of it. Starting out in a Texas summer, not so much.

Zundfolge
January 30, 2010, 08:39 PM
It is amazingly comfortable especially if I wear larger than normal pants (or maybe shed 40 pounds).

I've been carrying 24/7 long enough that most of my pants are a size larger than I need to accommodate my gun.

But if you don't have any larger pants, these things work great.

http://www.shophometrends.com/images/200/P505019L.jpg
button extenders (http://www.shophometrends.com/product.asp?pn=505019&bhcd2=1264898354)

(of course you can make them with some heavy string and an extra button)

butters
February 1, 2010, 11:16 PM
It was kind of like like buying beer for the first time when I turned 21. It just didn't feel right at first. Still feels weird at times depending on where I am carrying and the clothing I have on.

AJChenMPH
February 2, 2010, 01:08 AM
As others have said, you're not alone -- it took me a little bit to get used to as well. I sort of primed myself by carrying all the time at home before I moved to a state where I could carry legally.

And it only took me...

It took me about 6 months to go from "boy this feels weird" when packing to "boy this feels weird" when I can't carry a gun
...about a month to get that "it feels weird" feeling when I can't carry.

MrCleanOK
February 2, 2010, 01:17 AM
There will come a time when putting on your carry piece in the morning will be like slipping a wallet in your pocket. No big deal. Until that time, DON'T ACT WEIRD. No pulling at your shirt. No funny hop-skips to get your clothes to adjust themselves. No checking out your own butt. If you dress right, and check yourself in the mirror to confirm that you are concealing well, nobody else knows that you're carrying until you start doing rookie moves like tugging at your clothes.

Keep it real, be safe, and remember that you are not a cop or a dog. You are a dude that carries a gun in case he needs to use it to stop somebody from killing him or putting him in a hospital.

NWCP
February 2, 2010, 03:38 AM
It feels odd not to carry after having done so for the better part of 25 years. The novelty will wear off, but not the responsibility. My own wife doesn't know when I'm carrying 9 times out of 10. That's the way it should be. It's not a fashion statement, or anything you should advertise. With a good gun belt, holster and suspenders (it keeps you from having to hitch your drawers up often) your firearm is secure and properly covered no should be the wiser.

Nasty
February 2, 2010, 08:13 AM
Yes...and it *should* feel weird.

You have been reborn...no longer a sheep, but now a sheepdog!

RonBernert
February 2, 2010, 01:14 PM
+1 on this one. It DOES feel wierd when you are not carrying... When it is locke in the car safe, you always wonder how long it will take to get to it..

Jonah71
February 2, 2010, 01:20 PM
I'd have to say, carrying a legally concealed gun feels a lot better.

Jonah71
February 2, 2010, 01:30 PM
I'd have to say, carrying a legally concealed gun feels a lot better.
A little ironic that so many years ago I was more concerned with survival than being legal. Now that I live in the safest environment in my entire life....I'm legal.

Guy de Loimbard
February 2, 2010, 01:52 PM
I started carrying about two years ago with a CZ-82, an el cheapo wal-mart belt, and no holster. It felt weird. I got a holster pronto and it still felt a bit odd but I did get used to the weight of it there. I got a Beltman belt about a year ago and since then putting on a pistol is about like putting on socks in the morning. You do it, it's there, and you don't really think about it for the rest of the day because it just becomes natural to have it there. If you carry enough it feels weird when you don't have it on.

Gouranga
February 2, 2010, 02:45 PM
Like everything else, takes time to get used to. It will grow on you eventually then you'll feel naked without it.

John Parker
February 2, 2010, 03:06 PM
i looked at him and could see he was slightly printing at 3 o'clock. he looked at me and i guess i was slightly printing at 9 o'clock (i like cross draw). i gave him a nod.

...or he was checking you out.

19-3Ben
February 2, 2010, 03:40 PM
Oh man did it feel weird at first!!!!

Every time someone gave me a second look, or checked me out I was afraid he/she had 'made me.'

And it was especially bad with cops, security guards, rent-a-cops, etc... I was totally freaked that they somehow just knew.

I've been carrying 4 years now, and have come to realize that nobody has any clue. It doesn't even enter into their consciousness that I might be carrying. There's no reason to.
Heck there are people who have seen the NRA stickers on my car and know I'm a gun owner and I don't think that even they know I'm carrying. And cops? I've had full-blown conversations with cops who had no idea I was carrying at the time.

As MrClean says, don't act weird. People don't notice a bump on your hip. People do notice you acting all nervous, tugging on your shirt, grabbing your gun through the shirt, etc... Just be cool.
I do give a subtle tug on the bottom of my shirt when I stand up to make sure it didn't catch on the grip of my pistol, but it's not noticeable to anyone. Only my wife has ever picked up on it and she knows when I'm carrying because she sees me get dressed in the morning.

Aka Zero
February 2, 2010, 05:38 PM
I think the weird would wear off after awhile. Like when my wife started carrying a knife, thought it was big and heavy in the pocket. Now she always has one.

Just got to get used to it, like anything else. Wearing a tie, or glasses. just wait until it's normal.

Mainsail
February 2, 2010, 05:48 PM
Give open carry a try, then CC will seem old-hat.

NMGonzo
February 2, 2010, 05:51 PM
I am going for the beltclip on my 1911

Coyote3855
February 2, 2010, 06:15 PM
As Clint Smith says, "A concealed firearm should be comforting, not necessarily comfortable." Or words to that effect.

Yup, feel naked without it.

S&Wfan
February 2, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hi,

Welcome to the world of the sheep dog. As a "good sheep" for so many years it is natural to feel suddenly like a "bad sheep" . . . kind of like you are suddenly a "nut," or a "paranoid" sheep. But you are not. Instead, you are now a "good sheep dog!" You are still one of the good guys . . . certified as a person able to pass a background check . . . and a lot more in many states.

The first test for you is to do the "Wal-mart Walk" as you test whether the minimum wage greeter and all the folks at Wal-mart "notice." They don't have a clue. Neither did you until you started packing! The "Wal-mart Walk" is an unofficial rite of passage it seems . . . a logical place to get over your jitters. It is also a place you SHOULD pack.

WHO NOTICES . . .
Like a pot head can spot other pot heads, the only people who MAY "make" you are the other good guys and the cops. If a cop is concerned, he might approach you . . . but your actions are licensed and TOTALLY legal. After seeing your "I am NOT a convicted felon" license, he'll surely be cool with you. After all, in an extreme emergency when the sheep are cowering and he's stuck absorbing bullets from bad guys . . . he knows there's a sheep dog nearby who is totally concealed, and probably about to unleash a surprising fury on the unsuspecting thugs . . . and this MIGHT just save the cop's life!

I assure you that in time you won't be self-conscious anymore.

I attended a Christmas party and had a great conversation with a veteran Atlanta police captain who was also a guest. We talked in length about the reduction in crime reasons in Atlanta last year. We also talked about armed, legal citizens and he was all for it! He NEVER "made" me . . . yet my "always" J-frame S&W revolver was in its discreet pocket holster. Ironically . . . he was NOT packing!!!

Well . . . maybe he DID make me, but I don't think so. Either way . . . I didn't care, for I was legal . . . and was no threat to anyone there. Heck, I'm no threat to ANYONE . . . unless something bad happens and I CHOOSE to bite back.

Heck, I now even pack when I'm mowing my lawn on a hot summer's day, wearing nothing but gym shorts and a t-shirt. My S&W Airweight snubbie does just fine, even in those light shorts . . . and I get a kick out of talking to folks and KNOW that they are totally clueless that their neighbor has a "snubbie in his pants!";)

Welcome to the world of sheep dogs . . . now relax and start acting cool . . . you have NOTHING to worry about!!!

Bhamrichard
February 3, 2010, 12:14 AM
snubbie in his pants

:what: :neener: :what: :neener: :what: :neener:

Pyzon
February 3, 2010, 12:28 PM
I got a Beltman belt about a year ago

To any of you that are yet to get to the comfort zone of carrying, I can't agree more strongly that a QUALITY belt is the most important investment you will make. If you have to make a choice between a good belt or a good holster, choose the belt first, then start saving for the good holster to replace the crap model that was affordable.

harmon rabb
February 3, 2010, 01:01 PM
link to a good gun belt plz?

NinjaFeint
February 3, 2010, 01:02 PM
It felt weird for me for a little bit. It feels better if I wear pants purchased since my post smoking weight gain. I think the key is finding the gun holster combo that works for you. I have been mostly pocket carrying my PM9 in my leather jacket's interior pocket during the winter and now my jacket feels light if I am carrying IWB.

cougarman
February 3, 2010, 01:11 PM
I do not cc now but might in the future. This has made me think about just carring the holster for awhile first to get used to it before I put my gun in the holster.

LeontheProfessional
February 3, 2010, 04:51 PM
I do not cc now but might in the future. This has made me think about just carring the holster for awhile first to get used to it before I put my gun in the holster.
If you get a good IWB holster you most likely will not notice the holster being there. The only thing that really makes the rig uncomfortable or feel weird is the added weight and bulk of the gun.

OldCavSoldier
February 3, 2010, 04:53 PM
I've carried concealed for so damned long, I cannot even remember how it felt to be a newbie to concealed carry. (Either that or my memory is getting poor!)

For the past 20-odd years, I do not leave the house without carrying...like was in a prior post..."glasses, wallet, keys, gat, speedloader, water bottle...yep, got it all"......I've even been known to mow and edge the lawn with a hidden roscoe in the cargo shorts.

You will eventually get to the point where you will feel naked without your piece, and will refuse to go places you cannot carry it.

OldCavSoldier
February 3, 2010, 04:54 PM
Harmon Rabb: Filson makes a superb leather belt that is most excellent in the role of concealed carry.

OldCavSoldier
February 3, 2010, 04:56 PM
link to a good gun belt plz?
Filson makes a great belt!!

Magic_Man
February 3, 2010, 04:57 PM
I haven't been carrying long, but when I don't have it on me I feel weird.

Ben86
February 3, 2010, 05:15 PM
When I first started carrying I felt like everyone was secretly staring at me. As if at any moment a cop was gonna walk up and tell me to put my hands in the air. It almost made me feel a little criminal, which is sad. It's sad that anti-gun culture can influence me subconsciously. It was on my mind the whole time I was wearing it. This feeling will pass though. It took me about a month to really get comfortable. Now I practically forget I have it on me.

Erik M
February 3, 2010, 07:20 PM
I would suggest High Noon Holsters and Don Hume for top notch quality leather goods.

If you carry on a regular basis It wont be long before you hardly notice that its there.

RonBernert
February 4, 2010, 05:19 PM
I've carried concealed for so damned long, I cannot even remember how it felt to be a newbie to concealed carry. (Either that or my memory is getting poor!)

For the past 20-odd years, I do not leave the house without carrying...like was in a prior post..."glasses, wallet, keys, gat, speedloader, water bottle...yep, got it all"......I've even been known to mow and edge the lawn with a hidden roscoe in the cargo shorts.

You will eventually get to the point where you will feel naked without your piece, and will refuse to go places you cannot carry it.
"You will eventually get to the point where you will feel naked without your piece, and will refuse to go places you cannot carry it. "

+1!!

mljdeckard
February 4, 2010, 05:29 PM
harman rabb,

The only reason I moved there was because I was on military orders. I strapped on again as soon as I crossed the border leaving.

It is tacky, but what I have been using lately is army-issue rigger belts, the new ones that go with ACUs. They are wide, remarkably rigid, and cost eight bucks. Order a black one if you don't want to offend your wife's fashion sensibilities by wearing a sand-colored ones with blue jeans.

harmon rabb
February 4, 2010, 05:30 PM
Mljdeckard,

Do you happen to have a link for those belts?

mljdeckard
February 4, 2010, 05:34 PM
http://uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=7320&TabID=548

They are a little cheaper at a on-post clothing sales store. If you care at all about the color, the army just changed. They used to authorize green, black, or tan. Now they only authorize tan. I don't know if the other services will keep the other colors around. (The air force might.)

Webbj0219
February 4, 2010, 06:00 PM
Ive even developed ways of moving around to accomidate my pistol. For instance when I bend forward to pick something up I rotate my hips forward, so they stay in line with my back. Instead of bending my lower back. I let my legs do most of the work while keeping my back straight, which I think is proper lifting technique. I carry OWB at 4 O'clock, so this techmique prevents my pistole grip from sticking up through my shirt when lifting.

I get so used to moving like this that I continue moving this way even when Im not carrying. Even the shirt tug thing when I stand up(heard someone else on here mention that). When not carrying I still tug on my shirt a lil, then I realize its not there.

shadowalker
February 4, 2010, 06:33 PM
It's very common to feel like everyone is looking at you and knows you are carrying. As you become comfortable with your gear and your concealment the feeling will pass.

Also take a breath and relax, most people don't look for guns on people but your lack of comfort may translate to people getting a weird vibe. Also carry around the house, odds are pretty good if you need a gun it will be while you are at home and it lets you get comfortable with carrying.

Make sure you take steps to maintain your situational awareness, it is probably pretty high right now but a lot of people that carry concealed eventually go back to condition white because they are comfortable.

If I'm awake and it's legal I'm carrying, at this point it feels weird to be unarmed.

Good gun belts and holsters make a world of difference for concealment and comfort. Before switching to a Sig P229 I concealed a P90 quite easily while a friend with comparable body type has a hard time even with compact handguns.

Strahley
February 4, 2010, 07:10 PM
It'll become second nature to you soon enough. Just try not to think about it and act normal. Nobody (shouldn't anyway) knows you are carrying, so don't give them a hint at it

Ben86
February 5, 2010, 12:12 PM
Practicing concealed carry around the house also gave me more confidence for when I first started carrying in public. I actually practiced CC inside and around the house the whole 4 months it took to get my permit and it payed off well.

smoothdraw
February 5, 2010, 12:20 PM
It's weird in first 2 weeks. It's weird for people around me in the 1st two weeks as well. My wife will say "why are you packing we are just going to walmart?" or we are going to church are you packin'?"

Then since i always carry, now no more questions whatsoever. I even could open carry at home now and no question.

I only have question now if i spend a lot of time dry firing or cleaning or reading gun magazines. The wife will say..... guns again!!! You are spending a lot of time on your guns. That's the signal that i should stop dry firing and start washing dishes and clothes and playing with the kids :-)

S&Wfan
February 6, 2010, 12:28 AM
Always get a good belt MADE as a real GUN BELT, rather than finding a more "thick" conventional leather belt.

The weight of the gun will make conventional belts stretch and give over time . . . heck they do anyway, but a good gun belt is double in thickness at the least, and is designed to support the weight of guns, extra ammo, etc.

Also important are your holsters. Most seasoned handgunners have a big drawer full of holsters that turned out to be crappy in one of several ways.

Tonight, when going downtown to walk to a nice restaurant with my wife? My "always" Model 37 S&W .38 snubbie was in its pocket holster. On my belt (a real 1 1/2" wide gun belt), was a 2 1/2" barreled S&W Model 19 (.357 Magnum) under a light jacket.

After dinner we went shopping for groceries. No problem!

PS: Other times my main carry gun on the belt or in a shoulder holster may be a big "N" framed S&W .45ACP revolver, a Kimber lightweight Ultra CDP .45ACP auto, a Para P14 High-Cap. 45ACP, a Model 19 or Model 65 S&W .357, or a steel framed S&W Model 36. Even with these guns, the "always" Model 37 Airweight snubbie is also in its pocket holster. With that gun, it is almost like there's nothing in the pocket!

The key is a good belt (or belts in different colors) and good holsters!

NinjaFeint
February 6, 2010, 01:14 AM
As an add-on to what I said earlier about feeling weird without my PM9 on me, mine came to see the Lion King with me and the lady recently. Sat in a theater seat for almost three hours and it did not bother me at all.

harmon rabb
February 6, 2010, 10:17 AM
My wife will say "why are you packing we are just going to walmart?" or we are going to church are you packin'?"

many people have been mugged in walmart parking lots ;)

Jonah71
February 6, 2010, 11:26 AM
I get a few "crazy gun nut" labels from some people for CCW while in church, but it doesn't bother me. What would ruin my day is to be unarmed if a REAL crazy walked into our church and started shooting. And that happens. I don't recall the city, but I do remember a news piece about a Pastor being shot and killed by a man who just walked into the church (not a member) straight up to the pulpit and started shooting. Not long after that a preacher was shot just outside the front door. There are some really crazy people out there and your safety isn't a "given" just because you're in church. And imo, not being the only person in the place carrying a firearm doesn't make us right wing, gun toting, Christian extremists. We are simply taking steps to protect ourselves and our families. And people who don't understand that are simply showing their ignorance. Again..jmo.

Pyzon
February 6, 2010, 09:12 PM
Sorry to have suggested something without providing the link:

You can find lots of belts at a lower cost, but you will not find higher quality than what Jim can build.

http://www.thebeltman.net/

Al LaVodka
February 6, 2010, 10:55 PM
Dodge;
Yes, it definitely is an odd feeling. You're carrying a gun! I think it should feel odd. It is alot of responsibility and it is supposed to be concealed. Especially at first, you'll be very conscious of it.

I remembered an NRA speaker visiting Vermont who was sent back to his hotel to strap on a gun because it would have insulted the audience that he was not excercising the right EVERYONE there has had the right to do. Vacationing there myself I carried a P-64 even on a tour of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory. Know what? Even my girlfriend didn't know I was wearing it tho she actually touched it a few times -- I can't imagine what she thought it was but it was a week till she asked even though I had been putting it on in front of her and even took it off once somewhere...

Al

Ben86
February 8, 2010, 01:22 AM
many people have been mugged in walmart parking lots

So true. New Orleans East for example. You do not want to walk around that parking lot at night. I have heard so many horror stories about that place.

labhound
February 8, 2010, 09:21 PM
I purchased my first handgun this past year and yes it definitely felt "strange" carrying it for the first few times as well as the first few times having it in the car with me. Good thing is this feeling goes away!

PigButtons
February 9, 2010, 03:02 AM
Funny old law in Vermont that is still on the books: Able bodied men must carry their rifles to Church.

Now we feel a little strange, or like others might think us strange, if we carry to church. Just goes to show what government schools and liberal media does to the collective consciousness.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW for the 1st Time: Should it Feel Weird?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!