shooting next to a pair of .50 cal ars...

PDA

Ridgeway
November 16, 2003, 04:46 PM
Went to the range today, and was pleased to see a pair of benches unoccupied, while the rest of the range was pretty much packed. I did notice the rather large rifle next to me was an ar-50...well as I've never been positioned right next to one I thought what the hell and stayed- I don't think I can hear anymore :)
A couple min. later another fellow set up his .50 cal, dunno what it was as it looked like a normal ar-15 but he was firing .50s out of it...

Anyways the concussions from those two firing one after the next for an hour(the one guy fired 75 rds total, don't know about the other) was quite something- I had to take my glasses off to get a better seal on my ear protection as with the glasses it was way too much(which meant I had to for that time stop shooting my sig as it likes to spit the cases into my forhead, doh)...I digress- I don't think I'll set up next to a .50 again, way to loud for an hour, I was beginning to flinch everytime the guy prepared to fire lol- as the muzzlebreak on it was sending quite a bit of excess gas/sound in my direction...

twas interesting :)

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting next to a pair of .50 cal ars..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Travis McGee
November 16, 2003, 05:03 PM
There's a REASON that bench was unoccupied! LOL! I'd recommend plugs AND muffs, at least!

http://matthewbracken.web.aplus.net/snakelogo.jpg

4v50 Gary
November 16, 2003, 05:19 PM
Also need a blast deflector. Imagine being one of those navy gunners aboard a WW II ship. 20 mm & 40 mm ack ack and no hearing protection? What?

chevrofreak
November 16, 2003, 06:20 PM
A .50BMG rifle with a brake has enough blast to knock a rifle off the bench next to it :eek:

mattd
November 16, 2003, 06:27 PM
They can also shoot satellites out of space.

Justin
November 16, 2003, 06:30 PM
I have it on good authority that plugs and muffs is the way to go if you're shooting or near a .50 BMG.

mpthole
November 16, 2003, 07:08 PM
I always double up when I'm shooting my Barrett. ;) And I sure as heck would never want to be another shooter sitting next to one when they go off. As the shooter, the blast is managable... getting pounded with the blast from the muzzle brake is something else.

Glad you stuck it out and didn't complain. So, did it make you want to buy one? :evil:

glockten
November 16, 2003, 08:24 PM
I once stood about 20 feet from a Barrett M82A1 being fired at Knob Creek. I must have been directly in line with the ports in the muzzle brake: I could feel my teeth vibrate with every shot.

It made me want to buy one.:)

Chipperman
November 16, 2003, 08:34 PM
He fired 75 rounds of .50?

Jeez, that's a week's salary!

:p

MeekandMild
November 16, 2003, 08:55 PM
They can also shoot satellites out of space. And they can pass through metal detectors and x ray machines.

Ridgeway
November 16, 2003, 08:59 PM
He fired 75 rounds of .50?

Jeez, that's a week's salary!

well he kept his cases to obviously reload, so that would somewhat mitigate it I guess, but still would be rather $

I'd recommend plugs AND muffs, at least!

yeah, next time to go to KCR I think I will bring plugs along in addition...

mattd
November 16, 2003, 09:10 PM
And they can pass through metal detectors and x ray machines.

Anything can pass through metal detectors that fit.

50 Shooter
November 16, 2003, 09:45 PM
We always set up at the far end of the range to keep clear of other people but it always seems like someone has to set up right next to us. We always warn them that we're shooting .50's and they usually say "okay". Funny how they're gone after the first shot, good to here you stuck it out as the AR-50 probably has the biggest amount of muzzle blast. Did you notice the deflector behind the brake?

We actually had one guy stupid enough to sit down at the bench next to one of our rifles without earplugs. Seems he wanted to sit down and watch his friends shoot some trap, friends wife sat down behind his .50 at the same time. If I remember right he rolled out of the chair holding his head, bet he won't do that again.:what:

David Park
November 16, 2003, 10:11 PM
At SodaPop's last THR meet in PA, I was next to some guys with an AR-50. I had plugs + muffs, so it wasn't that bad. The breeze kept me cool. :cool: I don't think they fired 10 rounds all day, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting next to a pair of .50 cal ars..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!