Cheap truck gun

PDA

schlockinz
January 30, 2010, 04:36 PM
I'm toying with the idea of getting an inexpensive truck gun to keep at my place.

I'm looking for a gun that I can hide in the house that isn't pretty but will shoot good enough and have enough mmph for a pig. Initially this was the goal for my 45-70, but now that its been scoped, and I know that it doesn't always feed the 3rd round reliably, I've been toying with the idea of a Mosin Nagant or an SKS that I'd leave open sighted.

If I get a Nagant from someone like J&G, is it worth the money to get a hand selected gun? Is it worth buying guns from the big internet sellers, or should I just dig in and start looking for one to pop up locally?

SKSs, would these be a better pig gun? I sorta like the idea of a carbine in case I decide to walk the woods looking for a pig, it just seems like the SKSs are getting too expensive for what they are (hell, I might be able to get an AK for the same price nowadays it seems).

Saiga, locally they are the price of an sks, but I can get them in 223 or 308 (same price for any of them). Don't really know too much about them other than the fact that if I were to get an AK, it'd be a Saiga instead.

Lastly, are there peep sight systems available for either of these rifles? I can shoot most buckhorn style sights well enough, it just takes me a long time to aim them accurately, so a peep would be nice in case I get into a herd of them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap truck gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LEVRLOVR
January 30, 2010, 04:46 PM
My recommendation would be a trapper length carbine in .44 mag. or 30/30.

lgbloader
January 30, 2010, 05:08 PM
M44.

I picked mine up for $70.00

or try a shotgun, used 12 Gauge Mossy's go for $200. Keep shot, 00, and slugs handy in the truck with it.

LGB

Hunterdad
January 30, 2010, 05:20 PM
20ga Pardner Single Shot. Thats what I use and love it. I can shoot birds then turn around and shoot a deer.

MCgunner
January 30, 2010, 06:25 PM
I've got a couple I like. I have a Rossi .357 carbine that is pretty amazing ballistically and very light and handy in the field. I have a SKS carbine I put a Choate camo stock on, cut off the bayonet lug, put a ambi safety on. I had a scope mount on it, but I have better hunting rifles, so I pulled the mount off and started using it as a truck gun. The thing is a couple of lbs heavier than the Rossi, not quite as handy to carry, though I have a flush fitting 5 round magazine on it so I can carry it at the balance point and get my hand around it. It's just a bit longer and heavier. What I do like about it over the Rossi and why I usually grab the SKS on the way out the door is that when I get back to my truck, it's a lot easier to unload, just lower the magazine floor plate and dump 'em in my hand. That Rossi, I have to jack the rounds out of one at a time and it tosses 'em a country mile. Too, the 154 wolf is pretty accurate and equivalent to .30-30 and will shoot farther than the .357.

I had an old 20" 7x57 1916 Spanish Mauser for a while that was pretty cool for that, too, but sold it to a friend who needed it for what I had in it. It was a nice old gun, though. A Nagant, one of the carbine length ones, would be decent, too. They're quite accurate and handy. All the military guns are heavy because they have a lot of metal in 'em. A 94 or 92 or 336 or 1894 lever carbine will be handier afield. But, for a little more weight, those old military guns do have advantages and, hell, I just like old military guns. :D I don't really care to hunt with 'em, but as a utility rifle, ranch rifle down on my place, general truck gun, they're damned hard to beat. Calibers can be odd, 7.62x54R for instance, but another big bonus is, at least until the last year, there was lots of cheap milsurp to buy for them. I have dies for the SKS, but never use 'em. Wolf is just too cheap and it shoots just fine. I do reload for my .357 carbine and feel obligated to search for brass at the range when I shoot it. Don't care with the SKS, just let 'em fly. They're steel case berdan primed, anyway.

MCgunner
January 30, 2010, 06:26 PM
Oh, yeah, sometimes I take my 20 gauge SxS Spartan coach gun. It makes a good combination gun with shot in one barrel and a slug in the other.

ReadyontheRight
January 30, 2010, 06:40 PM
If you can still find a cheap SKS, get it. They are great guns.

AND, jump on the M44. And prepare for constant cleaning becasue the ammo is corrosive. Also -- Mine had a bunch of misfires. I needed to clean and lube the bolt. Shoot it a lot and make sure it will go "bang" when you need it to do so.

I will also pile on the 30-30 bandwagon. Great to shoot, classic American gun and very easy to transport and carry.

All being equal, I would go with the Winchester or Marlin 30-30. If an SKS or M44 is 1/2 the price, the 30-30 is going to always be available.

JKimball
January 30, 2010, 07:22 PM
I like the shotgun idea. Lots of versatility there.

If you're wanting rifle range, the SKS would be awesome. I got mine when they were $100 and even though they have become a lot more expensive than that, I don't know that they are expensive for what they are - a reliable and accurate semi auto rifle with a ten round mag. I've had good experience with J&G, but I think they may be sold out of SKSs right now.

The M44 would be great too, it does have that "pig sticker" that might come in handy. :)

schlockinz
January 30, 2010, 08:19 PM
Welp, went out to the local shop to look at some of the guns they had.

No used lever carbines

SKS from 450 "new" with synthetic collapsible stock to 400 used norinco, everything matching, looked like nice guns.

They also had some saigas there for 420 (every kind but the 30.06). These seem sweet, but I was hoping to get a better deal.

If I were to go the route of the SKS or Saiga, whats the overall preference out there. The SKS, to me, felt like it was built like a brick ****house. The Saiga was lighter and had a better sight picture, I'm just not sure about the accuracy. I'm most likely looking at 150yd for a max here, after that and I'll just need to sneak a little closer.

So far, it looks like the 45/70 will just get retrieved and buried in a case underneath the insulation unless I can find a deal on something else.

alsaqr
January 30, 2010, 08:41 PM
If you can still find a cheap SKS, get it. They are great guns.

Bingo.
Get an SKS. Had one behind the seat of my truck for years.

ColeK
January 30, 2010, 08:55 PM
My recommendation would be a used lever action carbine w/16.5" barrel in .44 mag. or 30/30.

RumRunner
January 30, 2010, 09:08 PM
SKS or a lever

Kubenzi86
January 31, 2010, 05:00 PM
I agree on the SKS. Though, now they seem to run just as expensive as the saigas in the same caliber, between 3 and 400 dollars.

MCgunner
January 31, 2010, 05:35 PM
to 400 used norinco

WOWSERS! I paid 75 bucks for mine, don't have 250 tied up in it with all the extras. I feel pretty good now, thanks! :D

I gave 115 for my paratrooper. I dressed it up kinda tacticool. I don't like it as a field gun, just a range toy.

schlockinz
January 31, 2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I'd love to have an SKS, but I feel like anything over $250 is too expensive. For just a little more I could get a new saiga in a caliber that I could more reliably get ammo for (ie 223 or 308 is available at most rural hardware stores here)

MCgunner
January 31, 2010, 05:54 PM
The ergos, safety location, etc kinda suck on a Saiga for field use, though. If the SKSs have gone up THAT much, hell, you can usually stumble across an old 94 or 336 in .30-30 pretty cheap at the pawn shops and, well, who doesn't stock .30-30? I'd WAY FAR AND AGAIN druther have a 94 or 336 for the ergos for field use than any Saiga.

dbb1776
January 31, 2010, 05:58 PM
I second the single shot shotgun. Easy to switch from bird to pig, and IF it gets stolen your out 117.00 if you got it brand new.

schlockinz
January 31, 2010, 06:04 PM
yeah, at this point its looking like it'll either be the mosin, or remove the glass from the guide gun, and become proficient with slugs from my shotgun in case I see them while duck hunting.

Or hell, I could just get the mosin, put the glass on it, peep the '95, and then use the mosin in case I got a friend whose gun craps out on them (or if I am hunting where I don't need the higher powered scope on my 30.06).

So many options, so many guns, too long till tax returns

snakeman
January 31, 2010, 06:12 PM
I would go with either a 30/30 or some other lever carbine. You could also go with a quality ak. Handguns and defensive shotguns are pretty easy to hide also. Your requirements seem to be pretty leniant. The mosins are good guns but tend to be horribly inaccurate and have terrible trigger from my experience. I recently dropped a howa ultralight 308 barreled action into a boyds jrs stock and it looks great and shoots even better. It's also very handy.

MCgunner
January 31, 2010, 06:14 PM
I haven't seen one other option mentioned. Buy a Savage bolt in caliber of your choice for the scope, take the scope of the 95 and scope the Savage. The Stevens 200 is the same gun less the "accutrigger", same as my older Savage 110 and it's a decent shooter. Trigger is danged nice, too. Don't see no use for any accutrigger as my old one is tuned down to about 3 lbs and very crisp. It's fully adjustable. This would cost ya about 250-300 or so I'm guessing for the Stevens and you might find a used Savage 110 somewhere for cheap. They've sold well since the come back in the late 80s.

The mosins are good guns but tend to be horribly inaccurate and have terrible trigger from my experience.

Trigger is typical military, but inaccurate? That's not been MY experience at all. Never owned one, but my buddy has several and they're all good shooters.

surjimmy
January 31, 2010, 06:38 PM
British Jungle 303, cheap and almost destructible.

Kubenzi86
February 1, 2010, 05:55 PM
"Yeah, I'd love to have an SKS, but I feel like anything over $250 is too expensive. For just a little more I could get a new saiga in a caliber that I could more reliably get ammo for (ie 223 or 308 is available at most rural hardware stores here)"

The .223's should be under 400 dollars in stock form. Everywhere i see stock 308's they are close to 600.

schlockinz
February 1, 2010, 06:11 PM
The place that I looked at the Saigas have them all prices the same (high for everything but the 308), but it looks like this money will go elsewhere instead. Hell, I got the marlin guide gun for this reason and just scoped it because I broke the sights and had a scope laying around. Maybe I'll take the scope off or put a lower powered one on it (kinda like having a scope on it, helps me pick out the piggies at 100+yds)

Thanks for the input, maybe one day when I'm richer I'll get myself a good truck gun.

Hunterdad
February 2, 2010, 01:27 PM
You could always try the Hi-Point carbine in .40. That would be plenty of gun.

Onward Allusion
February 2, 2010, 05:12 PM
+1 on the M44. Inexpensive, accurate, reliable, easy to maneuver, & plentiful ammo.

Gord
February 2, 2010, 05:26 PM
+1 on the Mosin, but go for an M38, not a 44 - you really don't need a bayonet for piggies (unless you decide you want to go spearhunting) and the extra weight is quite noticeable out there at the muzzle end.

Coyote3855
February 9, 2010, 06:57 PM
Marlin 336?

peptoe
February 9, 2010, 07:54 PM
I just found a nice Glennfield 30A (30-30) for $199, seems to me you could find something simular if you looked hard enough. I also found a 94 swede mouser for $160 recenty, sporterized of course. Keep an eye on the used stands, IMHO. Here the run of the mill Mosins are going for around $200 big ones a pop, seems a bit pricey huh.

Deltaboy
February 9, 2010, 08:08 PM
Single shot gun or a 30/30.

MCgunner
February 9, 2010, 08:49 PM
I just found a nice Glennfield 30A (30-30) for $199, seems to me you could find something simular if you looked hard enough. I also found a 94 swede mouser for $160 recenty, sporterized of course. Keep an eye on the used stands, IMHO. Here the run of the mill Mosins are going for around $200 big ones a pop, seems a bit pricey huh.

Mmm,. my income tax return is due next Friday. I wish we had better pawn shops around here. :rolleyes: I'd like to find an old .thuddy thuddy like that. :D

mikana
February 9, 2010, 09:04 PM
+100 on the Hi Point 4095. GREAT truck gun, lifetime no questions warranty on gun (not owner), accurate, and cheap to shoot... also can be had used for @ $150.

If not enough power, then one of the mosin carbines would be a great choice or a one of these http://www.samcoglobal.com/m24.html

schlockinz
February 9, 2010, 09:08 PM
The stores here just have higher prices. I saw the pistol that I bought new in 09 for less money than a used one is going for in this town...

otcconan
February 9, 2010, 09:30 PM
My truck gun would be a Mini-14, to be honest.

paintballdude902
February 9, 2010, 09:43 PM
either a .30-30 or a 12 gauge

ive used both and enjoy boy but my next truck gun will be either a mini-14 or a semi 20ga with an 18 inch barrel and folding stock

peptoe
February 9, 2010, 10:30 PM
I found my Glenfield and 30-30 and the Mauser 94 at my local GS, pawn shops around here are way over priced.

Also, a nice .22 mag would be a good truck gun, unless your hunting deer. It seems you'd have another rifle for that though. Also a nice Stevens rifle in most calibers would due as well, I think they come with some stock irons.

schlockinz
February 9, 2010, 10:52 PM
A new mini would be awesome, but for that kind of money I'd rather go for an AR in 7.62x39

FWIW, the gun that I'm looking for needs to be big enough to kill a hog at 100yds, so most pistol calibers and rimfires are out of the question.

MCgunner
February 10, 2010, 12:01 AM
If they weren't a bit steep, a used .30-30/12 or .30-30/20 gauge Savage 24V comes to mind, also. They're high, though, if you find one.

LeontheProfessional
February 10, 2010, 12:13 AM
Mini 14 or a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Both are utterly reliable and relatively inexpensive to feed.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 10, 2010, 12:18 AM
I'm toying with the idea of getting an inexpensive truck gun to keep at my place.

I'm looking for a gun that I can hide in the house

So which is it - a truck gun or house gun? Because the answer varies. Your question makes no sense, frankly.

schlockinz
February 10, 2010, 10:14 AM
I don't live in a place where I'd just leave the gun in the truck, it'll be tossed into the back when I head out to the ranch.

So, it still needs to have all the properties of a truck gun, its just not going to be wrapped in a piece of carpet and left behind the seat like some other people have suggested to me (the last thing I need is some dumbarse in my area breaking into my car and getting a gun out of the deal.

MCgunner
February 10, 2010, 11:03 AM
It's really too bad the price of SKSs have gone up so much. When I bought my two Norincos, they were around 100 bucks. I got the rifle for 75 and the paratrooper for 115. They're AWESOME at that price, but 3 or 400 bucks takes the awesome out of 'em a bit, I reckon. I need to get a pic of my rifle with the scope off it. It has a flush fit 5 round mag, the bayonet lug is cut off for a more snag free barrel, ambi safety, really cool camo polymer (rugged) choate stock with a proper LOP, and a ventilated metal heat guard. It's tough as nails yet actually pretty neat to look at and it carries well in the field with that flush fitting magazine. My only gripe with it is that it's a lot heavier than it need be for the caliber, but I guess that's part of why it's so rugged, lots of metal in that thing for its physical size.

The only real bargains left in milsurp are the Mosin Nagants. They can be had for around a C note, but they used to be about 40 bucks a pop, so they've gone up, too. Might can find an Enfield or some old Spanish Mauser or something, haven't looked in a while. I picked up a 7x57 Spanish Mauser (1916) for 60 bucks back in the day, too, and it's a heckuva hog stopping caliber. I imagine the price of those are going up, though, as supply was more limited.

Legionnaire
February 10, 2010, 04:54 PM
My choice would be an older Remington 760 in .30-06. Cut the barrel down to 18 inches, shorten the stock a tad, and mount a fixed 4X or 1-4X variable scope on it. I think detachable mags are the way to go for a truck gun, and you can pick up .30-06 ammo anywhere.

CoRoMo
February 10, 2010, 06:53 PM
Maverick or Pardner pump 12g is my choice. Brand new for less than $200, used for even less.

MCgunner
February 10, 2010, 07:00 PM
Maverick or Pardner pump 12g is my choice. Brand new for less than $200, used for even less.

FWIW, the gun that I'm looking for needs to be big enough to kill a hog at 100yds, so most pistol calibers and rimfires are out of the question.

I would not consider the shotgun ideal to 100 yards without rifle sights. Even with rifle sights, accuracy might be fleeting at 100 yards. .30-30 is superior....or the .45 70 he already has.

CoRoMo
February 10, 2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah... uh... my choice doesn't actually need to meet that requirement. It just needs to be cheap and able to stop whatever I fire it at, at ranges much closer than 100 yards.

My bad.:)

schlockinz
February 10, 2010, 07:16 PM
Trust me, I thought long and hard about a shotgun, just didn't seem like I'd have too much need for it, that, and slugs are friggin expensive it seems. Bought some today in case I do end up using the shotgun, about a buck a piece seems outrageous to me (bought at Academy)

Oh well, may have found a gun that'll do the trick. The 45/70 will be transferred back to primary hunting rifle, being brought out when I'm specifically out looking for piggies.

schlockinz
February 10, 2010, 07:17 PM
Besides, a shotgun isn't really a black rifle, and this is my excuse to get one, and then "hunt" vermin with it :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap truck gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!