Idiot friend left idiot scratch on brand new Colt 1991...

PDA

SA Town
January 31, 2010, 12:15 AM
Just turned 21 and had a friend show me how to take the gun apart... only to leave the seemingly infamous idiot scratch on it. <Low road silliness removed>

What should I do? Should I get it refinished or something? I'm sure plenty of you folks out there have had to deal with this problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "Idiot friend left idiot scratch on brand new Colt 1991..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oro
January 31, 2010, 12:27 AM
It's stainless you said? Just polish it out.

amd6547
January 31, 2010, 12:45 AM
You needed your friend to show you how to take apart your new pistol which must have come with no manual and a new owner unable to google? Who's the idiot?

gc70
January 31, 2010, 12:47 AM
You can polish the scratch out, but that area will be somewhat shinier than the brushed flats of your Colt.

Or you can sand the scratch out (330 grit approximates the brushed look), but the surface will no longer be flat and even with the surrounding surface.

Or you can refinish all of the flats on your gun - a long and painstaking job if done properly.

Or you can chalk the scratch up to experience, recognizing that most 1911s have 'idiot marks."

BTW, if you reinstall the slide release lever as shown in the picture below, you can avoid another scratch or making the scratch worse. Having a thumb above and below the slide release lever keeps it from getting away from you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gc70/No_more_idiot_marks.jpg

David E
January 31, 2010, 01:16 AM
Whenever you ask for the help of a friend who knows something you don't, you assume all risks.

Such as, he didn't know as much as you thought he did......but he still knew more than you.

Now you have the added lesson of knowing how "idiot marks" happen. Who knows, maybe YOU would've done it yourself, only worse, had you tried it without your friends help...or the first time you did it without his supervision.

rellascout
January 31, 2010, 01:17 AM
Flitz metal polish should take care of it unless it is a matte finish.

earlthegoat2
January 31, 2010, 01:24 AM
Who knows, maybe YOU would've done it yourself, only worse, had you tried it without your friends help...or the first time you did it without his supervision.

Exactly.

I was going to say since YOU bought the 1911 then YOU should know how to care for it whether it is shooting it or field stripping it.

Now, I understand you could have read up on it a lot and still put an idiot mark on your gun the first time you put it back together. I bought a 1911 as my first pistol and luckily it already had the mark from some previous owner so I didnt have to give it to it myself which I KNOW I WOULD HAVE DONE.

It is not the end of the world. A little Flitz applied judisciously is the ticket I think. Dont try to remove it completly just try to make it less pronounced. It does not really hurt the value on the resale market since idiot marks are pretty common.

SA Town
January 31, 2010, 01:36 AM
"You needed your friend to show you how to take apart your new pistol which must have come with no manual and a new owner unable to google? Who's the idiot?"

Sorry for not clarifying... he actually asked me to show him the gun. I didn't ask him for his help yet he kept insisting I learned right then and there (have only had the gun for a few days and haven't gotten the chance to play with it much). You know, he is one of those people that is very pushy with everything :)

I guess I'll just have to get over it. A tool is a tool, yet I don't think that it is unreasonable for someone to be upset that their very first handgun that hadn't even been taken out to shoot yet is already scratched... heh.

Thanks for the advice so far... but just a quick question regarding the refinishing:

What would you recommend for a refinish? I've heard of Ionbond and was curious if it would not only cover this up completely, but would show less scratches if I were to actually scratch this myself in the future.

Thanks for listening to a young, dumb man rant.

gc70
January 31, 2010, 01:51 AM
What would you recommend for a refinish?

None - put the gun in your safe and leave it there if you are that worried about the gun's appearance. Scratches, scuffs, and rubs are a normal consequence of using a gun.

I've heard of Ionbond and was curious if it would not only cover this up completely, but would show less scratches if I were to actually scratch this myself in the future.

There are a variety of finishes and treatments that increase the surface hardness of guns, thereby reducing the number of encounters that will actually mar a gun's surface appearance. The more sophisticated finishes and treatments have no discernable thickness (Ionbond = 2 microns, Melonite = 10 microns, human hair = 100 microns) and any existing irregularities in the surface of the gun will still show.

BTW, I bought a used 1991 Government Model at an attractive price because it was all scratched up - no major dings or dents, just a lot of scratches. I personally refinished the gun as shown in the picture below. You can imagine my frustration when I took the gun to my (former) gunsmith for some work and he thoughtfully put an idiot mark on my newly refinished gun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gc70/Colt-G.jpg

ozhuntsman
January 31, 2010, 02:05 AM
anyone have a pic of an idiot scratch for someone who is yet to see one?

i take it it's damage done due to lack of knowledge and skill in handling a gun.

gc70
January 31, 2010, 02:14 AM
Here is a thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5808697) with pictures of idiot marks.

surjimmy
January 31, 2010, 03:20 AM
It was his first gun, and it was new. I would be a little upset too. OP believe me, if you do anything with it other then keeping it in a safe this won't be the last scratch you get on it. Try some Metal Glo, I have found it wks better then Fletz. Good luck and enjoy, also welcome to the 1911 family. Their like Lays Potato Chips. you can't have just one.

ccsniper
January 31, 2010, 05:40 AM
gc70, How on earth did you take that photo? The first one that is.

CajunBass
January 31, 2010, 06:15 AM
I'd have probably been upset too, if it was my first gun and all. If it's going to get scratched, and it will, I want to do it myself. ;)

Years ago, when I bought my first Jeep CJ-5, the old fellow who owned the dealership came out as I was getting in to leave, came out and pointed to a power line dirt road across the street. "Go ahead and take it down there and get it scratched RIGHT NOW, and you'll never have to worry about it again." It was good advice. :eek: :D

JDGray
January 31, 2010, 07:01 AM
Sorry bout your gun:( I had a brand new CZ75B, that I was shooting at an indoor range, when the cease fire command was givin. The range owner used my lane to climb over the barrier to go downrange, he slid my pistol over so he wouldn't step on it, scratching it in the process. Its got many others on it now, but I put them on it!

Mark F
January 31, 2010, 07:34 AM
That guy would have been BUYING me a new pistol.

gc70
January 31, 2010, 10:28 AM
gc70, How on earth did you take that photo? The first one that is.

My son took the photo.

OleCodger
January 31, 2010, 10:42 AM
GC, did your son ever consider a job as photographer for National Geographic? I asked another THR member about his camera and his response was that most people already have more camera than they know how to use.................yes OP, sorry, I realize that I digress......

hogshead
January 31, 2010, 10:50 AM
Wait till you get an ar everbody wants to show you how to take it apart. My brother in law swears he was an armor in the Army he has took 2 of my ar's down and I had to put both of them back together. I wont mention what the pins looked like. I do have to say that it was somewhat ammusing to watch him trying to get bolt back in.

Zerodefect
January 31, 2010, 10:55 AM
1911's get ugly fast when you actually shoot/carry/train with them. Give it 5 years of wear and tear then get it refinished. Maybe a rust resistant melonite coating. If one idiot scratch bothers you then your going to be hurting bad soon. Get over the bling. My favorite guns are by far the most ugly.

Real tools get scratched up. Any gun of mine that sits in the safe "scratch free" too long gets sold.

gb6491
January 31, 2010, 12:30 PM
I feel the OP's pain. Yes, it's a tool and tools that are used gets dents, dings, scratches, etc. However, an "idiot mark" is the result of something done improperly: a badge of incompetence. That it was done by someone else just adds insult to injury. A competent smith should be able to clean up such a mark on a stainless gun in short order and at a reasonable price. DIY would involve, sanding out the mark (use a sanding block on the flats), matching the rest of the finish (directional sanding in the 400-600 grit range), taping off and blasting the matte finish area.
Regards,
Greg

BTW, that's very good advice that Jolly Roger gives below and worth a try before more drastic action.

Jolly Rogers
January 31, 2010, 12:51 PM
Red ScotchBrite abrasive pad rubbed in line with the grain in the brushed finish. DO NOT rub back and forth as the abrasive will leave swirl scratches that will show up easily. Apply the pad to the surface and stroke the pad one way and lift it off. Repeat as necessary. Works for me and I scratched my new Springer stainless .45 early on. :scrutiny: It passes muster now with no evidence of my carelessness.
Joe

Airburst
January 31, 2010, 12:52 PM
You should see the idiot mark I put on my high gloss blued 1991A1. I hate it but I learned to embrace it and got on with my life.

Al LaVodka
January 31, 2010, 01:22 PM
Sorry your first and new gun got a scratch. In the long run, it won't matter. Stuff happens. Let your friend know how ya feel but shrug it off with him -- its not really him, its the scratch, and he IS a friend. Choose not to look at it everytime you shoot or take it apart until you scratch it up yourself, take a deep breath, and move on. Again, in the long run, we're all dead.
Al

luigi
January 31, 2010, 01:47 PM
However, an "idiot mark" is the result of something done improperly; a badge of incompetence.

This, I can't argue W/

Dimis
January 31, 2010, 02:00 PM
can you still shoot the firearm?
can you hit things accuratly?
are you going to use this gun?
in a life and death situation do you think the person doing you harm cares about this scratch?
unless you purchased this gun as a collectors item there is no reason to complain

anything you plan on using will degrade quickly from scratches, wear, chips, dings, and maybe even drops

if this is your first gun my suggestion is shoot the bajeezus out of it and learn to use it THEN and only then get a gun you want to be prestine

IMHO its like buying a 16 yo a corvette C6ZO6 or dodge viper ACR as there first car
no one should start at the top without knowledge and experience you inevitably destroy it in the end

benderx4
January 31, 2010, 02:30 PM
When it comes to 1911s and "idiot marks", there are those who have, and those who will. Personally, I still use the piece of duct tape ......

SwampWolf
January 31, 2010, 04:05 PM
I keep a plastic-coated playing card in my cleaning kit for 1911 field-stripping duties. Note: I think the op was merely asking for advice and maybe a little commiseration. I don't think that the high-handed criticism and self-serving sarcasm doled out was especially helpful.

HisSoldier
January 31, 2010, 07:18 PM
I can't believe the people saying this is no big deal. I try to handle my guns with care, and to teach people how to disassemble 1911's without putting idiot marks on them.

There is a great thread on this in the 1911 forum. A man whom I consider to be a personal friend even though I've never met him, "Log man", is so knowledgeable about 1911's that I read everything he writes about them, and I've learned alot from him and others in that forum.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653

Once you modify your slide stop like this you will be amazed at how easy it is to install it without making a mark. It takes a few seconds (Literally!) with a fine tapered swiss file.

gc70
January 31, 2010, 07:58 PM
Sure, the OP has every right to be PO'ed. But short of pistol whipping his (former?) friend with his slightly-scratched all-steel gun, what is the OP going to do? What he did was to come here seeking knowledgeable advice about fixing the problem and preventing future problems. That sounds like a responsible course of action by the OP.

angel1216
January 31, 2010, 08:22 PM
hey SA town,
that "idiot scratch" is sooo ugly! i would get rid of it! i'll give you $500 for it!

SuperNaut
January 31, 2010, 09:08 PM
I once asked Larry at FBMG if I could field strip a brand new Sig 1911 at the store. It was so tight that I couldn't get the slide release back in upon reassembly. I was sweating like a horse thinking I was going to idiot scratch it and have to buy it. I finally swallowed my pride and said "I can't get the dern thing back in!" and let Larry take over. He struggled with it and struggled with it and finally used a cleaning cloth to protect the frame and smacked it back in. I was glad he had a hard time with it too because I was feeling like a dork (more than usual that is).

In retrospect, I probably should have bought that thing, it locked up like a bank vault.

MyTFAL
January 31, 2010, 11:54 PM
Apparantly Colt doesn't think it's a big deal.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q69-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx

gc70
February 1, 2010, 12:09 AM

That must be the new "pre-scratched" model that allows you to avoid the heartbreak of putting the first scratch on your new gun. :D

SA Town
February 1, 2010, 03:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. Interesting to see different points of view.

"However, an "idiot mark" is the result of something done improperly: a badge of incompetence. That it was done by someone else just adds insult to injury"

Although that quote by GB precisely sums up my thoughts, I manned up and took the gun out to the range today for the first time anyways. I figured that since it had been brutally sodomized (scratched) it no longer has the privilege of sitting at home being a display piece - it had to earn its keep.

My day today brightened as the gentlemen next to me and a few range officers complimented my shooting as a person who's never shot a handgun before, and the fact that it was around 30 degrees (pretty much sub-zero for Texans). It was even cooler knowing that a few of them were retired military and weren't handing out false praise... I hope :)

I read the manual, took the gun apart, and reassembled it without idiot scratching it - ironically. Over the years my OCD will need to take a back seat if I ever hope to truly enjoy my firearms.

Thanks again folks.

Zach S
February 1, 2010, 08:19 AM
I understand that guns are tools, but so are cars. Would anyone out there like it if someone borrowed your car then put a huge scratch in the paint. I'll answer it for you. You wouldn't. You'd be pretty pissed off. Does the car still run? Yes. Would you view it as a badge of honor? Probably not. Would the car be worth as much if you traded it in? No.
Not exactly a good analogy. A decent looking, good running ten year old car off a lot will cost you a few grand. My most expensive 1911 cost me $650, my stainless 1991A1 cost me $550 OTD.

My truck is a tool. I don't care about scratches and dents on it. I've been rear-ended three times, and I've never filed a claim. You wanna borrow it? That's fine with me. Bring it back with the needle on full, lights and windows intact, and no serious body damage that involves a bumper cutting into a tire or doors that no longer open or close.

Oh, give the tailgate a good pull when you shut it to make sure it doesn't fall off, again...

BTW, here's a pic I posted in the rifle forum yesterday:
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/zephyr351c/DSCN0211.jpg

The idiot mark doesnt bother me a bit. To be honest, I dont even know if any of mine have it...

OleCodger
February 1, 2010, 08:35 AM
SA, congrats on your first day out. Sounds like you have been bitten by the bug and once that happens, life is never the same !!! One thing that you probably have already learned about this fourm.......there are a HUGE number of widely diverse opinions and that makes it interesting. And some (including myself) get carried away at times.......In spite of that, we have one common thread, the love of guns and the freedom to use them in a sane manner.

Happy Shootin' and Stay Safe......

FIVETWOSEVEN
February 1, 2010, 05:39 PM
if i did it it would be annoying, if someone else did it i would be ticked. i would rather the gun get scratches through MY use, not someone elses.

ricebasher302
February 1, 2010, 05:46 PM
Yep. Aren't you supposed to be extra careful with other people's stuff anyway?

figment
February 1, 2010, 06:01 PM
I bought a 10mm elite at a discount like new except for the scratch and am going to try this:
http://www.amazon.com/EZBrite-RC-J07-P-12-Revere-Stainless/dp/B002E0114I/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_a
very sparingly in the direction of the scratch

Ben86
February 1, 2010, 06:07 PM
You have called the 1911 a 1991 too many times for me to not mention it. :)

I know it sucks to scratch your guns. It sucks even more when you didn't even do it. But keep in mind that it is not an artifact to be displayed. It is a functional tool of destruction. All tools get worn with usage, that's reality. If you don't like it take the gun out of reality and into a safe forever, where it will rust eventually. :)

Once you have your first scratch the rest are much easier to get over. It's somewhat of a virginity really.

NMGonzo
February 1, 2010, 06:20 PM
That is why my next guns are going to be either cheapo parkerized or stainless steel.

SSN Vet
February 1, 2010, 08:59 PM
You know how guys with full size trucks get asked to do favors hauling for all their friends?

That's fine, but when the friend has a brand new Silverado, but he doesn't want to scratch the bed :mad:

That prima donna truck ain't getting no respect from me.

I also have a new stainless Colt. And as carefull as I've been, I still managed to put a very fine scratch in it with the slide stop.

Wet sand the flats lightly with 400 grit emery paper if it really bothers you.

Put a piece of tape above and below the slide stop when re-assembling and you'll be find.

Perhaps the only idiot is the guy who buys a truck or a gun as some kind of show off idol to his own ego.

Next thing you know the prima donna will be calling the safty scratch on an AK receiver an "idiot scratch"

Chucky64
February 1, 2010, 11:56 PM
I am sitting here at my computer
trying to remember what scratches my 1911 has and in reality I just dont
care. Its function and reliability it what is important not its appearance.
I know that since I use it for IDPA it will get some holster wear around
the front of the slide, but what I think about is wear on parts and
springs. I want the gun to function perfectly each trip to the range and
at each match in which i compete. How it looks is secondary to how
it functions each time I pull the trigger.

dec41971
February 2, 2010, 12:20 AM
My $1600 Kimber has lots of scratches. Shot it quite a bit too, so oh well; Unless its a collector's item, its not a big deal. :cool:

BullfrogKen
February 2, 2010, 01:58 AM
I know it seems like a big deal when it's a new pistol. But it's not going to stay new unless you decide never to use it.

You will get over it.

For reference, these pictures show the wear on my favored Commander. Between the cost of the gun and all the custom work I paid to have done on it, it's worth over $2,500. And these pictures were taken about 4 years ago.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47835&d=1163467201

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47832&d=1163466927

If you intend to enjoy it, it's going to get wear and tear. I believe the adage, "You can't have your cake and eat it, too" applies.

If your friend wants to make it up to you, suggest he buy you a few boxes of ammunition so you can break in it right.

BullfrogKen
February 2, 2010, 02:02 AM
Re: Post 42.

It looks like Zach has been practicing and putting his rifle to use. Well done, sir!

ricebasher302
February 2, 2010, 10:36 AM
So how many of you people here would buy a pistol brand new with a scratch in the slide? No big deal? No. You expect it to look "like new" when you buy it. Why? Isn't it just a tool? Why the h#ll do half the posters here have their panties in a bunch over a 21 year old being irritated by getting a scratch in his brand new gun? Geez! Get off him!

mcdonl
February 2, 2010, 10:51 AM
Paying that much for a gun and being upset when it gets scratched is liking paying $40,000 for a pick-up truck and complaining when someones golf clubs scratch it.

Zach S
February 2, 2010, 11:26 AM
So how many of you people here would buy a pistol brand new with a scratch in the slide?
I normally scratch mine before I leave the store. The first is always the worst, so I go ahead and get it out of the way.

ironvic
February 2, 2010, 09:17 PM
If my idiot friend has guns, I think I'd ask to check out his new 1911...if ya know what I mean...

ironvic
February 2, 2010, 09:20 PM
Regarding idiot marks. I only have one gun with an idiot mark, my Winchester 9422 XTR circa 1979 or so. Right on the top of the receiver done when mounting scope rings. It's just a very slender scratch but it looks like a gash to me.

I am a long time shooter and keep all my guns in pristine condition. My motto is, "Shoot it a lot, but leave it clean for the next guy," 'cause sooner or later your wife's gonna bury your bones and first thing she's gonna do is go down to the gunshop to sell those guns for money to buy girl things. There's no need to bash up your guns in everyday use. They might be tools, but they ain't hammers.

ironvic
February 2, 2010, 09:24 PM
Bullfrogken-that looks like good old honest wear to me. Not an idiot scratch to be seen. Nice piece BTW.

Hatterasguy
February 2, 2010, 10:05 PM
Its like buying a new car, the first nick always hurts. But it gets easyer with time, than in a few years you just stop caring.

f4t9r
February 2, 2010, 10:18 PM
That first mark or ding is always the hardest to take. If its a shooter no big deal. If its a safe queen then get it fixed.
Your buddy should help out if getting fixed. He should have not touched it if he didnt know how to put it back.

five.five-six
February 2, 2010, 10:32 PM

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-...T_PISTOLS.aspx

OK, that made me LOL

OP, as many have said, you can rub it out with some MILD abrasive, or use a heavy abrasive and do the whole frame.... I am not sure I want to be holding the shiniest object in the room if someone is shooting back at me.... that's just me though

orionengnr
February 2, 2010, 11:12 PM
Yep, that is why I have bought very few new guns, cars or motorcycles over the years.

At least half of my 1911s have idiot marks, none (yet) have been installed by me. The advantage of buying used is that it is already, well...used. If it has an imperfection, then I can carry it without being paranoid.

But yes, if someone else who claimed to be knowledgeable put the first scratch in my brandy-new 1911 or motorcycle, I would be...how do I put it tactfully? Singularly unimpressed with said individual, and unlikely to associate with him in the future.

sigsteve
February 2, 2010, 11:42 PM
I've done this to my DW RZ-10 that I bought used and it didn't have a idiot mark when I got it, but sure enough I gave it it's first one. Fortunately for my RZ-10 had polished flats that made it easy for me to use some 600 grit and then 800 and finally 1500 to smooth it out. I also have used some ultra fine and super fine scotch brite for polishing and it works great for spot polishing. Of course I'd finish it off with the Flitz and it looks like a show piece! One little trick I've found for me that helps to eliminate, or at least minimize the chance of a idiot mark is to put a drop of gun lube (in my case it's Prolix XTra-T lube as it's nice and heavy and wont run) on the tip of the slide stop. It helps to slide it into place without any scratching if you make a mistake.

ThePunisher'sArmory
February 2, 2010, 11:43 PM
Deal with it guns get scratched. If its worth that much to you, like someone said before, put it in a show case and dont touch it.

sigsteve
February 2, 2010, 11:53 PM
[/URL]I can't believe the people saying this is no big deal. I try to handle my guns with care, and to teach people how to disassemble 1911's without putting idiot marks on them.

There is a great thread on this in the 1911 forum. A man whom I consider to be a personal friend even though I've never met him, "Log man", is so knowledgeable about 1911's that I read everything he writes about them, and I've learned alot from him and others in that forum.

[url]http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653 (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214825)

Once you modify your slide stop like this you will be amazed at how easy it is to install it without making a mark. It takes a few seconds (Literally!) with a fine tapered swiss file.
Thanks for the great link to the "Log Man" method. I frequent the 1911forum more than here and I'd seen that before too. I'll also post this link that was in the prior link that BigJon posted with much more detail on how to avoid the idiot mark.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214825

sigsteve
February 3, 2010, 12:03 AM
You know, I can appreciate your attitude about this as it is looked at by many as a tool. But, I also appreciate even more how someone can be upset about this mishap as many of us spend thousands of dollars on a fine 1911 and want to keep it in as new of condition as possible. I'm one of those people and belittling them is not constructive.

A gun, especially a very fine 1911, is meant to be shot and appreciated as a work of art. Why wouldn't you want to take care of it and keep it in as new of condition as possible? Now having said that I am aware that one of the sexiest things in good gun porn is a beautifully holster worn blued 1911 is not a bad thing and even gives a nice carry gun more character. But the idiot mark is another thing entirely. It says, "somebody that didn't know what they were doing field striped this thing!"

So, lets get this straight... Idiot marks suck and if you don't thinks so then that's your business if you like having your gun look like you don't care or don't know what your doing.

memphisjim
February 3, 2010, 12:08 AM
um yeah right your friend did it

Zach S
February 3, 2010, 10:26 AM
I am a long time shooter and keep all my guns in pristine condition. My motto is, "Shoot it a lot, but leave it clean for the next guy," 'cause sooner or later your wife's gonna bury your bones and first thing she's gonna do is go down to the gunshop to sell those guns for money to buy girl things. There's no need to bash up your guns in everyday use. They might be tools, but they ain't hammers.
It would be nice to have this or that handed down to my daughter, but for the most part, I could care less about what happens to my guns after I get planted. Besides, with the insurance policy I had, my wife would have probably gave them away for next to nothing.

I really dont care about the next guy. I'm listed as a donor, but I'm not gonna do everything I can to make sure my ticker will last long after I'm done with it.

I know they're not hammers. The idiot mark isn't a sign of abuse, nor is it a sign of negligence IMO. Its a sign of "**** happens," much like the scratches on a lock of a car door. Its avoidable, but only if you're really careful.

I've changed many u-joints on many cars- and I dont use a socket and ratchet to hammer them out. But when I buy hand tools, they're put to use immediately and look like any other tool in the box. Except for 17mm sockets and wrenches that came with sets. I haven't found anything they fit...

SSN Vet
February 3, 2010, 10:34 AM
a work of art

The beauty (to me) is when form provides function.

You can spend big bucks to put your 1911s on the wall next to the Mona Lisa if you want to.

I buy mine to enjoy shooting ... a lot ... as much as I can afford to shoot.

Any tool that gets used a lot is expected to show ware.

Like an axe handle that is worn to the shape of the loggers hands, holster ware and such on a handgun only endears them to me more.

SSN Vet
February 3, 2010, 11:14 AM
Some slide stops are beveled vary nicely and have lighter spring force on the plunger and fit a little looser in the hole... these go in easy.

Some are tighter and stiffer and the bevel doesn't seem to push the depress the plunger the way it should.

If someone has a very difficult to insert slide stop and puts a hair line scratch on their frame, that does NOT make them an idiot.

Some guys have pristine frames because they know how to carefully install the slide stop and how to take extra precautions. They may even modify their parts to make assembly easier.

Some guys have pristine frames because they never take their guns out of the safe, except to take pictures of them for posting on the internet.

Which type is more likely to run around calling others an idiot?

Rather than building themselves up with knowledge and ability, some chose to make themselves feel proud by tearing others down with ridicule and name calling.

That's why I personally don't use the term.

kymarkh
February 3, 2010, 11:38 AM
I'd hate to see what revolver cylinder drag lines do to you guys... :neener:

Ben86
February 3, 2010, 03:19 PM
I'd hate to see what revolver cylinder drag lines do to you guys...

Those really freaked me out when I got my first revolver! LOL

five.five-six
February 4, 2010, 12:57 AM
we all thought it... someone had to say it

rogertc1
February 4, 2010, 06:05 AM
It depends if you are going to shoot and carry the gun or turn it into a safe queen.

HisSoldier
February 4, 2010, 01:33 PM
I'd hate to see what revolver cylinder drag lines do to you guys...

No, that's normal wear and I've never heard of anyone trying to prevent that.

We are talking here about stupidity in action being exacted on someone else's gun. I would have offered to buy the gun from you for what you paid for it had I done that.
This is not too much different than missing the target and hitting your friends truck. "Oh well, it's a truck for goodness sake, it's supposed to have bullet holes in it!"

Idiots.

I have 7 1911's, only one has an idiot mark on it, by the guy I bought it used from. I saw it when i bought it, so it doesn't bother me.

What really shocks me is how many here think there's nothing wrong with putting an idiot mark on a new 1911. Sheesh, I guess I'll be real careful about who I hand my guns to if so many people think it's alright to scratch them up for no good reason. What's so hard about learning how to do it right?

thebigc
February 4, 2010, 01:37 PM
if its just a little tiny scrach dont worry about it my 1911 is covered in idiot dings scraches marks gouges and all kinds of other marks and wear that just happens with time i think it gives it character also mine is a knock around essex parts gun so that has a lot to do with my attitude about it

Lakeshore
February 4, 2010, 01:39 PM
I think most of us, and that definitely includes me, put way way too much stock in the cosmetic appearance of guns.

For example: I recently acquired an unissued condition milsurp Mak. It has a few light dings to be expected in a 27 year old pistol, otherwise near perfect. While handling it I made a klutz move and may - may - have added a very small hairline scratch to the slide. Problem was I couldn't remember the precise location of the few little scratches that were already there. Drove me absolutely bonkers for days, wondering whether I scratched it through carelessness. Sounds crazy I know but other guys who are fanatical about gun appearance can maybe relate.

SwampWolf
February 4, 2010, 07:05 PM

we all thought it... someone had to say it

And now, some of you are apparently calling the op a liar...:(

SharpsDressedMan
February 6, 2010, 12:20 PM
It just makes sense. "Idiot friend leaves idiot mark." By definition.

If you enjoyed reading about "Idiot friend left idiot scratch on brand new Colt 1991..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!