First CCW gun

PDA

Dr.Mall Ninja
February 1, 2010, 01:18 AM
We'll my 23rd birthday isn't to far away. I need to start thinking about my CCW classes and what gun I'm going to carry right now all I got as far as handguns go is a 1911 thats fine for winter but when it starts to heat up im going to need something a little smaller. I got three different guns in mind, I realize that they are all totally different guns it seems like i have no consistency.
1. Glock 29 (its 10mm)
2. XD subcompact 45acp ( i like the grip safeties)
3. Sig 250 compact in 45 ( its a sig, I always hear good things about sigs)

I'm really looking for people with experience carrying because I never have done so.
any other suggestions would be great thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "First CCW gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
February 1, 2010, 01:21 AM
I carry a full-size 1911 year-round, including 100+ degree summers.

Dr.Mall Ninja
February 1, 2010, 01:24 AM
what kind of holsters do you use? and how do you carry?

MikePGS
February 1, 2010, 01:35 AM
I don't believe Springfield makes a XD Subcompact in .45, only a compact. If you use a 1911 and are familiar with the manual or arms, why not look into something like a Kimber Ultra Carry, or a Springfield EMP?

Dr.Mall Ninja
February 1, 2010, 01:40 AM
sorry I forgot to mention that I'm looking to spend 600 or less also I hear that 1911's lose reliability when they are in commander size( I understand that it could just be internet rumors) by the way I checked and you are right about the XD's

Evil One
February 1, 2010, 01:56 AM
I carry a full size 1911 year round. My favorite holster currently is a Lobo Gunleather IWB carried at 3:30-4:00.

Jim

JEB
February 1, 2010, 01:57 AM
with a good holster you should be able to carry the 1911 year round. of your choices i would go for the G29 but i suggest you shoot it before you buy it, as you might find the 10mm to be a bit much in too small a package. i have also heard good things about the sigs but not so much the 250 inparticular. if your not set on an autoloader you may look at a good snubby revolver. they are light, dead reliable, and very easy to conceal.

just some food for thought!

NMGonzo
February 1, 2010, 02:42 AM
sorry I forgot to mention that I'm looking to spend 600 or less also I hear that 1911's lose reliability when they are in commander size( I understand that it could just be internet rumors) by the way I checked and you are right about the XD's

nope

the rumor is on the officers size

oasis618
February 1, 2010, 02:54 AM
I carry a Commander sized 1911 in an IWB holster year round and it conceals just fine whether wearing a t-shirt and shorts or heavy clothing and I'm 6'3 185lbs so I'm not exactly "bulky". You'll find that the thickness (or lack thereof) is the most important factor when concealing a pistol. I'm not trying to push the 1911 on you but it's thin profile lends itself to being easy to conceal despite it's large perceived size. Go to your local gun stores and gun shows and handle as many as you can to find what is comfortable for you since that is ultimately much more important than my or anyone else's opionion...not that there aren't many great opinions here on thehighroad. :D

Bovice
February 1, 2010, 05:10 AM
10mm is probably not a good option if you're just getting into carry and general gun collecting. You're going to want to shoot it fairly often so you'll be good with it (and you should be good with what you carry). 10mm is rather expensive, and I've never seen it on a shelf anywhere. It can be bought online, but that's just a hassle when you could have another more common caliber (9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP) that you could buy at Wal-Mart. For defensive ammo, Wal-Marts that I've been to have had NOTHING but that can be ordered online a few boxes at a time because it won't be what you're primarily shooting. But for practice, it's nice to be able to get what you need easily.

From your choices, it appears that you want a larger caliber carry pistol. .45 is a fine choice. Have you ever fired a gun chambered in .40? It has decent power and would do very well if you had to "really" use it. At my local Wal-Mart, Federal (maroon/red box) 180 grain .40 is about 30 cents per round after taxes. It always seems to be in stock too. Would be slightly cheaper than .45, and much cheaper than 10mm.

As far as choices go for CCW, The G27 (I believe that's the .40 subcompact, if I'm wrong on the model, that's what I'm intending to discuss) would be a fine gun to carry. The P250 is also a good choice too. I've handled them before, and they're even offering them in a 2 frame/slide package. All the "modularity" doesn't mean much unless they make it reasonably easy to swap the trigger group into another frame-Sig picked up on that and started offering the 2 frame and slide package deal, siglite nightsights standard. It initially was sold just as any other gun was, and I couldn't see the point of being "modular" if it cost 400 for a size conversion. I can't remember the price off the top of my head, but it seemed reasonable considering what you get. I think it may have been going for as low as 8-900 at the gun show I saw them at. It's like two guns for the price of one (at Sig Sauer pricing), IIRC the P250 was 600-700 new for a single setup. I've heard they're accurate, just like all other offerings by Sig Sauer. Can you tell I've had some experience with Sig? I've rambled on for a paragraph about it, but by no means does that make it the end-all-be-all of choices. I've had good experiences with them and will gladly nudge you in that direction, but it's your gun purchase and not mine. I've shot plenty of other makes and they all did JUST fine.

Springfield's XD subcompact is another excellent choice. I've handled them as well. Smith and Wesson's M&Pc would also be worth looking at. While I have not shot the compact version, I've shot the full-size with good success. I was every bit as accurate with it as my Sig (which is pretty darn accurate) and the feel of it was excellent. I'd expect no less from its little brother. It can be had in 9mm, .40, or .45. For the size, I think I'd go 9mm with that one.

My advice assumes you already have the 1911 and are keeping it. The nice part about owning more than one caliber is if you go to the store one day and the guy at the counter says "Sorry, we're all out of .45", you can at least ask for .40 and just as easily find it. If not one, then the other.

All these listed choices would carry well in just about any manner you could want to carry. With that said, this is the end of my dissertation. Good luck.

AJChenMPH
February 1, 2010, 12:03 PM
+1 on staying with your 1911 (and I don't even have one) for the reasons already mentioned. If your's is reliable and you're comfortable with it, no real reason to get anything else.

Just make sure to get a good IWB holster and wear a dedicated bonafide gun belt -- it'll help keep the gun pulled in tight against you, which will aid in concealment (not to mention retention).

SigP229R
February 1, 2010, 02:06 PM
I carry a Sig 229R in 40 cal. in a tucker HF2 and a Sig P6 either mexican style or a Bianchi which is made for a 229 but will work for the P6 but retainer strap does't snap I am 5'9" and weigh in at about 220

OldCavSoldier
February 1, 2010, 02:44 PM
Attached is a digi-pic of my primary CCW tools. From top: S&W M37 no dash, S&W M60-14, S&W M642-2.

Long ago my CCW tool was a Combat Commander .45ACP. Still occasionally do carry it, but, just love the little S&W J-frame tools.

ultradoc
February 1, 2010, 02:46 PM
I carry an XD-9 s.c. No problems but I am sometimes consious of the 'bulk'. I have an IWB Kholster,a Blackhawk serpa holster and a leather high ride something. I feel comfortable with all of them. A buddy carries a 1911 all of the time with no problems.

NMGonzo
February 1, 2010, 07:14 PM
anyhow .... first get yourself an sp101 and if you are afraid to shoot someone with it at least you can pummel your attacker with it.

Joshua M.
February 1, 2010, 08:16 PM
My first CCW was a Taurus PT-140...kinda wished I would have kept that:banghead:...Stainless I think it was like under $400...I now carry a Keltec P3AT with the pocket slipper/laser everywhere, except when I am going somewhere nice, wher I can put plenty of cover on..then Kimber Ultra CDPII:neener:

DeepSouth
February 1, 2010, 08:25 PM
With a name like Dr.Mall Ninja I can't believe your even considering something other than a Glock.:D

Of your 3 listed I would get the Sig. I carry a KAHR PM45 but honestly I wouldn't recommend it for some fairly new to pistols, as they have a lot of "rules." If you already have a 1911 I would just buy another one, probably a commander size, and go from there.

jad0110
February 1, 2010, 10:50 PM
Good gear is everything.

Trust me on this.

Most folks spend a crap load on the gun, then scrimp on a $20 holster and a flimsy $12 belt from K-Mart. Big mistake (usually). Spend some dough on a good quality gun belt and holster, it makes all the difference.

With quality gear, weight becomes less of an issue, assuming you are in good health. In fact, dare I say it, but with a solid belt and holster your thin single stack 1911 might well be easier for you to carry than the fat double stack autos you listed.

Here's what I mean by good gear. I wear a 1.5" bullhide belt from thebeltman.com. Paid about $70 for it.

Pictured below is a leather IWB holster for a 5" M1911A1, specifically a Gary Brommeland Max Con V. Paid about $110 for it, and it is worth every penny. Carrying and concealing my all steel 1911 is ridiculously comfortable and easy.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Gear/GBMaxConV_right.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Gear/GBMaxConV_left.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Gear/GBMaxConV_1911.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Gear/19113.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Gear/19114.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Gear/19111.jpg

And as a further example, below is a picture of me concealing a 4" Ruger Police Service Six .357 Magnum wearing a T-Shirt with a FIST #20 leather IWB holster, which I paid around $70 for.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Gear/RugerSix.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Gear/RugerSix2.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Ruger%20Service%20Six%20357%20Magnum/DSC00542.jpg

Funny, in the case of the Ruger, I've got $140 in the gear I carry it with (belt and holster) and $275 in the gun.

And in IWB holsters, I prefer leather with the belt loops spread as far apart as possible. Some like holsters with the loops directly on top of the gun itself, but I find these types add more girth. But YMMV.

HGUNHNTR
February 2, 2010, 12:43 AM
I'm 6'0" and 170 pounds. I found the G29 to be uncomfortable IWB. The 1911 seems like a more prudent choice given your parameters.

Aka Zero
February 2, 2010, 05:43 PM
Dr. notice you say your 23rd is not to far away. I believe MO changed the ccw to 21. ( Days after I turned 23)

Might check with someone but me and my wife plan to take it together, and she is not 23.

Bovice
February 2, 2010, 08:19 PM
23? What in the hell is with that?

Watch out people. Pretty soon we'll have to be eligible for AARP membership, at least 69 years of age, and have limited mobility to get a carry permit. Bunch of nonsense. A man can be drafted and sent overseas at 18 and be issued a pistol, a rifle, and grenades, but back "home" he can't buy a beer or carry a gun. Suddenly we don't trust them on our own soil?

Dr.Mall Ninja
February 2, 2010, 08:28 PM
Dr. notice you say your 23rd is not to far away. I believe MO changed the ccw to 21. ( Days after I turned 23)

The Google hunt is on!

DAVIDSDIVAD
February 2, 2010, 10:34 PM
I carry a full-size 1911 year-round, including 100+ degree summers.

Same here, but I usually wear cargo shorts and a t-shirt.

My holster is a COMIII by www.hbeleatherworks.com (your best bet is calling him, as his email is.. meh)

S&Wfan
February 2, 2010, 11:19 PM
For concealment, and I mean REAL concealment that you feel comfortable about in all conditions, I personally avoid all the "double wide" bottom feeders with the wide slides. That includes the Mall Ninja's favorite piece of Tupperware, the Blocks.:D

The 1911 width bottom feeders, especially in the aluminum framed versions are wonderful CCW guns. The rumor about the small 1911 guns is partially true, but good ones can be quite reliable if they aren't in the hands of limp-wristed neophytes. (Limp-wristing isn't a derogatory term about one's sexual orientation. If you don't know what it means yet, I'd avoid any brass chucker for your first "bet my life on it" CCW gun!

If you check out what seasoned, experienced CCW holders usually carry, you'll find the little S&W J-frame .38 Special "Airweight" snubbies at the top of the list . . . and for great reasons. Nothing in a serious caliber conceals as well . . . an in all conditions one might find himself in . . . INCLUDING mowing the lawn with a push mower in gym shorts (with front pockets) in the summer.

I've got all sorts of big guns . . . wheel guns AND bottom feeders. Most stay in the safe except for a couple of big boomers nearby. BUT . . . that tiny J-frame is my "always" gun.

A big bore flamethrower might SEEM like an ideal CCW gun . . . and it IS. THE PROBLEM IS . . . not all situations lend to carrying a big gun ALWAYS . . . and a J-frame in the pocket beats a Block in the safe every time!

PS: IN ADDITION to the "always" J-frame snubbie, my CCW guns on the belt can include compact custom 1911s, a double stack Para 1911, or J, K or the big N framed S&W revolvers in .357 Magnum and .45ACP.

Ummm . . . all that is on me right now . . . is the little J-frame as I type. I can easily put all five rounds into a 1" black square at ten yards with it, and group 2 1/2" at 25 yards, standing/unsupported. Needless to say . . . I'm seasoned, well-prepared . . . and not afraid of my choice against the average thug with a Block.

Good luck on finding your favorite tool for the starting Ninja. I'D RECOMMEND . . . finding a shooting range that will rent you a wide assortment of guns so you can see what fits your hand and your real needs best . . . and buy the gun that you shoot best that will also fit your concealment needs.

Keep an open mind though about the J-frame S&W revolvers . . . the huge choice of generations of those who go into harm's way daily, and for good, practical reasons!

TexasBill
February 2, 2010, 11:57 PM
You've got a good gun now, get a good holster to go with it. For those occasions when the big gun is too much, there's nothing like a J-frame.

ArchAngelCD
February 3, 2010, 02:20 AM
I agree, the slim profile of a 1911 is probably more comfortable to carry in the summer than any double wide pistol. Find a holster that works for you and you will be set.

Personally I prefer to carry a J frame in my pocket all year round.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/twins-1.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/DSCN2083.jpg

Dr.Mall Ninja
February 5, 2010, 04:14 PM
You guys were right about the 1911 I have been mexican carrying around the house, its not that bad.

WVMountainBoy
February 5, 2010, 05:07 PM
I carry a 1911 year round, as long as your shirt is long enough theres no issue. I use a Bianchi suede IWB holster.

veyec
February 5, 2010, 05:59 PM
Same here, but I usually wear cargo shorts and a t-shirt.

My holster is a COMIII by www.hbeleatherworks.com (your best bet is calling him, as his email is.. meh)
David, how smooth is the back of your holster? I am meeting with Eric tomorrow at his shop to go over some options. Still trying to decide between the Com3 or the DC tucker for my Witness. How long have you had yours? Do you ever wish that you had a tucker?

DAVIDSDIVAD
February 6, 2010, 01:58 AM
I'm not sure I understand, but the leather is completely smooth.
I've had mine almost 2 years now, I think.

Well, I've never owned a tucker, so I don't know how comfortable they are. Also, the only time I wear business clothes is when I'm at school, and I can't carry there, thus, the "tucker" option isn't worth the cost for me yet.

I think if you actually tuck your shirts most of the time, then yeah, go for the tucker, as it is impossible to tuck in a shirt while wearing a COMIII.

veyec
February 6, 2010, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure I understand, but the leather is completely smooth.

I wasn't really asking about the texture of the leather, but more of how smooth the backside of the holster was in regards to bumps and protrusions caused by the gun.

I was just wondering how comfy it was.

I am meeting up with Eric this afternoon. I have a special request for him. I have 2 Witness pistols. 1 compact and 1 full size. I want him to make a holster that will accommodate either one.

He indicated that it would not be a problem.:)

DAVIDSDIVAD
February 6, 2010, 04:51 PM
Oh, it's darn comfortable.
It's probably too much info, but I have gone commando while wearing jeans over the COMIII before, hahah.

Another thing is that he has a talent for finishing leather. I got the Black Cherry option, and I'm glad I did.

If I have to give a realistic list of cons for Eric, it would be as follows:

1.) The sweat-guard (for the hammer/beavertail on a 1911) isn't very well thought out. It's positioned too high, and barely covers the beavertail.

2.) Not so much a practicality thing, but he doesn't recess his stitching. Every other custom holster maker does this, and I definitely noticed that he didn't.

3.) He puts a huge logo stamp on the holster, but this is both a pro and a con. At some positions (3 oclock) the extra leather required to accomodate the stamp really stabilizes the holster on my leg. At 1 oclock, the extra leather pokes my leg.

If you enjoyed reading about "First CCW gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!