Sig P6 shopuld I dump it?

PDA

KevinR
February 1, 2010, 07:26 PM
Well I did it again I baught something without researching it. Sig P6 $325 It is in wonderful condition and shoots like a new gun. However after reading several posts in here I have become aware that parts are an issue. It is a 4/79 I assume that this is manufacture date :uhoh:

Are parts really that big of an issue??

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P6 shopuld I dump it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oro
February 1, 2010, 07:27 PM
If it shoots well, what's the issue? If you want to dump it, I'd pay that for it. That's not a bad price for a good piece of steel.

KevinR
February 1, 2010, 07:29 PM
Well some of these posts mention becoming a paperweight if any parts get broken, I dont need any paper weights!

highorder
February 1, 2010, 07:41 PM
Well some of these posts mention becoming a paperweight if any parts get broken, I dont need any paper weights!

Bah, try keeping an M1 Garand rifle up and running!

The P6 does have some scarce parts, but they are available. Buy a parts kit now and stash it away. The Sig will run for decades.

wojownik
February 1, 2010, 07:44 PM
Well, parts are interchangeable with the p225 for starters (the same gun), so there is a decent inventory of spare parts out there.

silversport
February 1, 2010, 11:17 PM
wojo is correct...don't dump it...shoot it...it is Classic SiG and should work until the end of time...
Bill

Oro
February 2, 2010, 04:23 AM
Well, parts are interchangeable with the p225 for starters

Exactly. The "parts scare" theme sounds like someone doesn't know the gun. If a part breaks and you need it, you might have to pay retail at Sig. Is that the scenario that scares them?

rellascout
February 2, 2010, 08:23 AM
Exactly. The "parts scare" theme sounds like someone doesn't know the gun. If a part breaks and you need it, you might have to pay retail at Sig. Is that the scenario that scares them?

This is not true. I would not sell the pistol but the fact is that parts including parts kits are no longer being made by Sig. I personally confirmed almost 2 years ago. Some new P225s came in recently but they were parts guns which were built using old stock parts.

Mags are now $45+ if you can find them or you can buy pro mags. :barf:

Things like frames, barrels slides are only available in the used or aftermarket realm.

Again I would not sell the gun but it is not a matter of paying Sig full retail. It is a matter of being able to get parts at all.

19-3Ben
February 2, 2010, 08:40 AM
The "parts scare" theme sounds like someone doesn't know the gun.

Bingo. This is kinda like the guy who posted last week in the rifle forum all in a panic because some guy at the shooting range told him that 7.62x39 is no longer being produced and all the poster's AKs will become wall hangers.
Be realistic.

It's a Sig. Sigs just kinda run...like forever. And when you need parts, you'll be able to get them.

rellascout
February 2, 2010, 08:47 AM
Bingo. This is kinda like the guy who posted last week in the rifle forum all in a panic because some guy at the shooting range told him that 7.62x39 is no longer being produced and all the poster's AKs will become wall hangers.
Be realistic.

It's a Sig. Sigs just kinda run...like forever. And when you need parts, you'll be able to get them.

Again simply not true. The person who originally stated parts and parts kits will be hard to find down the road is spot on. Try to find a P225 factory mag for under $45. Please seriously. This is the best you are going to find. http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p225-magazines/ That is $52.95 shipped for one mag for a $325 gun.

If you shoot your Sig as often as I do you will need a parts kit. If it sits on a shelf in your safe most of the time then yes they will run forever without a parts change.

The concern is nowhere even close your AK example. One is based in fact and a full understanding of the stress and wear placed on the moving parts of the Sig P225 the other is simply ignorant.

Do the research and you will change your tune. Again I am not saying to dump this pistol. I would keep it. They are great guns.

smince
February 2, 2010, 09:04 AM
Well, I just looked at topgunsupply and it appears that many parts are interchangeable with other guns.

The decock lever is the same as a 220, the firing pin is a 226, etc.

It appears to me the magazines are the only real problem. $52 is a bit high, but the two that came with the gun plus one or two spares will get you by at a minimum. Quality 1911 magazines are around $30.

The P6/P225 and the P239 are some of Sig's best guns, IMO.

shootr
February 2, 2010, 09:26 AM
+1. You can download the owners manual and see the parts interchangeability.

I've watched for extra mags and picked up 1/2 dozen or so for mine. Want to say I've paid around $30 - $35 each for new, factory. Watch CDNN and places like that. Springs and such are readily available. I can't imagine what might break that I can't find or fix.

By comparison, I have older firearms made by long-defunct companies. I've always been able to get what I needed.

With a major manufacturer like Sig, I just don't see parts becoming a problem in my lifetime. JMHO.

KevinR
February 2, 2010, 09:15 PM
You all are a plethora of knowledge, This place is great

Thanks a bunch
Kevin

NMGonzo
February 2, 2010, 11:24 PM
I give you 326 for it.

Shaddap and shoot that thing already.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P6 shopuld I dump it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!