Ruger SR9 Magazine Disconnect Questions.


PDA






stchman
February 1, 2010, 09:29 PM
Hello all.

I have removed teh magazine disconnect from my SR9. I used this video off YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvS-LhKLw2Q

Very good video.
I have a couple of questions.

1. Can you dry fire the SR9 without a magazine inserted safely? Ruger says in the manual to never dry fire without a mag inserted. My instincts tell me yes.

2. After dry firing I can hear the firing pin move back and forth. Is this is normal please tell. My instincts also tell me yes.

It took like 2 minutes to remove the mag disconnect from the pistol. Very easy job as long as you have a punch set.

If I ever have to return the pistol to Ruger for service I can simply re-insert the mag disconnect before sending off.

So I don't want to ever hear someone belly-aching about the SR9 having a mag disconnect as the sole reason they will not purchase the pistol.

Ruger I believe is marketing the pistol to law enforcement agencies and some agencies want to have a mag disconnect.

To 99% of the folks that buy the SR9 it means zero to them. The other 1% will acquire the knowledge to remove it.

I think mag disconnects are dumb as well, but I don't get violently upset like others.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SR9 Magazine Disconnect Questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stchman
February 2, 2010, 08:33 AM
Well, I guess I should have posted a thread "ARs suck". That would at least have gotten some feedback.

highorder
February 2, 2010, 12:37 PM
1. Can you dry fire the SR9 without a magazine inserted safely? Ruger says in the manual to never dry fire without a mag inserted. My instincts tell me yes.

YES

2. After dry firing I can hear the firing pin move back and forth. Is this is normal please tell. My instincts also tell me yes.

YES

It took like 2 minutes to remove the mag disconnect from the pistol. Very easy job as long as you have a punch set.

YEP, easy.

If I ever have to return the pistol to Ruger for service I can simply re-insert the mag disconnect before sending off.

DON'T BOTHER. They designed it to be easily removable. You won't hurt any feelings.

How is your trigger? Have you polished anything yet?

nalioth
February 2, 2010, 12:41 PM
Please keep in mind that lawyers drive the content of the owners manual these days..

Someone has a scanned copy of a 1971 Ruger 1022 manual and a 2009 version posted somewhere (I can't remember where). The gun hasn't changed one iota (as far as using it), but the manual has picked up over a dozen pages (of legalese).

stchman
February 2, 2010, 10:20 PM
To: highorder

I actually like the SR9 trigger. It is very nice feeling IMO. I shot my buddys' Walther P99 and Sig P226 and frankly their triggers felt a touch smoother, but nothing to write home about. I actually like a little heavier trigger, hare triggers are not my thing. Everyone is different.

For the price the SR9 is nearly unbeatable.

If the SR9s' quality has anything to say I will probably never have to return the pistol.

mm6mm6
February 5, 2010, 10:34 PM
stchman: I'm a fan of the SR9 as well - http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/articlearchive/details.aspx?ID=207378

Elvishead
February 10, 2010, 03:21 AM
I think the M.D. is a good idea for LEO, but yes, it isn't really needed, but I still think it's a cool feature, and if or when, I get one (SR9), I'll just leave it in.

It reminds me of the S&W lock, I'll just leave it in.

highorder
February 10, 2010, 09:33 PM
Elvis,

DO note that the mag disconnect negatively affects trigger pull when installed.

Elvishead
February 24, 2010, 01:28 AM
highorder Elvis,

DO note that the mag disconnect negatively affects trigger pull when installed.

No, I didn't know that, gives me something to think about.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SR9 Magazine Disconnect Questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!