P6 Barrel Question

PDA

KevinR
February 1, 2010, 10:07 PM
Can someone please tell me how can I tell If my P6 Barrel is a factory brl and/or if it has the feed ramp mod for JHP's. The gun is a 4/79 and the brl in amazingly clean and bright.

If you enjoyed reading about "P6 Barrel Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blkbrd666
February 1, 2010, 10:11 PM
There's a feed ramp mod for JHP???

KevinR
February 1, 2010, 10:14 PM
Yes From what I am reading on other forums there is some kind of feed ramp mod.

AK103K
February 1, 2010, 10:16 PM
There was a pic floating around showing one vs the other, but I dont remember where it was at the moment.

For what its worth, I have one that dated 81, and it feeds hollow points without issue. There are some very minor differences in the ramp and chamber area, between it and the late 90's dated P6 I have, so I dont know if it was modified or not.

tincanhunter
February 2, 2010, 01:36 AM
pic/article - http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=37346.0

Your P6 does not have the modified feed ramp.

smince
February 2, 2010, 08:04 PM
Practice with FMJ, carry DPX for your EDC load and you shouldn't need the fix.

KevinR
February 2, 2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks fellas, much appreciated. I was just hoping someone that had the gun before might have had the mod done or purchased another brl.

AK103K
February 2, 2010, 10:27 PM
I'd take it out and shoot it with different types of ammo before I bought a new barrel or had any work done. Who knows, you may not need to do a thing.

wgsigs
February 3, 2010, 12:22 AM
I agree. Take it out and shoot it. I have an 11/79 P6 that is prior to the feed ramp mod and it has fed all of the JHPs I have fed it so far. My P6 has the original, matching serial number barrel.

rklessdriver
February 3, 2010, 10:41 AM
I agree a well. We have an 11/79 SIG P6 and it feeds Federal 115gr 9BP and Federal 124gr HST fine.
Will

malix
February 3, 2010, 11:02 AM
Practice with FMJ, carry DPX for your EDC load and you shouldn't need the fix.

Just curious, why would DPX be better than any other JHP rounds?

My P6 is dated 8/80 and its mostly ok with JHPs, but not enough for me to feel comfortable carrying it. Out of 100 Golden Sabers i had 2 FTFs, and while testing it with HSTs i stopped after 4 or 5.

smince
February 3, 2010, 05:48 PM
Just curious, why would DPX be better than any other JHP rounds?OOPS-I meant PowerBall :o since it feeds more reliably.

MemphisJim1
February 3, 2010, 06:33 PM
I strongly recommend going to SigForum and research the P6 threads there. Over the course of Summer '07 I managed to score two P6s (a 10/77 and a 9/80). Both had problems feeding wide-nosed hollow points. Turns out there is a 2-degree difference in feed ramp angle between the German police issued P6s and the P225s intended for the U.S. market. The P6s were specifically designed for the ball ammo German police use. CustomizedCreationz (often cited in Sig Forum) has a $45 "fix" for the problem. I did it with one of mine and it now accepts any hollow point I feed it. I sold the other P6 to my son and have strongly urged him to do the same. Another option is to buy a P225 replacement barrel from TopGunSupply (still in stock as of this morning) for about $145. Otherwise, I replaced the hammer springs (to get DA pull down to about 12 lbs.) and added night sights (Meprolight) to both. I use the P6 for occasional "carry" in place of my P228 (9mm) or P229 (.40S&W).

If you enjoyed reading about "P6 Barrel Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!