No right to self-defense in the UK. None AT ALL!

PDA

Boberama
February 2, 2010, 05:35 AM
The right to self defense in this country is at danger due as ever to the all encompassing charge of breach of the peace, which can now result in a £40 spot fine, for which police discretion is applied. However once again the usage of police quotas for the amount of these issued per month often produces the production of these fines to people who are defending them selves from attackers.
I was leaving a night club with my girlfriend last month and 2 men started shouting at me in the cloak room queue, i ignored it and carried on down the stairs, i paused at the entrance of the club to look for some friends i had been with that night and one of the two men walked up behind me and kicked me in the calf muscle, i turned round and he head butted me in the face. i reacted by punching him once which knocked him to the ground, at which point his friend ran in and swung a punch at me which i blocked and i punched him once as well, again knocking him to the ground. The first man got back to his feet and swung for me again which i avoided and at this point the police stepped in.
I thought i was perfectly within my rights to defend myself from both attackers, however the police issued myself and only one of my two attackers with spot fines for forty ponds, my one stated that i had committed a breach of the peace and had been in a stand up fight. The police refused to listen to anything i said, despite deliberately remaining calm with a low voice, i tried to explain that it was self defence but was told ”just shut it you could still end up spending the night in bell street (the local police station)”.
For me the breach of the peace law is a blatant violation of human rights, the most important is obviously that of defense of self and family. No wonder there are as many cases of people being attacked in crowded places in broad day light with on lookers offering no assistance, they are probably just afraid to break the law in a society where criminals have more rights than people who risk there own safety to save others

And that's just one story.
Read this: http://geoff82.wordpress.com/2006/11/27/the-right-to-self-defense/

A homeowner who discovered two robbers in his home held them with a toy gun while he telephoned the police. When the police arrived they arrested the two men, and also the homeowner, who was charged with putting someone in fear with a toy gun. An elderly woman who scared off a gang of youths by firing a cap pistol was charged with the same offense.

From another site:
I have no desire to travel to the land of George Orwell’s nightmares for any reason. Cameras are everywhere, in a land that disallows self-defense for simple survival. The Brits are obsessed with violence, knives and guns.

In the UK they’ve created a predator’s Utopia where every potential rape, robbery or homicide victim is absolutely unarmed and helpless. They have made total social outcasts of anyone who suggests self-reliance against criminal assault. The socially acceptable to react to attack is to lay down and die.

A recent sales gimmick here hoodie style sweatshirts are being sold with a small Swiss Army knife has become an adman’s dream. The sales effort garnered world-wide attention and exposure. The endless and shrill condemnation by the “sensible” crowd is selling the hoodie/knife combo off store shelves.

The Brits are suffering from some strange mass mental pathology. They must really believe their bans on weapons are somehow effective in controlling crime. Any real effort at statistical analysis would debunk those theories.

They must learn to punish violent behavior rather than weapons possession. Weapons are the only way people have to stop assault, rape, robbery and murder.

Training, concealed weapons permits and handguns will help the UK reduce violence and crime. The UK’s politicians have to learn their own law abiding citizens are a real resource to trust with the tools of self-defense.

The Brits will argue they allow self-defense but that ends when any weapon is used to ensure survival.

End of extract

But instead they installed literally MILLIONS of CCTV cameras.
London residents thought these ads were satire at first.
http://www.wired.com/news/images/full/big_brother_f.jpg

Article on the CCTV:http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2002/11/56152#

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/09/14/cctv460x276.jpg

This enrages me.

If you enjoyed reading about "No right to self-defense in the UK. None AT ALL!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rattletrap1970
February 2, 2010, 05:50 AM
That poster is so creepy it's not even funny. Not you Boberama... The actual poster in the article. lol

Boberama
February 2, 2010, 06:18 AM
Yeah, search it on Images.
http://www.adsavvy.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/creepcamz.jpg
http://wearcam.org/wsdForSteve/if_youre_violent.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/2644171457_6228ef03f4.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3347/3408796547_526138bb28.jpg
http://clarkeson.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/secure_beneath_watchful_eyes_london_metro_station.png?w=460&h=570
Looks like the Reich tried this one too.
http://byfiles.storage.msn.com/x1pN1mp8dKYgTGzLeXP_S13G_KCwTtd-l6whXWPePPwfS52WK08USf5O_4TOZoqbL79M0nlnZOx8Aafd5BJsfE0Wh72RAUkcd-8x5sV4tUTC0fp-oYEu2ToMA

Boberama
February 2, 2010, 06:22 AM
GOOD GOD!

I Just Found Out The British Government Is Streaming These Things Online! Anybody Can Watch People All Over Britain!

www.interneteyes.co.uk

Boberama
February 2, 2010, 06:25 AM
How do I register?

Click link to home page Viewer promotion »
Who can register?

Any one aged 18 living in the EU.
Do I stay anonymous?

Yes. Your personal details will not be disclosed at any time.
I don’t live in the UK, can I still watch?

Providing you are an EU resident you can register and use the system.
Are my details broadcasted?

No. We don’t resell your personal details onto anyone. Also you will stay anonymous throughout when interacting with Internet Eyes.
Does Internet Eyes reward me?

Internet Eyes rewards Viewers in two ways. First, at the end of each month, the highest scoring Viewers will be recognised for their contribution to crime prevention and detection by having their names included in a “Thank You List” on the Internet Eyes Website. Secondly, the Viewer with the single highest number of points in a month will also receive an award of £1000 , which will be paid into the Viewer’s bank account in Europe on verification of identity and age. The award will be split in the event of a tie.
How does the feedback system work?

Owners of the camera you notified will rate your alert: You alerted incorrectly= 0 points You acted in good faith but it wasn’t a crime =1 points A crime was committed = 3 point
How does the camera system/viewing work?

Each Viewer will see 4 random camera feeds on their webpage. These feeds will be refreshed every 20 minutes with one image changing every 5 minutes. The locations of the cameras are not disclosed. No Viewer will be able to control or specify the camera feeds they watch. Each feed has an alert button built into the screen. If you witness an incident then simply click the alert button, this will expand the camera feed to full screen, where by pressing the alert button a second time will notify the owner of that camera of an incident. {click link to demo from homepage}
Will this cost me any money?

No. Internet Eyes is a free service for our registered Viewers.
What if I witness a crime but have no alerts left?

The system has been designed to prevent abuse hence the limited number of free alerts. With multiple Viewers across the platform the incident should be picked up by another user.
How many times can I alert?

Viewers account will be credited with 5 Alerts each month. For every correct alert registered on the Internet Eyes league table an additional alert will be allocated to that Viewers account. As soon as you have alerted you’ll be re-directed to new cameras. We believe these control measures will allow responsible use of our system.
How long do I need to watch?

Viewers can monitor for as much or as little as they want.

Double Naught Spy
February 2, 2010, 07:17 AM
No right to self-defense in the UK. None AT ALL!

You might have an interesting point if you weren't making it as a blatant lie. Even by the source YOU provided, your statement is not factual.
http://geoff82.wordpress.com/2006/11/27/the-right-to-self-defense/

There is most definitely a right to self defense in the UK. It does have some restrictive parameters, but it most definitely exists.

It is one thing to be up in arms about something you don't think is right. It is another to blatantly misrepresent it in hopes of making your argument stronger.

GOOD GOD!

I Just Found Out The British Government Is Streaming These Things Online! Anybody Can Watch People All Over Britain!

You know, I just can't see getting all that upset about something that has been going on for years. You act like this is a new crisis in some way.

The article you cited is 7 YEARS OLD!

If you are so outraged by this practice of letting people view (by the way, we do it in the US as well with the border cameras), then why publish the link address and the whole FAQ section? Why bother publishing the FAQ section at all?

Gungnir
February 2, 2010, 07:19 AM
LOL...

Its not supposed to be "watching" it's supposed to be observing for criminal activity. There aren't enough cops in the UK to watch this stuff if they all were on a 24 hour shift system and only watched this footage.

When I lived for a time in London, I was on camera for an estimated 8 hours per day, which is totally ridiculous, it was all the time I was not in the office, or at home. You're videoed on the tube, in your car if your driving, in tube stations, walking along the street, all in the name of crime prevention. But it doesn't work in reality because only the machines are recording it, no one is really watching it.

Sure it's totally insane, why do you think I got out? There is no right to privacy, there is no right to self defense, people have been put in prison for attacking a burglar with a fire poker, while the burglar was sent away Scot free. If god help you you get into a street fight the one arrested is normally the one who caused more damage, regardless of the aggressor. You have no real right to silence either the "miranda" is "You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence."

So for instance "where were you on January 21st at 8:00pm" "I don't remember" you later remember you were having dinner with 4-5 friends, well you might not be able to rely on that because the police might move to suppress. Oh as just to completely close the loop the police in the UK can deny your right to an attorney if a senior officer feels it "might impact the current investigation". Welcome the the USSK.

It's sad to think that at the turn of the 20th century the UK enjoyed nearly exactly the same rights and privileges as the US including the right to bear arms, in fact IIRC it was easier to get guns in the UK than the US. The thing that blew it out was the damn Thompson... :(

Oh and btw this is the activism forum you might want to move this thread elsewhere, if you can. Otherwise I can see the Mods closing it.

ILikeLead
February 2, 2010, 09:41 AM
CCTV is the modern version of the telescreen. Mr Orwell was very enlightened...

hso
February 2, 2010, 10:19 AM
OT for Activism

Not specific to RKBA, no plan proposed. Please see the sticky on posting in the Activism forum (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=270671) posted at the top of the page.

If you enjoyed reading about "No right to self-defense in the UK. None AT ALL!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!