Anyone NOT like the 1911 design?

PDA

ZeppelinM16
February 2, 2010, 11:45 PM
I know! Gasp! How dare I! But seriously, is there anyone on this forum that dosen't like the general design? I'm not speaking of a particular model, caliber or brand. I do not own one. And I don't want to start an argument of "which brand is better" or "if it doesn't come in 45 ACP, it's blaspheme" or anything like that. Just want some intellegent thoughts brought forth in a civil manner if we can handle that :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone NOT like the 1911 design?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr.Mall Ninja
February 2, 2010, 11:52 PM
Yeah I only heard it once it was in this thread,http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=501458

Although I think that is the only guy in the world.

jigglyjames29
February 2, 2010, 11:55 PM
The only thing I like about it is the trigger pull.

Blacklabelz
February 2, 2010, 11:56 PM
Barack Obama

REAPER4206969
February 3, 2010, 12:20 AM
Communists.

REAPER4206969
February 3, 2010, 12:21 AM
Barack Obama
Damn it! I was beaten...

five.five-six
February 3, 2010, 12:25 AM
Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians

FWIW, in a failing economy, Ombama has done great things for gun dealers business

http://chicksontheright.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/obama-gun-salesman1.jpg

jojo200517
February 3, 2010, 12:32 AM
I don't like that I can't release the slide from lock back with my right thumb without rotating my grip on the gun. Damn short stubby thumbs. I still sorta like them, I mean they are in the only proper caliber, but my damn little pt145 I can drop the slide forward with my thumb no prob and it holds 10+1.

Oh yeah I think there complicated to take apart.

Dr.Mall Ninja
February 3, 2010, 12:43 AM
Nazi's didn't like them neither did North Koreans or the VC or Terrorists and all other kind of bad guy scum.

mljdeckard
February 3, 2010, 12:47 AM
I took a guy out today and let him shoot mine, and explained to him that it was designed by John M. Browning under the guidance and direction of Almighty God.

He shot it and agreed.

five.five-six
February 3, 2010, 12:49 AM
I don't like that I can't release the slide from lock back with my right thumb without rotating my grip on the gun

I was taught that it is not a slide release, it is a slide catch... that in high stress situations, fine motor skills go to ^*&(%(^ so I always grab the slide with my left hand and release

Boats
February 3, 2010, 01:06 AM
The 1911 has certainly not been surpassed by anything worth a damn. The best anyone can do is to nearly equal it.

LeontheProfessional
February 3, 2010, 01:08 AM
I am not a huge fan of them. As in I don't own one and probably won't anytime in the near future but that does not mean I have them. What can I say, I am a Glock guy :).

Strahley
February 3, 2010, 01:23 AM
I like them, but I'm realistic with them. I think they do a lot of things very well, but I think there are some questions with better answers than a 1911. Same with Glock, SIG, Beretta, etc etc

I don't care for the grip safety all that much, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying a good 1911

AcceptableUserName
February 3, 2010, 02:30 AM
Germans. Japanese.

NWCP
February 3, 2010, 02:48 AM
I own a 1991A1 Compact that I like a lot. I used to have a 1991A1 full size. I now carry HKs, but the sole remaining Colt goes to the range with me on occasion and gets a workout. It's a nostalgia thing for me. I trained on 1911s in the service and carried one off and on for 20 years so I'll probably always have one on hand for old times sake. Do I like... yup, are they then end all must have firearm... nope.

scythefwd
February 3, 2010, 02:50 AM
I don't care for it. I don't like that I have to actively release something in order to shoot my guns that I didn't actively enable. Safeties are fine, as long as I have to set it to be enabled. I don't like the safety is off by exception. That is my only complaint though. I prefer the Browning HP design over the 1911. It is a small thing, the grip safety since it is disabled the second I grab the gun, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

R.W.Dale
February 3, 2010, 03:10 AM
AS everyone thinks of the 1911 no I don't like em AT ALL.

But you hand me a slick grip safetyless STAR A or B series pistol with it's ever so slightly slimmer grip and gracefully curved one piece backstrap and I'm in love

bds
February 3, 2010, 03:12 AM
I may be one of few Glock guy who loves 1911.

Now if Glock made a 1911 model ..... I be in Glock heaven :D

smartshooter.45
February 3, 2010, 03:13 AM
i love all metal pistols. the ergos of the 1911 really suit me. i also REALLY love my sigs. im still looking for the perfect P220 carry...

PT1911
February 3, 2010, 03:34 AM
IMO... in pistol designs, there are 4 designs that are distinctly different and offer truly unique features... First being the 1911. I, personally, love them and own 2. Second, the Glock... obviously, and rightfully ,so the polymer to which all polymers are compared. I dont own one and dont personally like them, but their place is undeniable. Third, the cz 75 and variants... I own one and love it. 4th, the Beretta (or Taurus as i would prefer) 92s and variants... I dont yet own, but it is a matter of time. An argument could also be made for the PPK fixed barrel design.

IMO... each of these has advantages that the others just cannot match and each will always have a STRONG, almost obsessed, following.

Like it or hate it, that is the way i see it... I think everyone likes something about the 1911 design.

makarovnik
February 3, 2010, 03:57 AM
"King of feedway stoppages". Not my quote. I loved them until I started shooting them, they are sexy. Love the caliber, not too thrilled with the platform.

RippinSVT
February 3, 2010, 04:20 AM
I don't like the fact that bare-bones no-name brand 1911's go for like $400-500, and in order to be what modern folks call a "usable defense pistol" it needs another $XXX worth of add ons and such. I also don't like how finicky they can be with regards to ammo, malfunctions, etc. But mostly I don't like how everyone seems to think that the Colt 1911 in .45acp can take down an army of bad guys while blowing 8" diameter holes in them, then keep on truckin' for another 1000rounds of mayhem.

It's the same reason I bitch about the AR craze. I own them both, I love them both, but they have their drawbacks. Neither are even CLOSE to being fine firearms in factory as-issued form, but both offer a million possibilities. The fact is, barring nostalgic throw-back plinking, very few today would shoot a 1911 if they were all GI models that couldn't feed HP's and dented the hell outta their brass. Just like they wouldn't a 1960's AR15 that feels like a rattle-trap and shoots 4" groups.

There are, plain and simple, more reliable platforms out there. That being said, you can modify either of the above to your heart's content and have a gun that you'll cherish for a lifetime. Lucky for us, the aftermarket has saved these designs and we can have the great guns we have today. Talk to a 1911 shooter in the 70's, and I assure you he would have cursed that gun more times than he could count.

frankiestoys
February 3, 2010, 06:57 AM
Iv'e always been a revolver guy and only recently bought my first 1911 a RIA compact, ya it's not an expensive name brand but all reports say ''who care's'' they work and work well.
After firring 200 rounds through it without a single issue and accuracy as close as my 6''
revolver, ya i like it! Easy recoil, simple take down about a million mod options whats not to like. Im hooked ill be buying another one maybe something in SS.

mec
February 3, 2010, 07:16 AM
Some don't like it flatfooted. Others have had experience with worn out or inferior guns rushed onto the market by gun companies eager for sales. For others, its a reaction to the large number of blowhards and instant experts babbling about their 1911.

rattletrap1970
February 3, 2010, 07:21 AM
There are folks like that, but they are usually wearing a helmet so they don't hurt themselves or anyone else.

atomd
February 3, 2010, 08:18 AM
Saying that 1911s are unreliable is like saying automobiles are unreliable...since some companies made poor examples of automobiles. The 1911 is a very reliable design. Heck, most designs these days are...it's just how well they are able to execute the design and how much room that particular design has for error.

mcdonl
February 3, 2010, 08:52 AM
For others, its a reaction to the large number of blowhards and instant experts babbling about their 1911.

That is what made me sell my 76 FLH and buy a Goldwing.

earlthegoat2
February 3, 2010, 08:53 AM
I dont like the grip safety primarily.

Its only good use is it is an excellent platform for customizers to extend, widen, and otherwise try to justify its existence.

Just One Shot
February 3, 2010, 08:55 AM
I'm not a big fan. I bought one to see what all of the hype was about. It was a decent enough gun but it didn't last more than a couple of months until I traded it away. It may be that I started out on a more modern platform many years ago but I just don't get the fascination with them. To each their own.

easyg
February 3, 2010, 09:07 AM
I don't like the manual safety and I'm not that wild about autoloaders with hammers.

BruM
February 3, 2010, 09:13 AM
Amazing design; I have owned one for years but it isn’t my favorite because it doesn’t feel right in the hand .

With all that stuff going on during cycling it feels like it is flying apart in your hand but then magically always reassembles itself in the correct manner. [:D]

ojibweindian
February 3, 2010, 09:17 AM
I really like the 1911, but I don't carry one now. I have to contort my hands in order to reach the magazine release and slide stop.

ny32182
February 3, 2010, 10:30 AM
I'm not a big fan of SAO, thumb safeties, grip safeties, or 8rd capacity, so I have never owned one. Never say never, but I don't currently have a desire to own one, and never have.

Dolph92
February 3, 2010, 10:36 AM
There probably is a large amount of people that dont like the 1911. Thats why there are more than just 1911's on the shelf at the Gun store... People with smaller hands or weak wrists my not like one over something else. I for one enjoy shooting one but for an everydaty carry weapon NOPE not liking it for that role. NOW if I was carrying it out in the open didnt have to conceal it sure I would like it. Its all about the circumstances on this one.

greyeyezz
February 3, 2010, 10:38 AM
I'm not a big fan of SAO, thumb safeties, grip safeties, or 8rd capacity, so I have never owned one. Never say never, but I don't currently have a desire to own one, and never have.

Same here. I can have G21 with 13 rds capacity for the same $ or less.

jfrey
February 3, 2010, 10:56 AM
If I was told I could only have one pistol, it would be a 1911 hands down. If you like those plastic guns- fine, but nothing comes close to holding and shooting a finely tuned 1911. JMB definitely had divine inspiration when he created it.

EddieNFL
February 3, 2010, 11:04 AM
I don't like that I can't release the slide from lock back with my right thumb without rotating my grip on the gun.

That's why God gave us thumbs on our left hands.

Psych professor in Texas said, "You are what you were when..." Most of us older guys will be more favorable of the 1911. Younger guys will tend to drift towards modern designs. Much the same with automobiles. My Dad would have never been caught dead in an import.

.45FMJoe
February 3, 2010, 11:09 AM
Godless communists don't like it.

five.five-six
February 3, 2010, 11:13 AM
I don't like the fact that bare-bones no-name brand 1911's go for like $400-500, and in order to be what modern folks call a "usable defense pistol" it needs another $XXX worth of add ons and such. I also don't like how finicky they can be with regards to ammo, malfunctions, etc

IDK, my first 1911 was a stainless springer GI, it was ~$500. it eats anything and everything, after well over 5k down the pipe, the only stopages I've had were related to a magazine I got at the gunshow for $9.00

SlamFire1
February 3, 2010, 11:17 AM
I guess you have to say, what do you “like” or “dislike” about the M1911.

There are people out there who consider the M1911 the pinnacle of pistol perfection. Any suggestion that it is not, is something so foreign, so offensive, that they will react in a strong negative way.

I enjoy taking my M1911’s out to the range and shooting them. The M1911 is a very reliable design, can be built into a very accurate pistol.

Having used it in IPSC competition, I can say it is a wonderful pistol to use in games designed around the thing. I have not shot it in Bullseye. My M1911’s have beavertails, to get leg points you have to shoot a M1911 very close WWII configuration and beavertails are prohibited.

However, I consider the M1911 a dated design and not my choice for a self defense pistol. I am of the opinion that a single stack single action pistol is an outdated concept for self defense.

Having tried to carry a M1911, only to find that the extended safety got bumped off, did not improve my sense of security. The thing is also heavy.

Modern beavertail designs block your access to the hammer, making hammer cocking from condition two, or lowering the hammer to condition two, not a reasonable carry condition for self defense.

The M1911, a great pistol to shoot on the weekends. Along with the other antiques I shoot.

xXxplosive
February 3, 2010, 11:22 AM
It's not a .45 unless it has a Horse on it....................

LoneCoon
February 3, 2010, 11:29 AM
I have tiny girl hands and I've not found a 1911 that feels comfortable in them. I also don't care for .45.

Thusly, I don't own one.

Evil One
February 3, 2010, 11:34 AM
My wife wears childrens gloves... and carries a 1911.
My children also shoot them fairly well.

Jim

easyg
February 3, 2010, 11:59 AM
People with smaller hands or weak wrists my not like one over something else.
Nonsense!

The 1911 is fine with folks with small hands.
In fact, since it uses a single stack magazine, it is much more comfortable in small hands than something like a Glock 21.
Heck, even the 9mm Beretta (used by many tiny female soldiers today) has a fatter grip than the 1911.

As for the "weak wrist" part....
Again, nonsense!
The 1911, because it's a 40 oz handgun, soaks up recoil just fine.
If you want a wrist-breaker try a .357 magnum in a scandium frame snubbie!

LeonCarr
February 3, 2010, 12:04 PM
I do not like the 1911. Do a search on LeonCarr and 1911 for all the sorded tales :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

huntsman
February 3, 2010, 12:07 PM
I know! Gasp! How dare I! But seriously, is there anyone on this forum that dosen't like the general design?

Another vote for the grip safety; I'm not sure why that was needed on military sidearm used in battle??

RP88
February 3, 2010, 12:10 PM
I may want one. I think the safeties and SAO are great for it. I just don't like the the fact that it only has an 8-round cap, yet weighs so much compared to even your everyday metal hi-caps. The low cap is, IMO, what will break a deal on a 1911 for me, honestly.

Out of curiosity, is there a place where 1911 newbs like myself can go to do some research on picking out a good one?

Dolph92
February 3, 2010, 12:25 PM
When I took my GF shooting (whom never shot a firearm before) we shot several sigs full and compacts and a 1911, some revolvers from 39 Spc to 357 and a glock. She didnt like the 1911 for the following reasons. Recoil, weight, and grip. She opted for a 239 as she shot that well the first time she shot it and still does today.

So maybe I should just take that away and give her a 1911 cus obviously her reasoning of wanting to be able to carry a firearm that SHE is comfortable with and the SHE can shoot well is nonsense cus it works fine for you ;) Like I said its all in relevence and what works for the shooter.....

gwnorth
February 3, 2010, 12:26 PM
I don't own one at the moment, but I have learned something about what I don't like (or would like different) if I get one again. I do not like ambi thumb safety, nor do I like extended thumb safety, so I would want a regular original style 1911 thumb safety on my next one.

And I think I would prefer an commander (or maybe even officer size ?) over another government size (and all stainless).

Another one may be in my future, once I settle down on exactly what I want and then find a nice used one to suit.

HGUNHNTR
February 3, 2010, 12:28 PM
I do wish mainstream 1911 builders would offer more caliber selection in their various models. I would really like a blued 10mm that was in the $700 range.
Maybe even a .357 sig.

MattTheHat
February 3, 2010, 12:38 PM
I love the 1911, though I will readily admit that being able to shoot one accurately requires more work from me than with some other designs, and I'm not sure why.

I like SAO and I like the grip safety (though I always install beavertails on mine) and the manual safety.

As for caliber selection, I'd bet the 1911 has been chambered in more variety than any other single firearm: this is probably an incomplete list, but these are the calibers I'm aware of:

.22LR
7.62x25mm
9mm
9X23
9X25
38 Auto (not sure)
38 Super
38 Special Midrange Wadcutter
.357 Sig
.40 S&W (10mm Kurz)
.400 Corbon
10mm
45ACP
.460 Rowland
.50 GI

-Matt

Prion
February 3, 2010, 12:40 PM
Sold my SA TRP and bought a P220 Combat. I like shooting the Sig so much more. I don't enjoy shooting 1911's. Wanted too, even bought one. I respect it immensely, but it's just not for me. Don't think less of me, I tried to love it!

Butter
February 3, 2010, 01:00 PM
Never wanted to be a 1911 kinda guy, but smallish hands and the weight distribution of an all steel 1911 tame recoil for me. Add to this that the single stack grip and 'hang-on' angle are superlative for me, then there you go. As per reliability, had one issue with a Springer fully loaded right out of the box that a smith fixed and now have four 1911s and none are bad. The other three, including one Kimber bought used, have functioned well and are accurate. I have no need to disregard a gun that points well, handles well, is accurate and does not bobble any of the ammo I feed it.

ny32182
February 3, 2010, 01:15 PM
I mentioned before I'm not a 1911 fan, but I will add that the skinny frame and mild recoil do make for a pistol that would be good for smaller type shooters, in my opinion.

NinjaFeint
February 3, 2010, 01:52 PM
I don't dislike it but I am not particularly enamored with it. It is almost a religion for some folks and I think that is silly. I guess I am just not a member of the cult of JMB.

Headless
February 3, 2010, 01:58 PM
Eh, i don't dislike it, but i'd prefer a gun without a grip safety, and i prefer DA/SA to SA only. I wouldn't feel particularly under-armed with a 1911...i'd just not choose to buy one over, say, an S&W 3rd gen pistol.

Ronsch
February 3, 2010, 02:41 PM
Well...I don't love and drool over them, if that is what you mean. In SASS, there is a big push for "Wild Bunch"(based on the movie of the same name) matches featuring the 1911. To me, that is sort of ruining why I got into SASS in the first place, but I digress...

I have shot various 1911's over the years, especially some really, really rough NG issues back in the early 1980s. I never did like the disassembling procedure. I much prefer the Browning High Power, plus, despite owning .45 ACP revolvers now, I just prefer the 9mm.

As an aside (and not to hijack the thread) For those that do not seem to believe that the 9mm is combat effective, I would draw their attention to WWI and WWII as examples of the 9mm effectiveness, just as I would the .45 ACP.

Just IMHO...

Echo9
February 3, 2010, 04:56 PM
I don't like that I can't release the slide from lock back with my right thumb without rotating my grip on the gun. Damn short stubby thumbs. I still sorta like them, I mean they are in the only proper caliber, but my damn little pt145 I can drop the slide forward with my thumb no prob and it holds 10+1.

Oh yeah I think there complicated to take apart.
Drop the slide by pushing the slide stop down with your offhand thumb as soon as you've returned to a proper shooting grip.

mljdeckard
February 3, 2010, 05:06 PM
^^I agree with the above sentiment in that a lot of the complaints here can be solved with a teeny bit of training and sometimes a modified part.

oneounceload
February 3, 2010, 05:40 PM
Some of us who are LH do not like those with RH only safeties. While the trigger is better than a Glock, it isn't any better than any of my S&W revolvers in SA mode.

They're not bad guns, but I believe there are better out there.....

The Lone Haranguer
February 3, 2010, 06:12 PM
I like the design fine. It is the execution of too many of them that gives me problems.

February 3, 2010, 06:53 PM
I managed to avoid buying one for 20 years since I really didn't find them to be ergonomic and they simply have too much "stuff" on them with all of those blasted safety features. I bought a SIG P220 and P225 in '92 and the SIG P220 is simply the best pistol on the planet (to me anyway). The SIGs are just so friggin' elegant in their simplicity. No safety, just take down, de-cocking and slide lock levers with 100% reliability and very good accuracy. I like the SA/DA feature since there's no way to have an AD with a round in the chamber.

Late last year I bought a Kimber Tactical Entry II because I figured every firearms enthusiast should own one as a tribute to the genius of JMB if nothing else. Needless to say, I won't be buying another 1911 anytime soon. My next pistol will be a Glock 22 Gen 4 followed by another P220.

:)

Matrix187
February 3, 2010, 08:27 PM
I love the 1911 design, but I think todays hi cap 9mm/.40 caliber handguns offer significant advantages for most.

five.five-six
February 3, 2010, 08:38 PM
Some of us who are LH do not like those with RH only safeties

some lefties carry 1911's in the 1/2 cocked position, others have an ambi-safety installed

mec
February 3, 2010, 08:56 PM
The 1911 is something of a self fulfilling prophesy. So many enthusiasts have lionized it that it has become a highly developed phenomena. There is a plenitute of spare/replacement parts to keep it running.and it can be made into an accurate fine shooter. It is not just suited to the adult versions of little league baseball where the middle aged shooters substitute handguns for bats and balls and run the bases just like they did as 12 year olds but as a broad spectrum and truely practical personal defense and recreational tool with accuracy and rapid fire capability to spare.

Sam1911
February 3, 2010, 09:07 PM
some lefties carry 1911's in the 1/2 cocked position
There is NO safe "half-cocked" position on a 1911! That's depending on the safety notch which is designed to catch the hammer in the event of the hammer and sear failure or in the event of dropping the pistol jarring the hammer and sear. That notch is not secure enough to safely hold the hammer from falling, and yet it holds the hammer far enough off the firing pin that in the event of a failure or a bump which dislodges the hammer, there's enough energy developed to fire the cartridge.

Even "Condition 2" (hammer down on a loaded chamber) is safer than this.

-Sam

oneounceload
February 3, 2010, 09:20 PM
some lefties carry 1911's in the 1/2 cocked position, others have an ambi-safety installed

No 1/2 cocked position...(remember the adage about going off halfcocked...:D)

An ambi safety means there is an extra piece to snag

If it works for you, great, not for me.....I'd rather have a revolver

w_houle
February 3, 2010, 09:30 PM
The barrel is needlessly complicated, and effectively dealt with on the BHP. It's low round count for it's size isn't compensated enough by being a .45... and it still requires to much work to put new parts onto it :banghead: not that being in production for a century has changed that any :rolleyes: Oh, and be purist all you want, but there's a reason the BHP has an external extractor.

NMGonzo
February 3, 2010, 09:43 PM
Went shooting to the desert with my boss.

He is a pretty good shot, and he owns a .357 revolver and a Sig P6.

He finally got some trigger time with my combat commander.

It's growing on him ... slowly but surely.

Next time out I'll bring the gov't RIA and see how he likes the bigger size.

jojo200517
February 3, 2010, 09:51 PM
I was taught that it is not a slide release, it is a slide catch... that in high stress situations, fine motor skills go to ^*&(%(^ so I always grab the slide with my left hand and release

Yeah I have been told this before, I have also been told that if you drop the slide on an empty chamber you can damage something too, despite the fact that most function checks do just that.

My problem with using my left hand to release the slide is that I might not be able to, who knows if i'm hit in the left hand and can't drop the slide foward then i'm screwed. As long as I can keep shooting the better chance I have of surviving. Just the way I always looked at it.

okespe04
February 3, 2010, 11:51 PM
I like the 1911 a lot, I also like my glock 19 a lot, my gp100 is nice too. However I can say the 1911 is the only hand gun that I can say I would like to get another one made by different manufacturer.

mgmorden
February 4, 2010, 01:27 AM
I'll chime in on this one. I have a 1911 - have shot it a good deal.

My opinion: it was a GREAT design for it's time, and it's not "bad" per se, but it is very, very outdated. They're heavy compared to newer polymer designs, single stack limits round count (and .45ACP makes for a very wide double-stack, it's single action, the "tuning" of the extractor that amounts to bending it until it works, pickiness about feeding hollowpoints, and the way some things attach (like the safety plunger tube) is just odd.

Like I said - good (heck - GREAT) design for it's time, but that time has long past. There are much better guns out there now. They just don't have the nostalgia factor working for them. Now for range or target use none of these things really matter that much, but for a defense or general utility gun? They're past their prime.

Justice5
February 4, 2010, 07:25 AM
The only issue for me is that it has a safety, and has an 8 round magazine. Otherwise, mine is the funnest, and most accurate shooting handgun that I own. I'm so used to my Glocks now, and it's easy not to have to think about flipping off a safety in a stressful situation.

twice barrel
February 4, 2010, 08:40 AM
Back in the 70's & 80's when I shot a lot and was a bonafide gun nut I had a friend (a WWII vet) that just loved his Colt 1911's while I preferred S&W & Ruger revolvers. Sometimes we'd trade out and other than looks; I never liked shooting the 1911.

Recently getting back into shooting and sampling what the local shops now carried I purchased my first polymer framed pistol, my first 40 S&W pistol...a Springfield Armory XDm40 because ammo was available and I loved how it felt and pointed in my hand. But it constantly FTF'd and I found I don't like the 3-dot sight picture. Sent if off to Springer Precision for some reworking and its now much better.

I've been hankering for a 45 ACP and truly liked the XD45 Tactical I shot but decided against it because I knew I'd have to send it out for a trigger job and sight replacement before I'd be satisfied with it. Decided I'd get an inexpensive 1911 and wound up with an RIA 1911A1 Tactical which I believe is referred to as a Milspec pistol. Took it and my XDm40 to the range.

Ran 76 rounds thru my RIA with the groups at 10yds being the best I've shot to date and the very first shot ever in the piston being dead center. Put her in my bag and pulled the XDm40 out.

Didn't like it so much. Just wasn't as nice to shoot as that 1911 and I've got 3 times as much in it.

Still haven't figured out what it was I didn't like about those Colts my buddy had so long ago either!

TB

Clarence
February 4, 2010, 03:02 PM
I own and carry a 1911 but not because I've drank the 1911 koolaid. From my perspective there is no such thing as a perfect handgun. Every design has deficiencies of some fashion. I've owned pretty much every other handgun thats readily available and I chose the 1911 as my carry gun for several reasons which I think make it a better choice.....for me.

The ergonomics and weight mitigate recoil to a greater degree than other designs
The trigger is superior to pretty much all other potential CCW handguns
The .45 ACP has a good track record in defensive use
It's made in the USA
It's easier to carry IWB

My .02 worth

golden
February 5, 2010, 09:23 AM
I used to be a devoted 1911 fan, but other choices proved more to my liking.

I am not a .45ACP fanatic and prefer 9m.m. +P in a compact or .40 S&W in a full size gun.

I have found the BERETTA 92/96, GLOCK 17 & 19 and SIG 226 to be more reliable, accurate and easier to shoot than similar priced 1911's.

When I first started shooting 1911's in the 1980's, you could only buy COLT and the first thing you did was run to a gunsmith to get a ramp job and descent set of sights.
1911 pistols have improved a great deal, but I still prefer the others.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone NOT like the 1911 design?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!