Wanted to diversify calibers, but not so sure any more...

PDA

AcceptableUserName
February 3, 2010, 11:09 PM
I only own one pistol right now, a Sig P220. I've OWNED others, but currently that's it. Out of all the pistols I've owned, the Beretta 92fs was my favorite. It just fit me so well, from grip size and angle to da/sa and safety, I literally love everything about them. So I was looking at making an INOX my next purchase, but I'm not so sure. Here's why...

The gun will be purchased with a defensive role in mind. My Sig is a great gun, but limited on capacity. So I am wanting a higher cap gun. A 92 with Mitchell mags is about as hi cap as you can get without going all ineffective mall ninja. However, I already own a .45....and I believe in the .45's ability to stop a threat, REGARDLESS of the ammo put in it. Not so with a 9. With a 9, I feel like ammo selection is VERY important. I'd honestly feel good with a mag full of FMJ in a .45 carry gun. So if I bought the 9, I'd kinda be spreading myself too thin...then you factor in the fact that there's some full size beasts in .45, like the FNP and XD, that rival a 9 in capacity (more or less)...

and it's hard for me to want anything but another .45 at this point...

If you enjoyed reading about "Wanted to diversify calibers, but not so sure any more..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NWCP
February 3, 2010, 11:36 PM
Then stay with a .45. I have no problem owning different caliber pistols and in fact own quite a few. I tend to carry a 9mm and keep the most ammo on hand for my 9s. I also keep .22LR and .45ACP in quantity. The rest of my pistols get enough ammo to enjoy occasional range days. The popular catch phrase 'diversity' could apply to my gun collection. As for my carry pistols 9mm is the workhorse though not all of them are high capacity. I still enjoy my single stack 9s and have never felt under gunned when carrying one.

AcceptableUserName
February 3, 2010, 11:38 PM
I have no problems whatsoever with the 9. Most proponents of the .45 call the 9 "anemic", not I.

With the right JHP load it's gonna ruin days as bad as anything, and be quieter and cheaper doing it. And I'm not even talking +p. But my rationale is being able to use pretty much ANY 230gr ammo out of the .45, if need be, to protect myself, as well as the fact that I already wn one. More of the same type of ammo seems like a win to me.

texas bulldog
February 3, 2010, 11:44 PM
don't sell guns. just buy more.

eldon519
February 3, 2010, 11:46 PM
Unless you are overly concerned about some kind of post-apocalyptic situation, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to feed your 9mm the ammunition prefer. I might agree with your trust in the .45 if ammo selection were out of your control, but ammo selection is very much in your control barring the end of the world. And if the world ends, and you are just relying on your handgun, you're probably screwed anyway.

You could probably also argue that if the gun fits you better, and you are more comfortable with it, then you could probably shoot it better. If you can put 3 9mm rounds on target in the time you put 2 .45 rounds on target, I'd say you're better off with the 9mm.

My suggestion: get the Beretta and get the hollowpoints you trust most.

MCgunner
February 4, 2010, 05:19 AM
Personally, I just figure in the price of dies and a mold when I'm getting a new caliber. Keeps the cost of shooting way down. In handguns I'm shooting 9x19, 9x17, .38/.357, .45 Colt, .45ACP, .30-30, 7mmTCU, and the rimfires not including the cap and ball revolvers. I'm thinking of adding a Mak (9x18) soon and would like a .40 just for all the free brass I pick up. :D Too many calibers? Nah, I'd also love a .41 mag someday and I'll maybe add a .454 Casull in the future.

I would argue that ammo selection in .45ACP is just as important as 9. The track record of .45 ball is pretty pathetic. Give me hollowpoints or go home. :D It's why I got rid of my 1911s, didn't feed anything, but ball very reliably.

Gets right down to it, for power, I'm a magnum revolver guy. I don't give much creed to firepower. I can hit what I'm shooting at. If it takes more'n a couple, you really need practice. It's nice to have more, just I like revolvers in .357 magnum for steroid power. .45+P in a good load, though, is right up there with the magnum, but again, ammo IS important in ANY self defense handgun caliber.

johnnylaw53
February 4, 2010, 07:27 AM
If you like the beretta get it I have an INOX 92 and it a great weapon i really have a lot of faith in the 9mm. I carried one for a long time until they took it away and issued us sigs in .357. That when I got my own beretta. With the ammo of today the HP's do perform well and you should have no problems. With the beretta full size you have 5" of barrel which is almost a full inch compare to a lot of other full size 9's out there so your power should be up some which will give you even a better chance of the hp performing like it should. I would like to settle on one round sometimes but my off duty weapone is a s&w 642 so I keep 38's and 9mm's around.

be safe

Just One Shot
February 4, 2010, 08:23 AM
XD .45 comes with 2-13 rd. mags. With one in the tube that's 27 rds. available with just one spare mag to carry.

Comforting thought, isn't it?
;)

BossHogg
February 4, 2010, 08:40 AM
I have a CCO size .45,6+1 extra clip, for CCW. Multiple 9mm for range time. 638 .38+p for pocket carry. 3 inch model 60 .357 ,the best all around gun ever made, for when I get in my revolver mode.
I have yet to find that one gun fits all and will do all. I've mostly have the bases covered, so now the good deal on a gun is what i'm looking for.
I do try to stay within these calibars, but isn't a deal breaker. Get what you will enjoy.

gwnorth
February 4, 2010, 09:28 AM
If you really like the .45acp round, then look at some of the hi-cap guns available. An FNP-45 comes with 3 mags (3x14rnd, or 2x14rnd and 1x15rnd) and is a great choice for a HD pistol (a bit largish IMO for carry, but then I'd say the same of any of the double stack .45's). There's also Glock's 21/21sf, SA, S&W - a number of choices to find what fits your hand best.

If you don't reload, an advantage of going to 9mm is that range ammo is much cheaper, so you can shoot more. Personally, I think a good 9mm hollow point is a perfectly acceptable defensive round, but if you want to stick to .45 and just add a gun with higher capacity magazines, there are a number of choices and all are good guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wanted to diversify calibers, but not so sure any more..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!