Brady Campaign attacking Starbucks

PDA

MudCamper
February 4, 2010, 07:22 PM
http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/gunlobbybacked/opencarryguns

For those not in the know on goings-ons in California, the Open Carry community has been getting more active. Groups have been meeting in various public establishments. As a result of a Brady Campaign bullying, the Peet's coffee chain publicly announced that it does not allow firearms in it's establishments. However, when the Brady campaign contacted Starbucks, they replied that they respect whatever the laws were in the given state. As a result of this, the Brady Campaign is stepping up it's pressure against Starbucks nationwide.

We all need to let Starbucks know that we appreciate that they respect our rights and our state laws, and to not let the Brady bullies pressure them into changing their position.

http://www.starbucks.com/customer/contact_forms.asp?nav=3f

If you enjoyed reading about "Brady Campaign attacking Starbucks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
February 4, 2010, 07:40 PM
Done and done, thanks.

The VPC OpenCarry FAQ is good for some laughs... :)

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/gunlobbybacked/opencarryguns

devildog32713
February 4, 2010, 07:42 PM
I sent their customer service email a comment, thanking them for allowing open carry in their locations. Thanks for letting the THR community know about this.

devildog32713
February 4, 2010, 07:53 PM
The entire website is flawed, Why should we have guns in coffee shops or restruants? Because criminals have them, in coffee shops and restruants, if the criminals can have them then honest citizens should be able to have them. Just my $0.02

FuzzyBunny
February 4, 2010, 08:02 PM
Just went to the website.

I feel like I need a shower now.

ArmedBear
February 4, 2010, 08:13 PM
Most people wouldn't give a crap.

Of those who do, there are many more people on the pro-gun side who would give a crap, than on the anti-gun side. Starbuck's would be wise to compare the membership count of the NRA with that of the Brady Campaign.

HGUNHNTR
February 4, 2010, 08:17 PM
I sent SBUX an email, thanks for posting this.

I still have a hard time believing the Brady Campaign can actually live with themselves. It should be illegal to attempt to brainwash people. Puke.

sherman123
February 4, 2010, 08:46 PM
I never go in Starbuck's but they ain't gotta know that. I sent them a letter anyway thanking them and letting them know they have my support.

JellyJar
February 4, 2010, 08:47 PM
Please note the tactics used by the Brady Campaign. They state certain of their opinions as fact and do not offer any evidence to support these opinions. For example:

The open carrying of firearms in public places is inherently threatening and intimidating, and poses risks to those nearby, to law enforcement and to the community.

Says who!? I am not intimidated. I don't feel threatened. You? How did they arrived at this conclusion? Tarot cards?

What risks? I see no risks except to maybe criminals. Again they have no reason to say that the lawful carrying of handguns in public establishments like Starbuck constitute any risks to the law abiding.

I should also state that I believe that Sara Brady and her colleagues at the VPC do not believe that private citizens have the right of armed self defense.

Everyone should have the right to sit in a coffee shop or a restaurant with their families, including their children, without being confronted with the threatening presence of openly-displayed handguns and assault weapons.

Again they make allegations without providing any supporting facts to support them.

Samurai Penguin
February 4, 2010, 08:57 PM
I just went to that site, and I swear I lost at least 20 IQ points. :banghead:

I can rarely visit Starbucks, since they don't have parking lots big enough for a semi...but I'll be buying their prepackaged coffee at the grocery store from now on. :cool:

Kyle1886
February 4, 2010, 08:58 PM
Mud, did you post this on CalGuns?

hso
February 4, 2010, 10:46 PM
Be sure that when you're thanking Starbucks you're thanking them for not bowing to bullying by special interest groups and respecting the individual state laws. Reinforce what they've said they're doing. If you want, point out that none of your money will go to their competitors who bow to such threats.

jahwarrior
February 4, 2010, 11:20 PM
i never drank their coffee, because i think it's stupid to pay that much for a cup of coffee i can make better at home.

however, i don't think it'll kill me to drink a cup of their craptastic stuff every once in awhile, to show my support.

Bovice
February 5, 2010, 12:10 AM
I'm gonna stop making fun of Starbucks now. I'll be there in the morning.

EugeneInNC
February 5, 2010, 12:55 AM
I never go in Starbuck's

I never did either. I don't need $4.00 per cup coffee. But... I will be going to SBucks two times a week as long as this is their position on my 2nd ammendment rights. It takes courage to stand up to bullies especially in this economy when their business is off from previous levells. I will support their business. I will also insist on speaking to the store manager at each location to let them know that I appreciate this.

I'll be buying their prepackaged coffee at the grocery store from now on

Me too. I just hope they have something that resembles plain ole coffee.

MudCamper, thanks for posting this.

recondoc
February 5, 2010, 01:45 AM
I just sent them a Thank You and Keep Up the Strong Stand email. I'll be buying their products to support them with my $$. I also mentioned to them that all major shooting incidents in recent history have taken place in "Gun Free Zones".
Doc

John Parker
February 5, 2010, 02:00 AM
Done and done...I think I'm going to grab a delicious hot chocolate there tomorrow morning!

Gryffydd
February 5, 2010, 02:07 AM
i never drank their coffee, because i think it's stupid to pay that much for a cup of coffee i can make better at home.
Isn't it crazy that they charge like $1.50 for a cup of coffee? Much better to get gas station coffee for like, 40 cents less :evil:
I have yet to hear about anyone in WA having trouble from the employees for OC. The other customers on the other hand...

MudCamper
February 5, 2010, 02:33 AM
Mud, did you post this on CalGuns?

It's already posted there, thanks!

TCB in TN
February 5, 2010, 02:59 AM
Done, I don't drink there that often, but will take more opportunities to do so thanks to their current stated position.

TCB

UpTheIrons
February 5, 2010, 01:06 PM
I lived in Ft. Wayne, IN, while Paul Helmke was mayor of the city (mid 90's). Suffice it to say that he has not grown any more reasonable with age.

I have also commented positively about their current stance (thanking them for allowing people to protect their families) and will pay them a visit the next time I pass by a store (nearest one is 15 miles away).

HiroProX
February 5, 2010, 01:14 PM
Sounds like I'll be getting a venti quad mocha at Starbucks today. :)

mcdonl
February 5, 2010, 01:29 PM
I did HSO, mentioned specifics.

Arkansas Paul
February 5, 2010, 02:25 PM
Just emailed Starbucks. Thanks for letting us know about this.
I also went to the Brady site. I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

Extremely Pro Gun
February 5, 2010, 03:32 PM
Yay for starbucks!!!! I wont feel as much like a hippie when I go there.

KBintheSLC
February 5, 2010, 04:15 PM
Just wrote to Starbucks to give some praise. Maybe I will finally find it in my heart to stop by for a $5 cup of coffee after all.

I also wrote to Peet's informing them that I have banned their establishment indefinitely.

Gouranga
February 5, 2010, 04:37 PM
yeah I like how in their quote from the Sheriff they leave out this part of the document:
"Should the gun carrying person fail to comply with a law enforcement instruction or move in a way that could be construed as threatening, the police are forced to respond in kind for their own protection..."

This what really creates a danger is a person carrying a gun who fails to comply with the police.

I would say what creates a danger is freaked out liberals who call 911 the second they see someone with anything they might consider a weapon. I BET in some more liberal area if you walked down the street with a baseball bat, they would call the police and say you were threatening or suspicious even if you were going to a softball game.

2ndAmFan
February 5, 2010, 04:38 PM
Emailed Starbucks and thanked them. I couldn't take much of the Brady Campaign site. When I was a young boy my parents taught me that if I couldn't think of anything good to say about someone I shouldn't say anything. Guess I don't have much to say about the Brady Campaign.

Gryffydd
February 5, 2010, 05:00 PM
Maybe I will finally find it in my heart to stop by for a $5 cup of coffee after all.
This just won't go away, will it? :rolleyes:

Mr.Davis
February 5, 2010, 06:07 PM
Here's what I sent them. If you feel it's worthwhile, you're welcome to use part or all of this message, but please don't turn it into a form letter - add your own unique spin to it so they don't think we're just spamming like the Bradys:

Hello,

It has come to my attention that the Brady Campaign has been waging a PR war against a number of businesses, attempting to bully them into creating policies restricting the right of law abiding citizens to legally carry firearms in their stores.

Thank you for your current corporate stance observing each state's individual firearms carry laws. I ask that you continue allowing citizens to carry firearms in your stores in accordance with each state's laws.

On their petition, the Brady Campaign claims "The practice of packing heat in places like Starbucks is intimidating and could be potentially dangerous to our families and communities – and it must be stopped." This is a blantant and intentional distortion of the facts. I would like to share the qualifications I must meet in order to legally carry a concealed handgun in my home state, Kentucky:

Not be a felon
Not be a fugitive from justice
Not be addicted to any controlled substance
Not have been adjudicated as having a mental illness
Not be subject to a domestic violence order or emergency protective order
Not have been convicted of a crime of domestic violence
Not be prohibited from the purchase, receipt or possession of firearms, ammunition or both
Not have two or more convictions for drunk driving
Not have been committed as an alcoholic
Have not been convicted of Assault in the fourth degree or Terroristic Threatening in the third degree
Demonstrate competence with a firearm by successful completion of a firearms safety or training course offered or approved by the Department of Criminal Justice Training.

Frankly, licensed firearms owners are the last people Starbucks should be afraid to stand behind in line.

I and millions of others legally carry a firearm specifically to defend ourselves and our families. While I respect the rights of property owners such as Starbucks to regulate the posession of firearms on their property, I do not do business with companies that require that I disarm to enter their property. My safety, and the safety of my family, is far more important than any product.

Companies like California Pizza Kitchen and Peet's Coffee and Tea have permanently lost my business because they have banned the legal carry of firearms by paying customers like me. Thank you again for your current strong stance in favor of current state laws, and the right of self-defense.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

sherman123
February 5, 2010, 07:24 PM
Ever notice how they have to throw the words "assault weapon" or "assault rifle" into almost every single article they write? Appealing to fear,emotion, and ignorance.

ShadyScott999
February 5, 2010, 07:36 PM
My e-mail to Starbucks...

I applaud the fact you follow state law regarding the carrying of firearms. The lawful gun owning public are some of the most loyal customers you will ever have.

Please don't let the fanatic Brady campaign sway your patriotic support of the US Bill of rights.

hso
February 7, 2010, 09:38 AM
Now, how can we turn this on the Brady Campaign so that they appear to be a bunch of lying bullies?

If they've failing to get traction with voters and they've switched to (or have added) trying to frighten the public and bully businesses complying with state law we should dissect their propaganda and use the state law to show they're willfully lying about what is or isn't happening. We're good at that.

The next step would be to get that "analysis" to a sympathetic news outlet in the state. Not the predictable ones that would be seen as "right wing-nut" media, but one that is more widely respected. If it can be spun as "out of touch lobby group switches tactics to lying about businesses in our state" it could be a great big black eye for Brady Campaign and push business to the companies that hold fast.

Sebastian the Ibis
February 7, 2010, 01:34 PM
Maybe I will finally find it in my heart to stop by for a $5 cup of coffee after all.

Starbucks only charges $.50 for a refill of regular drip coffee. Save your cup! If its ratty usually they just toss it and give you a new one anyway.

Caliper_RWVA
February 7, 2010, 02:29 PM
Awesome, sending SB a message now...

So, if the Californians are having success at this, is anyone in the SE Michigan (Pontiac/Flint) area interested in trying to get something like this going?

trol79
February 7, 2010, 04:19 PM
I have the impression that these "Brady-Bunch" is a pro_Felon's group.:barf:

archigos
February 7, 2010, 10:13 PM
Just submitted to Starbucks:
Sir or Madam,
I am writing to thank Starbucks for their support of basic rights of Americans by refusing to cave in to pressure from the Brady Campaign and the anti-rights movement.
I applaud the patriotism exhibited by Starbucks by continuing to abide by the laws of states and to respect the right of people to secure themselves from harm. As a result, I will continue to proudly purchase goods from Starbucks. In contrast, by caving into pressure from the anti-rights movement, Peet's Coffee and California Pizza Kitchen have permanently lost a customer.
Those who choose to legally carry firearms are some of the most loyal and trustworthy customers. Many of them, including myself, consciously make everyday decisions based on ethics alone. I am very pleased that Starbucks has exuded good ethics and that I will be able to continue to support your business in the future.

MovedWest
February 8, 2010, 04:37 AM
hso wrote:
Now, how can we turn this on the Brady Campaign so that they appear to be a bunch of lying bullies?

No offense hso, but this isn't about appearance; they ARE a bunch of lying bullies. I'm not into name calling, but let's call a spade a spade. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Now proving it should be a worthy pursuit. Any ideas from anyone on that one?

-MW

Carl N. Brown
February 8, 2010, 07:39 AM
it is really not about wanting to carry in Starbucks

OK, given that two friends of my brother were killed by a carjacker on the way to band practice, my motivation to get a handgun carry permit was not to be armed at my destination (whether a Starbucks, restaurant that serves alcoholic beverages, or any other venue) but to carry concealed during the journey (as well as being armed at home against home invasion). Moving a gun from holster to concealment in the vehicle is awkward, may expose the gun to easily spooked observors, and leaves the gun vulnerable to theft, plus the awkwardness of retrieving the gun from concealment in a vehicle and returning it to the holster. Leaving a handgun in the holster is a lot safer than unholstering and reholstering.

Handyguy
February 8, 2010, 11:40 AM
Sent my regards and thank you to Starbucks.

DAVIDSDIVAD
February 8, 2010, 12:15 PM

I sent Starbucks the link to Texas DPS' statistics on CHL holders.

jn1965
February 8, 2010, 12:24 PM
Here is my mail to SBUX
'I applaud your decision not to curtail 2nd Amendment rights in your stores by allowing open carry of firearms. Do not let the Brady Campaign and their Internet petitions intimidate you as they have Peet's. I for one will no longer patronize Peet's but will spend my money at Starbucks. "

Jeff23
February 8, 2010, 03:31 PM
Guys, also go to any other firearms forums you post at and let them know--I ut up a thread on my local forum and got a few people to write to Starbucks.

coop923
February 8, 2010, 04:38 PM
Praised Starbucks yesterday, informed Peet's today that they'll never have my business. Just curious if anyone requested a reply; I didn't.

rino451
February 8, 2010, 05:35 PM
Showing appreciation by organizing a Starbucks appreciation day across a bunch of pro 2nd sites would be killer. At a minimum support them with your $'s. I don't buy anything there, but will when convenient and for certain this week simply because of this episode.

Riss
February 9, 2010, 01:02 AM
Nothing like grabbing the quote from the VPC website and correcting it. My version is as follows.

"I applaud Starbucks for standing up for the safety of its customers and permit guns in your retail establishments. Guns do belong in restaurants and coffee shops where children and families gather. You have the legal right to keep your coffee shops free from guns and permitting lawful carry of firearms, where permitted by local or state law only serves the public interest. The recent push among some gun banners to restrict legal, open carry of guns believing that exercising ones Constitutionally guaranteed right is intimidating and potentially dangerous could not be further from the truth. It puts families and law enforcement officers at ease, knowing that upstanding Citizens are looking out for the well being of others and assisting Law Enforcement to keep society safer. Please stand by your wise decision and keep our families safe."

hso
February 9, 2010, 07:21 AM
Riss,

Not picking nits, but you may want to modify one sentence since I'm not sure it conveys the message you want.

"You have the legal right to keep your coffee shops free from guns and permitting lawful carry of firearms, where permitted by local or state law only serves the public interest."

Maybe something like this was more what you meant? -
You have the legal right to permit lawful carry of firearms and where permitted by local or state law only serves the public interest instead of submitting to pressure from a special interest group from outside the state.

MisterMike
February 9, 2010, 10:31 AM
I plagiarized much of Mr.Davis's note to Starbucks, adding that they've "gained a customer for life."

It's worth remembering that money is generally the key to those who determine corporate policy. If they can wrap themselves in the Constitution, all the better.

DAVIDSDIVAD
February 9, 2010, 11:05 AM
Guys, starbucks doesn't have to be that expensive.
It's when you give in to temptation and buy some cup o' crap with whipped cream.

I've spent just two dollars before.

UpTheIrons
February 9, 2010, 12:58 PM
Looks like not everyone in the Starbucks 'food chain' got the memo. :fire: There are some problems up in Wyoming, it looks like. Can anyone in or near Cheyenne corroborate this nonsense?

http://www.examiner.com/x-25069-Cheyenne-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d6-Starbucks--Not-so-fast

DAVIDSDIVAD
February 9, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hmmm, thanks for the heads up, UpTheIrons

KBintheSLC
February 9, 2010, 03:00 PM
Another interesting statement by the Manager is he stated - “I own guns but why would anyone want to carry them around women and children”.

I pretty much LOL'ed when I read this SB managers statement...

http://www.examiner.com/x-25069-Cheyenne-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d6-Starbucks--Not-so-fast

He's right... bad things never happen in the presence of women and children. As a matter of fact, I will just strap my child to my chest in public as an effective gun deterrent.

Duh... that's all I can say... duh. I think I lost several previously functional brain cells reading this. The ignorance of some never ceases to amaze me.

DAVIDSDIVAD
February 9, 2010, 03:11 PM
What's funny is that he's showing how illogical and offensive anti-gun rhetoric is.

He's saying that women are inferior beings.

CHEVELLE427
February 9, 2010, 04:07 PM
I sent their customer service email a comment, thanking them for allowing open carry in their locations.

I DID TOO
i also sent the brady camp an email asking if anybody had a brain.;)

seems like a bunch of empty heads.:rolleyes:

guess ill be on there list now:eek:

UpTheIrons
February 9, 2010, 04:32 PM
Hmmm, thanks for the heads up, UpTheIrons

You are most welcome! Someone once said something about "eternal vigilance." With the Brady Bunch, we've always got to be wary of what the left hand is doing when the right one is in the open.

Can anyone in Wyoming coroborate the Examiner story?

Mr.Davis
February 9, 2010, 05:57 PM
The Examiner page also links to several UFO stories...although it seems they're reporting on a specific report from a real person, I find it hard to take them seriously because of their tin-foil hat affiliations.

chevyforlife21
February 9, 2010, 06:00 PM
i always thought they were anti gun being from L.A

UpTheIrons
February 9, 2010, 06:07 PM
The Examiner page also links to several UFO stories...although it seems they're reporting on a specific report from a real person, I find it hard to take them seriously because of their tin-foil hat affiliations.

Tin-foil hats aside, they are one of the few organizations with "broader distribution" that reports favorably on RKBA issues. I know there are others with wider distribution and a louder voice, but you've got to admit, they are outnumbered by the newsrooms controlled by the Antis. Given how I've seen the Examiner reports compared to a "mainstream" newspaper's stories on the same event, I'll pick the UFO people for truth-in-reporting every time.

And I don't even own a tin-foil hat! :D

mikeh80
February 10, 2010, 12:31 PM
Email sent, I think I'll take my wife out for a cup of coffee on Saturday.

Dave85
February 10, 2010, 03:33 PM
Grateful and congratulatory email sent.

Starbucks, being a giant corporation that has grown to its current size very rapidly, has been a popular target for ignorance, and fear. This has resulted in a great number of misconceptions and urban legends casting them in a negative light.

It would be all too easy for them to have responded quickly out of fear, and, through acquiescence or a sense of corporate activism, instituted the ban as dictated by the Brady Campaign. It is a sign of good leadership that they understood the diverse environments in which their individual locations operate, and decided to remain neutral.

This is especially impressive in that, being based in Seattle, it would probably be reasonable to assume that at least some of that corporate leadership are card-carrying members of the Brady Campaign.

There is an update on that Examiner story:
Update -- A Starbucks Representative contacted me and said "there has not been any policy change and Starbucks follows the laws of the state and municipalities they are located in"

They also said "this has been a misunderstanding and apologies go out to any customers this may have inconvenienced".
Taken at face value, this would appear to lend credence to the report. It also gives the impression that they are taking a more active than passive stance on this subject. I hope this remains the case over time, and is reflected in training programs.

Of course, this could all be part of an elaborate plan by the Gray Aliens to enslave us and sell us as food to the Reptilians.

UpTheIrons
February 10, 2010, 03:39 PM
OK! Good news out of Wyoming! Now I don't have to go tin-foil hat shopping after all. :neener:

Thanks for the heads-up on the update, Dave85. I appreciate it. Looks like SB is back on the menu. I'll have to send a retraction to my retraction, now. :eek:

Dave85
February 10, 2010, 08:09 PM
In the email I sent, I promised them my business in return for their stand, and am happy to announce I have already made good. I just got back from running some errands a little while ago, and while I was out, I picked up a bag of Starbucks Breakfast Blend, a bag of Mexico Chiapas, and a venti Pike Place Roast. Supporting the Second Amendment never tasted so good!

mcdonl
February 12, 2010, 07:14 PM
I wrote:

Hello, I wanted to thank you for having the courage to stand up to the bullying attempts of the Brady Campaign to strip away our 2nd amendment rights.

I will no longer go to any other coffee establishment knowing that there is a free thinking establishment like yours available. Thank you

They responded...

Thanks for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

For Starbucks, the safety of our customers and partners is a paramount concern.* We have existing security protocols in place to handle situations related to safety in our stores.* We will continue to adhere closely to local, state and federal laws and the counsel of law enforcement regarding this issue.*
We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.*
Warm Regards,
Madeline A.
Customer Relations
Starbucks Coffee Company
800 23-LATTE (235-2883)
Monday through Friday, 5AM to 6PM (PST)

Tim the student
February 13, 2010, 01:14 PM
I got a very similar response from them. Here is what they sent me:

Thank you for your words of encouragement!

For Starbucks, the safety of our customers and partners is a paramount concern. We have existing security protocols in place to handle situations related to safety in our stores. We will continue to adhere closely to local, state and federal laws and the counsel of law enforcement regarding this issue.
We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

Warm Regards,

Samson D.

At least they are apparently reading the emails, even if it is a canned response.

rmmoore
February 14, 2010, 02:27 PM
I'm near Cheyenne, and have never had a problem with the local SB store here. Although this was reported in the Cheyenne paper, the incident occured in Casper, which is "about" 175 miles away. Casper has more than it's fair share of "liberals", so figure the odds of this happening there. In all fairness though, it pales in comparison to other towns of similar size in other parts of the country relative to its "liberalness". We have our share in Cheyenne too, but Wyoming as a whole is hands above most States in the attitude and ownership of firearms in general.

When I carry, I'm CCW'ing, so what they don't know won't hurt 'em, as they say. I haven't seen any posting of "No Firearms Allowed" in my local shop, but I will ask next time I go in.

sonick808
February 14, 2010, 09:19 PM
i sent starbucks a message via their contact form also; thanking them for taking the side of common sense as far as historical record (bill of rights) indicates. I also told them i prefer to sit and chat where i feel safe, versus somewhere i am exposed without means of protection.

SpecialKalltheway
February 14, 2010, 10:36 PM
I sent an email thanking them and telling them that reading about this made up my mind to buy my girl a 50 dollar gift card for valentines day.

W.E.G.
February 14, 2010, 10:44 PM
(reply from Starbucks)

For Starbucks, the safety of our customers and partners is a paramount concern. We have existing security protocols in place to handle situations related to safety in our stores. We will continue to adhere closely to local, state and federal laws and the counsel of law enforcement regarding this issue.

Warm Regards,

Madeline A.
Customer Relations
Starbucks Coffee Company
800 23-LATTE (235-2883)

----Original Message----
Sent: Feb 4 2010 6:47PM
To: Customer Relations
Subject: corporate social responsibility

Message: re: Starbucks firearms policy I want to thank Starbucks for not prohibiting firearms in its stores. I have a concealed handgun permit issued by the Circuit Court. I am aware that certain special interest groups are badgering Starbucks to prohibit law-abiding gun owners from entering Starbucks stores. I have been a loyal Starbucks customer for years. I look forward to continuing my loyal patronage. I hope Starbucks will never step on the slippery slope of gun-control politics. =================================

wgaynor
February 15, 2010, 07:08 PM
I just received my reply email from starbucks and it was the exact same response as W.E.G's. At least they are getting positive feedback from this.

hot2trot
February 15, 2010, 09:39 PM
Guess we can still get our lattes with a clear conscience.

Ashcons
February 16, 2010, 08:28 PM
Got the same response, but from Samson D. Coming from Seattle, I never had an issue with them anyway since I stick to drip (or Americana if I'm in the mood for something fancy). Glad they can get some positive feedback from this :)

Prince Yamato
February 17, 2010, 01:59 AM
Go Starbucks! I'll be calling them in the morning, giving them my support!

djm3808
February 17, 2010, 09:47 PM
My e-mail to Starbucks:

Thank you refusing the demands of the Brady Campaign and for taking the proper stance regarding display of firearms at your retail stores. You have just earned a new customer.

Starbucks reply:

Hello Daniel,

Thanks so much for contacting us and taking the time to share your thoughts.

I sincerely appreciate your comments and hope you will continue to enjoy Starbucks coffee.

Sincerely,

Alyssa R.

Customer Relations

Starbucks Coffee Company

800 23-LATTE (235-2883)

I think I'm going to drink Starbucks coffee.

TedP
February 18, 2010, 07:14 PM
This proves to me that they are taking note of these emails.. The canned responses mean they probably have their customer service (call center) agents getting emails between calls. The canned responses are there to help speed things up. This means these emails are likely able to be reported on (put down the foil hat). Starbucks knows how many of these they are getting and they are seeing first-hand the results of their stance.

I drive by them often. The wife loves them. It might be time to make a habit of stopping. Make us both happy now.

Dirkofthedesert
February 18, 2010, 08:36 PM
Well, I sent off an e-mail to Starbucks before I left the office and by the time I got home I had a reply from "Shy S" in customer relations. Interesting thing was I got the impression it was a "canned response". More interesting is that it really could be sent to the "I have no sense of history (Brady) crowd" as well as to sensible folks like us. Here it is:

Hello,

For Starbucks, the safety of our customers and partners is a paramount concern. We will continue to adhere closely to local, state and federal laws and the counsel of law enforcement regarding this issue. We have existing security protocols in place to handle situations related to safety in our stores.

Warm Regards,

Shy S.

Customer Relations
Starbucks Coffee Company
800 23-LATTE (235-2883)

Caliper_RWVA
February 21, 2010, 11:42 AM
Hello,

For Starbucks, the safety of our customers and partners is a paramount concern. We will continue to adhere closely to local, state and federal laws and the counsel of law enforcement regarding this issue. We have existing security protocols in place to handle situations related to safety in our stores.

Warm Regards,

Yup, I got about the same thing back.

Has anyone noticed that this response could also be sent to a Pro-Brady message as well? Makes me curious, but as long as they continue their current policy I will hold them in good favor.

Nathan67
March 5, 2010, 06:59 PM
This is what I got back today.

Hello,

We recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. Advocacy groups from both sides of this issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions.

While we deeply respect the views of all our customers, Starbucks long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged. We comply with local laws and statutes in all the communities we serve. In this case, 43 of the 50 U.S. states have open carry weapon laws. Where these laws don't exist, we comply with laws that prohibit the open carrying of weapons. The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores.

At the same time, we have a security protocol for any threatening situation that might occur in our stores. Partners are trained to call law enforcement as situations arise. We will continuously review our procedures to ensure the highest safety guidelines are in place and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement.

We have examined this issue through the lens of partner (employee) and customer safety. Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position.

As the public debate continues, we are asking all interested parties to refrain from putting Starbucks or our partners into the middle of this divisive issue. As a company, we are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society. Our Starbucks family knows all too well the dangers that exist when guns are used irresponsibly and illegally. Without minimizing this unfortunate reality, we believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

Warm Regards,

Alyssa R.
Customer Relations
Starbucks Coffee Company
800 23-LATTE (235-2883)

straitnate14
March 6, 2010, 01:11 AM
I just wasted a half hour of my life on that damn brady site and I'm sick to hear the lies they put out? Has anyone in the brady bunch ever even held a gun? Shot one? I mean do they think the bad guys will just lay down there guns if there bans get passed? I for one am not looking forward to becoming a "bad guy". Anyways it makes me sick.

jfh
March 7, 2010, 10:37 PM
1. Go to the Starbuck's site, and create an account: Here (https://www.starbucks.com/login/SignIn.aspx)is a link to a page for creating an account.

2. Go to their forums, and locate the topic "Social Responsibiity."

Select it, and scroll through comments as needed to get to one of the "no guns" postings.

3. Simply vote "thumbs down" on any of the antigun posts.

IMO--at this point in this action by the Brady Bunch, we need to show disapproval of these posters' antigun statements more than we need to argue the merits of their demand. Starbucks is already taking a neutral stance, so we can show support for that stance by disapproving of the antigun stance.

We don't need to bring the anti / pro discussion onto their site.

Have at it, gang.

Jim H.

LouisCipher777
March 7, 2010, 11:10 PM
I've been arguing with these idiots on the Starbucks fan page on facebook for days.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=22092443056&topic=15668
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=22092443056&topic=15694
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=22092443056&topic=15712
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=22092443056&topic=15286

maybe some love from yall would do a better job of tilting the argument our way.

Oncebitten
March 10, 2010, 04:46 PM
I wish the Starbucks in my area served their lunch sandwiches. I'd love to give them some business because of this, but I don't drink coffee nor eat pastry-type items.

Prophet
March 10, 2010, 05:53 PM
If you have a facebook, make sure to go to Starbucks and post a thank-you on their wall. You should have seen it when media scrutiny was at it's peak. There is also a group called "I support Starbucks for recognizing the right to defend myself" you can join.

I'll be stopping into the local establishment tomorrow, buy something and let them know why I am. Starbucks needs to be fully aware that their position will not hurt their business but help it.

Carl N. Brown
March 10, 2010, 06:57 PM
I know the open carry is a California thing, but

How successful was the Brady Campaign campaign against the "Gunshine State" of Florida (Brady operatives at airports passing out warning fliers to tourists about the dangers of the "Shoot the Avon Lady" law)?

w_houle
March 10, 2010, 07:34 PM
Brady Campaign attacking Starbucks
At least they aren't armed?
:p

If you enjoyed reading about "Brady Campaign attacking Starbucks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!