S&W 4506....can it shoot 45 Super just replacing the recoil springs??

PDA

saturno_v
February 5, 2010, 02:07 PM
This is what I heard....is it true?? And if yes, what spring rating in lb would be appropriate???
Would the gun suffer increased wear compared to firing just 45 ACP use even when using stiffer springs??

Regards

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 4506....can it shoot 45 Super just replacing the recoil springs??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
February 5, 2010, 07:14 PM
Click here and scroll down for S&W pistols (http://www.acecustom45s.com/gunsmith.htm)

saturno_v
February 5, 2010, 09:10 PM
Thank you

I thought it was as simple as replacing the recoil spring...seems a bit more complicated (and spendy) than that.

MachIVshooter
February 6, 2010, 12:59 PM
The 4506 (especially the 4506-1) is about the most robust combat .45 ever made. The gun can handle it with just the recoil spring. But if it's going to be a dedicated .45 Super, I would buy their kit. The buffer will help prevent frame battering, the other mods are just for reliability. Stock extractor and mag springs may be too weak for ideal reliability with the much more violent .45 Super; they're intended to prevent failure to extract and allow the rounds to feed from the magazine with sufficient speed under the much faster slide cycling that the super cartridge and heavier recoil spring will induce.

The Lone Haranguer
February 6, 2010, 02:03 PM
^^^ Agreed.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 4506....can it shoot 45 Super just replacing the recoil springs??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!