fab.nat.d'armes de guerre herstal-belgique,, anyone have any info??

PDA

rednk
February 5, 2010, 02:33 PM
my father in law just had one of these given to him and is trying to find out information on it..what it`s worth..the serial number is 5402 and has some stamps on it,,not sure what they are..anyone have any information,,its a 30-06 caliber..

If you enjoyed reading about "fab.nat.d'armes de guerre herstal-belgique,, anyone have any info??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
February 5, 2010, 02:36 PM
Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre was a factory built to produce rifles for the Belgian government. Today it's FN or FN Herstal. Herstal is the name of the town.

They made several types of firearms, can you give us a little more info on it? Bascically all that tells is who made it.

Does it look like this? These were made in .30-06

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/FN49left.jpg

Bobarino
February 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
post a pic if you can and you'll likely have an answer in short order.

rednk
February 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
thats all the info i have..i was hopeing someone could tell me more from the serial number i cant find anything..

TexasRifleman
February 5, 2010, 02:42 PM
thats all the info i have

Bolt action? Semi auto? What do the sights look like? etc.

That factory made a lot of different things, including some Browning rifles under license.

natman
February 5, 2010, 02:45 PM
A picture would work wonders. What we have so far is like asking for detailed information on a motor vehicle based on "It's a Chevrolet" and "It has a V8".

rednk
February 5, 2010, 02:54 PM
i will try and get a pic from him and post it shortly..thats all the info i have right now,,i know its a bolt action,,30-06!

oneounceload
February 5, 2010, 04:32 PM
pics of the markings, crests/crowns, etc. also help

jimmyraythomason
February 5, 2010, 04:45 PM
Probably a Colombian or Belgium Mauser M98(M1950). My best guess. They made tons of them. possibly a Mexican M1954.

rednk
February 5, 2010, 07:53 PM
here are 2 pics if they help..

rednk
February 5, 2010, 08:06 PM
heres a couple more..

MMCSRET
February 5, 2010, 09:35 PM
Looks very much like my J.C. Higgins Model 51 in 30-06, the proof marks are the same, but mine just says FN Action-- Made in Belgium on the left rail. Solid left rail most likely not a military contract action.

Keb
February 5, 2010, 10:35 PM
It has multiple Belgian proof marks, so it was not made from a 2nd country as a military. The swirl engraving suggests it would be a commercial receiver.

The Crown over PV means Superior Nitro Proof.

rednk
February 5, 2010, 11:02 PM
anyone have any idea what it is worth..he had it given to him ,,and hes wondering!

Ron James
February 5, 2010, 11:51 PM
It looks to be in boo-tee-full condition. FN rifle made on a Belgium Mauser action. If I was selling it I would not let it go for less than 500. Only someone who has recently bought or sold one can give you a real value, but a FN Mauser Sporter is listed at 650 in 98%.{ Blue Book } BTW The Model 51 { Sears } was the same Belgium action but barreled and stocked by High Standard.

vaupet
February 7, 2010, 01:45 PM
This is a belgian made FN Mauser 98, one of the best actions for hunting rifles. Actually, Weatherby build hid rifles on this action until the Belgian production stopped.

CZ builds this action and sels it to Remington ad of today.

There are several comparable guns for sale ranging from 600 to 800 $

You can find one at the next link.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/986798594/Guns/Rifles/FNH-Fabrique-Nationale-Rifles/Bolt-action/Hunting/FN_Mauser_98_30_06_SPR.htm

Greetz

Peter

If you enjoyed reading about "fab.nat.d'armes de guerre herstal-belgique,, anyone have any info??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!