Poll for current and previous KIMBER owners only: Would you buy another Kimber?

PDA

Balrog
February 6, 2010, 01:23 PM

Please answer ONLY if you have only owned a Kimber.

If you enjoyed reading about "Poll for current and previous KIMBER owners only: Would you buy another Kimber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
February 6, 2010, 01:31 PM
Would and did.

f4t9r
February 6, 2010, 01:35 PM
Wow !!! another thread about Kimber.
I like them and mine is great & I would buy another , now let the bashing begin for the 9,987,985th time. My count may be off slightly.

Zerodefect
February 6, 2010, 01:36 PM
No.

I won't buy another Kimber or any 1911 until they:
-regain a reputation for reliability
-come with better Tripp Cobra style mags
-complete Melonite over stainless finish on everything. A $600 Glock deosn't rust, why deos a $1000-3000 1911???
- no MIM
-use a metal Mainspring housing
-improve CS

I like my custom CDPII 5", but it's obsolete.

Balrog
February 6, 2010, 01:37 PM
Wow !!! another thread about Kimber.
I like them and mine is great & I would buy another , now let the bashing begin for the 9,987,985th time. My count may be off slightly.

Its a very simple poll. It does not ask a leading question, just a simple yes or no on whether or not people who have owned Kimbers would buy another. Why do you think it is bashing?

f4t9r
February 6, 2010, 01:53 PM
Why do you think it is bashing?

I think that is what it will become. Just like many other threads about Kimber.
I understand the question and answered. I am just making a prediction. Many simple threads turn into something else.
I will make another for you: Saints find a way to win !!
(not that I care all that much)

Balrog
February 6, 2010, 01:55 PM
Maybe it will become a bashing thread, no way to tell. But I think the poll answer will tell us whether the bashing is deserved or not.

wally
February 6, 2010, 02:31 PM
I think the price has gone up way too much. Can't see myself ever buying another at current prices.

--wally.

WoofersInc
February 6, 2010, 02:46 PM
I have several of them and would buy more. I keep looking at the Grand Raptor.

RH45
February 6, 2010, 02:50 PM
Even though I voted no, that was referring to buying a NEW Kimber. If I ran across an older one, at the right price, I might.

forindooruseonly
February 6, 2010, 04:29 PM
No. Not for the same reasons as anyone else, though. I've had three, a Royal II, I think was the name, one of their high cap ones and the 22 version. I didn't like the polymer frame on the high cap, the 22 was way too light, making it feel totally different from a .45 1911, and I hated the horrible finish on the Royal one.

All three functioned great, though, and the .45s were accurate out of the box with good triggers.

I guess my gripe is mainly about the finish on the Kimbers. I just absolutely did not like the blue they use on their guns, I also dislike front serrations and so on and so forth. So in the end I don't hate or bash Kimbers, I recommend them regularly to friends who don't have the same hang ups as I do. I just wont buy another.

Rexster
February 6, 2010, 05:47 PM
No. I expect a gun to work, as issued by the factory. I don't want projects, that require me to remove defective parts, and replace them with parts that work. I am not going to re-type my post from the other thread running right now.

03Shadowbob
February 6, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hopefully a lot of people will stop buying them so they might become more affordable so I can buy more of them. Mine has been 100%

Balrog
February 6, 2010, 07:39 PM
It would appear that less than 50% of Kimber owners would agree with you, shadowbob.

Eightball
February 6, 2010, 09:04 PM
Mine's been flawless, but then again I'm running a 5" version. The 4" and 3" have been known to have reliability issues (which don't seem to come up as often for Commanders with a bushing, rather than a bull barrel, oddly enough). Their finishes vary wildly from item to item, and some seem chintzy, some seem alright. They pack a ton of features and performance into one for the price. While I would have no problem buying another one, I'm not "brand loyal," and have very specific applications and roles to fill for each additional firearm I buy; if a Kimber fills my next 1911 need, then a Kimber it'll be, and if it's not, no big deal.

To each their own, but mine's been great.

txgolfer45
February 6, 2010, 09:06 PM
While i would buy another Kimber, there are others that are on my wish list ahead of another Kimber.

Wish list includes

Wilson Combat CQB
Ed Brown Special Forces
Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special
Springfield Professional

StorkPatrol
February 6, 2010, 10:19 PM
Good poll, man. It's looking real close to 50-50. I'm interested to see how this will play out.

I voted No. Mine never was reliable even after a trip back to Kimber and a visit to a third-party 1911 smith.

--Stork

rklessdriver
February 6, 2010, 10:44 PM
My TAC Pro II took 3 trips back to their service dept and still FTE at least once per mag.... I'm thinking no.
Will

Zerodefect
February 6, 2010, 11:10 PM
50/50 is really bad though. Don't belive me, start a "would you but another Glock" poll.

Ridgerunner665
February 6, 2010, 11:14 PM
I voted NO!

I've had 4, all were junk.

StorkPatrol
February 6, 2010, 11:55 PM
Zerodefect 50/50 is really bad though. Don't belive me, start a "would you but another Glock" poll.

Sheesh...I'm not even a Glock guy, and I know it would have 90+% YES replies.
--Stork

silversport
February 6, 2010, 11:59 PM
if it were as reliable and well built as my 2002 Custom II, yes...
Bill

HorseSoldier
February 7, 2010, 12:12 AM
I've owned two Kimbers along the way -- Warrior and a Tac Pro -- and both worked fine. Zero drama, good reliability, nothing to complain about. Both mine pre-date some of the latest criticisms of Kimber like Hilton Yam's no-go'ing them on the 10-8 forum, so thing may have changed for the worse, but I'd give another Kimber a shot if I were in the market for a new production 1911.

JellyJar
February 7, 2010, 12:31 AM
I had one of their compact 1911s in 40 S&W. I believe it was a CDPII. The mags were crap and there were no after market mags available.

The follower would jump around the slide stop because it had so much room in the mag. Also the bases were welded shut so you could not change out the follower even if you could find any.

Could not get my money back.

StrikeFire83
February 7, 2010, 02:54 AM
NOPE.

Kimber Custom II bought in 2005 was a $650 piece of junk. Bought the thing because I had a hankering for a 1911 and a 45. All i wanted the thing to do was put FMJ ball ammo downrange reliably. Two trips to Kimber later, paid shipping on the 1st one, and the thing still wasn't reliable.

Disclosed the problem and sold the gun at a pretty big loss. Put me off Kimber forever, and 1911 for the time being.

2RCO
February 7, 2010, 03:36 AM
Other than one broken disconnector I've had good luck with my Kimbers. Any gun can fail and there are a helluva a lot of Kimbers out there so there are bound to be some problems occur.

That being said I have a 1918 production GI issue Colt that was an Augusta Arsenal rework that has never failed once in the 10 years I've owned and shot it. Don't know if my kimbers will have that kind or reliability when they are 90+ years old. Maybe if I ever have grandkids can find out or if I make 120 and am still shooting I'll let you all know!

Raleigh

CZ223
February 7, 2010, 07:08 AM
I might buy a used one if the price were right. I bought a slightly used Tac Pro II for a bargain basement price and it would not fire a full mag of ammo, any ammo, without jambing. A trip to a competent gunsmith fixed that and I now have reliable lightweight 1911. The finish on these is less than stellar. Everyone I have seen had the finish on the safety flake off. Mine is not nearly as accurate as either of my Taurus 1911's though it is certainly accurate enough for a defensive weapon. Had I paid more than $1100 for my gun new I would have been severely ticked off. As it was I suspected I would have problems but I also knew a good gunsmith and it cost me $50 to get it running right. The sad part is that most of the problems have to do with the extractor not being tuned properly at the factory. If Taurus can do this on a $600 dollar gun why cant Kimber do it on an $1100 gun?

230therapy
February 7, 2010, 08:26 AM
Not only "NO", but "HELL NO!!!"

While they did replace my defective gun with another, the replacement was defective too! Both were total jam-o-matics with the same quality control problems and the terrible external extractor. The custom shop promised that they'd fix the replacement; they did nothing to it that I could see.

DeepSouth
February 7, 2010, 08:37 AM
I always tell people they are "Hit or Miss." This poll seem to be bearing that out.

The Bushmaster
February 7, 2010, 11:03 AM
I carry a Kimber UCC II. I would buy another kimber without any quawms. I've ran over 3,000 round through mine without any malfuctions except those that were contributed to my reloads or choice of powder...And that was during the 250 round breakin/certification. After the first 250 round there have been no malfuctions what so ever. And then I only had 7 failures and 4 of these were caused by the powder I was using...

Kevinch
February 7, 2010, 11:27 AM

Current owner, would again, & have - 3 times now :)
When something works, ne need to change...

fedlaw
February 7, 2010, 11:47 AM
I had a Kimber Stainless Target IIe. Accurate, not reliable, difficult to shoot thumbs forward, and the II safety made it difficult to reassemble the slide after detail stripping.
Last year I bought a Kimber Target Match. It is very accurate, 100% reliable, easy to shoot thumbs forward, and a breeze to detail strip, clean and reassemble. This has become my favorite pistol.
Would I consider buying another Kimber. Probably not. The next pistol purchase will be either another Smith 625 or a Les Baer.

HexHead
February 7, 2010, 11:58 AM
I had two, a Pro Carry II and a Royal II. Both were reliable guns. But I won't buy another Kimber with a Swartz safety. I don't like having to be careful when putting the slide on not to depress the grip safety. Or having to use a tool to field strip them. Of the big 3, Kimber, SA & Colt, only Colt for me going forward.

44sixgun
February 7, 2010, 12:03 PM
I bought a simple Kimber Custom II and it was used on GB. When I got it, I took it straight to the range. The accuracy was great even at 100 yards it wasnt bad. To answer the underlying question, Yes I would buy another.

SOUTHPAW
February 7, 2010, 12:05 PM
My first gun was a Ultra Carry II. I had about 10 malfunctions/ every 500 rounds fired. Put about 1000 rounds through it just to see if it was a break in issue and it still kept jamming/FTE. I'm sure Kimber would have figured it out if I sent it back but I just sold it instead.

The only way I'd buy another Kimber is if a close friend was selling one used that had a reliable record...

Mags
February 7, 2010, 12:20 PM
the terrible external extractor Poor Kimber, just so you folks know current production models do not have the external extractor for like 5 years get with the times.

Here is the order of my 1911 purchases while searching for my perfect pair of a commander and goverment sized set. First I bought a used Custom II I didn't like the non front strap checkering but loved everything else, while owning the custom II I bought a new SA loaded and new Para GI expert same drawback for the SA that the Kimber had and the Para was complete garbage. The SA needed about 7-800 rounds before it would act right. I sold all three of the previous mentioned guns and bought a used Kimber Tactical Custom II and love it, it is all I have hoped for in a goverment model. Then I obtained a used Sig GSR and 1973 Colt commander. The Sig was functional but ugly as hell the Colt had a cracked steel frame. Sold them both and bought a new Kimber Pro TLE the pro is all I hoped and dreamed it would be. Kimber has a customer for life with me they make what I want and it works withour breaking. So out of 4 manufacturers including the esteemed Colt which is the only one with a major malfunction the Kimber stands on top in features and reliability for me.

By the way almost all sub 2k stock 1911 mags are junk, I always discard my mags included with the gun and buy Nighthawk mags which are my favorite or Wilson mags. But surprisingly thge Para mags were actually pretty good.

Here is a link to my range report on the Tactical Custom, I will post one on my TLE Pro soon as I just returned from the range with it. Link (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=460133)

EddieNFL
February 7, 2010, 01:14 PM
Poor Kimber, just so you folks know current production models do not have the external extractor for like 5 years get with the times.

Now if they could learn to properly tension an internal extractor.

KenW.
February 7, 2010, 01:50 PM
I absolutely will!!!;)

gglass
February 7, 2010, 02:04 PM
If your Kimber is working fine, then you will love Kimbers. If you ever have a problem and need customer service, then you will hate Kimbers.

The above statement does not apply to LE or government contracts. Agencies and LE armorers get white-glove treatment.

gunnie
February 7, 2010, 02:58 PM
..."If your Kimber is working fine, then you will love Kimbers. If you ever have a problem and need customer service, then you will hate Kimbers."...

true, but i would suspect those willing to type-down a problem weapon to be more likely to spend the time to post. even so, current percentages look dismal.

own/have owned 3 that worked fine after break-in without parts swapping. i will not buy another firing pin safety model, but had one that worked fine after ramp of the detent in the slide smoothed out. (hand filed by me)

mine is mostly a reassembly beef, unrequired complications that would be an issue under field conditions, especially a frame strip.

voted yes.

gunnie

Man With A Gun
February 7, 2010, 03:08 PM
Expensive, poor quality for the money, lousy customer service and the company did not admit the problems they knew the weapons had and did not cover them for the customers as warranty items.

UNLESS things have changed, NO WAY.

gunnie
February 7, 2010, 03:09 PM
largely different results from the other current THR Kimber poll.

gunnie

Balrog
February 7, 2010, 07:35 PM
Actually, the other Kimber poll is fairly similar. The wording of the other poll makes it more difficult to interpret. In the other poll, it would appear that about 44% of people who have actually owned a Kimber would buy another one. Some of the choices in that other poll make the numbers to interpret, because they are based on opinions of people who have never actually owned a Kimber.

Kimber is doing a little better in my poll, but still only about half of Kimber owners would buy another. I wish Kimber would pay attention to this. If only half of your customers would do business with you again, you have some problems.

I did a similar poll for Glock to use in comparision, and 80 to 85% of Glock owners would buy another Glock.

wilkersk
February 7, 2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I'd buy another one. Got such a good deal on my Kimber Stainless II, that If some "don't-want-er" made me a good deal on a Raptor or similiar, I'd pick it up.

My Stainless II, with Wilson Combat 8rd mags, has never had an FTF, except the time I was experimenting with some XTP handloads, and that was my fault.

It eats factory JHP, FMJs and all my reloads, no problem. And, I am as accurate with my Kimber as I have been with any other pistol, except my High Standard Supermatic Trophy (which is the most amazing little pistol I've ever shot).

But, I'm not paying retail for any guns right now. There's too many good deals out there. And, what I'm really holding out for is a barely used S&W 625JM that someone needs to unload in order to pay the mortgage or such.

MICHAEL T
February 7, 2010, 07:54 PM
Traded Colt for new Eclipse Was a terrible mistake and traded back up to a Colt.

BlayGlock
February 7, 2010, 07:56 PM
I did own one and I will not own another. I really do not want to start a bashing thread but I do want to give my reasons. Actually this guy summed it up best:

Expensive, poor quality for the money, lousy customer service and the company did not admit the problems they knew the weapons had and did not cover them for the customers as warranty items.

In addition, the only have a 1 year warranty on thier firearms (at least when I owended mine). That should have been my first warning.

Sapper771
February 7, 2010, 08:22 PM
Absolutely Not.

Browns Fan
February 7, 2010, 10:55 PM
Quote:
"Wow !!! another thread about Kimber."

My thoughts exactly; I voted no.

majohnson
February 7, 2010, 11:23 PM
I switch off my CCW time between my 2 Kimbers and HK CT, HK45. I would bet my life on any of them.

Magnumite
February 8, 2010, 08:38 AM
"I like my custom CDPII 5", but it's obsolete. "

How can it be obsolete? Same as most of what they are producing now but with different aesthetics.

Zerodefect
February 8, 2010, 10:35 AM
It's completely obsolete.

Comparing my 1911 to my Glock or M&P is like comparing an Iron sighted M1garand to a M16 with an Aimpoint or ACOG.

-My Kimber rusts, my Glock/M&P deosn't.
-Its slow and heavy to draw, the multiple safeties slow it way down.
-Grip deosn't feel right with a combat grip style. Too loose around the back strap. The Glock is as simple as draw and shoot, no worries about flicking off the safety or having my hand in exactly the right spot to actuate the grip safety.
-not really all that reliable.
-1911's have poorly desighned mags with a floaty top round that nosedives. Modern gun have all the rounds in the mag parallel to each other .

My Glock 23 (modified trigger and other assorted upgrades, its an $850 Glock.) runs circles around my kimber CDP. This may have been cutting edge tech 50years ago.... but today there's plain better moustraps.

I'd happily trade my CDP for a G21 with a few mags.

ichiban
February 8, 2010, 10:42 AM
I have four that have been flawless. One is my carry gun. Two are 9mm, which I tend to shoot more just because of ammo prices.

SSN Vet
February 8, 2010, 11:23 AM
Wow... 68 yes and 59 no

not good stats for Kimber....

and that's pretty much why I couldn't risk dropping a bill on one.

Jonah71
February 8, 2010, 12:25 PM
I'll vote as soon as I've put more rounds through it. But I have an older, less expensive Kimber Pro BP 10 .45 cal. If it's not worth $500, I'll accept the fact I got screwed. If I like it, I'll likely by another Kimber eventually.

HDStreet
February 8, 2010, 12:48 PM
I traded a Glock 21 for my Kimber Custom. I wish I had the Glock back, but wouldn't trade the Kimber back. It's a good piece. I had to polish the ramp to prevent some feed problems, but it's been great ever since. It rides in my truck with me every where I go!

"But as long as the nation is obsessed with historic milestones, is no one going to remark on what a great country it is where a mentally retarded woman can become speaker of the house?"

Autolycus
February 8, 2010, 02:34 PM
I had a Tactical Custom model. It was great but so many plastic parts. I would much rather get a Colt.

harmon rabb
February 8, 2010, 03:34 PM
freakin lulz at the difference between this and the glock thread. LMAO.

Mags
February 8, 2010, 03:36 PM
It was great but so many plastic parts.
Yet another thing Kimber has changed in it's current lineup. No more plastic parts or external extractors. Maybe Kimber has listened to past customer complaints and made changes but given alot of the input in this thread past Kimber owners haven't seen or held a new production Kimber and are judging the mistakes Kimber has learned from.

Magnumite
February 9, 2010, 12:48 AM
So now we need a parallel double stacked, plastic pistol without safeties to train through to be not obsolete? The fastest shooters in the world use 1911's. Elite response groups use the 1911. They must old obsolete tacticians. If you're slower with the 1911 than the Glock you need to practice with it more. If the top round nose dives you've got weak mag springs or a high feed ramp.

"-My Kimber rusts, my Glock/M&P deosn't." Wipe it down or have it special finished.

"-Its slow and heavy to draw, the multiple safeties slow it way down." Lift weights and practice dry fire draws. There is only one safety to operate. The other works when you grasp the pistol.

"-Grip deosn't feel right with a combat grip style. Too loose around the back strap. The Glock is as simple as draw and shoot, no worries about flicking off the safety or having my hand in exactly the right spot to actuate the grip safety. "That's your call, not all hands are same and you prefer the point and pull, personal preference. That's cool.

"-not really all that reliable." Probably is related to the nosedives. Weak mag springs...they are the 8 round shooting star mags? Maybe too high a feedramp. Did you contact Kimber? But then, the Glock does have a rep for being reliable.

"-1911's have poorly desighned mags with a floaty top round that nosedives. Modern gun have all the rounds in the mag parallel to each other." The way the rounds stack in a magazine has to do with the round's configuration, not just the mag design. Additionally you are comparing a single stack with a double stack magazine.

Largely what you state is preference based on your observations of your sample. That's your choice. But too many find the 1911's features advantageous for it to be obsolete. Kimber produces alot of guns...QC slipped. You got one what was "statistically out of the norm".

Either way, you have two nice pistols. Get the Kimber going,,,too nice a gun not to shoot.

w_houle
February 9, 2010, 07:00 AM
Kimber Custom II bought in 1999 was great. It was bought before I knew about gun forums, but still didn't like the plastic MSH, but at least it didn't lock like the SA I traded it for did:rolleyes:

joe_security
February 9, 2010, 08:38 AM
Kimber satisfaction runs 50/50. Why take a chance on getting a lemon ? I would rather save my nickels and go DW, EB, LB or an old Colt. Much less chance of having to deal with the dreaded Dennis at Kimber. Heck , give me a mil spec Rock Island ! It would probably work well out of the box. After firing a 1911, my Glock felt like a 2by4.

gordy
February 9, 2010, 10:43 AM
Ive have 3 1911 colts and they work, would I depend on them? NO, I have owned one kimber and shot many at the range I belong to. It seems that if you buy a $2,500 kimber they work. If you buy any other one they are a pile of ****. I sold mine and bought a revolver. it works.

swinokur
February 9, 2010, 01:17 PM
Custom TLE/RL II Perfect. I'd buy another of the same model in SS.

230therapy
February 9, 2010, 01:29 PM
Kimber lost my business NOT because of the mechanical problems, but because they did not follow through with their promises to me. All they had to do was follow through with the promised modifications. They did nothing and instead pulled a gun off the shelf and sent it to me.

mcdonl
February 9, 2010, 01:43 PM
Fascinating thread. Just goes to show you, it doesn't matter what the gun is you will never get much better then a 50-60% satisfaction.

EddieNFL
February 9, 2010, 01:50 PM
Glock is running close to 80 percent. Lower than I expected.

This poll is a lot lower than I expected. I would have predicted about 30-35 percent negative responses.

Mags
February 10, 2010, 09:06 PM
Gordy, what are you talking about? It seems that if you buy a $2,500 kimber they work. If you buy any other one they are a pile of ****. I sold mine and bought a revolver. it works. All my Kimbers have been sub 1k and have worked flawlessly. :)

Balrog
February 10, 2010, 09:52 PM
I have owned several Kimbers over the years, none ever worked 100 percent for me.

Mags
February 10, 2010, 10:48 PM
Well everyone is welcome to come by and shoot my stock Kimbers, just bring your own ammo. No reloads please.

Zerodefect
February 10, 2010, 11:59 PM
The Glock thread is a bit off, the pole deosn't account for those that have a dozen Glocks. You only get to vote once. Also there are a few posts where he allready has a dozen Glocks and deosn't want more.

smoothdraw
February 11, 2010, 03:21 PM
I have my Kimbers. Still keep them and use them a lot. I already spend some money to tune them. No i will not buy one again until they improve the metallurgy or reduce their cost. For me they are very pretty from the outside ugly from the inside. I will get Colts, Dan Wesson ... and if I have money to spend Brown, Les Baer, Wilson. Springfields..same issue with Kimber.

My last 1911 was a Colt series 70 repro. Beautiful gun inside and out and shoot very well out from the box and eats ball, hallowpoint and wadcutters. Shoots my buddies Dan Wesson, shoots well out from the box and detailed stripping shows quality parts. detail strip any Kimber even the most expensive custom shop ones like my CDP, you'll see that Kimber put cheaper parts in a okay barrel, Slide and Frame. Some serious 1911 shooters change everything with their kimbers and only keep the slide and frames and sometime keep that barrel but that's about it.

smoothdraw
February 11, 2010, 03:34 PM
Yet another thing Kimber has changed in it's current lineup. No more plastic parts or external extractors. Maybe Kimber has listened to past customer complaints and made changes but given alot of the input in this thread past Kimber owners haven't seen or held a new production Kimber and are judging the mistakes Kimber has learned from.
Looking at current lineup no more external extractors. No more plastic? Kimbers mainspring housing is 100% plastic the last time i check. Even Custom Shop ones.

Ditch-Tiger
February 11, 2010, 03:41 PM
I have a Custom TLE II that feeds anything and is very accurate.
I had a BP10 that i sold to pay for another gun. no issues except cost/availability of mags, although it was not as reliable as the TLE; I guess thats to be exspected as i bought it used for under $400.00
I will buy an Eclipse pro someday.

I voted yes.

nearlynormalmike
March 11, 2010, 09:22 PM
NO !!! Will keep my Pro Carry II for now.
Plan to sell or trade Tactical Custom II for something else.

orionengnr
March 11, 2010, 09:24 PM
"If your Kimber is working fine, then you will love Kimbers. If you ever have a problem and need customer service, then you will hate Kimbers."

Hmmm...I just bought number nine. Am I beating the odds or what?

I carry one every day, shoot (at least) one every week. Does that give you any indication as to which way I voted? :rolleyes:

kanook
March 12, 2010, 08:58 AM
A Raptor in 10mm would be nice, although I think Fusion makes what I'm looking for.

My wifes wants an Eclipse Ultra carry in .40

Hokkmike
March 12, 2010, 09:55 AM
WOW! I don't own a Kimber but that is quite a few no's. Make me really hesitant to go that way....

Lv4snobrdg
March 12, 2010, 10:33 AM
WOW! I don't own a Kimber but that is quite a few no's. Make me really hesitant to go that way....I have owned a glock and an m&p and I won't be buying them again. Own two Kimbers and nothing else ATM.

ForumSurfer
March 12, 2010, 11:10 AM
I own a Pro CDP II. It is hands down the favorite handgun I own and my preferred ccw weapon. I have had zero malfunctions in 2500 rounds, except for some stock mag and bad hand load failures. I would not hesitate to buy another Kimber.

That being said, here are a few items I'd like to see addressed:

Kimber should quit making mags and outsource to Wilson Combat or someone. Kimber mags suck, period. If it is your ccw piece, throw away the stock Kimber mags right away ...preferably before you ever leave the store.
What?! Why is my mainspring housing non-metal?! I feel slightly cheated, but not so much that I wouldn't buy another Kimber.
I hear MIM parts suck, but I haven't experienced a failure on my Kimber.
I'm not a fan of full length guide rods. I'd like to be able to disassemble my Kimber without a paper clip, thank you.
All Kimber pistols, given the price should come with stainless barrels. I give mine (and all my guns) judicious cleaning and tlc often whether fired or not, so I have no rust. All the same, it would be nice just in case.

I broke the ambi safety on it, but that was my fault. I fell on concrete and landed directly on the safety. I called Kimber, ended up talking to some guy in the shop, he took my address and sent me a replacement piece free of charge even though it most definitely wasn't under warranty. It was then I discovered that I don't like ambi safeties. They add unnecessary width and just don't do anything for me. As long as my trigger finger is intact (necessary to pull the trigger anyway), I can actuate the safety with my weak hand just fine. Aside from that, I'm right handed. When practicing transitioning to my weak hand, the safety is on. In an actual defensive situation, I doubt I'd be switching hands with the safety on.

I've heard Kimbers kaboom and jam every third shot. Not true for me. I've heard they have tremendous extractor issues. Not true for me. I've heard the mags suck. They do.:barf: Yes, a glock wouldn't have broken anything when I fell on it. But this is a 1911 and what I want. I own a glock, too for the record. Sigs, Glocks, S&W's, Berettas and whatever weapon of choice you say all come with mags that work. Again, I don't care because I wanted a reliable 1911 for ccw. I knew going in that the kimber mags suck.

Many people wouldn't pay over $700 for a gun that came with lousy mags. I agree that it is frustrating. :cuss: But it would not stop me from buying another Kimber, nor am I disappointed. Rationally, I can understand that. But if I rationalized all of my firearm purchases, my collection wouldn't be quite so varied.

ForumSurfer
March 12, 2010, 11:15 AM
WOW! I don't own a Kimber but that is quite a few no's. Make me really hesitant to go that way....

It's the internet, that's how it goes. Take it all with a grain of salt, brother. :scrutiny:

Coincidentally, go surf the GlockTalk forums where guys complain about their Glock issues to fellow Glock lovers. You'll see enough complaints there that you would think Glocks are unreliable.

People love to bash Glocks, Kimbers, XD's or 1911's in general for whatever reason.:rolleyes:

If you want a pistol no one bashes on the forums, get a CZ.:cool:

Maybe all Kimbers suck and I got the one good apple. :neener:

gunnie
March 12, 2010, 12:30 PM
those who have had reliability and or service issues with their 1911's will have a strong driving force to alert others. (pls see: culo rojo) whether to protect fellow consumers from the same pratfall, or to "get even" with the mfgr is open to debate.

those who spent more than the average 1911 runs for a brand that ends up working well for them will have a strong driving force to prove their extra investment of american inflationary notes was not folly. (pls see: boastum maximus) whether this is leading others to a superior maker, or playing show and tell with their classmates is open to debate.

the onliest info i could place much stock in would be a statistical finding that included:

1...how many were made in THAT model, and the percentage of those that required repair, after it was determined absolutely that their problem was not in fact, THEIR problem. this would have to include private smiths, and factory repair centers. (even this would not stand a chance of including the ones that were deemed unworthy, and offed by private sale to another by the original owner.)

2...the flavors of ammo and magazines used to determine those findings.

3...a postmortem investigation to determine the level of lubrication and cleaning methods the weapon had gotten. a thorough check for evidence of internal and or external abuse.

4...at least, an approximate total of rounds that were fired in the weapon before it was deemed as unsuitable.

i doubt i will see these findings published in the future, but would find room in my wallet to purchase same.

that said, i previously stated that i would buy (some) kimbers again.

just to prove this is not driven by brand loyalty, other makers also.

and to further the just cause of thread perversion, some of the kimber mfgd glocks i used to own....

:-)

come on kids, which of the first two paragraphs best define the driving force that compels you to jump into the middle of a non-related thread with your output?

er, i mean, input?

gunnie

Hokkmike
March 12, 2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:

It's the internet, that's how it goes. Take it all with a grain of salt, brother.

Coincidentally, go surf the GlockTalk forums where guys complain about their Glock issues to fellow Glock lovers. You'll see enough complaints there that you would think Glocks are unreliable.

People love to bash Glocks, Kimbers, XD's or 1911's in general for whatever reason.

If you want a pistol no one bashes on the forums, get a CZ.

Maybe all Kimbers suck and I got the one good apple.

Gotcha about the internet. Fact is I just put my handgun investment into a Walther PPS.

ForumSurfer
March 12, 2010, 01:46 PM
Fact is I just put my handgun investment into a Walther PPS

Feel free to drop me a message and let me know how you like it. I've been contemplating one of those. I'm a slim guy, so I don't care to wear anything too baggy. It's hard for me to conceal anything as thicker than 1911 (in reference to the grip). I've tried carrying glocks. They work, but eventually they start printing once I move around alot. If I started buying all of my pants +2" and carrying iwb, things would be different. That isn't a sacrifice I want to make. I like my pants to fit. The pps seems like a good compromise and that it would be very unnoticeable in a high ride owb holster.

Sweet purchase...I'm having wather envy! :o

tkkr
March 12, 2010, 02:36 PM
Never again.

Rollis R. Karvellis
March 12, 2010, 06:08 PM
Cant't add much, I, like mine, and will by more if the money ever comes back.

orionhawk
March 12, 2010, 07:50 PM
I clicked "Yes", but it's really more "maybe...". They are decent 1911's imho, but a bit tight for my liking, compared to my Springfields. My father also had one turn unreliable. And I don't like their normal grip safeties (I realise that's correctable). I'd be willing to get another, if I got a good deal on it.

And I, for one, am perfectly willing to bash a CZ. I had one that just flat didn't work.

KenW.
March 12, 2010, 08:22 PM
Ill trade you two xds for any kimb
er with a rail.

Joshua M.
March 12, 2010, 08:55 PM
Yup...well probably would buy another, but don't need one cause I have one that I love, and shouldn't ever have to replace it.Love my Ultra CDPII, and it has worked flawlessly, granted I haven't shot a bajillion rounds through it like most experts, but I am comfortable enough with it after 500+ rnds....my .02 worth

EddieNFL
March 12, 2010, 09:06 PM
It's the internet, that's how it goes. Take it all with a grain of salt, brother.

Definitely a truism of life. There are those who have a problem, however minor and rail on forever. Others have problems, but refuse to admit they might have made a less than worthy investment.

Hawaiian
March 12, 2010, 09:41 PM
I would not buy a car or a washing machine that had this high a % of dissatisfied owners, much less a firearm that I might need to rely on to save the life of my family. I understand the internet hype on both sides. However there are other brands that have a much higher owner satisfaction rating.

smoothdraw
March 13, 2010, 05:50 PM
Kimbers are reliable and accurate weapons. My HD and my EDC are Kimbers. But the reason why i will not buy any kimbers anymore is because they keep on using MIM parts and plastic mainspring housing and ask a lot of money for their guns. Same with HK which i have last year. There are more good value 1911's there like Dan Wesson which do not use MIM parts and almost same price as kimbers. Colts the same, their 1911's now have few MIM parts unlike Kimber that are 100% of internals at least my pro carry 2 and TLE/RL2 are concerned.

So why not HK? Because you can have Smith and wesson M&P and Glocks at $500's new and they are as capable and use maybe even better parts than HK or maybe equal. And after you watch Magpul's Dynamic Handgun then you'll love striker fired M&P and Glock. You manipulate them similar to your AR15.

But of course i respect other people and if they so like Kimbers and HK then go for it. I was one of them when i started (maybe i've seen too many ads of kimber and Hk). Freedom of choice is good and either Kimber or HK are very capable weapon.

2ndamd
March 14, 2010, 03:34 PM
Never again.

EddieNFL
March 14, 2010, 04:17 PM
Kimbers are reliable and accurate weapons.

Haven't seen an inaccurate one, yet. Reliable is a different story.

wormserco
March 14, 2010, 04:22 PM
Would and did :). I just added a TLE II to my Pro Carry II, Stainless II and Stainless Compact.

Krusty
March 14, 2010, 04:29 PM
Yes. Owned several and only prob I ever had was those Mattel mags they give you. I had one of the early Custom compacts that went to my son-in-law 6 years ago [I had it 5 years]. It still runs like a top. :neener:

Airman193SOS
March 14, 2010, 05:14 PM
I'd buy one in a second. It's an even easier choice for me because I have sufficient handguns to cover myself if something went wrong with it while I worked on the problem.

I would never discount other peoples' experiences with bad Kimbers, but my Kimber has done very well indeed and I trust it without reservation. It's amazing how a single good or bad experience can polarize people so much. Then again, when you buy something you intend to trust your life to and it doesn't work the first time, every time, it's easy to see why that is.

Browns Fan
March 14, 2010, 05:14 PM
In all fairness, even though my Ultra Carry was unreliable, it was remarkably accurate. It was the only handgun with a 3" brl I could consistently make headshots with at 50 yds.

But, in my humble opinion, reliability IS job 1! I still wouldnt buy another.

Casefull
March 14, 2010, 11:42 PM
I have 2. Best pistols I have except for the 454 casull which is in a class by itself as far as fit and function are concerned.

PowerG
March 15, 2010, 08:35 PM
I have an old Custom Compact, one of the best handguns I've ever owned. Due to all the negative posts about Kimber I'd be hesitant, but yeah I'd probably go for another one if the price was right.

If you enjoyed reading about "Poll for current and previous KIMBER owners only: Would you buy another Kimber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!