reloading 32 S & W

PDA

andy1117
February 7, 2010, 11:28 AM
I need reloading information for 85 grain LRN with Unique powder for the 32 Smith & Wesson. Having trouble finding anywhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading 32 S & W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
February 7, 2010, 12:51 PM
The RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1:

3.4 to 3.9 grs Unique with a 77 Gr LRN. It will be a bit too much.

3.1 to 3.5 grs Unique with a 98 Gr lead bullet of similar profile to yours. It should be fine to use.

I'll just betcha the Lyman #49 has some data. It would be a great purchase for you. It is very highly thought of. I had an older Lyman, but I am not quite sure where it is. :o

Welcome to THR

MMCSRET
February 7, 2010, 02:08 PM
I load and shoot a lot of the 32 S&W, unique is a little slower than optimum for the little cartridge and its low pressure. I load 1.8 gr. of AA#2 or 1.5 gr. of Trail Boss with the 85 gr. cast soft Lyman 313249. I'm shooting mine in solid frame Colts and S&W revolvers, I'm not sure if these loads would be OK in top break guns.
I have also had good luck with 1.5 gr. of Bullseye.
Very small cartridge, very low pressure, very old guns, please be careful!!!

Walkalong
February 7, 2010, 03:53 PM
I am using AA #2 in it as well, but you can easily double charge a case with it. While Unique is probably not optimum (haven't tried it), it will help keep a newbie out of trouble.

I agree. Be careful. :)

420Stainless
February 7, 2010, 05:50 PM
Lyman 49 doesn't list any. Hodgdon 2009 lists only one. 85 gr. lead using 1.4 grains of 231 with Winchester brass and Winchester SLP. No min. or max. - just that load at 9,500 CUP.

James2
February 7, 2010, 09:10 PM
EDIT:

James2; the pages you show are for 32 S&W Long; the cartridge in question is 32 S&W.

Smaller and older.

OK, sorry. I hunted down my old Lyman manual from about 1958 vintage.

Here is what it had:

http://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/32_s&w.jpg

Disclaimer: Be advised that this is old data (1958), and the load given is Maximum.
CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The High Road, nor the staff of THR assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

MMCSRET
February 7, 2010, 10:23 PM
James2; the pages you show are for 32 S&W Long; the cartridge in question is 32 S&W.

Smaller and older.

Clark
February 8, 2010, 02:39 PM
CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The High Road, nor the staff of THR assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I used to buy 32s&w and 38s&w break top Iver Johnson revolvers for $35 at gun shows 10 years ago.

My grandfather had carried such a handgun in the Alaskan Gold Rush, and they were cheap to collect:)

Anyway, I put some 38 Super +P load with jacketed bullet in a 38s&w and the latch stretched. I did the same type of thing to one of my 32s&w; 4.3 gr Blue Dot, 71 gr FMJ FP, stretched latch.

I showed one of these revolvers to my father and said something about excess pressure.
I should say my father was chief engineer over 150 engineers and draftsmen for 40 years and he has dozens of gun patents, while I am just a so-so engineer.
He barked at me, "Pressure is not directly related! The force on that latch is from bullet friction in the barrel and recoil on the barrel mass."

It took me a while to get my pea brain around what he said.
I get it now.
So although the 32s&w may be the strongest case in the reloading world, I am babying the old revolvers with low friction, low recoil loads.
I find soft lead bullets or lead balls. Not jacketed or hard cast.
I use 2 gr Bullseye or 3 gr or Unique in the 38s&w.
I use 1 gr Bullseye or 1.5 gr Unique in the 32s&w.

These latches have 2-56 screws.
The eye of the latch stretches into an egg shape.
Then the break action is loose.

If you enjoyed reading about "reloading 32 S & W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!