CCW pocket or purse carry?

PDA

rocinante
February 7, 2010, 11:29 AM
I am leaning toward 5 shot 38 special over semi 380. What do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW pocket or purse carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
February 7, 2010, 12:10 PM
If you can handle the DA squeeze of the .38, I trust the round more. I have a .380, rarely carry it. I carry 9 and .38 a lot. My .38 rides in the front, right pocket of my jeans all day every day.

MICHAEL T
February 7, 2010, 07:37 PM
More rounds in a 380 flatter in pocket 280 Close in so called power I belive at SD distance not much difference with today better ammo. I can shoot my Mustang , PPK/s or Bersa a lot more accurate than my J frame.

jad0110
February 7, 2010, 07:47 PM
Well, if you can shoot both to figure out what you are best with, that'd be the best option.

If not, which feels better in your hand? I'm assuming the .38, as you mention that is the direction you are leaning in.

One thing to consider is ammo availability. All ammo is relatively scarce in my area; has been ever since BO got elected. 38 Special hollowpoint ammo can at least be found in adequate quantities, but 380 is darn near impossible to find. And when I do see it, there just isn't enough (or the seller restricts the # of boxes per customer) to test for reliability, which is critical in these little semi autos. If I were buying a tiny pocket auto, I'd probably go with a 32 ACP and shoot quality FMJ. At least ammo can be found in 32 ACP.

Doug S
February 7, 2010, 08:17 PM
I prefer the reliability and the wide variety of loadings of the revolver over the 380. I've had a couple of 380s, and none were 100%. Not to mention self-defense loadings were expensive and less to choose from

M2 Carbine
February 7, 2010, 10:50 PM
I carry a Micro Desert Eagle but if my pockets would allow it I'd carry a Crimson Trace equipped 38 Special S&W model 36 or 60.

I do a good bit of J Frame shooting out to 50 yards so I'm real comfortable with the little gun.

The MDE will also hold it's own out to 50 yards to but I like the +P 38 more than the .380.

Since you asked about purse carry also I assume you are asking for a lady.
The ladies and girls I taught to shoot all like the J Frame size revolvers and get very good with then in a short time. Not so something like a Kel Tec or Desert Eagle .380. The little .380 pistol isn't all that much fun to shoot. The larger .380's aren't bad to practice with, but as mentioned the ammo is still a problem.

S&Wfan
February 8, 2010, 12:57 AM
I carry what I shoot best . . . a J frame! 100% reliable . . . and accurate.

Standing/Unsupported . . .

at ten yards, at a 1" black square target:
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/363/363373/folders/277718/2248828Firsttarget.jpg

at twenty five yards, at a 2 1/2" black square target:
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/363/363373/folders/277718/2217494148gn.wadcutterat25yds-shootslow.jpg

ArchAngelCD
February 8, 2010, 02:51 AM
rocinante,
I carry a S&W J frame daily and feel it's a very good SD handgun. If you don't like the trigger because most SD revolvers will have a heavy trigger you can always bring it to a qualified gunsmith and have them do a trigger job.

Also, if you are going to buy a revolver may I suggest a S&W M642LS (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14792&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15704&isFirearm=Y) that's the "Lady Smith." I'm not telling you to buy it because it's a Lady Smith but because it comes from the factory with a lighter and smoother trigger. The wood grips are nice too.

Good luck finding something you like...

easyg
February 9, 2010, 04:13 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM6329.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM6334.jpg

S&Wfan
February 11, 2010, 12:13 AM
I like pocket carry much better. You can get separated from your bags . . . but having the gun in a pocket means it is always with you, no matter what may happen.

I use, and prefer, the simple $15 Uncle Mike's pocket holster to carry my S&W Airweight J-frame . . . my "always" gun. If you see me on the street, it is in my front pocket . . . but you wouldn't know it was there!

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/363/363373/folders/282194/2328567IMG0121e.jpg

Nasty
February 11, 2010, 08:38 AM
Regardless of what you carry, aren't purses a common target for street thieves?

I'm thinking I wouldn't want my wife to provide a purse snatcher with a weapon!

BossHogg
February 11, 2010, 10:10 AM
Yeah ,I like the j-frame but carry on person. The purse is mostly the target.

kludge
February 11, 2010, 10:21 AM
I carry what I shoot best . . . a J frame! 100% reliable . . . and accurate.

Standing/Unsupported . . .

at ten yards, at a 1" black square target:

Double Action?

jonboynumba1
February 11, 2010, 10:49 AM
The S&W 642 airweight .38 is one of the finest carry guns ever made...and still is! You know you have 5 shots...no jams to FTF/FTE mag seated or half dumped from getting squeazed or leaned on in your pocket kinda issues...5 rounds of +p 125gr Gold Dot HP ammo makes the whole thing ring up ONE POUND LOADED...."exactly" on my postal scale....for some reason that makes me happy...that said I don't carry one...but it's one of the best warm weather carry's I've ever seen and the few I've shot have been accurate and reliable as snot in winter.

I carry an XD9 as does my wife because we both shoot them well and have apropriate stash of hi-caps in both vehicles ect ect. (I kinda have leaned more towards .40 GLOCK's and/or 1911's in good ole .45 most of my life...but logistics are more important than calibers...and they have all been great guns. Most important thing is to find what YOU like and what YOU shoot well....as long is it's a quality firearm with appropriately chosen ammo that you have also tested in your gun you are good to go....same for carry method.

All things being even -I like a good strong side pancake holster...pocket carry and most of the guns that go in them are pretty much contact weapons of last resort that you can "maybe" get to and implement in a best case scenario...in a worst case scenario situational awareness and judgment to avoid that situation are probably more useful and realistically valuable and reliable than a pocket rocket...though I suppose it beats hurling insults at ones opponent. If you have time to prepare and plan...come up with a better one...carry a real gun or have one handy...or avoid situations and places that will likely make you wish you had IMHO.

plus carry a small auto (the least reliable kind of auto in the least effective type of chamberings) in a pocket with lint and assorted pocket gunk around it (even in a pocket holster it will still find a way in eventually) and you have a recipe for failure...not every time...my bud carried one for years....every time he pulled it out at the range it shot empty without a hitch!...till the one time it didn't...he no longer carries it...cause that's the time you'll need it...the time it doesn't. I used to carry a KT P32 years ago...I sold it because I was getting in the bad habit of carrying it "instead of" a real gun times when that would have been more appropriate...not the guns fault...human nature...no question pocket carry is easier...but it's apples and oranges from carrying a real gun in a good holster that lets you have a good shot at really getting to it when and if you really need it...time is never on your side after all... it's on the initiator's.

a J frame is a little big to call a true pocket carry IMHO...but if you can make that work for you it's a damn fine time proven gun...you could certainly do worse! That said it's the ultimate "overall gun" in any good or even cheap pocket holster!...you know...if you wear overalls a lot on the weekends-LOL This Bubba does like his Liberty overalls- ;) J frames and liberty overall pockets are like peanut butter and jelly! I call it a "Sunday Gun" but then I've never been accused of being normal ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW pocket or purse carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!