.45 Colt here I come....

PDA

MacTech
February 7, 2010, 09:01 PM
I finally took my first big step towards shooting .45 Colt in my Ruger New Blackhawk convertible...

I just loaded up a dozen rounds of .45 Colt
http://homepage.mac.com/mactechg4/.Pictures/IMG_3335.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/mactechg4/.Pictures/IMG_3337.JPG

On the way home from the range this afternoon, I stopped off at the gunshop and picked up a bag of 100 Winchester .45 Colt brass cases, and a pound of IMR Trail Boss powder, got home, broke out my .45 Colt Lee Loader, and worked up a dozen rounds, one batch of 5.5Gr TB under a 200Gr LSWC, another batch of 6.5Gr TB under a 200Gr LSWC

Next week, assuming the weather cooperates, I'll be touching off my first dozen .45 Colt rounds :)

There's just something ....right.... about .45 Colt, it just feels right to me, I can see myself shooting a lot more .45 Colt than .45ACP now, big, powerful, slow, hulking rounds, gotta' love 'em, no matter the delivery vehicle...

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 Colt here I come...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmortimer
February 7, 2010, 10:28 PM
.45 Colt - got to love it.

Walkalong
February 7, 2010, 10:39 PM
Beautiful grips MacTech.

Eightball
February 7, 2010, 10:58 PM
Holy crap those are beautiful grips. Who made them, where'd you get them? More details!

And, a range report would be good, too :D

1911Tuner
February 7, 2010, 11:00 PM
A word of warning...

Single action revolvers in general can become addictive...and Blackhawks in particular.
When you get your hands on a 4.625 inch model and get a feel for the heft and balance...you might as well go ahead and hit the ol' savings account, 'cause you won't be able to sleep until you make one your own.

Oh! Yes. It's madness, I tell ya.

Oh yeah. A suggestion. For .45 Colt...Try a 250-grain cast SWC and 9 grains of Unique. Power aplenty...easy shootin' and wicked accurate.

MacTech
February 7, 2010, 11:20 PM
Walkalong and Eightball, thanks for the compliment, I purchased the gun used, and it came with these grips (and the factory Ruger grips as well), I have no idea what kind of wood they are, or who made them, there's no identifying codes on the inside of the grips

they are great looking pieces of wood though, at times I think they're *too* nice, and I contemplate putting the stock Ruger grips back on when I go out shooting so as not to "mess up" the nice grips, but these grips are much smoother and more palm filling....

MagnumDweeb
February 7, 2010, 11:35 PM
I love Ruger SA revolvers, I love that gun. When I take the .45 LC plung it'll be when I can order a thousand rounds, get the 45 LC/ACP convertible and the Ruger Redhawk .45 LC 5.5". Cause when I do I'll probably hang up all other calibers but .357 magnum and 10mm for SD and blast .45 LC for my target shooting thrills. Again great gun, great buy, enjoy.

BullRunBear
February 8, 2010, 12:56 AM
I've been shooting that same model for about 25 years and love it. The 45 Colt is my favorite big bore cartridge.

1911Tuner is right, that 250 gr. bullet over 9 grs of Unique is accurate with mild recoil. I believe John Taffin favors that load for his Blackhawk as well. (Actually, my bullets are 255 gr cast from wheel weights from a Lee mold, but what's 5 grains among friends.)

I like the caliber so much I picked up a used new model Vaquero. It's not as strong as the Blackhawk but it has more of that Colt SAA feel and is a pleasure to shoot. It's stainless and I load black powder cartidges for it sometimes. It was cheaper and more convenient than getting a conversion cylinder for the Ruger Old Army cap and ball. About 25 gr of FFFG black powder, a home made lubed felt wad and the same 255 gr bullet. I've only fired that round out to 25 yards but it is sweet and accurate. You have to clean the BP cases. I just use hot soapy water, a nylon bore brush and a hot water rinse. It's a little extra effort but worth it for the fun.

WARNING!! These single action revolvers are highly addictive. I have ten of them. Being strong willed I can stop any time I want. (Until the next one. That limited run of Blackhawks in 44 special beckons from time to time.)

Enjoy.

Jeff

Nematocyst
February 8, 2010, 01:14 AM
"Hello, my name is Nem, and I think I may be
developing an addiction to .45 Colt." :uhoh:

"Hello, Nem."

Stainz
February 8, 2010, 07:29 AM
Oh, are you in trouble now! Once upon a time, I bought a .45 BH convertible... to shoot up my .45 ACP cache after my G21's sale 11.5 yr ago. Then, like you, I had to try the .45 Colt cylinder - and some cheap 'Cowboy' loads. Big oops. More .45 Colts to follow - including my first S&W, a new 625MG from my wife. By 11/02, I had >2,700 .45 Colt empty cases in bags under my bench. The guys at the range store conned me... I ordered a Dillon 550B, never having touched a reloading press. Another infectious hobby. All the fault of that BH .45 Colt convertible.

Stainz

Hastings
February 8, 2010, 01:22 PM
45colt is as infectious as H1N1, but much more fun. I shot my first 45colt a few years ago. I decided, almost immediately, that it would be my main cartridge. In the two-three years since, I have gotten rid of all of my magnum cartridge handguns and now stick with 45colt, 45acp, 44spec, 38spec, and 22lr. Once you get a taste of the big, slow moving slug (by slow I mean under 1,100 fps) you kinda loose sight of why the muzzle blast and heavy recoil is necessary. At least I did.

dan3
February 8, 2010, 02:05 PM
MacTech - Great photos!! The Ruger .45 colts are fantastic handguns... I currently have a 5 1/2" Bisley Vaquero (blued/casehard) and a couple of stainless 5 1/2" Bisley Blackhawk convertibles. Love 'em -- I'm using 325 gr & 260 gr lead boolits. Plan to try out the .45 acp cylinders soon. The .45 colt cartridge is extremely versatile - can use on Bunnies or Bradley fighting vehicles.

bassclef
February 8, 2010, 02:13 PM
if only i had bought a ruger and not a heritage :(

ljnowell
February 8, 2010, 02:20 PM
I love my Blackhawk in .45colt

The nickel cases are Starline brass with a 300gr LTC Missouri Bullet over 18.0gr Alliant 2400 with a Win LPP. The regular brass cases are a 255gr Missouri Bullet SWC(cowboy action, BHN of 12) over 6gr IMR 700x and a CCI LPP. Both loads are incredibly accurate, probably due in large part to the gun.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m417/ljnowell/012.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m417/ljnowell/009.jpg

Nematocyst
February 8, 2010, 03:33 PM
you kinda loose sight of why the muzzle blast and heavy recoil is necessary.Stainz, is that because those are not present with .45 Colt,
or that they're there but you are more willing to deal with it?

MacTech
February 8, 2010, 11:22 PM
Tonight I loaded up another dozen rounds, the "maximum" loads published on Hornady/Winchester/IMR's load page, 7Gn TB under a 200Gn LSWC

It looks like the loads on the IMR website are reduced-power "cowboy" loads, as I've read elswhere that the standard load range is 6-7Gn, and that since TB is a low pressure powder, it's difficult to get a double charge in the case, full to the rim, a .45LC case holds 11.5ish Gn of TB, and 30 Gn of W231 (at 5Gn loading, that would be a *sextuple* charge -6X- normal :eek::what: )

I've color-coded the cartridges, sharpie on the primer, Green - 5.5Gn, Red - 6.5Gn, black - 7.0Gn

1911Tuner
February 8, 2010, 11:30 PM
a 300gr LTC Missouri Bullet over 18.0gr Alliant 2400

Let me apply a caveat to this discussion lest anyone feel like the "Ruger Only" data in the manuals includes the New Vaqueros. It doesn't. While the above data is probably a safe maximum for an original Vaquero or a NM Blackhawk...the New Vaqueros aren't as strong. Those should be limited to SAAMI standard ammunition. You can fudge a little...but not much...and only for those needful moments. Be careful.

That said...There's a very good reason that the .45 Colt is still hangin' in there after nearly 140 years. It's a great old cartridge, and it promises to be with us for a good many years to come.

Guy de Loimbard
February 8, 2010, 11:37 PM
You will like the .45 Colt. It can do everything you want it to do, and then some. My favorite load is a 255 SWC over 14.5 AA#7. This is in the "Ruger Only" load section, but only by a smidgen (20,000 CUP according to the Accurate #2 manual). It's accurate and lets you know you are shooting something with a bit more oomph than a cowboy load.

MacTech
February 9, 2010, 12:09 AM
One thing I'm really looking forward to is using the Blackhawk as an "Ambassador to the Big Bores" or "Intro To Big Bores" gun for novice shooters...

I forsee it this way, I go to my range with a newbie (in my mind it's an attractive female who just so happens to find shooting sports enthusiasts irresistible ;) ) and start them off on .22's, a .22 revolver, .22 semiauto pistol, .22 bolt, and .22 semi, once they're comfortable with the .22, I ask them if they want to try a bigger gun....

When they say "yes", out comes the Blackhawk with the .45LC and ACP cylinders, LC cylinder fitted, their eyes bug out when they see the Blackhawk's 7.5" barrel, and the cavernous holes in the muzzle and the cylinder, then I bring out some ACP and LC loads, I hand them a LC cartridge...

Their jaw drops, stunned, "Oh I couldn't *possibly* shoot that, it's far too big!"

"Go on, give it a try, you'll like it, I guarantee it, just one round if you're nervous"
(the round in question is a "powderpuff" 'Cowboy' .45LC cartridge)

They load it up, and nervously touch it off....

....and end up with a *HUGE* grin on their face
"Whoa, that was *FUN!*"
"want to try it again?"
"Please... :D"

It'd get them to not judge a cartridge by it's appearance, just because a gun is physically large and imposing in appearance, it doesn't neccesarily mean it has a wrist-breaking recoil, and who knows, they may end up wanting to try some more powerful loads just to see what they're like

JustsayMo
February 9, 2010, 12:57 AM
Looks like the makin's of another THR club...:p

The 45 Colt is about as good as it gets. Accurate, plenty of horsepower and fun to shoot. It reloads easily and is very versatile. I shoot everything from 147 grain Round ball load to 320 grain WFN Buck-busters in mine. Hard to beat the original 255 grain 900 fps load though...

Easy to reload for, not finicky about powders - my favorite is SR4756 as it fills the case nicely, produces good velocity, is accurate and burns pretty clean. The aforementioned Unique load is a classic too.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/25yd255andrbgroups.jpg
A cyclinder's worth at 25 yards, two hands, unsupported, Ruger New Vaquero

kanook
February 10, 2010, 02:00 PM
The first step to recovering is admitting you have a problem, I have a 45 LC problem.

19-3Ben
February 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
While the above data is probably a safe maximum for an original Vaquero or a NM Blackhawk...

What about the Redhawk?

ljnowell
February 10, 2010, 02:31 PM
Let me apply a caveat to this discussion lest anyone feel like the "Ruger Only" data in the manuals includes the New Vaqueros. It doesn't. While the above data is probably a safe maximum for an original Vaquero or a NM Blackhawk...the New Vaqueros aren't as strong. Those should be limited to SAAMI standard ammunition. You can fudge a little...but not much...and only for those needful moments. Be careful.

Thanks 1911Tuner, I usually put a disclaimer on that kind of load data, I forgot on that one. My aplogies. That is very much near max for the gun. I have actually worked all the way to 19.5gr. Thats he point it gets too hairy. I load all my "Ruger only" loads at the above charge of 18gr. These should be carefully approached though, even in a Blackhawk, just for safety's sake.

What about the Redhawk?

I know the redhawk is more than capable of over SAAMI spec pressures, I am not sure of those. Thats in the neighborhood of 30K.

BHP FAN
February 10, 2010, 03:02 PM
I've got a lever action rifle ,a Trapper carbine, A 7 1/2'', 4 1/4'',and two consecutive 5 1/2'' Colt clones, and two 1875 Remmies, ALL in .45 Colt....
and a pretty much matching .357 collection.

Vern Humphrey
February 10, 2010, 05:42 PM
I long came to the conclusion there is no real need for "Ruger Only" loads. A standard .45 Colt load will do about anything you need to do with a revolver.

Yes, I do shoot some "Ruger Only" loads, but not that many. And I always gavitate back to standard loads.

ljnowell
February 10, 2010, 06:11 PM
I long came to the conclusion there is no real need for "Ruger Only" loads. A standard .45 Colt load will do about anything you need to do with a revolver.

Yes, I do shoot some "Ruger Only" loads, but not that many. And I always gavitate back to standard loads.

I bought mine with the intention of shooting them. I wanted something that would rattle my teeth, as I am a recoil junkie. I couldnt afford a 500mag, so I went with something cheap,a ruger in 45 colt. I do shoot my target loads 3 to 1 though.

Nick5182
February 10, 2010, 06:25 PM
Me and my brother have consecutively numbered New Model Ruger Blackhawk convertibles in .45 Colt/ ACP. They each have the 7 1/2" barrels. They're fully engraved and neither have ever been loaded, cocked, or fired other than the factory test load, and they are absolutely beautiful revolvers.

PT1911
February 10, 2010, 06:31 PM
I plan on taking the plunge soon enough.. i need a 45 colt, a single action and a 45 acp revolver... guess which one I will be getting.... you got it.... Black hawk convertible... cover all 3 in one shot (so to speak.) I greatly look forward to it.

nice gun you've got there.

W.E.G.
February 10, 2010, 06:32 PM
Relaxes me just to look at that gun.

Reminds me of my favorite gun writer.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/people/skeeter.jpg

Vern Humphrey
February 10, 2010, 07:31 PM
I bought mine with the intention of shooting them. I wanted something that would rattle my teeth, as I am a recoil junkie.
Teeth? You still have teeth?:p

ziglew
February 10, 2010, 08:01 PM
ljn mentioned the Redhawk, which reminds me of an episode I had a few years back. A friend of mine had a desire to use his Super Redhawk to hunt deer in NC. Knowing that I reloaded my ammo ( and still due) He asked that I work up a quote, hot and accurate load, for ranges to 75 yds. I loaded 3 lots of 10 rds ea as follows;
Bullet Primer Pwdr/Wt Vel/fps

200gr cci350 Bullseye/6.2 900 poor grpng

" " 700-X/5.8 900 just fair "

" " IMR 4227/18.7 1050 decent load,tight grp

With each load my friend complained that it seemed a little "puny" compared to his 44 mag.

So the next 10 rds I loaded for him was, 300gr Speer 23gr H110 1300+ vel. This load probably approached 28K to 30K psi, which is close to 15% below
SAMMI max. Well, he fired 5 rds and announced that the load was just right,however he did not ask me to load more for his hunting purpose.:D

Yes siree, the 45LC is actg to be admired. Probably the most versatile of the big bore ctgs.

I apologise for the long winded post.

Fred

MacTech
February 10, 2010, 09:41 PM
I went to the range this afternoon (it's nice having a mid-week day off, I was the only one at the range) with my three different loads, I set up targets at 7 and 15 yards, shot three at the 7 yard target, 7 at the 15 yard target with each cylinder load

All bullets used are 200Gr LSWC, only the powder charge varies

First load, Green - 5.5Gn TB; Very light recoiling, a hair more than a .22 revolver, decent accuracy, light leading in barrel, these rounds would be great "powderpuff" loads to introduce shooters to the .45 Colt cartridge, decent enough accuracy, incredibly tame recoil, and a relatively quiet report, I wouldn't shoot these loads myself though, due to the leading and less-than-tackdriver accuracy

Second load, Red - 6.5Gn TB;a bit more recoil, up to about a steel-frame 9mm pistol recoil, leading dropped by half, however, accuracy dropped off noticeably, groups were double in size when compared to the 5.5Gn load, I'm not happy with this load at all

Final load, Black - 7.0Gn TB; Now we're talking, a nice smooth, rolling recoil, very manageable and controllable, it lets you know you're shooting a *big* gun, yet the muzzle blast and pressure wave you'd expect from this nice rolling shove is nonexistent, as is leading, yes, that's right, *NO* leading from this load, and it was the most accurate load yet to boot, strong, controllable, rolling recoil (I really love the recoil impulse of a SA revolver, very natural, organic and controllable), no leading, and an incredibly accurate load, one-holers at both 7 and 15 yards, my gun really likes this combo, so that's what I'm gonna' feed it :)

I also worked up a single cartridge of 7.5Gn W231 under a 230Gr FMJ Ball bullet, pulled from some defective cartridges I found discarded on the range last weekend, somebody had some dented steel-cased Wolf ammo, so I grabbed the cartridges put them in my kinetic bullet puller, pulled the bullets and set them aside for later, I loaded one of them into a .45LC shell on top of the W231

That was one strong, hard-hitting load, nice, rolling recoil, and dug a good grapefruit-sized crater in the sand backstop behind the target board

Now I want to load up some heavier bullets under some fast powder and see what the .45LC is truly capable of (regular loads, not Ruger Only loads, that is)

I'm really happy with .45LC, it's now my new favorite cartridge, I love the versatility, power, and low-pressure operation, it's the .30-06 of handgun calibers ;) (yes, I know .30-06 isn't low pressure)

Now to find a nice used .45LC lever-action rifle to pair with the Blackhawk...

crusty81
February 10, 2010, 09:56 PM
45 long colt is the funnest round we load and fire! we have a judge a comanche a thunderbolt rifle all chambered for 45 long colt! we cast our own 255 gr lee mold works great! use the same round in all of them , we like the new hornedy red tipped, jacketed bullet wow what a water jug killer! we also have 45 acp 38 and 357 mags a few 32 cals have a great time with your 45 lc s !!!

hogshead
February 10, 2010, 09:59 PM
Got a 45 convertible SBH. Just started loading 45 lc for it using Titegroup, 230 gr lead bullets. Shot to same poa within 2 in as 45 acp at 20 yds. Big brass, tiny powder, big boom,Gotta love it!Trying to wean myself off 44 mag. Love'm both.Decisions, decisions

crusty81
February 10, 2010, 09:59 PM
ps careful of the cheapo winchester cowboy rounds they are loaded way too light and the cases spit after 2 reloads all the way down the side! 2 so far! we got some new rem brass thay are great so far. we dont load any where near max loads.

scrat
February 10, 2010, 10:04 PM
Love the 45 Colt

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/CopyofPicture047.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/Picture041.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/Picture027.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/2-10.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/hsdd.jpg

Stainz
February 11, 2010, 10:21 AM
One caution to all .45 Colt lovers. There is no SAAMI spec for '.45 Colt +P' - just the 14 kpsi max for .45 Colt. If you 'need' more oomph, get a .454 Casull - download it, if need be. You know the revolver - and the brass - will stand it. My first-ever DA revolver was a then recently introduced Ruger 7.5" Super Redhawk. It's lockwork, same as a GP-100, broke in quite well - and it proved to be very accurate, with Hornady 240gr XTP JHPs at 2,000 fps or my homebrews of 255gr LSWCs at 1,000 fps. The latter were fun shooters... the former .454 Casulls mentioned said Hello! most emphatically - and were quite flat from 25-110 yd. It's the one Ruger I'd buy again, although my collection of Rugers now is down to an Old Army cap & ball, especially if they would make it in a 4". They can keep the Redhawks - one was enough here.

If you can be 'happy' with standard .45 Colt, and remember that the original 250gr LRN over 40gr fff bp made ~1,000 fps from 7.5" SA Colts, etc, stay there! They dropped bg's and buffalo alike. I elected to do so - and replaced all of my SA & DA Rugers with two S&W 625 Mountain Guns in .45 Colt. They have slick lockwork, accuracy, and all the 'oomph' I need. If you need more, don't hotrod - get a hotter caliber!

Stainz

ljnowell
February 11, 2010, 10:46 AM
One caution to all .45 Colt lovers. There is no SAAMI spec for '.45 Colt +P' - just the 14 kpsi max for .45 Colt. If you 'need' more oomph, get a .454 Casull - download it, if need be. You know the revolver - and the brass - will stand it. My first-ever DA revolver was a then recently introduced Ruger 7.5" Super Redhawk. It's lockwork, same as a GP-100, broke in quite well - and it proved to be very accurate, with Hornady 240gr XTP JHPs at 2,000 fps or my homebrews of 255gr LSWCs at 1,000 fps. The latter were fun shooters... the former .454 Casulls mentioned said Hello! most emphatically - and were quite flat from 25-110 yd. It's the one Ruger I'd buy again, although my collection of Rugers now is down to an Old Army cap & ball, especially if they would make it in a 4". They can keep the Redhawks - one was enough here.

If you can be 'happy' with standard .45 Colt, and remember that the original 250gr LRN over 40gr fff bp made ~1,000 fps from 7.5" SA Colts, etc, stay there! They dropped bg's and buffalo alike. I elected to do so - and replaced all of my SA & DA Rugers with two S&W 625 Mountain Guns in .45 Colt. They have slick lockwork, accuracy, and all the 'oomph' I need. If you need more, don't hotrod - get a hotter caliber!

Or you could buy a ruger that is made for the pressure, and has been tested to prove it. Loading 45 colt in a blackhawk isnt like loading 45 colt for anything else, it can be treated as its own round. Loading to 30k is more than acceptable, as in testing cylinders gave out around 60k.

Mossyrock
February 11, 2010, 06:13 PM
Now, if you REALLY want to understand the .45 Colt...I mean, at the root level, load it up with 40 grains of fffg Goex under a 255gr soft lead bullet with a good BP lube. That is an ENTIRELY different animal than the powder puff Trailboss loads!!

1911Tuner
February 11, 2010, 06:34 PM
Mossy...I don't know if you can stuff 40 grains of Goex triple-f in a modern solid head case.

But, yeah. 970 fps with a 250 grain bullet ain't exactly a small thing...on either end of the gun.

The .45 Colt in its original loading held the title of the world's most powerful handgun cartridge for longer than any other. 62 years...until the .357 Magnum came along and outpowered it...on paper.

I'm still not convinced that it beat it in the real world.

Arkansas Paul
February 11, 2010, 08:11 PM
Man this is making me ready for this weekend. I'm going to a gun show here in Little Rock on Sunday, looking for a .45 Colt in a Blackhawk. Question - Do the Ruger only loads apply to the Redhawks and Super Redhawks, or just the Blackhawks? I know they're not safe in the Vaqueros.

1911Tuner
February 11, 2010, 08:19 PM
Do the Ruger only loads apply to the Redhawks and Super Redhawks, or just the Blackhawks? I know they're not safe in the Vaqueros

Yes, and they are suitable for the now discontinued Vaquero...which was nothing more than a New Model Blackhawk with cowboy sights. It's the smaller New Model Vaqueros...essentially an old medium frame Blackhawk with cowboy sights...that won't take it. The New Vaqueros aren't as small and light as the Colt SAA, but they won't miss it by much. Although they're also stronger by a good bit than the Colts and faithful clones...it's best to err on the side of caution.

Remember the old dictum: (paraphrased)

"The pressures required to accelerate a 250 grain bullet to 1200 fps in 5 inches of rifled barrel is more than enough to blow your eyeballs through the back of your head."

'Nuff said?

The old Vaqueros were available in .44 Magnum...which is a sight punchier than the Ruger Only .45 Colt loads.

Arkansas Paul
February 11, 2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the quick response 1911 Tuner. I'm thinking if I find one in a Redhawk, I may go for it. I love them. I found one in .44 but I'm really set on a .45. I may go back for it if I can't find a .45 that jumps out at me.

Wasn't trying to hijack the thread. Sorry. Gorgeous grips by the way. I definately want to spring for a nice set of grips when I buy something. Very nice.

JustsayMo
February 11, 2010, 08:27 PM
Ruger loads are safe in Rugers (Blackhawk & Redhawk) EXCEPT the NEW Vaquero. The original Vaquero is stout enough to handle the Ruger loads though the point of impact doesn't match the point of aim in loads I've tested. YMMV.

The NEW Vaquero is a great gun but it isn't up to "Ruger only" loads. It is sleeker and a good bit purtyer in my estimation. Carries nice and feels more Colt like in the hand - meaning it points better. I'm inclined to believe that Ruger did a better job on the cylinder throats too as my RNV are all impressively accurate.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/nvwtargets.jpg

1911Tuner
February 11, 2010, 08:48 PM
No hijack detected, Paul. It follows the topic, and it's all good. ;)

Mo...I've got a pair of New Vaqueros that I'm enjoying immensely, and truthfully...I don't think I'd like'em nearly as much with fire-breathin' ammo. They pack an authoritative punch with 250 and 9 grains of Unique. I normally bring that down to 8 grains for general knockin' around, and have noticed no loss in accuracy nor enough change in POI to make a difference to me. I haven't chronographed the 8 grain stuff, but 9 grains with the cast bullet clocks a tick over 900 fps average for 20 shots, split between both guns.

JustsayMo
February 11, 2010, 09:01 PM
1911T - I hear you. The 300 grainers are for the fat gripped Blackhawk and Marlin. 250 grains at 900 fps is mighty impressive on stuff I shoot with it. I'm almost embarrassed to admit what a thrill ("up my leg") I get sending a big chuck of lead hissing down range and connecting audibly with steel and seeing topple or swing backwards... That sort of thing keeps me grinnin for days...

1911Tuner
February 11, 2010, 09:10 PM
I'm almost embarrassed to admit what a thrill ("up my leg") I get sending a big chuck of lead hissing down range and connecting audibly with steel and seeing topple or swing backwards

Death to the fallin' plate tyrant!

I mean...what's there not to like about a single action .45 Colt revolver?

unspellable
February 11, 2010, 09:11 PM
There are quite a number of firearms around chambered for 45 Colt that may or may not stand up to "Blackhawk" loads, but would certainly stand up to something hotter than factory loads, however, there's scarcity of loading data for such.

Some examples would be the Colt Anaconda, the Dan Wesson, the Taurus Raging Bull, and probably a few SAs and rifles. (Yes, I have a Raging Bull chambered for 45 Colt, not 454 Casull, it's a six holer.)

Vern Humphrey
February 12, 2010, 08:24 AM
Mossy...I don't know if you can stuff 40 grains of Goex triple-f in a modern solid head case.
I've certainly never been able to stuff more than about 36 grains in.

Nematocyst
February 12, 2010, 10:40 AM
Mo, I'm glad to see you have joined this discussion. Your input here virtually insures a .45 Colt in my future. :rolleyes:

You're even going to force me to consider a Vaquero, even a New Vaquero since I'm not really interested in powerhouse anything, and since they are lighter than Blackhawks (even if by only 4 oz) and much lighter than Redhawks.

One question about your comment here:

The 300 grainers are for the fat gripped Blackhawk and Marlin.

Which Marlins eat .45 Colt?

JustsayMo
February 12, 2010, 11:16 AM
Nem, there are Marlin 1894's cambered in 45 Colt. I have the Cowboy version and I really like it. I shoot Levergun Silhouette pistol caliber matches with it and a 255 grain slug knocks em down with authority - the chickens literally go flying with a low hit.

For hunting I use a 325 grain bullet and push it to just under 1500 fps. Comparatively very similar to what 300 grain factory ammo chronographs out of my 45-70s. Big Bore Lite...

Nem you REALLY need to take up reloading before you get a 45 Colt. Factory offerings are expensive and most underachieve. It is probably one of the easiest cartridges to reload for. Even paying 4 cents per primer :fire: and buying lead :banghead: I can still reload for less than a dime/round casting my own. Around here CCI mini Mag 22lr ammo almost costs that much... Shooting 45 colt out of anything is way more fun...:D

Stainz
February 12, 2010, 12:20 PM
Here is a short/long barrel .45 Colt 'fun' answer for Nem. I am not sure if my Puma, a SS 24" octagon barrel M1892, is still made as a Brazilian Rossi or not. Mine has never hiccupped - always just fun. The Marble's Tang Site is super - makes shotgun clays easily dispatched at 110yd. The Puma was pre-drilled/tapped and the sight was fitted when the Puma was new - before I ever shot it. The 625MG is fun, too!

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_0294_edited.jpg

My 830+ fps 250gr LRNFP reloads in my 4" 625MG make it up to 1,054 fps from the 24" Puma. More impressive - the GA Arms 200gr Gold Dots, which make 1,123 fps from the 4" 625MG, hit 1,424 fps from the 24" Puma.

.45 Colts are fun.

Stainz

hamourkiller
February 12, 2010, 12:20 PM
For those of you who cast your own boolits, over at castboolits forum. Mould maker NOE has two cavity moulds available in the 454424 255gr Keith style. I am using these moulds and bullets and they are superb. The most accurate bullets I have shot out of my 4 5/8 BH and 6" S&W. Cast out of Lyman #2 they weigh 254grs and hit like a freight train when pushed by 8.5grs unique.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=71160

There is also a group buy working up for a 270gr Keith Style SWC in a cramer style mould that will allow a hollow point or solid version from the same mould.

It is a good time to be a bullet caster!

JustsayMo
February 12, 2010, 12:41 PM
Nice setup Stainz. Those tools cover a lot of bases. With a setup like that a fella could expect to live free and prosper.

Those Puma's are a heck of a value. I've been tempted a number of times but manage to remain a loyal Marlin owner.

Hamourkiller, I wish I would have spotted that sooner. I picked up the RCBS 270 grain Keith style and like it a lot. Wouldn't mind that 255 Keith but fundage is low.

Vern Humphrey
February 12, 2010, 12:54 PM
A "sleeper" of a bullet for the.45 Colt (especially in the Blackhawk) is the Lee .450 or .454 Improved Minnie Ball. This hollow based bullet weighs about 300 grains, depending on the alloy, and shoots very well in most Blackhawks

Nematocyst
February 12, 2010, 12:59 PM
Mo and Stainz, thanks.

Nem you REALLY need to take up reloading before you get a 45 Colt. I hear you loud and clear. Multiple people are telling me that.

Dnaltrop
February 12, 2010, 06:36 PM
Couldn't resist with all the SAA flying... my Stock (for now) Uberti made Taylor's Model #855 Top-break Schofield .45

With all the popularity of the Taurus Judge, we honest shooters have to work to find boxes of basic cowboy rounds lately.

Hammer is a bit oddly placed for some people, but is just about perfect for my big mitt,. My left arm has limited function, I just break out the shells and tuck it into my armpit to reload.

Being able to use a .45 speedloader with your single action gun has it's perks. No loading gate to fumble with.

The soft commerical winchester cowboy loads were exploding the 2x4's propping my targets up quite energetically. Heavy bullet and low velocity will still ruin anyone's day at the wrong end.

Getting my .45 Schofield was the final push to get me into working my own brass at home. You can't go hot on these clones, but so far it's been solid, (and fun) with the basics.

Those Vaquero look clean though, i'll have to scoop one for the collection.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 Colt here I come...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!