Re: Pardner 20 ga Choke

PDA

kmittleman
February 7, 2010, 09:44 PM
Hi All,

My defenses are slowly, slowly weakening and I think I may end up getting a Pardner in 20 ga. I want to use it for squirrel and maybe deer if it shoots slugs halfway decent plus survival preparedness. The question is, which choke should I get, Full or Modified? How far will the Modified shoot for squirrel hunting and can I shoot slugs out of a Full choke?

Thanks in advance!

-Kevin

If you enjoyed reading about "Re: Pardner 20 ga Choke" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingpin008
February 7, 2010, 09:49 PM
Hey - you might want to PM a Mod and have them move this to the Shotguns forum. You're much more likely to get a quick, accurate response over there.

Good luck. :)

kmittleman
February 7, 2010, 09:52 PM
Hey!

Where in Howard County MD do you live? I'm in Ellicott City.

-Kevin

billybobjoe
February 7, 2010, 10:10 PM
I've got an old 12g pardner, but you might be happy to move up to another gun. Since I bought the pardner 25 years ago when I was in college I've bought several others. I'd never get rid of my Beretta 20 guage. You could also consider a Stevens double barrel. Then you'd have a full and modified choke with the same gun. The pardner worked for me in college for $79.00, but in the long run you're happier when you buy a more expensive gun. When you have the thing for the rest of your life, what's a few more dollars.

BCCL
February 7, 2010, 11:12 PM
kmittleman, I took this doe last November with an NEF Pardner Pump in .20 gauge with a modified choke and a 21" barrel, using Remington "Slugger" rifled slugs.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m103/Bear_Claw_Chris_Lappe/2009%20Deer%20Hunt/Deer.jpg

The gun was very accurate and consistent with the modified choke, but I don't believe you can shoot slugs through a full choke.

Guvnor
February 7, 2010, 11:54 PM
I just got the 20 gauge mod choke pardner but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

I also have the full-choked 410 model. With slugs the accuracy is pretty lousy through the full choke. Like a paper plate size group at 25 yards.

Opinions vary on the slugs through a full choke topic. But its never been a problem for me with the 410 model using lead foster slugs. Not sure if its the same deal with a 20 gauge or not, ill wait for the experts to comment on that.

Be advised these H&R's are addictive and you may soon find yourself with several in your safe. :cool:

BCCL
February 8, 2010, 09:53 AM
Be advised these H&R's are addictive and you may soon find yourself with several in your safe.

That's for sure, already got a .12 to go with the .20, but it's more of a HD gun that hunter.

These guns are built like tanks, even with synthetic stock and forearm, my .12 is a heavy gun!

FLNT4EVR
February 10, 2010, 11:20 AM
The pardner pump shotguns in 20ga come equiped with screw in chokes, So you can have any choke you like.Rifled slugs usualy shoot best in a cilinder bore or improved cilinder choke.

goon
February 10, 2010, 02:53 PM
In my single barrel NEF 20 gauge I can get practically one hole groups at 25 yards (modified choke). But...
They were nowhere near point of aim. I think if the choke were opened up a bit they would shoot better. As it was, the gun is a beater I got for $60 so I just filed the bead to make slugs hit where I wanted them. But in retrospect, it may have made more sense to let the bead alone and get the choke opened up a little by a gunsmith. I may have it redone that way at some point... And I also want another single barrel NEF or H&R 20 gauge.

Dave McCracken
February 10, 2010, 08:23 PM
To the OP, while Full has been traditional for squirrels, unless they're all way up on top of the trees, Mod works fine.

And modern ammo is good enough that a new shell through a Mod choke will outdo most 1960-ish ammo from a Full.

Last squirrels I took were with a 20 gauge 870 and a Mod choke. One shot for each squirrel. Range ran up up 35 yards or so.

MCgunner
February 11, 2010, 12:03 AM
Squirrels are why God gave us the .22 rimfire....:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Re: Pardner 20 ga Choke" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!