Do You Get Competitive at the Range?

PDA

jdkelly
November 17, 2003, 08:59 PM
When shooting at the range, do you ever find yourself engaged in an undeclared shooting contest with a person you don’t know in another lane? If so, what triggers the competition?

I know if another shooter mimics my target placement (I have a sequence I shoot), that I’ll move the target out until one of our groups comes apart.

Curiously,

jdkelly

If you enjoyed reading about "Do You Get Competitive at the Range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PlayTheAces
November 17, 2003, 09:22 PM
I don't get competitive, but...........

Once in a while if someone with a decked out 1911 is in the vicinity and I have it with me, I'll get out my old series 70. Now this gun is mechanically excellent, but truly looks like it's been thumped by a ugly stick. Spent some time outdoors laying in mud among other things (before I acquired it). It's always funny to see the reaction, as most of the time it'll keep up with other 1911's.

Then I'll say something like "Say, you don't know how to get one of these apart do you? They tell me I should clean/oil it, but after all these years I still can't figure out how to disassemble it!"

Werewolf
November 17, 2003, 09:30 PM
NO...

When I'm shooting I'm concentrating on what I'm doing - not what the guy in the next lane over is doing.

No time limit where I shoot either so I'm not on the clock but I am there to shoot not socialize.

In fact unless they interact with me first no congress occurs between myself and others on the range. If someone does initiate a conversation I'm usually happy to participate but that first interaction only happens maybe 1 in 4 trips.

In any event no competition ever takes place.

rayra
November 17, 2003, 09:34 PM
"Do You Get Competitive at the Range?"
No, unless it IS a competitive event. Other than that, what is the point of getting distracted during Practice time?

XLMiguel
November 17, 2003, 09:37 PM
Wellllll, sorta. I figure some days you give lessons, some days you take them. Mostly, I shoot for myself and my own improvement, but it's like when two sail boats meet on the same tack, you're just naturally going to trim up sharp and see who has the boat speed, who can point higher. You're racing, whether the other guy knows it or not. :cool: It's just natural to compare how you're doing to those around you.

And I do believe competiton improves the breed.

Sven
November 17, 2003, 09:44 PM
I'm in a zone, just the target and me. Reminds me of when I used to pitch in Junior Baseball. Just me, the catcher and the batter - no crowd noise, nothing else going on.... I'm the same way at the range.

Between strings, I reload usually walking around a bit and see what's going on. Good to take a break, but if I am looking at their stuff it is usually to see their gear, not their groups.

ocabj
November 17, 2003, 09:49 PM
I'm usually quiet and keep to myself when at my regular shooting range. But I'm really quick to correct anyone near me if they improperly handle a firearm, especially if I see the wrong end of the barrel pointing towards me.

There are a few regulars and the rangemaster that I always see on weekends who I talk to, and it's always good friendly discussion about guns and non-gun topics.

Sometimes someone I don't know and never seen before will ask me a few questions, and I answer them nicely, but I try not to spark too much conversation about how they're shooting or how I'm shooting.

ocabj
November 17, 2003, 09:50 PM
Oh, and I think the number reason for me to ever spark any conversation at the range with the guy next to me is to ask him if he's saving his brass. :D

cool45auto
November 17, 2003, 09:53 PM
Not intentionally. I'll watch out of the corner of my eye while reloading. I like to see how the others are doing and what they're shooting.

JDSlack
November 17, 2003, 09:56 PM
only compete with myself.

WonderNine
November 17, 2003, 10:02 PM
Don't lie you guys, you know showing off toys is fun. :evil:

I don't get competitive at all, but I am interested in how/what other people are doing especially if they're firing a gun that interests me.

longtom4570
November 17, 2003, 10:23 PM
Me and a buddy went to the range to burn up some ammo shooting mostly 223 and other stuff, so was every else sooo i says lets bring out the heavy arty, i break out the 1903a3 and start shooting, boy talk about getting every ones attention:what: :evil: so ya a little competitve:D

BamBam-31
November 17, 2003, 11:39 PM
Sometimes I wonder how I stack up against some of the other guys at the range, but I really don't compete against anyone. Like posted earlier, I compete against myself.

When I go to the range with my buddies, I get excited when they shoot well, and vice versa. (Well, there is this one buddy....nah, won't go there.) It's more fun that way, eh?

Darrin
November 17, 2003, 11:50 PM
Only competition here is with the group I'm at the range with. Even then it's not totally a competition, just joking around. ("Wow, man, you suck! I can do that left handed.":D)

Guy B. Meredith
November 18, 2003, 12:12 AM
I don't compete as I am usually very focused on improving myself. I can shoot decent groups, but figure I can get a big head when I can keep up with a Bullseye shooter. Gonna be a while.

However, I will get over next to loudmouth studs who strut about all the noise they are able to make. Usually they are kicking up the mud about 6 feet out and I like to give them a good reference point for where they are in reality.

If someone is learning and having problems I will ask if it is okay if I make suggestions and do so with their consent. I do like to socialize and make others feel good about being there and their accomplishments.

P95Carry
November 18, 2003, 12:27 AM
only compete with myself. That's it, in a nutshell JD!

sm
November 18, 2003, 12:48 AM
When I competed in clay games? Oh you bet I did, it's a guy thing :D I competed with myself oh sure, but put money on the line...well, business is business. I'd get so focused I'd have to be told the round was over.

Yep I'm competitive, with myself especially and foremost, no denial. I had to actually quit being so serious because I'd do crazy stuff like shoot 16 practice rds of skeet in one day. That was the day I quit being so serious. My shooting improved, my scores went up,and began having more fun. Competeitve nature was and is still there .

I applied this to all other shooting also. I call it having serious fun.

J.J.
November 18, 2003, 01:22 AM
I am such a horrible shot I can't "compete." Wish i could see people like some of y'all when i go to the range.. I would love pointers but no one seems to care to help me out.. i try to make conversation and work my way up to getting the mind if you show me a tip but rarely do i get talked back to. So i just sit back and watch the guy next to me and try to mimic him/her.

swingset
November 18, 2003, 01:27 AM
In a word: No.

Not every competitive person is an a-hole, but EVERY a-hole is competitive. I shoot to please myself, screw the rest of the range.

timbo
November 18, 2003, 01:50 AM
Well, for me, I'm at the range primarily for my own amusement, secondly for practice. When I go to the range, if I meet a nice person there and a friendly competition comes up, sure, I'm up for that. One time in particular I met a guy who had never shot a .45 auto before, not to mention a USP, so after trying out his Sig 226 in 9, we had a match of our own on 50 yard targets... except we shot the other's gun. Tons of fun, kinda wish I would meet more people like this at the range.

Oh, and try not to laugh at all the guys that go nuts and hit nothing at the range, I'm one of them. Concentrating on targets and getting the bullets on target is nice and all, but sometimes you just want to blast away at the target.

10-Ring
November 18, 2003, 01:57 AM
I'm w/ the Sorta set :D Sometimes, I feel like the 142nd fastest gun looking for 143 :D ;)

Beren
November 18, 2003, 02:29 PM
I once ended up in an undeclared competition with a pair of local detectives one fine morning at the local indoor range. This was a few years back, they both had nice-lookking Sig pistols, I think they were 228's. I had my Kahr MK-9 - this was before it KB'd... (The KB occured a few weeks later. The MK-9 failed to go fully into battery, and I failed to notice before I pulled the trigger. Crack! Blew out the extractor, part of the grip, a few other components.. No damage done to me, though I was a tad bit puckered for awhile afterwards. Kahr fixed it good as new and even installed brand new Trijicon night sights.)

I either scared off the detectives or the got annoyed at all my noise and left. I kept rapid firing strings of 9mm at a hostage target with greater accuracy at a longer range.. Of course, that was before I started shooting the hostage part of the target, too. Does anyone else do that? I like to think of them as two targets in one. :)

That said, my shooting skills aren't particularly impressive. They improve when an attractive female is watching...I still don't understand how that works.

Skunkabilly
November 18, 2003, 02:37 PM
No, I'm only 'combat accurate' :uhoh:

My dancing tennisballs (poor man's reactive targets) get a lot of looks though.

Jayman
November 18, 2003, 06:32 PM
Sure I get competitive. If I see somebody shooting that ought to be shooting better, I'll move my target to the same range and demonstrate. ;) I compete with my friends, we do it for fun. If anyone asks us for help, we gladly give. I've spent hours just helping others out at the range. I love the game and love to share and help others.

Then again, it figures that I play IDPA games and dabble at 3 gun. I'm not great, but dangit, having others playing with you makes you want to do better. I compete with myself, but my shooting's gotten tons better from having been in actual competition.

Glock_PhD
November 18, 2003, 06:40 PM
When I go to the range it is to practice and improve my blah blah blah. I try and try but the competitive side always comes out. Especialy when the person next to me keeps trying to move the target at the same range and get better groups. I'm not a great shot but I'll tell ya what, when the competitive side comes out it makes me step it up a notch.

Lennyjoe
November 18, 2003, 11:09 PM
Only with myself.

I do keep an open eye out for safety related issues though!!!

Beetle Bailey
November 19, 2003, 01:18 AM
I am such a horrible shot I can't "compete." Wish i could see people like some of y'all when i go to the range.. I would love pointers but no one seems to care to help me out.. i try to make conversation and work my way up to getting the mind if you show me a tip but rarely do i get talked back to. So i just sit back and watch the guy next to me and try to mimic him/her.

Best tools that helped me are a good spotting scope (so you can see right away where your shot went and how your group is going) and shoot-N-C's (for the same reason). Good consistant ammo also. Start a post like "I have a (your gun here) in (your gun's caliber here). What ammo choices do you recommend? Which ones should I avoid? Thanks in advance for all your help."

(Above advice is best for rifle shooting but also applies for handguns, only with handguns you can probably do without the spotting scope.)

As for the competitive at the range stuff, I (like several others) know that I am competing with myself. I am focusing on breathing, sight picture, target, trigger, etc. (I'm not good enough to worry about the wind :uhoh: )

I guess if there were several people who all had the same rifles shooting at the same distance . . . :rolleyes:

HogRider
November 19, 2003, 12:04 PM

I just want to the have the loudest gun, the largest muzzle flash and the tightest groups. Other than that I'm not competitive at all!

:neener:

RTFM
November 19, 2003, 12:33 PM
No

Mikul
November 19, 2003, 01:58 PM
I don't know if I get competative, but I do feel the need to make unannounced demonstrations from time to time.

Once, a couple of young guys are shooting a full-sized torso target at 5 yards. They're blowing through magazines at a rate of about one round per second. They were occasionally missing the target. Holes were evenly spread throughout the target. They seemed quite impressed with themselves.

I push my 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper out to the 60 foot line and begin firing at approximately the same rate; forty rounds. I pull the target back and make an "accidental" pause at the 10 yard line. Pretty much everything would fit within the dimensions of my fist.

The shooting of these other guys slowed down dramatically after that demonstration.

genie
November 19, 2003, 02:56 PM
mostly not. but like others have said, while concentrating on smooth trigger pulls and what not, every now and then i get caught up in trying to get close to or best another person's groups.

when that becomes bothersome to me, i just bring out my beloved ruger srh in .454 casull. the big boom and flash usually clears out my thoughts and forget about tight groupings -- i'm still merely trying to not anticipate recoil! :)

Correia
November 19, 2003, 07:08 PM
They put me moderating Competition Shooting for a reason. :)

I'm a competitive son of a gun. However I don't shoot at a regular range very often. I don't have the patience for shooting pretty little groups.

My local range has a 1 shot a second rule. The only way I could manage to stay within 1 shot a second was to load all of my magazines with 1 round each and practice slide lock reloads. :p Still shot a better group than anybody else there.

lotus
November 19, 2003, 08:52 PM
Competitive. Don't need to. Usually the only thing the other shooters say to me are things like:

Wow, you shot that group with iron sights?

and

What are you aiming at down there at 200, Mister? Wha... I can't see no .410 shells sittin' there. Yes, I was using a scope that time :p

TonyB
November 20, 2003, 02:27 PM
It depends...at the range w/ friends ,not really..just having fun and shooting as many guns as possible....one thing that does surprise me is that I always run to the email to see how I did on IDPA night as compared to others.Every night is a different bunch of stages,so you really can't tell how you're doing..sure you can see points down,but it's hard to keep track of time.It's good to see who did better and try to figure out how they did it faster.....but mostly I just want to improve myself.....watching great shooters is a good way to do that......I want to go to the smith and wesson winter nationals to see some great shooters......I think you raise to the level of compitition sometimes......all in all tho it's about having fun.:cool:

Navy joe
November 20, 2003, 04:45 PM
Yeah, why not, it falls under that constant urge to improve thing. I more often fall into the unannounced demo category like Mikul though, sometimes it is conducive to safety to deflate an ego with a bad shot or just make them leave which is why I bring M44 Nagants or 12ga 3"slugs to an indoor range. They pack and leave quick.

Lately, since I still don't have a timer, I've been using other people's shooting as start signals, when I hear them fire I will draw and fire or do whatever I am doing. Even better if someone near me is drawing, I can watch for them to start the draw and use that as my start signal, see who gets the shot off first.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do You Get Competitive at the Range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!