Speaking of weak gun reviews - what's your favorite magazine?

PDA

Triggernosis
February 8, 2010, 10:25 AM
I don't even subscribe to any magazines anymore, because after you've got about a year or 2-years worth of them, you've pretty much got it covered for a while.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Speaking of weak gun reviews - what's your favorite magazine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fourbits
February 8, 2010, 10:27 AM
As a pistol nut I enjoy American Handgunner.
Fourbits

MikePGS
February 8, 2010, 10:29 AM
I'm partial to Combat Handguns. I used to have a subscription to Guns and Ammo (The future mother-in-law got it for me for Christmas) but I never cared for the majority of it. I did find it amusing however that they apparently require Patrick Sweeney to be holding a gun and pointing it at an angle away from the camera in every single picture he takes. I did like the Colonel Cooper parts at the end, and then the Bart Skelton ones that replaced it.

Handyguy
February 8, 2010, 10:44 AM
Don't subscribe to mags because they all have the same great words for each item they test. Same with car, boat, etc, mags. After all, why would/should they bite the hand that feeds them. Our subscription money does not pay the tab for a magazine.

oneounceload
February 8, 2010, 10:48 AM
I prefer finer shotguns, so I like Shooting Sportsman. Besides honest gun reviews, (I know the writer), they have great articles about shooting venues all over the place - some of which I may never get to experience. Their eye-candy ads are nice as well.

Lakeshore
February 8, 2010, 11:34 AM
I subscribe to Handguns, American Handgunner and (NRA) American Rifleman, read the rest for free at the newsstand. It helps me learn about new guns and keep up with current events in the world of shooting. But I pay almost no attention to the perennially glowing gun review infomercials.

SlamFire1
February 8, 2010, 11:37 AM
Guns and Ammo is so cheap, that I read it anyway.

American Handgunner and American Rifleman. I am upset that American Rifleman has gone from objective reporting to total shill articles.

The most objective is Gun Tests. They will trash, or not recommend firearms. This bothers people. Folks want to read positive reviews of the guns they own.

Owen
February 8, 2010, 12:15 PM
Small Arms Review

Owen
February 8, 2010, 12:20 PM
The most objective is Gun Tests. They will trash, or not recommend firearms. This bothers people. Folks want to read positive reviews of the guns they own.

The problem I have with gun tests is that the testers often aren't qualified to do the tests. Some of the classics that I remember was when they tested Olympic grade .22 pistols, and shot embarrassing groups, at relatively short ranges, and the one where they reviewed Hi-Powers. They had a Browning and an FN. They managed to misassemble one of them, and commented on how one was so much better made than the other. The difference betwen the two is a parkerized vs. a blued finish. They are made on hte same line, with the same equipment.

SG1
February 8, 2010, 12:44 PM
I don't subscribe, but I like to read (I think it's called) Personal-Defense. I've read some good articles on practicle self defense. They cover SD situations with guns, knives, rifles, shotguns, etc. Less product reviews and more "go practice this" stuff. At least in the issues I've read.

MK11
February 8, 2010, 12:50 PM
I dunno, owning both a BHP and an FN HP, the Browning is superior in almost every single way (except the nearly useless safety on both). Maybe one was made on Tuesday and another on Friday but I wouldn't touch an FN again.

oasis618
February 8, 2010, 12:51 PM
I'd have to go with American Handgunner.

RKRCPA
February 8, 2010, 01:08 PM
I'd say American Handgunner first (been reading it so long it feels like family), then Handloader.

twice barrel
February 8, 2010, 02:13 PM
None anymore. Around 20 or more years ago I enjoyed Shooting Times.

possum
February 8, 2010, 02:16 PM
i have canceled all of my subscriptions except for SWAT magazine. They are the most in lone with my thinking, training and mindset. I know what guns and or tolls work for me, and i enjoy reading AAR's and course reviews.

BullRunBear
February 8, 2010, 02:31 PM
American Handgunner and Guns magazines. The John Connor columns are worth the price by themselves. Also American Rifleman, especially for the historical articles.

Jeff

RugerDoug
February 8, 2010, 03:15 PM
American Handgunner, GUNS, Combat Handguns.

4v50 Gary
February 8, 2010, 04:32 PM
SWAT. It's not just handguns but rifles, shotguns and tactics.

Mr. Whimsy
February 8, 2010, 05:36 PM
I've learned a lot about sixguns from Handloader. Or is it Handload? Either way it's the only one I ever buy.

The concept of Gun Tests is great. Unfortunately though I took their "free issues" offer and when I declined to subscribe after the trial period, they turned my in to a shady collections agency as if I owed them money. I can't say enough bad things about them now.

Pud
February 8, 2010, 06:19 PM
My favorites are American Handgunner, Combat Handguns.....even though they sometimes overlap a bit.
I like their articles, Ayoob has some good stuff.:D

Pud

HGUNHNTR
February 8, 2010, 06:30 PM
I just prefer to pick up a few good books while at the bookstore. Ayoob's Combat Handgunnery, etc. At least I get more than 20 minutes of reading out of them.

wlewisiii
February 8, 2010, 06:53 PM
I like Rifle & I get SGN for the ads & to giggle at the overwrought writing.

William

Cosmoline
February 8, 2010, 07:03 PM
Rifle, Handloader and SGN. But I prefer to rely on old gun digests or Keith's "Gun Notes."

remingtondude58
February 8, 2010, 07:11 PM
The concept of Gun Tests is great. Unfortunately though I took their "free issues" offer and when I declined to subscribe after the trial period, they turned my in to a shady collections agency as if I owed them money. I can't say enough bad things about them now.

I had the same problem with The North American Fishing Club magazine.

The only magazine I get is American Rifleman, and i like it. I also like Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement, Surefire's Combat Tactics, Shooting Illustrated, Gun Tests, and American Gunsmith.

garyhan
February 8, 2010, 07:50 PM
I subscribe to pretty much all of them, but Rifle, Guns, and Varmint Hunter seem to yield the most useful info.

gary

M2 Carbine
February 9, 2010, 12:33 PM
what's your favorite magazine?
Other than the Rifleman, none.

I stopped reading the gun rags years ago. It was just the same old stuff over and over again.

Writers telling BS stories about "defense shootings".

The gun "testers" saying every piece of junk was a good gun to please the advertisers. I especially liked the part where the gun doesn't shoot worth a darn, so they throw out the bad shots when figuring the group size.:D

Then there's the 9mm-45ACP argument every few months.

Once in a while friends give me a gun magazine and I'm not surprised nothing has changed.

There are a few good knowledgeable writers but even they just keep beating the same dead horses.

SwampWolf
February 11, 2010, 12:03 PM
I've been a life-long (since the late fifties) reader of various gun magazines because I enjoy reading about all types of firearms and because long ago I came to the shocking realization that I don't know everything and, hence, I'm always looking to increase my understanding and knowledge base. The Handloader, Rifle, Shooting Sportsman, American Rifleman, American Handgunner, Varmint Hunter and Guns are my favorites. I also subscribe to Shooting Illustrated, Shooting Times and Guns & Ammo because the subscription rates are pretty cheap and they have good articles from time to time. Though I subscribe to Gun Tests (and, due to their admirable "no advertisers" policy, this subscription doesn't come cheap) and find it informative and interesting, I often strongly disagree with their testing criteria.

tipoc
February 11, 2010, 01:07 PM
Cosmoline's tastes are mine as well. Handloader magazine is simply the best out there. Rifle is a close second. Both take the shooter and their subjects seriously. The writers know their stuff and are not bored by what they are doing. (When an editor forces John Taffin to review polymer guns for his supper the editor oughta be whipped).

Some years back I subscribed to a number of them to keep up on things. I let them lapse except for the above. I look now and again to keep up on things but the hype gets tiresome.

They have the same editors as Cosmo. Cosmo: "10 steps to MASSIVE orgasms" or "Five ways to keep him happy in Bed" or "Is Bigger Better?".

G&A or Handgunner: "10 sure tips for Concealed Carry success" or "5 Best defensive loads for the .380!" or "Is Bigger Better?"

tipoc

earlthegoat2
February 11, 2010, 01:15 PM
Shooting Sportsman
Double Gun Journal
Guns and Ammo mags for the pretty pictures

RobMoore
February 11, 2010, 01:49 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f46/LITEW8/AmericanMallninja.jpg

SwampWolf
February 11, 2010, 01:51 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Double Gun Journal! Put that one on my list too-though it's pretty pricey.

oneeyedwilly
February 11, 2010, 11:15 PM
I would have to say I read American Handgunner since I was lucky enough to be the Prize Winner of the Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II from the May/June 2009 Handgun-of-the-Month giveaway, it was really a cool thing and it's been real fun to shoot

BHP FAN
February 12, 2010, 01:56 AM
Guns Of The West.

Kernel
February 12, 2010, 11:36 AM
Handloader (just signed up again after 5 or 6 years of not reading it) and a lifetime subscription to American Rifleman. :)

Everything (and more) I use to get from gun rags I can now get from the internet for free. IMO print media needs to get more technical and more critical or they're not going to survive. 90% of what's published in the main stream mags is worthless pap.

Handloader, as good as it is, was MUCH better 20 years ago.

Va Shooter
February 12, 2010, 12:07 PM
SGN for me Guns & Ammo will go away after this subscription is over (gift from the wife) miss Col. Cooper.

XD
February 12, 2010, 01:10 PM
Wilson Combat Mags are my favorite = )

If you enjoyed reading about "Speaking of weak gun reviews - what's your favorite magazine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!