I D this S & W looks old

PDA

finnfur
February 8, 2010, 06:26 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/awuslc.jpg
Well wife came back from estate auction and says " They had some guns and I bought some " Heres one auction says is 44 cal. Has S&W emblem embedded in grips . There are no other ID marks on the gun except SN on bottom of handle frame were lanyard attachment is.
Any ideas ?

If you enjoyed reading about "I D this S & W looks old" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kanook
February 8, 2010, 07:37 PM
If you post this pic in the "sticky" on S&W dates and models in the revolver section they will help you. Or wait around here.

finnfur
February 8, 2010, 08:20 PM
OK thanks for helping this newbie out.
Tom

joed
February 8, 2010, 08:44 PM
That's an old one. It's a top break .44 Model 3. I'd need more info to tell you more like a serial number. It could be a Russian, Turkish or American model, I'm not sure.

MachIVshooter
February 8, 2010, 08:45 PM
That looks to be some variation of double action 3rd model, probably dates between 1880 and 1900. I would need more photo's and numbers. I'm not as good as some of these guys with the ID's

Black Knight
February 8, 2010, 09:32 PM
IIRC the model 3 Russian had an odd trigger guard. I believe there was a curved piece added to the bottom rear of the trigger guard for those that wanted to hook the middle finger.

orionengnr
February 8, 2010, 10:41 PM
I sure like your wife's approach to life :)

RippinSVT
February 9, 2010, 01:33 AM
So there are no S&W markings on the gun besides the serial number and grips? That sounds fishy to me, I have some Smiths from the mid 1880's that have markings at least.

Elm Creek Smith
February 10, 2010, 03:24 AM
Old S&W Top-Break revolvers had patent information on the top of the barrel rib. If it isn't there, it could be a European (Spanish?) copy. It looks like a Smith, though.

ECS

rmfnla
February 12, 2010, 06:33 PM
I think it's a copy, too.

I don't remember that pin on the barrel just above the hinge on any of the old S&Ws I've owned and seen.

The barrel latch looks wrong, too.

The Lone Haranguer
February 12, 2010, 08:31 PM
Do you have a picture of the other side of the gun? The Smith & Wesson trademark/logo should be prominent.

floridaboy
February 12, 2010, 10:48 PM
It looks as though it may be a .44 double action. Most likely .44 Russian. Better pics will net a better ID.

Onmilo
February 14, 2010, 03:53 PM
It isn't a Smith and Wesson.
S&W .44s have a distinctive square back trigger guard.
It will also be prominantly marked on the top barrel rib and you describe your gun as having no markings.

The revolver is modt likely Belgian made and uses the S&W barrel latch system coupled to the lockwork developed by Webley for use in the Bulldog revolvers.

I hope she didn't pay too much.

HZOX221
February 14, 2010, 07:57 PM
It is a S&W look at the grips. Are there any markings on the gun?

It appears to be a third model double action with a single action trigger guard. It is a latter model, you can tell by the trigger.

Here is a link to some info: http://www.ocyoung.com/SmithWesson.htm

Onmilo
February 16, 2010, 03:44 PM
Fitting a set of S&W grips to a Belgian revolver does not a Smith and Wesson make.
Look at the grips closely and you can see they are a poor fit.

I have not tried it and don't have a .44 double action available to check the fit, but am reasonably certain a single action guard would leave a substantial gap at the front of the grip frame if one could be fitted to a double action.

If you enjoyed reading about "I D this S & W looks old" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!