Are these worth this price?

PDA

rick spencer
February 9, 2010, 05:34 AM
:what:Let me start by saying i am by no means an expert on 1911's but this price seems a little outragous! http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/1911.asp Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful looking piece and i don't doubt their quality but, I would think you could get an original for that kinda money. I would definately hunt for an original before paying that much. just my humble opinion. What say you all?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are these worth this price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
legion3
February 9, 2010, 06:28 AM
Maybe if the old roll marks are important to you. Property of the US Navy is not a roll mark you see often.

I am not a 1911 guy but I have seen 1911's priced way more than that.

rick spencer
February 9, 2010, 07:02 AM
I realize Navy marks are rare and worth a higher premium but if i was willing to spend that amount of money i would think a person would save his money an find an original. I would think the investment would be better spent on the originals.

The Bushmaster
February 9, 2010, 09:39 AM
I'm in agreement, rick...

Strahley
February 9, 2010, 10:03 AM
No thanks

MIgunguy
February 9, 2010, 10:13 AM
For a repo??? No way!!

Sam Cade
February 9, 2010, 10:16 AM
I would love to have one...just so I could duracoat it OD green.:evil:

rick spencer
February 9, 2010, 07:13 PM
That is great!! Lmfao!!

Oro
February 9, 2010, 09:16 PM
The REAL problem with those guns isn't necessarily the price - it's the fact it's not remotely close to being an accurate repro of a 1911 military model. The slide stop is from a WWII or later gun, the frame and trigger from a 1924 or later model, and the grips are lose but still not right.

I could see paying for authenticity, but not for a half-baked job.

Oyeboten
February 10, 2010, 05:50 AM
Oro nailed it...

Stocks appear to be a sort of rendition of the Colt Model 1905 .45 Automatic Colt Pistol, and don't belong on a M1911, as well as all-the-rest of the issues.

As a 'collector's item', one has to wonder, who, in the future, would care about a hoaky not-correct, poorly machined-milled, repop of an Arm which has plenty of actual, minty, correct and 'real/actual' variations available any time one wants one, which have, do, and will appreciate in Value?

If I was after a 1911, on-a-budget, and had to live with it, rely on it, bet my Life on it, enjoy it for plinking or serious fun and Target, feed-anything, Carry it, or just as a cool keep-sake, I'd pass on that thing and go after a low-medium blue, carried often shot little, U S Property one from say 1917, even early '18...and have the honest, right integrity, real deal, reliable, durable, dead-earnest, authentic, no BS thing, and for less dough than this rendition.

The few of these I have seen in person, had some bad quality control issues also...even the ones on their web site not long ago, did...bad milling profiles on the frame, trigger area, for one...eeeeeeesh...if they are THAT 'bad' where it is conspicuous, Heaven knows what else lurks internally.

I figured they were made in India or something...

In fact, look closely at the one pictured in the image the OP's link goes to -

Look at the Frame area above the Trigger..and forward of there, front end of the Frame...

Also...it has the shooting-finger 'relief' behind the Trigger area of the Frame, which was a Model of 1911-A1 feature, and not a Model of 1911 feature.

What do they think they are trying to do?

Very poor/bad Machine Work of the Frame profile arund the Trigger area...goofy hodge-podge of unrelated features belonging to at least three various successive Models...

Dust Cover area of the Slide, the lower relieved area terminated wrong and too soon...

"United States Property" Roll/Stamp is not parallel to the Slide...and or is crooked...

The Slide's side Roll Stampings of Patents and so on, are also not parallel...tiling 'down' as they progress...

The 'rendition' is goofy/goofed-up, every which way.

Anyway...

Ugh...

Not a pleasure to behold...

If you enjoyed reading about "Are these worth this price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!