Talk me out of a S&W 22A

PDA

12coronas
February 9, 2010, 10:50 AM
My local shop has them on sale for $199 for the 5.5" blue barrel. I think that is a great price these days. Should I get one now or get a Ruger later? I have already bought 2 other guns this month so I should wait but maybe not.

I have searched and can't really find anything bad about the 22A but it seems that most prefer the Ruger and I like the idea of some of the aftermarket stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk me out of a S&W 22A" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jtheise4
February 9, 2010, 11:01 AM
Sorry, can't talk you out of it. I have one and it works great. Super accurate and as long as you run good quality ammo, it is trouble free. Fun and inexpensive way to shoot.

gordy
February 9, 2010, 11:08 AM
well I do not own a 22a but I have shot them at my range. They are a very good gun. I have a older S&W 422 and I like it much better. I bought mine brand new and have over 10,000 rounds threw it, I have replaced the firing pin. The rugers a a very good gun, they tend to be heavy. I have 2, a mark1 and a mark2. The grip angel is like a luger on the ruger. the s&w are like a colt 45. you can buy a ruger with the 45 angle. they are both good guns. it will come down to what you like. my old 422 I payed 175$ nib in 1986 and I could sell it for 250 now. you do not see that many used S&W on the market and you can always find rugers used. If that tells us any thing.

RonBernert
February 9, 2010, 11:45 AM
I've had the 22a and I sold it to buy a Ruger 22/45. 1911 grip angle, I very rarely disassemble it to clean it, and it just shoots better all the time... I have run THOUSANDS of rounds thru it and it has never skipped a beat. I just did not like the 22a nearly as much, and after I bought it, it was obvious that it would not last nearly as long as the Ruger. You will not regret buying the Ruger.

Steve 48
February 9, 2010, 11:49 AM
I have both ZRugers and S&W 22A's, for accuraccy, I carry the 22A, for just plinking, my first choice is the 22A but I do bring the Ruger 22/45 and others.

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk me out of a S&W 22A" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!