Strangest or most out of place gun seen at a CCW class?

PDA

FIVETWOSEVEN
February 9, 2010, 08:25 PM
Its a fun thought that came to mind, haven't been to a CCW class so I have no experiance with this subject but what oddities have you seen at a CCW class?

If you enjoyed reading about "Strangest or most out of place gun seen at a CCW class?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EddieNFL
February 9, 2010, 08:41 PM
Desert Eagle.

oldgold
February 9, 2010, 08:56 PM
I taught CCw for a couple of years.

Single actions show up ocasionally. A five shot S&W top break in .32. An Ivers-Johnson .22 auto. S&W .44 mag in 6".
A Jennings.22.
A couple of Raven .25's.
An old, really nice, S&W snubie in .22 an older lady brought.
A few Hi-Points that people did really well with.

The Jennings and Raven people got loaners....

Oh yeah ,,,,,the one nut that brought a Bond Arms .38 derringer got a loaner too.

BossHogg
February 9, 2010, 09:02 PM
Mine, I qualified with a Beretta model 21 Bobcat. Everyone wanted to see that little mouse gun.

memphisjim
February 9, 2010, 09:05 PM
thats like driving a model t ford in drivers ed

Ala Dan
February 9, 2010, 09:41 PM
Probably the most unexpected handgun to show up on the firing range
during police qualification had too be a 6" barrel Arminus .357 magnum;
as carried by one of our park security officers. The RO in charge told
him to "get off the range and not come back, until you get yourself a
decent gun"; after the cylinder bound tightly, and could not be forced
open~! :scrutiny: :uhoh: :eek:

autospike
February 9, 2010, 09:58 PM
^

Hah... My dad had an Arminius .22 (convertible to .22 Mag).

It shot great... Until the barrel fell off. :eek:

FIVETWOSEVEN
February 9, 2010, 10:01 PM
I fiqured someone would say desert eagle

Bullnettles
February 9, 2010, 10:14 PM
What's wrong with a 1911 to the CC class? Many people carry them on a daily basis.

tunnug
February 9, 2010, 10:24 PM
To answer you Bullnettles - It's not black and made out of plastic.

Aka Zero
February 9, 2010, 10:33 PM
I haven't been yet. But I might take my 6" stainless single six for the revolver portion. Hate the idea of using a loaner gun I am not used to...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. It has a large 2.5-7x scope on it.

JellyJar
February 10, 2010, 12:24 AM
Did not see but heard of someone using a COP four barrel derringer type pistol in Texas a few years back.

I am not sure how they shot the five round string of fire.

mgjohn
February 10, 2010, 03:12 AM
30 Mauser broomhandle, Deset Eagle 44Mag, Raven 25 auto, AR pistol and single shot colt derringer.

lexjj
February 10, 2010, 03:50 AM
It's not black and made out of plastic.
It is in fact made of happy.

stangfan93
February 10, 2010, 04:19 AM
Desert eagle

Deus Machina
February 10, 2010, 07:47 AM
Someone in mine came in with what he later explained was his deer gun. A 6" or 8" .357, and he actually shot full-strength hunting loads out of it.

People's safety glasses were rattling.

He was in a wheelchair, so there's a little leeway, but I still have no idea how he'd conceal it.

Triggernosis
February 10, 2010, 08:48 AM
....but I still have no idea how he'd conceal it
Remember folks, it doesn't have to be packed tightly inside your waistband or in a pocket holster to be concealed. Everytime I go out to the farm in winter with my 6" .357 revolver, it's usually well-concealed under my coat.
Just sayin'....

Madcap_Magician
February 10, 2010, 10:30 AM
Guy came into a class I helped RSO for, and he had a Tanfoglio 10mm race gun.

woad_yurt
February 10, 2010, 11:37 AM
I did my class with a CZ 52.

jsg
February 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
I did mine with a Single Six. Have I ever carried it for defense... only from snakes and chipmunks. I did enjoy shooting a smiley face onto the target though. In KY there is no requirement for action type or caliber.

CoRoMo
February 10, 2010, 11:57 AM
Shooting/qualifying isn't beset upon us in Colorado, so many classes don't require you to bring a firearm. A lot of them specifically ask that you don't. My class required everyone to bring an unloaded handgun just to demonstrate the very most basic handling.

I thought it would be neat to take my .357 Blackhawk to the class, so I did.
One of the old fellas that were instructing the class, really perked up when he saw it. He even told me how he appreciated seeing it and said that he doesn't usually see them in class. It sort of made his day after seeing the usual subcompact, plastic fantastics, day in and day out.

kansersurvivor
February 10, 2010, 01:28 PM
I qual'ed with my S&W K22, as I thought the class was going to put emphasis on actually being accurate. It did not...and I wanted off the line ASAP. Kinda rattles you when you here a round go off after the "CEASE FIRE". :banghead:

Nothing specially old in my class. Most guns were new and had NOOB owners who cant read the manual. :confused::eek::uhoh:

EddieNFL
February 10, 2010, 01:34 PM
What's wrong with a 1911 to the CC class? Many people carry them on a daily basis.
But not everyone can or should. When my wife decided she needed to carry, I took her shopping. She asked why she couldn't just use one of my guns (all I have suitable for carry is 1911s). Other than they are MINE, she didn't have the experience. Bought her a Glock and she is content.

Maj.Striker
February 10, 2010, 04:12 PM
In my class we were told you had to bring a pistol or revolver .380 or larger, no .22LR, .25 or .32 and it had to have a magazine capacity of at least 5 rounds.
This was not a legal requirement (because Iowa isn't a "Shall Issue" state unfortunately) it was just a requirement of the people teaching the course.

One of the guys had an older big 6 inch .357 S&W revolver but he was getting his permit for professional work (night guard) so probably was the piece he was going to be carrying while at work. Of the entire class though about 75% were using either Smith & Wesson MPs or Springfield XDs. I remember all three gentlemen next to me were using S&W MPs. I qualified with my Tokarev TT33 because well,...I had lots of ammo for it and I didn't want to waste my good 9mm SD rounds on paper targets.

Trebor
February 10, 2010, 04:50 PM
I teach classes and I've seen a few interesting guns.

ASP 9mm pistol. This is a cut down S&W Model 39. The person shooting it was the Nephew of the gunsmith that did the actual conversion work for the ASP company that sold the pistols. The shooter had a few failures to feed, probably due to old springs.

Jennings 9mm. Several malfunctions until I pulled it from the class.

S&W Hand Eject 2nd Model in .38 Special. This shooter said the gun dated to 1912. It worked fine with his light reloads and he did know how to shoot it. I still wonder why he brought that gun, except maybe it was just for the heck of it.

I just had to tell a student in an upcoming class that he can NOT bring a Nagant revolver to use in the class. The very, very, slow reloading would slow the class down too much for everyboy else and that's not fair to the other students.

Other then that, can't think of too many oddball guns. Lots of Glocks, a few of pretty much anything else that's common. No other Jennings or Byrco's or anything else like that. No Hi Point's either, which kind of surprised me.

Tom Fury
February 10, 2010, 05:41 PM
Took my test with a Combat Commander;other guy (2 to a lane) was shooting a Beretta 92, guys next to us were shooting SIG's.

At the end, they wheeled out this older gentleman in a wheelchair, with a blanket over his lap: He throws up a 454 Casull long barrel and makes a very small single hole with it...

Cheers, TF

kgpcr
February 10, 2010, 10:56 PM
When i took my renewal class i took my ruger alaskan .454. The instructor was a guy i knew and he laughed. Everyone had to shoot it though. It was a lot of fun.

-v-
February 10, 2010, 11:12 PM
Some guy at my class came with a FN 5-7. TT33's in 7.62x25 are starting to show up more and more regularly at CCW classes around here too. I guess local thugs have started running around in flak vests or something...

Guy de Loimbard
February 10, 2010, 11:23 PM
Only two stood out to me when I took the class. An older gent brought with him a Jennings .22. He did not make it more than 2 rounds without having a jam. The other one I remember was the guy who brought a Ruger Blackhawk .44 Magnum, and used full power loads in it.

Jaxinc
February 10, 2010, 11:28 PM
I saw two desert eagle comments, I got one better.
Desert Eagle AE50 :l

Seriously? lol..................

Paints
February 11, 2010, 01:33 PM
I think a couple of people came to our class with old guns they had never fired. At least one would not work (a revolver IIRC), not even the range officers could get it to function.

mordechaianiliewicz
February 11, 2010, 03:58 PM
I don't find the TT-33 to be all that inappropriate. It is quite slim, and shoots a nice cartridge. All comments aside about it's "overpenetration" 9mm with FMJ will overpenetrate, and not too many people complain about 9mm pistols.

a4hawk
February 11, 2010, 04:07 PM
I shot mine with a Mod 36 S&W Chief's Special. When it came time for the range session of the course the young man acting as the range master commented to me as to where did I learn how to shoot like I did. I told him I had seen it on the television. Kidding aside, being a retired Police Officer in my state I'm not required to attend a CCW permit class but I figure the more info you have and more legal paper work you carry is always best if it should ever come to the point of useing the firearm to protect yourself or someone else. As to the 1 7/8" Mod.36, I feel comfortable with the self defense ammo available on the market today. Also since most confrontations take place between 3 5 and 7 yards the gun will do it's job if I do mine.

OldCavSoldier
February 11, 2010, 04:26 PM
Took my first CCW proficiency test with an S&W M28 with a 6-inch barrel. (It was the only pistol I owned at the time, and, yes, it did conceal quite nicely in my Bianchi shoulder rig, while wearing cool and cold weather clothing.) After about 1977, all my proficiency tests were taken with a Colt Combat Commander.

The "waaaay coolest" handgun I have seen brought to a CCW proficiency class was a mint (yes, NIB, zero rounds ever fired from it) Colt Python with a 4 inch barrel that the 20-something year old fellow attending the class had inherited from his grandfather. He also brought some vintage FBI load ammunition in the original boxes. The other fellows in the course did manage to convince him to not shoot the ammo (due to its being so rare and valuable), and gave him .38SPL to use to qualify with. This was after he convinced everybody that he really did want to shoot the Python...even though it was worth north of about $1500. The kid was a natural...after only about two cylinders, his groups double action were silver-dollar size at 7 yards and smaller closer in.

Evil One
February 11, 2010, 04:26 PM
But not everyone can or should. When my wife decided she needed to carry, I took her shopping. She asked why she couldn't just use one of my guns (all I have suitable for carry is 1911s). Other than they are MINE, she didn't have the experience. Bought her a Glock and she is content.
OR... you could have taught her to use and carry a 1911.
I know... bold concept...
Nevermind...
:D

Jim

TehK1w1
February 11, 2010, 06:24 PM
At my CHL class, one of the guys brought a WW1 vintage 1911, (with a half-box of similar-vintage ammo) and proceeded to show everyone there that he had no business owning, much less carrying it.

Erik M
February 11, 2010, 07:48 PM
A scoped .44 magnum. The target was 21 feet away.

wrs840
February 11, 2010, 08:19 PM
My Dad's POS .380 that jammed every-other shot.

Dad and two of my brothers and I did our CCW training at the same time. One brother with a 1911, one with a 92F, me with a BHP. The instructor was pleased with those and commented as such. On the five shot string I put two in the chest and three in the head of the silhouette. The instructor turned around laughing and asked if I "did that on purpose". I stammered.... uh... Yeah! :D

I still have that target. The instructor wrote encouraging words of kudos on it with a big Sharpie. It was luck. I'm honestly not that good of a shot.

Les

Glock Holiday
February 12, 2010, 08:22 PM
$3600 Wilson Custom 1911 (I asked him) and a $88 dollar Jennings (just guessing what she paid) in the lanes to my left and right respectively.

Wilson ran like a top and Jennings .22 jammed ever two or three rounds.

The Lone Haranguer
February 12, 2010, 08:25 PM
A little .22 pocket pistol, make unknown. It seldom fired more than two consecutive shots. Under AZ's very generous time limit, he managed to qualify with the thing, but I overheard the instructor advise him to get a better gun.

jad0110
February 13, 2010, 12:57 AM
Kinda rattles you when you here a round go off after the "CEASE FIRE".

Trust me, you'd be even more rattled if that shot fired after the cease fire struck the person's foot who shot it - standing 2 feet from you. Ask me how I know this. :eek:

Airburst
February 13, 2010, 01:31 AM
Ruger single action in 44 mag.

Borch
February 13, 2010, 02:15 AM
Bushmaster AR pistol with 3 20 round mags and an EO Tech holosight. The guy had a custom shoulder rig made for it. The gun rode under his firing hand on a retractable leash with the spare mags under his weak arm riding just above waist height.

According to him that was his intended primary EDC, he also mentioned that he planned on carrying a Glock 22 with 3 mags on his hip as a "back up gun."

He was very tacticool, right down to the "tactical vest" with 2,000 thousand pockets that absolutely screamed, "I'm carrying a gun of some kind under here!"

UpTheIrons
February 13, 2010, 02:35 PM
OR... you could have taught her to use and carry a 1911.
I know... bold concept...
Nevermind...
:D

Jim

Yes. This.

My wife took to the 1911 platfrom like a duck to water. She still will not pick up a .38 snub unless she has to.She only shoots the revo because I make her stay up on it since it is the bedside gun. She'd much rather shoot (and carry) a 1911. Plus, she shoots better than me with it. :what:

Zundfolge
February 13, 2010, 03:43 PM
At my CCW class we were told "absolutely no magnums", the idea being that they were too disruptive to the other students (especially beginners).

Nothing real odd in the class ... one older lady in the class brought in a beautifully engraved 1st Edition Detective Special sporting vintage ivory stocks (and she shot pretty well with it too).

Cactus Jack Arizona
February 14, 2010, 03:49 PM
There was an older gent that I watched struggle with an ever-jamming Kel-Tec. Every two or three rounds he'd have to fiddle with the slide. Also, there was a middle-aged woman who bought a cheap jam-o-matic .22 semi. That pistol didn't cut it and she had to be given a loaner.

welldoya
February 14, 2010, 04:35 PM
I qualified with my Ruger MKll bull barrel .22 just because I wanted to do well and I shoot it better than any handgun I own.

Mp7
February 14, 2010, 05:04 PM
This is funny!

can someone photoshop a sign
for CCW classes:

NO NAGANTS - NO KRINKS (please.)

heck if in KY anything goes ...
.. iŽd bring a full dozen identical
.45 muzzleloader pistols
(wearing a cylinder and all ...)

Silent Bob
February 15, 2010, 04:11 PM
Not a Concealed carry class, but I once saw a security guard of some sort (may have been an armored car guard) carrying a Tokarev in what looked like a Uncle Mike's nylon holster. This was back in the '90s, the Toks are decent guns but not what I would think of as a modern duty gun (probably all the guy could afford on a security guard's wage, I highly doubt the company issued it to him)

At my CHL class, an older man in a wheel chair brought some sort of high-end, tightly-fitted 1911 that he had not shot yet and was not broke in; it malfunctioned every few rounds and irritated the instructor (he also managed to shoot the target of the person next to him). The instructor made a point out of it to tell us to make sure that our guns were properly broke in before relying on them for personal defense.

isp2605
February 15, 2010, 07:24 PM
1914 Mauser in 7.65. His dad had brought it back from WWII.

S&W-Keeper
February 15, 2010, 10:46 PM
I saw some time back, a person at my range take the cc class with a 99.9% mint blue Colt Python. Every time he pulled it out of the leather holster to shoot it I cringed.Mint Pythons do not belong in a holster.

Morrell
February 15, 2010, 11:31 PM
Not very odd, but I used a cz82 for my ccw class. It got some looks as most others were using glocks

wojownik
February 15, 2010, 11:57 PM
Broomhandle mauser
Nagant pistol
Colt 1860 repro (the gent was told to come back another day - indoor range, no BP pistols allowed)

Brien Crotty
February 16, 2010, 01:08 AM
I taught some classes years ago, and saw every manner of gun walk in the door. The strangest or most out of place was a blackpowder repro SAA. It was a small class, at a range which allowed it, so I permitted it for the class after discussing it with the other students, and I'm glad I did. The shooter was in his sixties, and hadn't been shooting in over 40 years. He had a blast, and the rest of the class enjoyed learning about the quite different gun than the stable of glocks that were otherwise present. He shot surprisingly well with it (though obviously reloads were an issue!).

B

Realbigo
February 16, 2010, 03:13 AM
When qualifying as an Armed Security Officer, I once shot the course using a S&W Mod 60. Not that unusual except the RO told me I wouldn't be able to reload fast enough to get my rounds down range to qualify. I took that as a challenge, and met it.Didn't do as well as I did w/ my 1911 or BHP clone, but I still passed it, on the high side of the scores

WardenWolf
February 16, 2010, 05:58 AM
In my class we were told you had to bring a pistol or revolver .380 or larger, no .22LR, .25 or .32 and it had to have a magazine capacity of at least 5 rounds.
This was not a legal requirement (because Iowa isn't a "Shall Issue" state unfortunately) it was just a requirement of the people teaching the course.

One of the guys had an older big 6 inch .357 S&W revolver but he was getting his permit for professional work (night guard) so probably was the piece he was going to be carrying while at work. Of the entire class though about 75% were using either Smith & Wesson MPs or Springfield XDs. I remember all three gentlemen next to me were using S&W MPs. I qualified with my Tokarev TT33 because well,...I had lots of ammo for it and I didn't want to waste my good 9mm SD rounds on paper targets.

I also qualified with a Tokarev pistol. In Arizona, there's no restrictions on caliber used for qualification. I thought it would be fun to use my Romanian Tokarev TTC. I shot a nice pattern with it using S&B ammo. When I carry the Tokarev for defense, I have it loaded with Wolf hollowpoints. I've seen the ballistic tests on those rounds, and they expand very effectively. My father used my Ruger Mark III, but I wanted to use something a bit different and a bit more practical for everyday use.

trickyasafox
February 16, 2010, 11:52 AM
I took a defensive shooting class (not a CCW requirement) last year.

Plastic ruled the day. I shot a full sized government- out of the 30 or so people, I was one of two with a 1911 style gun. only less frequent gun there was the lone revolver shooter with a smith 686.

MagnumDweeb
February 16, 2010, 01:38 PM
CZ 82s, Baikal Makarovs, Nagant Revolvers, Lugers, Walther P-38s, Tokarevs(although not so odd now as I have come to love them for what they are), CZ 70s(the little .32 acp walther look alikes), and all manner of European made gun. Had a nice older fellow who was all about black powder bring in a Remington BP cap-and-ball that he had shortened to 3"(he shot better than most of the other folks so I couldn't well complain, to be safe I had him shoot my S&W M19-4 6" just to be safe on the actual requirements).

Most folks in my classes are total newbs taking an NRA First Steps Pistol to satisfy their CWP application requirements. So I provide a wide variety of firearms and love it when folks realize there are good guns besides S&W and Glock. Heck you say Ruger and half the time they think you said Luger, my southern accent isn't that thick.

RonBernert
February 17, 2010, 12:38 PM
Took my first CCW proficiency test with an S&W M28 with a 6-inch barrel. (It was the only pistol I owned at the time, and, yes, it did conceal quite nicely in my Bianchi shoulder rig, while wearing cool and cold weather clothing.) After about 1977, all my proficiency tests were taken with a Colt Combat Commander.

The "waaaay coolest" handgun I have seen brought to a CCW proficiency class was a mint (yes, NIB, zero rounds ever fired from it) Colt Python with a 4 inch barrel that the 20-something year old fellow attending the class had inherited from his grandfather. He also brought some vintage FBI load ammunition in the original boxes. The other fellows in the course did manage to convince him to not shoot the ammo (due to its being so rare and valuable), and gave him .38SPL to use to qualify with. This was after he convinced everybody that he really did want to shoot the Python...even though it was worth north of about $1500. The kid was a natural...after only about two cylinders, his groups double action were silver-dollar size at 7 yards and smaller closer in.
That is funny! Actually, the CCW class I attended had a few neat ones.. One small framed lady brought a .44 Mag S&W model 29. She dropped it. Twice.... Loaded.... and the other was a similar story, but it was a widow who brought her deceased husband's unfired-new-in-the-original-box (gasp) model 16 Smith & Wesson. Absolutely flawless gun wrapped in it's original wax paper. She was having trouble finding ammunition for it, but brought the gun anyway. The instructor and I helped her wipe down and re-wrap the gun so she could shoot my Ruger model 22/45 for the rest of the day...

Tully M. Pick
February 17, 2010, 01:15 PM
It is in fact made of happy.

This is in fact only partially correct. The 1911 is made of happy and booms in nearly equal parts.

funkychinaman
February 17, 2010, 03:45 PM
Mike, wouldn't a Tokarev be technically smaller than .380?

WardenWolf
February 17, 2010, 11:02 PM
In terms of diameter, yes, but the 7.62x25 round is a high-velocity round more comparable in power to .40. A 7.62x25 hollowpoint round will mushroom to .45 on impact and still get optimum penetration, and a 7.62x25 FMJ round will defeat a level 2 vest. You can rebarrel a Tokarev to 9mm, but the 9mm round is a kitten compared to the 7.62 round it was designed to fire.

230therapy
February 17, 2010, 11:29 PM
The LOADED one some guy pulled out of a bag.

"It's not loaded!" he said as he ejected a live round.

Deltaboy
February 17, 2010, 11:43 PM
9mm Luger

http://www.carols62.com/luger/luger02.jpg

farscott
March 18, 2010, 04:51 PM
When my father lived in Las Vegas, he had to qualify with the guns on his permit. I had given him a SIG P226 in 9x19 as a gift, and he wanted to qualify with that. Since I was in town with him, I went to the range with him so he could qualify with his new SIG.

Being Las Vegas, there are some characters and some unique guns. One shooter, dressed in expensive western-style clothing, showed up with a Freedom Arms Model 83 in .454 Casull. Not too weird, except this was the limited production three-inch model with no ejector. It also had some gorgeous ivory grips on it. I shoot .454 Casull in FAs but not on an indoor range -- and not with a three-inch barrel. I thought he might shoot .45 Colt for qualification, but I was sorely mistaken. The muzzle blast was concussive. He also shot very small groups with it.

The Bushmaster
March 18, 2010, 05:58 PM
In Missouri you have to qualify with both a revolver and a semi-auto. My wife just qualified with her mod 10-5 [2"] and my Woodsman.

SharpsDressedMan
March 18, 2010, 06:10 PM
In Ohio, you need not qualifiy with a CCW weapon, so any handgun capable of firing five or more shots is fine. I have seen about everything, from .22's, .25's, to .454's. .44 Mags with full loads are pretty much the upper end spectrum, and we've had a few long barreled ones. Pricewise, we have had $49 Ravens & Rohm revolvers, to HK MK23's and Elites. No Sig 210's yet. Shooters must shoot 3 separate five shot groups, so high capacity is meaningless. Lots of people bring .22's just to make the qualification easier. They don't try to train on their carry gun, just qualify.

BlayGlock
March 18, 2010, 06:14 PM
You cant use anything smaller than a .32 in Texas to qualify.

Skillet
March 18, 2010, 07:17 PM
My dad took it with a Taurus PT1911.

I'm gonna take it with a CZ-PO1 with CT lasers (I need to get it first)

USAFRetired
March 18, 2010, 08:27 PM
This is in fact only partially correct. The 1911 is made of happy and booms in nearly equal parts.

With a side of carbon steel and rosewood goodness. Yummy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Strangest or most out of place gun seen at a CCW class?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!