A Glock offer too good to refuse...

PDA

FMF
February 10, 2010, 12:34 AM
I've been trying to decide what hi-cap .45 pistol I would buy for a while now. It came down to all the popular choices: S&W MP45, XD45, FNP45 and other polymers like them. So long as it had "45" and a double stack mag I was interested. So on a whim I took a trip to a few gun stores last weekend and came across an offer I couldn't refuse: A Glock 21 RTF2.

She was hiding low in the rear of the glass case and was the only one on the shelf. The clerk was quick to point out that it was a "Law Enforcement Only" model which was cheaper than the "civilian" model and came with an extra mag. Well it was my lucky day: I'm Active Duty military!

It was marked $495 :eek:. I couldn't throw money at the guy fast enough.

And of course the obligatory pictures:

Wow, 13+1 rounds of .45. and it's only 2lb 6oz fully loaded?
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1309/glock2.jpg

I think it's gonna make my TRS a little jealous (a 1911/Glock owner? Blasphemy :evil:):
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2545/glock3.jpg

We've had some nasty weather as of late so I haven't shot it yet. I'm itching to see how it does. I hear it's a fairly soft shooting gun and capable of excellent accuracy. I've got another Crossbreed SuperTuck on the way for it and can't wait to see how it carries. My 1911 carries like a champ and is heavier so I think I'll be pleased with the Glock even if it is a tad wider. At the LEO prices that Glock has I think I'll be buying a few more :D

If you enjoyed reading about "A Glock offer too good to refuse..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Taurus_9mm
February 10, 2010, 12:40 AM
Congratulations on your purchase! I've been thinking of a Glock 21 as well. I recently added a Glock 22 but I'd like the 21 to use when I'm not using my XD 45 ACP Tactical which sees the most trigger time. :)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 10, 2010, 01:14 AM
I think it's gonna make my TRS a little jealous

Are you kidding me? That's like saying Denise Richards would be jealous of Rosie O'Donnell. :p

Congrats, though!

Ben86
February 10, 2010, 01:19 AM
Nice choice. I'm not a big fan of the new ruff texture frame, I didn't think glock could make a more uncomfortable texture, but they did. However the Glock 21 is one of my favorite .45s. The recoil is surprisingly soft, accuracy is great.

Nick5182
February 10, 2010, 01:25 AM
I think that was a great buy. I had no clue that they even offered the 21 with the RTF frame.

dayid
February 10, 2010, 01:33 AM
The clerk was quick to point out that it was a "Law Enforcement Only" model
Huh? Do you live where there're magazine capacity limits or something? If not, what does this mean?

W.E.G.
February 10, 2010, 01:40 AM
Blue-Label Glocks.

Glock "public safety" discount.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337881

Nick5182
February 10, 2010, 01:47 AM
I couldn't say whether or not your TRS is jealous of your Glock...But I sure as heck am!

Full Metal Jacket
February 10, 2010, 01:57 AM
is that g21 rtf2 also an SF?

congrats, great pistol :)

FMF
February 10, 2010, 02:25 AM
Indeed it is an SF! And I honestly don't think the RTF2 is rough enough. My VZ grips are just grippy enough for my bare hands. What can I say? I like it rough.

I think the TRS is jealous he doesn't have another high-class friend with whom to discuss the international stock markets. It's more akin to Oppenheimer making small talk with the Slap Chop guy.

No mag caps here in good ol' Arkansas. Like W.E.G. said, it's a Blue-Label Glock. Excise tax is paid by Glock.

Full Metal Jacket
February 10, 2010, 02:46 AM
^^^no way! that rules! i want one to compliment my g19 rtf2! :)

i'm with ya on the VZ grips too. all my 1911's have VZ g10 aliens and operators which are more aggressive than the rtf2 texture.

great minds think alike lol :)

smartshooter.45
February 10, 2010, 03:48 AM
I couldn't throw money at the guy fast enough.

made me laugh pretty hard. im picturing you "makin it rain" haha

memphisjim
February 10, 2010, 04:09 AM
wow not rough enough?
i held a 19 with that grip pattern seems like youd bleed after a few mags

Full Metal Jacket
February 10, 2010, 04:53 AM
^^^i don't know where all these rumors about the rtf2's got started lol.

people say they make your hands bleed, or they're not for concealed carry because they snag your clothes.

neither is true.

my g19 rtf2 doesn't cause the slightest bit of discomfort with extended range sessions for me or my girlfriend. doesn't even snag my fleece jacket when i carry.

Starcheck55
February 10, 2010, 10:23 AM
So what is going to hurt you hand more...the grip texture or the KB ?

:evil::evil::evil:

Ben86
February 10, 2010, 12:03 PM
To me the grip feels somewhat like a cylindrical porcupine.

Sapper771
February 11, 2010, 01:19 AM
Congrats on an excellent purchase!

VicVen
February 11, 2010, 02:01 AM
I bought mine on Monday $460. These are an overrun of an order for the Arkansas State Police and released only through the Blue Label (Law Enforcement) program to select Glock dealers while they last.

I am a Commercial Pilot and qualify for the discount under the Homeland Security program.

BTW... It takes 13+1 not 14+1 ;)

I took a few pictures last night :D Here are a couple:

http://files.me.com/heli/4kb7xd

http://files.me.com/heli/hoxmnd

Here it is with the family!

http://files.me.com/heli/jg6bdn

I'm very pleased with this gun!
:)

FMF
February 11, 2010, 02:34 AM
BTW... It takes 13+1 not 14+1

a slip of the finger when typing, lol. An over run, you say? Glad I lucked out and snagged one up. If you're in LR we'll have to meet up for a range session sometime. The on-base range at Camp Robinson is nice and I know a few people with houses in the county if you don't already have a personal range.

Excellent TLR-2. I have the same mounted on my 21, as well.

I fly out of LIT all the time (when it's not on a C-130). Would you happen to be a pilot for one of the airlines from there?

possum
February 11, 2010, 02:58 AM
Congrats, good gun and a good buy, and the leo/ mil/ public safety discount is an awesome program. hope you enjoy it, it will serve you well.

A1Fiddler
February 11, 2010, 12:43 PM
Nice choice! I handled an RTF2 grip at a gun store recently and didn't care for it at all, but I love my Glock 21!

okespe04
February 11, 2010, 01:45 PM
Also a 1911/Glock Owner/Lover

Watch for the known issue of failure to feed on the 2nd round when loaded 13+1. My G21 sf did that all the time. Not bashing Glocks, I love my G19.

Nice gun, I liked my G21 a lot but I did get rid of it due to that 1 issue. Enjoy and shoot it a lot.

A1Fiddler
February 11, 2010, 07:33 PM
Also a 1911/Glock Owner/Lover

Watch for the known issue of failure to feed on the 2nd round when loaded 13+1. My G21 sf did that all the time. Not bashing Glocks, I love my G19.

Nice gun, I liked my G21 a lot but I did get rid of it due to that 1 issue. Enjoy and shoot it a lot.
Seriously? I haven't tested my new 13rd mag yet. I've never heard of this happening. Is it a common problem as far as you know?

leadcounsel
February 12, 2010, 01:22 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but many companies, including Glock directly and OMB guns sells to active duty military and LEO for between $400 - 440 plus shipping and then your FFL transfer on your end... ends up being around $430 for a new Glock 9mm or .40, or a few $ more for a .45 or 10mm.

I got a G21 with my name and unit engraved, shipped, FFL etc for around $460 total and a G26 with factory night sites for like $450, both with OD green frames (hard to find in shops).

Sorry bro... but welcome to the Glock club. They are addictive!

Full Metal Jacket
February 12, 2010, 01:31 AM
stop taking pictures of it! i can't afford another gun after the recent EMP purchase!! lol ;)

FMF
February 12, 2010, 04:34 AM
no bubbles burst here. I'm glad I didn't have to pay $580 for the civi model and not get the extra mag. Next time I'll be on the look out for the lower prices. Are there any online dealers that have those low prices posted? Budspolicesupply even has them at $495 shipped.

bds
February 12, 2010, 04:45 AM
VicVen: Here it is with the family!

What a nice setup to snuggle to at night ... You feel safe enough? :D

leadcounsel
February 12, 2010, 12:51 PM
FMF - check out www.ombguns.com

Active military and police get the officer price discount, which is $400 for small caliber Glocks and around $440 for larger calibers.

David E
February 12, 2010, 02:43 PM
i don't know where all these rumors about the rtf2's got started lol.

people say they make your hands bleed, or they're not for concealed carry because they snag your clothes.

neither is true.

Both are true of the ***-1 texture, however.

I mean, the "RTF-1" texture......

Enachos
February 12, 2010, 02:50 PM
That is one hell of a deal! Congrats on the purchase!

VicVen
February 13, 2010, 03:15 PM
a slip of the finger when typing, lol. An over run, you say? Glad I lucked out and snagged one up. If you're in LR we'll have to meet up for a range session sometime. The on-base range at Camp Robinson is nice and I know a few people with houses in the county if you don't already have a personal range.

Excellent TLR-2. I have the same mounted on my 21, as well.

I fly out of LIT all the time (when it's not on a C-130). Would you happen to be a pilot for one of the airlines from there?

I used to fly for a major airline until Sep. 2001, when everything changed :mad: Now I fly part time and I'm also a Flight Instructor. I now live in Connecticut, and mostly fly up in the Northeast. If I ever stop by LR again, I'll email you!! Enjoy your 21!
:)

sparkyfender
February 13, 2010, 03:20 PM
I find the 21 to be a very "large" but very reassuring handgun.

Enjoy!

VicVen
February 13, 2010, 03:24 PM
What a nice setup to snuggle to at night ... You feel safe enough? :D

Ha! I guess... but it has never been about safety for me. I just love the technology that goes into the manufacturing of weapons, I love shooting them and reading about them. I guess you can call it a hobby!

But having said that... I strongly believe that anyone with a carry permit should carry ALL THE TIME. I wish all good citizens would be armed and ready to fight the bad guys. There is only 1 police officer for every 300,000 citizens. They do an amazing job, but can't be everywhere all the time.

We all need each other! :D

hadmanysons
February 15, 2010, 11:28 PM
She sure shoots nice!

bondmid003
February 16, 2010, 06:02 PM
Congrats on the purchase, I recently purchased a Glock 20 myself

hawk45
February 16, 2010, 06:58 PM
Very nice! I thought the RTF was going to have the interchangeable backstraps??

Sapper771
February 16, 2010, 08:32 PM
The Gen 4's are the only ones that have the interchangeable backstraps right now. The RTF2 is the "prickly" style grip texture.
RTF3 is the new texture on the Gen 4's.
I had an RTF2 G17 and I liked the texture. I have rough hands so the RTF2 was perfect for me. I did have an issue with the texture roughing up my cotton under shirts when I carried it IWB. Other than that, it was great.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Glock offer too good to refuse..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!