Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec...Why?

PDA

heeler
February 10, 2010, 09:11 AM
These two little pistols pretty much for now at least hold the popularity spot for small pocket pistols used for CCW.
Both are priced very closely to one another with the Kel-Tec probably running around 25-30.00 cheaper.
So those among you have made one of these your final choice I ask what it was that convinced you to buy one over the other.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec...Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oldpal
February 10, 2010, 10:03 AM
I have over a dozen Ruger firearms including rifles, pistols and shotguns and have been pleased with them. I bought the Ruger LCP because of Ruger's reputation. Also the LCP slide can be locked open which is a big benefit when cleaning. I do have some friends that own the P3AT and are happy with their Kel-Tec.

Hugh

Nasty
February 10, 2010, 10:12 AM
I don't own either...

That said, I would choose Kel-tec first because it was *their* design and secondly because of how Bill Ruger sold us out on magazine capacity.

I know...he's dead...but his family still gains from every new sale and as much as I like Rugers, can't get the taste of his betrayal out of my mouth.

X-Rap
February 10, 2010, 10:18 AM
I have dozens of Rugers but bought the Kel Tech before Ruger produced its copy. My dad has a LCP with the lazer and likes it. They both are reliable with factory and reloads so there really is very little difference.
I would still buy the KT though.
What ever Bill Ruger did wrong he also revolutionized the gun making business and put more guns in more hands than most makers have done in his short period of time. That fact seems to be lost at times.

PT1911
February 10, 2010, 10:20 AM
Kel tec.... their design and they actually have a lifetime warranty..... ruger comes with a promise.Sort of..????.. If you want a slide stop... get a Taurus TCP.. original design and actuallyhas a functioning slide stop...oh, and a lifetime warranty.

Just One Shot
February 10, 2010, 11:09 AM
I checked out both months ago and went with the LCP.

It has better fit and finish and I like the slide lock.

As far as it being a copy, why aren't those of you who are whinning about Ruger doing the same about all the 1911 copy cats?

:confused:

MCgunner
February 10, 2010, 11:12 AM
I like both. It would depend on price and availability with me. I'd be tempted by the LCP because it'd be my 8th Ruger, but then, my Kel Tec P11 has been awesome and continues to be. If I could get the P3AT 20 bucks cheaper, I might go that route. 40 bucks and I'm a Kel Tec guy. :D Equal price, I'll pick the Ruger.

If I get a baby .380, though, it's probably going to be a Taurus TCP M738. STAINLESS and the slide locks back on the last round which is what a slide lock is supposed to do. That would be my 4th Taurus and first Taurus auto.

Ben86
February 10, 2010, 11:17 AM
"They copied Kel-Tec." Yeah, and you know what? They made a better version. I went with the LCP because it is more refined. It is more comfortable to shoot, has slightly better sights, a slide lock and from what I hear feeds a wider range of ammunition. Kel-tec also seems to have more quality control issues than Ruger.

Honestly though, if I were to buy another .380 I'd go with either the Taurus TCP or the Kahr P380 if I felt like paying more for better sights.

StarDust1
February 10, 2010, 11:20 AM
"Hmm" lets see, the one that works vs the one thats under perpetual factory recall, is this a trick question?

heeler
February 10, 2010, 11:25 AM
Not a trick question at all Stardust.
I know the Ruger had a recall but what was the Kel-Tec's issue??
Have not heard about that but then again I am fairly new at handguns as most of my life my hands held long guns when it was firearms time.

Strahley
February 10, 2010, 11:29 AM
I'd go with the Kel-Tec for a couple reasons

1) i wouldn't take .380 over 9mm
2) dont like Ruger

Ben86
February 10, 2010, 11:29 AM
Sure Ruger has had some recalls, but those were initial safety design flaws, not quality control issues.

jsg
February 10, 2010, 11:51 AM
I have had the Keltec for a long time. So long that it was only offered in 32 when I got it. If I had to replace it today, I would probably get the Ruger if I went 380 due to fit and finish. I have had zero problems with the Keltec.

19-3Ben
February 10, 2010, 11:59 AM
I checked out both and went with the Ruger because for $25 difference, you are getting much more than $25 worth of fit/finish difference. The Ruger is very noticeably smoother.

In my experience it is also more reliable than the P3AT. I went to the range with a buddy and I shot my LCP while he shot his P3AT. He brought along some old Russian surplus garbage ammo. Steel cases washed in copper, Cyrillic all over the box, etc...
He said his P3AT can't shoot it worth a darn. he was right. He got about 2 FTF/FTE out of each mag.
I traded him the two boxes of Russian stuff for two boxes of S&B .380 that I had brought along. I shot the remaining ~85 rounds of Russian stuff without a single malf of any kind in the LCP.

Edit: I want to be clear, I have absolutely nothing against the KT. I just preferred the Ruger, and found the differences to be well worth the $25.

heeler
February 10, 2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks Ben.
That's a good example of real world sort of reasoning I was asking for.

Warhawk83
February 10, 2010, 12:16 PM
I own the LCP and have handled several Kel-Tecs. LCP hands down, the quality is miles ahead with the Ruger. The Kel-Tec just feels cheap. Now here is the kicker, I wouldn't buy the LCP again, can't find any ammo. So if you get a Kel-Tec get the Pf-9 or 11.

heeler
February 10, 2010, 12:21 PM
That's weird Warhawk cause i recently bought 250 rds of WWB 380 and saw plenty at an Academy by my job.
Not sure if Monarch is good ammo or not.

Just One Shot
February 10, 2010, 12:57 PM
Strahley I'd go with the Kel-Tec for a couple reasons

1) i wouldn't take .380 over 9mm
2) dont like Ruger

They're both .380's.
:scrutiny:

Avizpls
February 10, 2010, 12:58 PM
I dont like copy cat bitches unless its a mil-spec design (AR, 1911, etc)

I would choose Kel-tec primarily because it was *their* design and secondly because of how Bill Ruger sold us out on magazine capacity.

Ruger is shady to me.

MICHAEL T
February 10, 2010, 01:23 PM
I have 4 Kel Tec no Ruger's All my KT have worked perfect from first day.

MachIVshooter
February 10, 2010, 01:26 PM
Kel-Tec. Better company, period. And they're so innovative, I'd rather send my money to them so they can keep developing and producing neat stuff. I love my PLR-16's, and can't wait to get my hands on an RFB and PMR-30.

Occam's Razor
February 10, 2010, 01:44 PM
Haven't had to use Kel-Tec's service department myself but I have heard a lot of good things about their service.

Steve 48
February 10, 2010, 03:19 PM
My P3AT shoots just fine. It's the brass that is kind of beat up if your a reloader.

Tully M. Pick
February 10, 2010, 03:24 PM
Sure Ruger has had some recalls, but those were initial safety design flaws, not quality control issues.
I guess they should have copied the design better when they stole it.

heeler
February 10, 2010, 03:28 PM
If the design was stolen why did Kel-Tec not take them to court.
Last I heard patent infringement can cost a company a lot of money....Unless it's a Communist Chinese company as they never met a patent they would honor.

Nasty
February 10, 2010, 05:29 PM
Heeler - In court, it would come down to Kel-tec's bankroll vs. Ruger's bankroll. Who do you think would outlast the other?

Just One Shot - The 1911 was a 1911 design...almost 100 years ago, the patents are long expired. Ruger stole directly from working Americans.

Ben 86 - A better version? Kel-Tec never had to recall theirs, only offered owners outstanding service and support.

x-Rap - Put guns in people's hands? What he did was take high capacity mags out of their guns. Bill Ruger spent the money earned from selling guns to go to Congress with the base idea of limiting citizens to magazine capacities they could be trusted with. He was a traitor to the Constitution...I for one refuse to support his family in anyway. Might as well send money to Jane Fonda.

There...got all that off my chest.

SOUTHPAW
February 10, 2010, 05:43 PM
I have a Kel-Tec P3AT. I bought it because when I was ready to buy, all of the LCP's were out on recall. :( I agree the LCP has a more refined look/fit and finish, and the slide lock is nice. Either way to be this gun is nothing more than a tool anyway so I'm just as happy with my P3AT.

BTW, I love my Ruger SP101 and would probably pick up a post-recall LCP if I found a cheap one or ever needed to replace my Kel-Tec... :cool:

LightningMan
February 10, 2010, 06:30 PM
I have both, as I bought the Kel-Tec before Ruger came out with the LCP. I found a good deal on a LCP, $275 and went for it. For comparisions they both shoot what I have feed them, and both accurate at 7 yards. Although the sights of either leave much to be desired, but the KT seems to have a tiny bit better sights, as I can find them a tad bit easier. Ruger wins the looks & fit/finnish dept. hands down, and the slide lock is IMO a nice feature, which is a plus. Both have been winners in my book. LM

DeepSouth
February 10, 2010, 07:09 PM
Go look at them, side by side if possible. Then you will buy the Ruger.

SwampWolf
February 10, 2010, 07:27 PM
You can only obtain a patent if your design is unique. There's nothing unique about the design of the KelTec; ergo, they did not patent it because they could not patent an age-old design. I chose the Ruger because, for the extra $25.00 or so, I got a better finished pistol, equipped with a convenient slide hold-open device from a company that I trust.

Girodin
February 10, 2010, 07:39 PM
Ben 86 - A better version? Kel-Tec never had to recall theirs

Ruger cared that there were guns out there with there name on them that had a safety defect Kel tec didn't see a need to adress the problem retroactively. I don't see that as making Kel tec a better company or the LCP a worse product.

When I bought an LCP I handled it and the P3AT side by side, stripped them down etc. There was a $10 price difference $240 vs $250. The Ruger just seemed better made and finished in every respect. The slide stop was a nice bonus. The choice for me was a very easy one. If the price difference was greater say 240 vs 340 then I would have given the Kel Tec much more serious consideration.

I consider the LCP/P3AT to be a BUG or a deep concealment gun. That said I still have (and am continuing to) practiced and drilled with it and tried to become proficient in its use. My LCP has been functioned flawlessly with Hornady Critical defense and various other FMJ rounds. I'm not sure what other JHPs I've put through it but it has been 100% reliable thus far with everything its shot.

wrs840
February 10, 2010, 07:48 PM
I own a LCP. My brother bought a LCP the same day I did, but had already owned a P3AT for several months. He thinks they are so similar they could have been produced in the same factory, and has had no function problems with either. However, he prefers the LCP only because the P3AT's grip-checkering on his is so aggressive that it chews-up his hand if he shoots more than two mags through it. He bought a Crimson Trace LG-431 for his LCP and the P3AT sits in the safe.

Les

The Lone Haranguer
February 10, 2010, 08:06 PM
This cuts to the heart of the matter of whether the design was "stolen."
If the design was stolen why did Kel-Tec not take them to court.

IMO we would have heard it by now. Ruger also no doubt employs lawyers to do patent searches. It is clearly inspired by the Kel-Tec but is not a copy. I would prefer it, even at slightly greater cost, for better fit and finish.

Caliper_RWVA
February 10, 2010, 08:14 PM
They're both .380's.
:scrutiny:

I think he meant a PF9, because the OP didn't specify *which* Kel-Tec

I say this because my smart alecky response was going to be to go with the PF9 ;)

Honestly, after handling a P3AT, LCP and PF9, the PF9 is what I would most likely buy.

makarovnik
February 10, 2010, 08:19 PM
Meh, whatever is on sale.

m2steven
February 10, 2010, 08:25 PM
I chose the Ruger for it's known reliability when it was 100.00 more than the keltec. It IS reliable as rain, but it's painful to shoot. I never shoot it for pleasure, mostly just to remember how I need to hold it to get a 2nd shot off before I start cursing.

stanmo
February 10, 2010, 08:33 PM
I wanted a pocket gun and ended up with the PF-9. Yeah, you need a little bigger pocket, but for the same money as a P3AT, better and available round, locking slide on the last round and real sights, why not?
I tried the GF's LCP, it's nicer than the P3AT but almost every time I fired it my thumb would hit the mag release which dropped the mag about 1/8 inch and then FTF.

kokapelli
February 11, 2010, 09:01 AM
Kel tec.... their design and they actually have a lifetime warranty..... ruger comes with a promise.Sort of..????.. If you want a slide stop... get a Taurus TCP.. original design and actuallyhas a functioning slide stop...oh, and a lifetime warranty.
The Taurus TCP IMO does not look like an original design.

The P-3AT, the LCP and the Taurus TLC all appear very similar when looking at their parts diagrams.
If you want an original design look at the Diamondback and Kahr P380 pustols
http://omploader.org/vM2lxbA/Taurus:P3AT.gif

PT1911
February 11, 2010, 09:14 AM
How bout telling me why your Taurus diagram is a breakdown of the Ruger LCP???? the Taurus has a working slide stop, a superior trigger with double strike capability, a different mag design, and better sights....

19-3Ben
February 11, 2010, 09:45 AM
Nasty- Seriously. C'mon. Let it go. Bill Ruger is dead. His family doesn't own the company. The company has been pumping out standard capacity mags, and engaging in all sorts of evil-gun goodness for years now. If Ruger were the same company it used to be, they would be selling 20rnd mags for the Mini's, SR9's with 17 rnd mags, and tacticool AR-15s. K?
Are you going to boycott Ford because Henry Ford was a Nazi sympathizer? Gimme a break.

Oh, and there's nothing really THAT unique about the Kel-Tec. If you say there is a copyright violation, go ahead and look up Mr. Kellgren's copyrights, and see what he copyrighted with regards to the P3AT. Then show us the laws that say what is a violation. Then we can actually see if there is a violation.
Otherwise, you're just making a factual allegation without having any of the facts necessary to make such an allegation.
to say that "Ruger stole directly from working Americans." Is a VERY serious allegation. Those are big words, and if you intend people to take you seriously, you need big facts to back them up.
Do you really think Ruger would have opened themselves up to liability like that?

Heeler- I'm glad that you found my review helpful. I should add by the way, that in my experience, my LCP is actually more reliable than my Sig P232. This is a list of the ammo I have fired in my LCP. I have never ever had a problem with any of it feeding, firing, or ejecting.

FMJ Range Ammo:
American Eagle
WWB
S&B
Blazer Brass
Blazer Aluminum
Wolf Steel
Random Ruskie steel stuff

Also some super dirty LRN reload stuff. Fired about 100 rounds in a row expecting it to fail. Boringly reliable.

HP:
Federal Hydra-shock
Speer Gold Dot

Edit to add:
I re-read my post, and realize that it may come off as being confrontational to Nasty. Please understand that I don't mean it that way at all. I'm simply asking for facts to back up an accusation. I think it sounds harsher because we can't pick up body language and tone of voice over the web.

kokapelli
February 11, 2010, 10:01 AM
How bout telling me why your Taurus diagram is a breakdown of the Ruger LCP???? the Taurus has a working slide stop, a superior trigger with double strike capability, a different mag design, and better sights....
Oops! Sorry about that. Here is the Taurus TCP Parts diagram...
http://omploader.org/vM2lyOA/Taurus%20parts.gif
I didn't say they are exactly the same, just that the TCP is not a unique design. The TCP appears to me to be very similar to the LCP and P-3AT in basic design.

As for the trigger, since I have not shot a TCP I can't comment on it, but I seriously doubt it is better or even as good as a Kahr or Diamondback 380.

Maybe someone without a brand bias that has shot all of these 380s can comment.

Personally I like the simplicity of the Glock/Kahr and now Diamondback striker system, especially in these small pistols.

PT1911
February 11, 2010, 10:11 AM
I appreciate all guns for what they are... having handled all these side by side, I can attest to the fact that the Taurus is the best of the three... between the other two, I prefer the kel tec for what seems to be a better trigger and actually prefer the rougher textured frame to that of the Ruger... also, I appreciate the lifetime warranty offered by both the Taurus and the Kel Tec. Ruger, known for their recalls, has offers no such warranty only a written version of a wink and a we'll take care of it. As to the Diamondback and the Kahr. Kahrs all have long smooth triggers and shoot amazingly well for their size. HOWEVER, they are much more expensive than the P3-At, TCP, and LCP. I have never seen or handled the Diamondback, but RUMOR has it they are founded by guys from Kel Tec, so.. one more strike against the ruger in that case. IF guys from kel tec can come up with an original idea, why cant ruger?

kokapelli
February 11, 2010, 10:19 AM
I appreciate all guns for what they are... having handled all these side by side, I can attest to the fact that the Taurus is the best of the three... between the other two, I prefer the kel tec for what seems to be a better trigger and actually prefer the rougher textured frame to that of the Ruger... also, I appreciate the lifetime warranty offered by both the Taurus and the Kel Tec. Ruger, known for their recalls, has offers no such warranty only a written version of a wink and a we'll take care of it. As to the Diamondback and the Kahr. Kahrs all have long smooth triggers and shoot amazingly well for their size. HOWEVER, they are much more expensive than the P3-At, TCP, and LCP. I have never seen or handled the Diamondback, but RUMOR has it they are founded by guys from Kel Tec, so.. one more strike against the ruger in that case. IF guys from kel tec can come up with an original idea, why cant ruger?
I paid $358 for my Diamondback which is not anymore or at least just a little more than most people are paying for their LCPs.

As for it's trigger, I consider it to be far superior to either the LCP and P-3AT triggers and now I am leaving for the range to put some Buffalo Bore, PMC, Herters and Federal ammo through the Diamondback.
Later!
http://omploader.org/vM2l0bg/BD%20Hand%20shaded.gif

dom1104
February 11, 2010, 10:23 AM
Taurus and the word Superior. Hilarious.

Ruger LCP Vs Kel Tec P3AT.

In Pictures.

http://northtexasarms.com/cart/images/RUGER%20LCP.jpg

VS

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/kel_tec/kel_p3at.jpg

I propose to you it is the same gun. With Makeup.

I support my argument with Cameron Diaz.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_xYL7UgaBKnQ/R9JDWYVwE0I/AAAAAAAAABg/dqzRrYZ8Zbc/s320/untitled7.bmp

Which would you rather have with you all day long?

MCgunner
February 11, 2010, 10:33 AM
I'm seeing a lot of weird opinions and biases here, but that's not surprising as it is a gun board. :rolleyes: first of all, fit and finish are nice, but that's not what stops the fight. Both guns will work 100 percent and both companies back their products with lifetime warranties and great customer service. On the straight up, either gun is acceptable to me. I really don't think you can go wrong with either, so get what is the better deal IMHO.

BTW, as to innovation and Kel Tec, yeah, I agree, but I can't dis Ruger on this point. After all, who was it that brought investment casting and FAR superior DA revolver designs to the gunmaking world? They build superior strength revolvers for less money and the secret is the investment casting process. Who was it that gave us the transfer bar system in revolvers and in single actions at that!? Ruger is an innovative company, hard to argue they're not. I could quote more innovations, but these are the obvious. So, they may have used the P3AT as a blueprint, so what? It's a great gun and great little design. As someone said, apparently they didn't infringe any patents.

BTW, Bill Ruger is dead. Get over the politics. I'm not sure there would be an LCP or LCR if ol' Bill was alive. He didn't seem to want to market to the carry market. Well, there's the SP101, but it's sure no pocket gun. :rolleyes:

heeler
February 11, 2010, 10:36 AM
Diamondback,dont know much about this one but I remember at the gun show last week seeing a dealer with them and a brand called Jimenez.
Since I did not know eithers quality I really didnt waste time with them.
Several years ago a guy I know bought on a whim a Davis in 380 at a gun show without knowing anything about them and,well it was pretty much a jam waiting for the next jam to happen.
He got rid of it and luckily it was so cheap in price he didnt lose his shirt.

I appreciate all the info you guys are giving me on this subject.
Will check out the Taurus and Diamondback as well.
The Khar if it can even be found is a bit more than I am willing to pay for a pocket 380.
Although my Mustang PocketLite was not all that cheap.
But as a friend said.."Yea but it is a Colt"

MCgunner
February 11, 2010, 10:41 AM
OMG, you see Jimenez, just walk away. I think most will agree with THAT one. At least the KT and Ruger work. The nuances are in finish quality, not function or pot metal parts. :rolleyes:

PT1911
February 11, 2010, 02:23 PM
Ruger does not offer a lifetime warranty, rather a piece of paper explaining that they do not offer a warranty. This is a misconception that must be corrected.

denfoote
February 11, 2010, 02:38 PM
Kel-Tec simply because I bought my copy long before Ruger sent their industrial spys in to steal the plans!!

hub
February 11, 2010, 04:20 PM
I looked at all three today the LCP, P3AT, and the Diamondback. I liked the Diamondback the best and would have took it home but the price tag was $100 higher than the other two.

As far as copycat designs that doesn't mean that much to me as a buyer if another company can do it within the law and refine it to make a better pistol then why not. I feel that the LCP looks much better than the Kel-tec, and I like the slide stop. If Ruger can sell a better looking or performing pistol at the same price as Kel-tec then as a buyer that's what I'm going with. Kel-tec is a good company and they will survive even if that means dropping the price on their products a little bit to stay competitive.

IF guys from kel tec can come up with an original idea, why cant ruger?

OK tell me these don't look amazingly similar?
http://www.diamondbackfirearms.com/
http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/glock-28

My point is this is the pocket pistol Glock should have made but didn't. Ok not the same exact design in terms of capacity, grip angle, etc. but fairly close when it comes to function. I guess we should badmouth Diamondback for making it right?

kokapelli
February 11, 2010, 04:24 PM
I looked at all three today the LCP, P3AT, and the Diamondback. I liked the Diamondback the best and would have took it home but the price tag was $100 higher than the other two.

What were the prices?

Nasty
February 11, 2010, 05:11 PM
Yup...Bill Ruger is dead. May he rot.

Same goes for Jane Fonda...except she is rotting while still alive.

MachIVshooter
February 11, 2010, 05:34 PM
why did Kel-Tec not take them to court. Last I heard patent infringement

KT didn't have a patent, IIRC. No leg to stand on.

hub
February 11, 2010, 05:35 PM
What were the prices?

Well it's a new shop just a few miles down the road and they are kinda high but seem like good people to deal with. I did one trade, a cetme for a used Sig p226 even at $450 and have 2 ffl going through them right now for $15 a peice. This is what they had them listed at if I remember correctly.

p3at $335
lcp $345
Diamondback $445

I could probably talk them down some but they wouldn't come off too much on a new xdm that I thought was priced a little high at $640. It might have been a little less but they was only willing to come down $20 or so.

I didn't ask if they would match or come close but I could get a lcp from Bud's for $299 shipped and another $15 for ffl. Maybe I should ask when I make my ffl pickup.

SwampWolf
February 11, 2010, 05:43 PM
Ruger does not offer a lifetime warranty, rather a piece of paper explaining that they do not offer a warranty.

Even so, my cs experience with Ruger has been exemplary. I'd much rather have Ruger's "non-warranty" and benefit from their real service than have some companies' "warranties" and receive a lifetime of excuses (you're not holding the gun just so; try a different magazine; you're not cleaning the gun right; you're using the wrong ammo; you need to break our gun in first before it will work, dummy; and so on, ad nauseam) before they actually fix the gun-if ever.

MachIVshooter
February 11, 2010, 06:23 PM
Swampwolf-

KT's CS is well known for being exemplary, probably the best in the industry. It is a no questions asked, repair or replace, and free stuff to defray shipping cost deal.

kokapelli
February 11, 2010, 06:31 PM
Well it's a new shop just a few miles down the road and they are kinda high but seem like good people to deal with. I did one trade, a cetme for a used Sig p226 even at $450 and have 2 ffl going through them right now for $15 a peice. This is what they had them listed at if I remember correctly.

p3at $335
lcp $345
Diamondback $445

I could probably talk them down some but they wouldn't come off too much on a new xdm that I thought was priced a little high at $640. It might have been a little less but they was only willing to come down $20 or so.

I didn't ask if they would match or come close but I could get a lcp from Bud's for $299 shipped and another $15 for ffl. Maybe I should ask when I make my ffl pickup.
Those prices are outrageous! You need to find a different gun shop.

spoon
February 11, 2010, 06:51 PM
I don't understand anybody that tells me Ruger stole the design from anybody.. This design was around during WW1 till now. You can't count the number of pistols that are made with this design.

Both the KT and Ruger do the same thing-- one exception Ruger has a slide lock back, and feels smother in you hand.

Service is great from both -- ammo is the same--you can dry fire Ruger not sure about KT. What's left now. Well I brought home a LCP and I like it. :)

Put both in your hand at the same time and you will go home with a Ruger.

You all have a great day now you hear......:D

hub
February 11, 2010, 08:40 PM

I agree, I purchase most online or used from individuals hence the two FFL transfers right now. I don't mind paying over a little I know they need to make money but I not going to pay $50 +sales tax over online price on a $300 pistol.

Warhawk83
February 11, 2010, 10:57 PM
Service is great from both -- ammo is the same--you can dry fire Ruger not sure about KT. What's left now. Well I brought home a LCP and I like it.

They actually advise against dry firing the Ruger.

spoon
February 12, 2010, 07:08 AM
Warhawk83
It doesn't say anything about dry firing the Ruger in the manual, so, I
e-mailed Ruger Tec center and ask about this. :scrutiny: Their response in writing was " it will not hurt the LCP to be dry fired". I printed this out and added it to my manual. :D Call, or e-mail Ruger-- their service is really great. :D

Or Talk to them in Charlotte :D this spring during the NRA convention.
May 14-15-16-2010. See you there. ( don't forget -- you can't take a gun to the gun show) and while you are there, sign up to become a life member. :)

SOUTHPAW
February 12, 2010, 07:17 AM
KT didn't have a patent, IIRC. No leg to stand on.
No patent, yes. But they say imitation is the highest form of flattery. ;)

Damn right! Highest price around here is about $289 on the KT.

heeler
February 12, 2010, 08:19 AM
I agree Kokapelli those prices quoted by hub are outrageous!!
When one gets on GunBroker you can find the LCP in the 270-289 range all day long and the Kel-Tec P3AT at 250-269.00 price range.
But of course there is the 15-30.00 shipping fee and the 20-25.00 FFL transfer fee to think about.

So.......Yesterday after work I went to the small gun shop that I use as my FFL and low and behold he has started carrying the Diamondbacks.
He thought pretty highly of them too.
He carrys a Glock 26 and he laid it on the counter next to the Diamondback and I was amazed at just how close they resembled one another,except for size of course.
He then field stripped the amazingly simple Glock.
He did the same on the Diamondback.
Shall we say a true copy.
Why pretty much YES.
We talked over the LCP and Kel-Tec(he owns a P3AT and really dislikes it).
I handled the KT and LCP at the gunshow last week but when I put that baby Glock wannabe in my hand the fit was so ergonomically correct I asked "How much"?
"For you,$325.00".
I bought it on the spot!!
I had read several reviews of it during the day and all were very positive.
I got on G.B. and the prices there were closer to the $400.00 mark.
Of course I have not fired it yet but I will certainly do so this weekend.
Really a nice little pocket pistol.
Light,no sharp edges,easy to field strip,nice sights,steel trigger,stainless steel magazine release,and a seemingly great price.
I field stripped it at the kitchen table last night and cleaned her up and oiled her down and racked the slide at least three dozen times and released the very positive feeding magazine a dozen times.
One thing,I read that when some people carry the LCP in their pocket often times the magazine release gets activated but I can tell you I dont think that will happen on this pistol as you have to firmly push in the stainless steel release to make it release.
I am still going to look over the Taurus TCP because the price is very good and you get an extra magazine and a small holster that conceals the little pistol.
More later guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec...Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!