The most durable/reliable 9mm that money can buy???

PDA

Irfan
February 10, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hello guys! I have some great news but also need your help. My father has just promised to get me a new pistol regardless of is price as soon as he starts to work as a professor at the university! So I really donít need something that is going to be just a collector item, I want something I can depend on, I want the most durable and reliable 9mm that money can buy? What should I choose?

If you enjoyed reading about "The most durable/reliable 9mm that money can buy???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911austin
February 10, 2010, 02:45 PM
Check out all of the top brands. Glock, Sig, HK, S&W, Springfield, Beretta, CZ, FN and others all make very reliable firearms. Don't let the Kool-Aid drinkers of any one brand influence your decision. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and the “best” is really mostly personal preference. I prefer my 9mm handguns to be Glocks but YMMV.

StarDust1
February 10, 2010, 02:46 PM
The best 9mm pistol you can lay your hands on is the Glock-17(G-17)! I'll rank the top five in order,
1. G-17
2. G-19(compact version of the G-17)
3. Beretta 92FS or M9
4. CZ-75PO1 (for the money, simply superb)
5. Sig Sauer P226
There's other good choices too, but these are IMO the best for the money spent....

KurtC
February 10, 2010, 02:55 PM
I've tried just about everything made in the last 25 years, and the one that impressed me the most is the S&W all stainless 59x6 series, especially the latter TSW models.

Flawless reliability, hand fitted slides and barrels, built like a tank. :)

conhntr
February 10, 2010, 02:56 PM
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=45922&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/170274_thumb.jpg

always thought these where pretty cool. he did say money wasnt an issue

ColtraneM3
February 10, 2010, 03:07 PM
Sig P226! It was the only other gun to pass the military stress tests when they selected the Beretta M9. http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=7

If money isn't an issue, I recommend the Blackwater Tactical model, it comes with:
- tritium night sights
- custom magwell grips
- short reset trigger
- picatinny rail
- 4 (yes, four) 20-round magazines
- Limited Lifetime Warranty

Excellent gun and is a beauty to shoot (and look at!)

sigman
February 10, 2010, 04:00 PM
It has the best feel of all the other brands,and the most accurate shooting.
Is ergo friendly and a really well-thought-out-in-design ,sexy pistol ! :cool:
Plus the best trigger pull.

possum
February 10, 2010, 04:02 PM
i can tell you a few and they aren't even that expensive. the xd line (mine has over 17,000rds and still going strong.) also look into the glock 19 which is a great size and totally reliable.

NMGonzo
February 10, 2010, 04:07 PM
I would go for Glock or Ruger if money is
an issue.

Or a Browning hi power because I like them better.

wild cat mccane
February 10, 2010, 04:09 PM
Walther.

Never heard a bad thing about the P88 or the P99.

Only have heard people selling due to finances.

RoostRider
February 10, 2010, 04:10 PM
While I would not bash on a Glock, I would state that my Ruger P series has been flawless through many many years and thousands and thousands of rounds and still goes bang every time.... so do lots of others....

There is NO WAY I would buy into the Glock being the 'most reliable handgun'... but it is darn reliable....

There are so many that it is hard to decide.... finding the one that fits you best is the real challenge... reliable gun don't mean much if you aren't accurate with it...

sigman
February 10, 2010, 04:17 PM
and feel all of them in your hand first.
Then target shoot the top three that you like at a gun range.
Alot of people here are turning toward the " CZ " brand !
Actually, i can't really recall reading any negative remarks about them at all here on the THR !

General Tso
February 10, 2010, 04:23 PM
The best 9mm pistol you can lay your hands on is the Glock-17(G-17)! I'll rank the top five in order,
1. G-17
3. Beretta 92FS or M9
5. Sig Sauer P226
There's other good choices too, but these are IMO the best for the money spent....
Agree 100%

browningguy
February 10, 2010, 04:27 PM
Browning Hi Power.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Pistols/pairofbhps.jpg

ishi
February 10, 2010, 04:34 PM
H&K USP Compact 9mm - no question.

steveracer
February 10, 2010, 04:37 PM
Every one of the stated pistols is a wanna-be compared to the Browning HiPower.
If there's to be only one 9mm. Cost no object. To to everything 9mm can do.
BHP

Water-Man
February 10, 2010, 04:38 PM
Look at the new H&K and Sig offerings.

mordechaianiliewicz
February 10, 2010, 05:32 PM
Glock
Sig
HK
CZ
Beretta
Browning Hi-Power
Ruger P-series
Smith & Wesson M&P or 5906/5904

All are really good, and this list is in no particular order.... I am sold on Glock myself. But I've shot everything I mentioned, and I think all of them are excellent choices.

Tom Fury
February 10, 2010, 05:36 PM
+1 go see what fits your hand best; you've got to like the ergonomics; for best built and most reliable, I agree with above about S&W 5906/4 or 6906/4 series.
Cheers, TF

19-3Ben
February 10, 2010, 05:38 PM
S&w 5906.

Ala Dan
February 10, 2010, 05:39 PM
West German SIG-SAUER P228~!

Prion
February 10, 2010, 05:44 PM
Sig p226 Combat, HK USP, S&W M&P Pro, Glock 17 or 19.

NinjaFeint
February 10, 2010, 05:46 PM
I have shot a lot of 9mm handguns priced from Hi-Point to S&W 952. If I had to choose one, it would be a Glock 17. Easy to shoot, easy to clean (but who cleans their Glock) and feeds anything.

StarDust1
February 10, 2010, 05:49 PM
I've tried just about everything made in the last 25 years, and the one that impressed me the most is the S&W all stainless 59x6 series, especially the latter TSW models.

Flawless reliability, hand fitted slides and barrels, built like a tank. :)
I had a 4566 TSW, superb pistol(though a .45 auto)that was wonderful to shoot, beautifully manufactured, and very expensive....

wcoats
February 10, 2010, 07:53 PM
I would recommend the Sig P226, it's got a great trigger and is very reliable and durable.

But you should go to a few gun shops and hold everything you can in 9mm, then try to go to a rental range and shoot the ones that you like most. There are plenty of great durable and reliable handguns out there and you'll have to figure out what feels best to you.

harmon rabb
February 10, 2010, 07:58 PM
i don't think any 9mm has proved itself like the beretta 92fs, the current sidearm of the us armed forces. they don't even look half bad if you get shiny one with wood grips.

sidheshooter
February 10, 2010, 07:59 PM
At this point, it is a bit like 4-banger family sedans: there's a fair amount of concensus on how to build one that works, and they all look pretty similar when you squint at them.

Originally Posted by StarDust1
1. G-17
3. Beretta 92FS or M9
5. Sig Sauer P226

Fold the G19 into the 17/glock family in general, and then add the xd and 3rd gen S&Ws, and I have no quarrel with this list... again, YMMV.

wrs840
February 10, 2010, 08:15 PM
What the heck, I'll opine:

(1) BHP. If money is no object, find a really nice Belgium-made. It's a piece of firearms history and a "legendary" pistol for good reason.

(2) S&W 5904. I really like this sleeper. If you're patient, you can find police-trades that are "as new".

(3) Beretta 92FS. A tad large for a CCW, but a classic. Typically a benchmark of reliability and easy to learn to shoot accurately.

(4) Your Dad sounds like my kind of guy. I vote for more University Professors like Him. In fact, I recommend him for Department Chair... even Dean... :D

Les

SwampWolf
February 10, 2010, 08:18 PM
Another enthusiastic vote for the Smith & Wesson Model 5906-or a variant for same.

Fishman777
February 10, 2010, 10:01 PM
I would not consider any gun with an aluminum frame to be extremely durable. Polymer and Steel frames are more durbale than aluminum framed handguns.

I would look into a Polymer offering or a Steel offering.

I would also look for something with a fully supported barrel.

HK USP, XD or XDm, M&P, CZ?

If I had to choose an aluminum-framed gun, it would be one with a recoil buffer (Beretta 90two or Beretta 92a1 - the newest Beretta)

easyg
February 11, 2010, 12:20 AM
Most durable and reliable 9mm....

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM5676.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM5678.jpg

:neener:

Jed Carter
February 12, 2010, 06:09 AM
I shoot 17 (as of now) pistols the hands down only pure shtf weapon is the SIG P226, shoots better than all, but my 1911s. But unlike the SA 1911 I trust this pistol under all adverse conditions or situations. Its so ugly its beautiful, but its real beauty is in its function, reliability and accuracy. I recommend night sights on whatever you get. Beretta 92fs, Glock G17, FNP 9, H&K USP 9mm my choices in order. INXA on XD and M&P.

biohazurd
February 12, 2010, 06:18 AM
I also dont believe in a "Best" gun for everyone. For me my favorite 9mm would be my SR9, But my glock 17 is a close second....

memphisjim
February 12, 2010, 06:19 AM
id usually say get a glock in this situation
but since you are getting it free id take a higher end model like a high power ir even a korth

REAPER4206969
February 12, 2010, 06:26 AM
There is NO WAY I would buy into the Glock being the 'most reliable handgun'... but it is darn reliable....

100,000-Round 9mm Torture Test
By Chuck Taylor

On four occasions since 1990, I've written articles about a continuing evaluation I've been conducting to ascertain the longevity of the Glock Model 17 9mm pistol. The first of these, appearing in the February, 1993, issue of Combat Handguns, contained my findings as to the weapon's performance and durability after 33,000 rounds fired. At this juncture, I stated:

"I carried it in the rain, snow, dust and mud. I carried it when the temperatures were over 100 degrees and when they were 40 below.

"I presented the gun more than 10,000 times from it's plastic slide holster, speed loaded it 2,000 times, performed over 5,000 tactical loads, shot it weak-handed in excess of 2,500 times and field-stripped it 250 times.

"From the beginning, I resolved to grind it into the dirt, abuse it like no gun I ever had."

"Why? To find out the truth about Glocks, for once and for all...

"And I succeeded in doing just that. In a 30-month period, I fired 33,000 rounds, all factory loads, of every imaginable type made–– and it ate them all, almost without a single malfunction. I say 'almost' because on the 32,994th round, I finally had one–– a failure to feed! And this in spite of the fact that I cleaned the gun every 10,000 rounds whether it need it or not!

"100 rounds short of the 5,000th shot, both factory-provided magazines ceased to hold the slide open after the last shot, although they both continued to function normally otherwise. At round number 11,000 a second set did the same and was replaced by another.

"By the 500th holster presentation, the left side of the front site was so badly worn that a proper site picture was no longer possible. It was subsequently replaced with a steel version.

"By round number 16,000, I could see steel through the finish–– but it never did rust, although it was exposed repeatedly to rain, snow, perspiration and even blood.

"The trigger pull, originally 5.5 pounds, got smoother and a bit lighter, but it never did double or demonstrate a glitch of any kind.

"And after all this, it still shoots into 3 inches at 25 meters, not much different than when it was new."

Impressed, to say the least, I was still determined to see the test though to the point where the gun failed. So, although the piece had passed the 33,000-round mark without significant negative results or breakage, I continued the test.

The months went by and the test continued. By the end of the summer, 1993, the gun had shot 50,000 rounds without a hitch. Among my additional observations published in Glock Auto pistols 1995, were these:

"And now, after 50,000 rounds, nothing has really changed. It still:

"Functions reliably. In fact, not a single additional stoppage has occurred.

"Prints inside the 9-ring of a 25-meter pistol target, exactly as it did when it was new.

"Shows no additional finish wear.

"Exhibits no bore corrosion.

"Clearly, the Glock M-17 is a heck of a pistol and, as a survival instrument, is well worthy of our consideration. It is well-designed, well-made and capable of surviving a wide variety of environmental conditions. It will feed the entire spectrum of bullet shapes and functions reliably with virtually all power levels of 9mm ammunition. In addition, it resists corrosion magnificently and its design causes minimal wear on working parts, giving it an unbelievable long service life.

"Ugly? Maybe, maybe not! It depends on what's important to you–– cosmetics, or function. Regardless, it's my opinion that the Glock 17 is not only a winner, but may well be the world's best 9mm pistol. Obviously, only time will tell, but in the meantime, I've got 25,000 more rounds of 9mm ammunition to run through it to find out."

25,000 more

And the test continued. By February, 1995, the 25,000 rounds were expended, bringing the total to an unbelievable 75,000! Yet, the gun was still going strong, showing no indications whatsoever of impending failure. I replaced nothing–– no springs, firing pins, connectors or any other parts. In fact, viewed from the broad perspective, the gun had actually outlived it's magazines–– six two-mag sets at that point.

Truthfully, I had run out of things to do to the gun. Short of running over it with a car or freezing it into a solid block of ice–– both which I regarded as silly, since they fail to mirror real-world conditions and therefore prove nothing–– I had repeatedly exposed the gun to everything. In the July, 1995, issue of Combat Handguns and Summer, 1995, issue of Glockster, I said:

"After more than 70,000 holster presentations, I can detect no additional finish wear from that which appeared by 20,000 presentations.

"The bore is still without corrosion or excessive wear; the piece still shoots inside the 9-ring of a 25-meter pistol target, using the offhand Weaver Stance. In fact, to determine if any deterioration of intrinsic accuracy had occurred, I fired it from 35 meters in a Ransom Rest–– the worst groups were 2 inches!

"As an example of its practical accuracy capability, I offer the following. With the test gun, I was able to perform the following:

1. "Reliably get center-hits on a 18 x 30-inch steel silhouette target at 75 meters, knocking down five such silhouettes in under ten seconds.
2. "Take a whitetail deer with a single shot behind the shoulder at a laser-measured 70 meters.

3. "Successfully pass the ASAA Handgun Combat Master test with it, presenting it from concealed carry, shooting a score of at least 383 out of a possible 400."

My other observations at that time included:

"Internal parts exhibited no real wear or deterioration.

"The polycarbonate frame, though it had at one spot worn smooth from holster contact, appeared intact and without discernible deterioration.

"After more than 50,000 speed loads and an equal number of tactical loads, the magazine well was scarred somewhat but still serviceable.

"While the 56,103rd round blew a primer, the gun was undamaged. The resulting stoppage, a Type 3 (Feedway) was quickly cleared and the weapon returned to service.

"The trigger remained at 5.1 pounds, a reduction from it's original poundage of only 0.4 pounds. It was still smooth and had a crisp let-off.

"It was discovered that magazine service life could be dramatically increased by loading only 15, rather than the rated 17, rounds of ammunition. If a 'Plus-Two' floorplate is utilized, then–– and only then–– should a full 17 rounds be loaded. This prevents the follower spring from being fully compressed, thus causing it to soften and finally 'set', as the expression goes.

"The Trijicon (tritium) sights installed early in the test were still completely serviceable."

It looked like the test was over. The pistol had survived an incredible 75,000 rounds and was completely intact. I had my desired data-base–– the Glock M-17 was irrefutably a terrific pistol. In fact, I was so impressed that I concluded my article in Combat Handguns with this statement:

"Pretty, it ain't, especially after all it's been through. On the other hand, beauty is said to be in the eye of the beholder, and to me, the Glock is a tool, not an objet d'art. This being the case, we must view it differently–– function, not aesthetics, is the prime criteria. Viewed from this perspective, there can be no doubt that the Glock M-17 looks mighty good indeed."

Well, I just couldn't leave it alone. My curiosity about just how long the gun could survive continued to be intense. So, from my stores, I broke out an additional 25,000 rounds of assorted 9mm ammo and continued the test.

And now, the fall of 1995, after having fired a total of 100,000 rounds of virtually all kinds of ammunition...

Nothing has changed! The gun looks the same, feels the same, functions the same as it did before. I've done everything within reason to this gun. I've carried it all over the world, quite literally in every environmental condition known to man–– the steaming jungles of Latin America, the windblown deserts of the southwestern U.S., the 40-below zero tundra of Alaska in the winter.

And it worked–– every time. In fact, since I discovered that loading 15, rather than the rated 17, rounds into the magazine prevented the follower spring from softening, I haven't had a single malfunction. Both magazines used in this last 25,000 portion of my test remain strong and completely serviceable. And, by way of confirmation, I replaced the old springs in the magazines that failed during the test with new ones from Glock, and they, too, function perfectly.

I am especially impressed by the lack of apparent finish wear, even after over 100,000 holster presentations. The gun looks exactly as it did at 20,000! I've actually worn out several holsters, finally selecting the M-D Labs "Thunderbolt" (which I co designed with M-D honcho Kevin McClung) and matching mag carrier as the best. It's super-fast, yet secure and highly concealable, and being made of Kydex, it's by far the toughest rig now in existence.

The magazine well, although slightly scarred from in excess of 100,000 insertions, also remains entirely functional and looks much like it did in the early stages of the test.

Internal parts, too, look the same. I just can't find any discernible signs of deterioration. The piece shoots just as accurately as it did before and functions flawlessly.

So, in conclusion, the Model 17 9mm continues to defy wear, tear, corrosion and...well, me! I've thrown the whole book of tricks at this gun and yet, as this is written, it continues in service. Obviously, the Model 17 is a terrific handgun–– so terrific that I'd quite willingly bet my life on this one, even after all it's been through. What better recommendation can I give, eh?

Nasty
February 12, 2010, 07:31 AM
Durable and reliable? Can't argue with SIG at all...I've never seen a single kaboom type incident with one and I've been an instructor both on active duty and off for more than 30 years, active in competition and carrying the same length of time.

Wish I could say this is a case of an owner bragging about his gun, but I can't. I've always been a bit too poor to go SIG.

I shoot 9m/m in the XD precursor (HS2K), in a Glock (27 with conversion barrel) and in a Kel-Tec PF9. I could not have afforded these handguns had I gone SIG, but my solution suited my needs and I have no complaints of any of these as they fit *my* needs.

Go SIG, and if I see you at the range some day, let me try a couple of shots to live vicariously?

Marlin 45 carbine
February 12, 2010, 07:58 AM
I'm very familiar with the 5900 series S&W - gets my vote along with the Sig another one built rock-solid and Ruger not far behind.

ZionistInfidel
February 12, 2010, 11:30 AM
1. CZ P01 or SP01
2. SIG P226
3. HK P30L
4. Browning High Power
5. Beretta 92FS/M9

Wouldn't see a GLOCK in my top 25, i'm just a non-kool-aid drinking HATER.

- ZI

mgmorden
February 12, 2010, 12:35 PM
You're not going to get a consensus - even from an individual - on one clear cut "MOST durable and reliable" 9mm. The truth is once you get into a certain class of guns they typically work, and work well. When function for a gun is typically 100% how does one "win" against others doing the same?

Heck my two 9mm's are the Ruger P95 and the SIG P6 - both are "budget" guns. Certainly not something you'd buy in a "cost is not an option" situation, but both have fired several hundred rounds (I probably have broken 1000 on the Ruger) with no issues. If I had unlimited budget to add another 9mm to my stable, other features besides reliability would take over (just for grins and giggles, if I was trying to stay sane with the price, and could get any 9mm I wanted right now, I'd probably get the nicest S&W M&P I could).

As such you need to look at some features you prefer.

Polymer, steel or alloy frame?

Hammer or striker fired?

If hammer, do you want single-action, double action, or double-action only?

Small for concealment or full sized?

Single stack magazine (thinner grips) or double stack (hold more rounds)?

Safety, decocker, or neither?

Do you need second-strike capability?

Target style sights or carry style?

Those are the questions to ask yourself. One you have the answers you can start to see what fits those requirements. There are pretty much 100% durable and reliable guns that fit all of them.

Tyson Wedekind
February 12, 2010, 12:40 PM
Take a look at Springfied Armory's XD or XDm line for ccw I have the xd9 sub compact 3 in barrel ,but they have a wide range of polymer pistols, service model's 4'' and tactical is 5''

kymarkh
February 12, 2010, 12:48 PM
I would choose the Glock 17 first and the SIG 226 second, with the HK USP full size coming in as a slightly distant third choice.

Hatterasguy
February 12, 2010, 02:23 PM
G17
Sig P226
92FS
Browning High Power

searcher451
February 12, 2010, 07:20 PM
Walther P5. It's the real deal and, like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps going, and going, and going ...

Confederate
February 12, 2010, 07:29 PM
There are so many decent 9mm pistols on the market, it's almost difficult to find a bad one -- and as good as the Brownings are, their design is a bit long in the tooth, and in the military trials, they were not top performers.

S&W started off with the 39/59 pistols, which had many problems. By the time they fixed them, the reputation of the guns was shot (excuse the pun). Their second generation models were superb and they did quite well in the tests, and the third generation also were winners. In the tests I saw, they failed once (malfunctioned) in an average of 952 rounds. The Beretta, however, with its horizontal feed and open extraction malfunctioned on an average of once every 2000 rounds. That was even better. The Colt .45 1911 washed out early and, honestly, I haven't seen many 1911s out of the box that have been flawlessly reliable. Then, with Beretta 92s coming apart and slides hitting military shooters in the face, I decided on going with the S&W 659 and 5906, both of which are outstanding guns. Also, the 645, which feeds just about anything you can fit in the magazine. All have stainless frames and function fine, even when limp-wristed.

Having said that, Sigs and Glocks and others are fine -- just pick one that appeals to you and then research it. Frequently you can see them demonstrated on YouTube.

I wouldn't trade my S&W 659 for any other 9mm I know of. But they're heavy and carrying it all the time would be a pain. But there are alloy frame models available.

I would love to have an INOX Beretta 92, but the price is prohibitive and they're hard to find. I also would seriously consider a Sig and a Springfield. If I could find a primo Browning HP, I might pick one up, but if an auto jams at all on a factory round, I'll pass on it. (I've seen a number of Kimber .45s jam at my local range, and for their price, why are they jamming? So don't let prices sway you!)

Let us know what you end up with.

Bentonville
February 12, 2010, 07:43 PM
Here is a thread that should help you rule out or in the HK P30. I and many others found on the HKPro forum have them and really, really like them. Durable....just read about them. Accurate.....again....and reliable.....no doubt. There are many other pistols out there that have the same or similar characteristics but for me...I like the HK.
http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104274

Isher
February 12, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hmmm-

Well, there is the remarkably rare Sigurd Oleffsen Rata IV,

Manufactured entirely by hand in Copenhagen, Denmark.

It is almost entirely unknown, except in the very highest

Circles of pistol connoisseurs, where it is known

As the "Unobtainigun."

For the simple reason that you may only own one if

You are related by blood to the paternal side of the family

Which dates from the early 900's.

Furthermore, these weapons are not sold, but passed

From father to son.

Therefore, there are no known examples in any collection

Nor will you find them, ever, for public sale.

isher

Mike OTDP
February 12, 2010, 10:21 PM
THE most durable? Try the Sig P210. Although the Glock is pretty durable, the P210 is built like a brick. And priced like a gold brick.

HZOX221
February 12, 2010, 10:31 PM
If money is not an option then I would go with an SVI/Infinity: http://www.sviguns.com/1101.php?indx=3

THE MACHINIST
February 12, 2010, 10:40 PM
Glock .

WmCC
February 12, 2010, 11:05 PM
Another nod to the Glock(s).

huduguru
February 13, 2010, 12:41 AM
Glockenspiel.

Nasty
February 13, 2010, 08:21 AM
++ For MGMordan's post...

Different tools for different tasks.

butters
February 13, 2010, 09:32 AM
After reading countless stories and personal accounts it is hard to argue that the Glock 17 and 19 may possibly be the most durable amd relable guns on the planet. Especially considering how many have been sold.

That said there are lots of reliable pistols out there and reliabilty is only one thing to consider when buying a handgun. You could choose almost any of the recommendations in these posts and will likely come away with a quality firearm that will last a lifetime.

Go to a local store or range. Handle the guns, point them and shoot them if possible. Reliabilty doesn't mean squat if you aren't comfortable with your gun.

5-SHOTS
February 18, 2010, 02:40 PM
Irfan: my father has a Glock 19, a CZ 75B Stainless with cocobolo CZ grips and a CZ P-01. All three are great guns but the first place goes to the P-01, even if the Stainless is the best looking one. I've tried many different 9mm handguns in the last two or three years (but never a SIG-Sauer or a H&K) and I can say that the P-01 still holds the first place.

Anyway, since you said that money is not an issue for your father and it will be a present from him, I'd go for something more prestigious. One of the new SIG-Sauer P229 9mm would be the perfect all-around gun in my opinion. The best version is the Elite Stainless but probably is a bit heavy if you are going to daily carry it.

Best regards, 5-SHOTS.

bincabo
February 18, 2010, 03:11 PM
9mm Nighthawk T3 stainless

www.nighthawkcustom.com

Extremely durable
Totally reliable
Exceptionally accurate
Designed for CC

oneounceload
February 18, 2010, 03:14 PM
What should I choose?

The one that fits your hand the best and you are the most accurate shooting with. You WILL be trying them out at a rental range, correct?

Enachos
February 18, 2010, 03:26 PM
Stardust pretty much nailed it! ... although... I'd like to add the Stoeger Cougar. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that one yet. I'm hoping to find one at the gun show next weekend. You should look into them.

sargents1
February 18, 2010, 03:38 PM
Looks like no one mentioned Ruger's fine 9mm handguns.
I have a P85 that has several thousands of rounds thru it with no hickups.

P85s, P89s, P95s are all very reliable. They wont win you any status symbol points but they make holes in things quite well.

Onward Allusion
February 18, 2010, 03:40 PM
+1 for the S&W 5906

Sheepdog1968
February 18, 2010, 05:01 PM
Sig P226! It was the only other gun to pass the military stress tests when they selected the Beretta M9. http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=7

If money isn't an issue, I recommend the Blackwater Tactical model, it comes with:
- tritium night sights
- custom magwell grips
- short reset trigger
- picatinny rail
- 4 (yes, four) 20-round magazines
- Limited Lifetime Warranty

Excellent gun and is a beauty to shoot (and look at!)
I would go with either the Beretta 92FS (M9) or the Sig P226. Both were the only two to pass the miliary testing for the US Army. To me that says a lot. Most guns from most manufacturers are reliable. You won't have any problems with other manufacturers such as Springfield XDs or Glocks. I suggest you rent some at a range to find what you like and fits your hand best.

oldpuppymax
February 18, 2010, 05:05 PM
Pretty much ANY quality gun maker is going to produce a quality weapon! I've had a few 9mm pistols and prefer my Glock 19. Fifteen round magazines and very light recoil. Fine accuracy. Light weight. Very easy to conceal.

KevinR
February 18, 2010, 08:47 PM
If I were in your position at your age, I would go with the SIG. You will have it for the rest of your life. And when your father is gone you will have something to remember him by. Dont go with plastic, I have made my living with Glass filled Nylon for many years, all the way from formulating to production processing and lab testing. It has its share of limitations also.

GunLover2010
February 19, 2010, 05:21 PM
Probably depends on how durable you need it to be. If you want to bury it in the back yard for two years, dig it up, hose it off and then shoot 500 rounds go with the Glock. It's the only gun I've actually seen go through that plus being dunked in mud, sand, dropped out of a plane, run over by a truck and shot at with a 22 only to still function.

In reality, most people will clean their guns after every use and you'll never see/need that kind of durability. That's where dependability comes in. Higher end guns are probably fine if they are perfectly maintained, but say they have 100 rounds through them and haven't been cleaned. My brother in law's $1200 Kimber was jamming every 3rd round last weekend cause for the first time ever he hadn't cleaned it between shootings. That wouldn't have been an issue for a Glock. I'd say it wasn't an issue for mine, but I did clean it. :neener:

I very much wanted a Sig 229 as my first gun. But after a lot of research, I just couldn't justify $900 for a gun that had more expensive parts and magazines when I could get a Glock for half the price. I ended up getting a Glock 21 SF, but my next purchase will be a Glock 19. I've got bigger hands, but the 19 works and could double as a CCW gun if need be. Plus you can use Glock 17 and 18 mags. Almost every gun show has the 33 round G18 mags, how fun would that be?

eye5600
February 19, 2010, 06:36 PM
So, quite a number of nominations. I suggest you make a list of all the manufacturers that you are considering, and go thru the posts again, crossing out all the gun makers listed here by name. Don't buy any of the ones you haven't crossed out. Well, except maybe an Armalite.

PT1911
February 19, 2010, 06:48 PM
money being no object.. I would say either the cz 75 (or variant) or a BHP... It is difficult to beat either of them in 9mm... Glocks, xds...etc are great guns, but they lack a certain amount of finess. I am not sure what your use of the gun would be but for but given the sentimentality that this seems to carry I suggest something a little more individual than the polymers...

Sheepdog1968
February 19, 2010, 10:00 PM
If I were in your position at your age, I would go with the SIG. You will have it for the rest of your life. And when your father is gone you will have something to remember him by. Dont go with plastic, I have made my living with Glass filled Nylon for many years, all the way from formulating to production processing and lab testing. It has its share of limitations also.
Good point. Not that long ago I turned 40 and my dad gave me some cash to mark the occasion. I ended up purchasing an International Harvester (he worked there for many years) M1 Garand to make the occassion and to have something that would be around for the rest of my life. In that context, I would definately choose this Sig. Again, I really like Sigs. Having said that, I'd probably choose metal over plastic for the memory of the event. I own plenty of plastic and have no complaints about it but a metal firearm just feels more like a marking of a memory material.

Sheepdog1968
February 19, 2010, 10:06 PM
Probably depends on how durable you need it to be. If you want to bury it in the back yard for two years, dig it up, hose it off and then shoot 500 rounds go with the Glock. It's the only gun I've actually seen go through that plus being dunked in mud, sand, dropped out of a plane, run over by a truck and shot at with a 22 only to still function.

In reality, most people will clean their guns after every use and you'll never see/need that kind of durability. That's where dependability comes in. Higher end guns are probably fine if they are perfectly maintained, but say they have 100 rounds through them and haven't been cleaned. My brother in law's $1200 Kimber was jamming every 3rd round last weekend cause for the first time ever he hadn't cleaned it between shootings. That wouldn't have been an issue for a Glock. I'd say it wasn't an issue for mine, but I did clean it. :neener:

I very much wanted a Sig 229 as my first gun. But after a lot of research, I just couldn't justify $900 for a gun that had more expensive parts and magazines when I could get a Glock for half the price. I ended up getting a Glock 21 SF, but my next purchase will be a Glock 19. I've got bigger hands, but the 19 works and could double as a CCW gun if need be. Plus you can use Glock 17 and 18 mags. Almost every gun show has the 33 round G18 mags, how fun would that be?
Glocks are definately reliable and I like the platform. Given the OP mentioning of dad buying it and the memory of the event it wouldn't be my first choice. I've also found as I've gotten older and my earning potential has gone up, I find the price to be much less of an issue on the choice as I'm going to own it forever. If money were an issue, it would be hard to argue the value and performance of a Glock. Having said that, if money were an issue, I'd probably be looking for used pistols as many for sale haven't been shot much. That whole buying a used car thing.

ol' scratch
February 19, 2010, 10:55 PM
CZ 75B. Great pistol.

billybob44
February 19, 2010, 11:02 PM
1. G-17
3. Beretta 92FS or M9
5. Sig Sauer P226
I own #4 and think it should be moved to the top of the list..

bikerdoc
February 19, 2010, 11:12 PM
Pssst, little secret between you and me. Go hold, rent, and fire some. The one for you will be quite evident.

Aristides
February 20, 2010, 02:25 AM
Don't buy anything until you've held the new S&W M&P 9c in your hand. After handling, if you don't love it, go on to something else.

I was in the market recently for a 9mm, went to a gun show to view all the "top guns" I could get my hands on, and at the time, didn't even know the M&P 9c existed. I picked one up and said, "what's this?" Being a die-hard steel-pistol fan, I didn't want to like it. But I was immediately impressed, even though I tried to convince myself I wanted something else. Looked around some more, drifted back to the 9c, and bought it. I love it!

mcdonl
February 20, 2010, 08:05 AM
Norinco L213 :neener:

wilkersk
February 20, 2010, 08:47 AM
Check this out:

http://best9mm.com/

wilkersk
February 20, 2010, 08:49 AM
I have the CZ-75B and the XD. Both are great. Can't say about others.

The guy with the Brother-in-law's $1,200 Kimber that jams every 3rd round: I'll take that piece of junk off his hands. Call me!

Hobbesbuff
February 20, 2010, 04:07 PM
I have the CZ P0-1 and Fhp-9 and love the ergs and hand feel of both. They are equally accurate at typical range distances and represent good quality and value!

Heck for the price of a Sig or HK, you can own both of these fine pistols!

Did I mention of all the above-listed guns, the P0-1 is the only one bearing NATO testing certification? Many of the above-listed did not even try and I understand Glock withdrew from the testing! Jus' sayin'.....

Water-Man
February 20, 2010, 04:38 PM
Durable and reliable for what purpose? If for ordinary type citizen use, almost all of the top brand pistols fit the bill. If you plan on going into combat with it well, that's another story.

g19g26
February 20, 2010, 05:59 PM
What??

You mean sombody makes a 9mm besides Glock?

I don't believe it:fire:

ainokea
February 20, 2010, 08:05 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents

Glock 34
S&W M&P PRO
STI 2011

BlayGlock
February 21, 2010, 12:01 AM
Glock

rocinante
February 21, 2010, 11:37 AM
I am pleased the S&W 5906 is well regarded especially in light the criteria was durable/reliable. I have a 915 and it has sent very bullet of every sort down range without a single failure. It is the economy model of the line and maligned because of a dumb usage lawsuit and some rapper infamy but it is the one I keep as a nightstand gun. I trust it will go bang.

xx78
February 21, 2010, 12:17 PM
I have several 9mm pistols and will say that I like the S&W M&P very much. It is truly ambidextrous, the grip size can be changed and mine has never experienced a malfunction. The Glock is an excellent pistol as well. But, I do not like the feel or the looks of the pistol. Another good one is the Sig 226. Most quality 9mm pistols will perform very well. I guess I'm saying it's subjective. Pick the one you like and shoot the best.

huduguru
March 29, 2010, 11:37 PM
If you carry that 5906 you will be lookin' like a fool
with your pants on the ground. :D

That baby is heavy.

inSight-NEO
March 30, 2010, 12:37 AM
Money is no object? Sig Sauer P226, hands down. Frankly, I think this is one of the best (if not THE best) 9mm ever made.

If money is an object...the Springfield Armory XD9 or possibly a Glock. But, Glock is an acquired taste, so....my bet here goes with the XD9.

easyg
March 30, 2010, 09:48 AM
Like others have already said, just about all of the major firearms makers produce reliable and durable pistols.
You really can't go wrong with Glock, Sig, HK, CZ, FN, S&W, Springfield Armory, Beretta, Ruger, etc....especially if you go with one of their older more proven pistols instead of the newest ones, which lack a proven track record.

My personal choice:

Glock.

Here's why:
All pistols will eventually have parts wear out.
The more you shoot, the sooner those worn parts will need to be replaced.
One of the great things about Glocks is that they are extremely easy for anyone to work on.
In just a few minutes you can learn to completely detail strip a Glock and replace parts yourself.
And Glock parts are very easy to get, both factory and after-market parts, and are rather affordable as well.

Good luck and happy shooting,
Easy

Fastcast
March 30, 2010, 11:04 AM
There's plenty of quality 9mm's so....much of this I'm sure is personal preference.

With that said, for me it would be the CZ75 and their variants of that design. It's a proven design that I'd guess 95% of people instantly fall for, after shooting. Natural ergonomics for the masses, exceptional reliability, exceptional accuracy and its all steel design. I've never heard of weak, spongy, flexing, cracking and/or blown frames on the CZ or the other steel designs. That alone, without a doubt, moves them ahead of any of the polymer designs. IMO

Honorable mention for me: BHP, Sig 226 & Beretta 92

ol' scratch
March 30, 2010, 11:12 AM
CZ-75 or a Browning Hi Power.

robertbank
March 30, 2010, 11:43 AM
"Hello guys! I have some great news but also need your help. My father has just promised to get me a new pistol regardless of is price as soon as he starts to work as a professor at the university! So I really donít need something that is going to be just a collector item, I want something I can depend on, I want the most durable and reliable 9mm that money can buy? What should I choose? "

To Carry: CZ 75D Compact PCR (Have CZ Custom do a trigger job on the gun)
To Play USPSA/IDPA: CZ SP-01 Shadow (Install new grips/competiton hammer and have a complete trigger job down on it by CZ Custom)
General Range Plinking: CZ85 Combat with a .22LR Kit

BEST Compromise: CZ 85 Combat

These guns are well built with a soild reputation for durability, accuracy and reliability.

Take Care

Bob

bg226
March 30, 2010, 12:14 PM
SIG Sauer P226ST (stainless steel frame, not aluminum).

cz75bdneos22
March 30, 2010, 03:42 PM
i would start with CZ's, as your starting point, then move up in price to include Glock's, Sigs, and finally H&K's, in that order...test fire as many models as fit your intended use criteria and evaluate each one on the merits of fit to your particular ergonomics, ease of manipulating controls, controllablility in rapis fire strings and as a lastly on price point, which you stated does not affect your overall decision. choose the one that best meets your needs and report back to us on what you ended up with. We need details, man!! LoL...:D

winchester '97
March 30, 2010, 11:16 PM
The obvious answer is a sig 210 series, if dear old dad is footing the bill :D. Read up on them, supposed to be more accurate than the rest of the sig line and actually made by the Swiss, not just a Swiss owned company. Ive seen test results showing groups as small as .5 inch, and its built wth all the quality you can expect from the swiss.

Skillet
March 31, 2010, 01:14 AM
Check this site out-
www.best9mm.com

I really reccomend the cz line of guns. The cz75b and the cz po-1 are their most popular handguns as of now. I would really check them out. They are as reliable as glocks and as if not more accurate. And the ergenomics are amazing. Looking in the five hundred dollar
range. Check out their site-
http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-b/
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p01/

ozmosis
March 31, 2010, 04:23 AM
I have been carrying and shooting the CZ P-01 for almost 5 years now and have never had any issues with it. My list would look like this,
1. CZ P-01 for concealed carry and general purpose does everything I could ask for. And it is so fun to shoot!
Your first gun should be made of metal and last so you can hand it down to your son when he is old enough. Good luck with your search!

stinger 327
March 31, 2010, 04:32 AM
Glock you pick the caliber. The magazines are interchangeable between the small versions and regular size versions of the same caliber. The only thing I have known a glock to jam was the "Limp wrist grip".

Bookworm
March 31, 2010, 05:18 AM
I've a ruger p89 that's never had an issue, it will feed anything, and as rugged and reliable as it gets. They are inexpensive also.

stinger 327
March 31, 2010, 05:21 AM
I actually would go for a .45 ACP over the 9mm it is a much more accurate round and fun to shoot.

Fastcast
March 31, 2010, 09:55 AM
You mean sombody makes a 9mm besides Glock?

I don't believe it:fire:

Uhhh sure.....More durable, absolutely!.....More accurate, yes!.....Just as reliable, yes!......OUCH :neener:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/2435/glock21kb1sh.jpg

Marshall
March 31, 2010, 10:00 AM
Simple. Browning/FN Hi Power.

bri
March 31, 2010, 12:51 PM
Hit the rental range and see what you like and shoot the best. Any of the Glock 9mm family or the BHP are my picks.

Nushif
March 31, 2010, 01:06 PM
I dunno, a nice 3 inch or 4 inch barrel SP101 would be nice for plinking and it won't ever break ....
Can't say I liked the trigger on mine though.
Alternatively a nice snubbie would be a good choice, too.

Can you tell I'm biased?

[edit happens after this]

Actually, something just occurred to me! Look for something that has dirt cheap ammo on top of being fun to shoot, so you can shoot the snot out of it for little to no cost!

That's what I'd do, look for shooting comfort and ammo prices.

jonboynumba1
March 31, 2010, 01:31 PM
I've owned a LOT of guns (several hundred) over the years...I'm a GUN ADDICT...I've carried a lot and shot them a lot. When you think "most reliable 9mm" I automatically thing of the GLOCK 17 it was my first GLOCK....I have no idea how many cases of 9mm I shot through it...it was like 8-10 years old and a cop trade in when I bought it! I have a bud with a documented 75-80 thousand on his duty G17 (he a training officer and gets to go to a lot of schools) he's just recently noticed a drop in accuracy...I had another bud that trained people for a living tell me around 75000 rounds you need to pop a new barrel in...springs every year or whenever it feels like it needs it or breaks (he had a lot of different models based on what department he was training used but several GLOCKS...so this is based on round counts few of us get to ever reach PER YEAR) So my assessment is you buy a G17 (or 19) and put a spare $100 barrel and some spare recoil spring kits from wolf and a one piece steel guiderod from them in your gun and you've got 150,000+ rounds of shooting to go before you need anything else...if you need more than that I guess you'll just have to live with "usable" instead of "very decent" accuracy and keep using the old bbl's!! That said I kinda like XD's better these days as far as shooting goes...but reiablility...you can't beat a GLOCK IMHO you can dissassemble them with a punch and a rock if you had to and anything shy of a frame or slide failure (REDICULOUSLY RARE....especially in 9mm models!) you just swap the part from a spare parts bin and go on shooting...very modular design that way...XD's a very reliable but not as service friendly and much harder to round up all the parts for. Though I own enough of em now I can send anything back short of a rollpin breaking and let them deal with it.

I'd wished after the first 6-8 handguns I'd bought a G17 first! Then you're going to want a good 1911 in .45...cause guns are like potatoe chips...you can't have just one!

NOLAEMT
March 31, 2010, 01:59 PM
my pick is for an HK in whatever flavor you want.
p2000, p30, p30L, USP, etc.

mjackson
March 31, 2010, 10:40 PM
Good suggestions, no doubt, but if you want to make your father's promotion memorable for him and yourself then I suggest a Sig P210. Higher quality doesn't exist. This pistol was designed and made by people who probably really get angry at the thought of cutting corners for the sake of profit. Reliability for its high accuracy is probably unequalled. This is a service grade weapon meant to feed and function without problems and yet have its parts fully interchangeable with any other P210. I asked a German shooter who regularly competes with a P210 in Bianchi Cup competition about durability and she said that despite 80,000+ round count, she has not replaced a single part on the pistol and accuracy has not changed. Enough said, now go find one. Good luck.

turbocat
March 31, 2010, 11:23 PM
i just read a review in a magazine by massad ayoob on the beretta PX4 storm in which he states that he has never seen or heard of a failure of any kind with this pistol. he further states that when the PX4 storms competors have all failed, it is 100% reliable. he trusts it. of course there are several ads around the article. ymmv from his:rolleyes:

Fishman777
March 31, 2010, 11:57 PM
Either a Browning Hi Power or a Stainless Steel 9mm 1911.

They might not be the most durable and reliable pistols, but they are the most desirable guns to me at the higher price point...

NOLAEMT
April 1, 2010, 01:10 AM
i just read a review in a magazine by massad ayoob on the beretta PX4 storm in which he states that he has never seen or heard of a failure of any kind with this pistol. he further states that when the PX4 storms competors have all failed, it is 100% reliable. he trusts it. of course there are several ads around the article. ymmv from his:rolleyes:

while he may trust it, I can vouch for the fact that it will fail.

A couple months ago I was at the local in door range, waiting for a lane to open up, and I was watching a local sheriffs deputy practice with his duty weapon, a 9mm px4. he had multiple failures with his weapon, sometimes several in one magazine, all with factory ammo. But perhaps this was operator induced error, as he also had a Negligent discharge into the table in front of him:fire::banghead::cuss: he looked around, no one had the balls to call him out on it, so he kept on shooting

Seagrave7
April 1, 2010, 01:21 AM
Definitely recommend Sig 226.

UnTainted
April 1, 2010, 02:05 AM
I went with a STAINLESS frame Sig 229. It's a nightstand gun with 17+1 goodness and all that steel to absorb the recoil. The 226 rocks too (seen second), but I have a smaller hand, so I went with the 229. Seriously, though, I only get so cool-aid-ish because of the TRIGGER on a sig. You might say I'm a trigger fan-boy. BHP close second.

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/229-elite-stain-detail-L.jpg

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P226-elite-st-detail-L.jpg

OR, GO ALL OUT!!! The SigSauer 226 X-Five. This is the bee's cheese of 9mms, here. Mhmmm hmmm.

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P226-XFIVE-detail-L.jpg

stinger 327
April 1, 2010, 03:16 AM
while he may trust it, I can vouch for the fact that it will fail.

A couple months ago I was at the local in door range, waiting for a lane to open up, and I was watching a local sheriffs deputy practice with his duty weapon, a 9mm px4. he had multiple failures with his weapon, sometimes several in one magazine, all with factory ammo. But perhaps this was operator induced error, as he also had a Negligent discharge into the table in front of him:fire::banghead::cuss: he looked around, no one had the balls to call him out on it, so he kept on shooting
Couldn't the "Limp wrist" jam it? I have seen Glock 17 jammed many times by this.

kashton
April 1, 2010, 04:59 AM
German made Sig P228. 13+1 mag of Double Tap Gold-Dot 9mm.

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss38/HAWKEYEG27/P228007.jpg
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss38/HAWKEYEG27/P228008.jpg

Sweet pistol ;)

Cookie45
April 2, 2010, 03:35 AM
Of all the 9mm I've had, the 4 I enjoy shooting most are- Sig 226, Glock 17L, Springfield 1911 and Browning HPs. All are utterly reliable.

harmon rabb
April 2, 2010, 08:09 AM
hey, my sig 226 stovepiped on me once. :eek:

aka108
April 2, 2010, 10:35 AM
No one has yet to mention the Star M30. Not made anymore and the Company is gone. TheM30 just keeps going. It is not a highly finished item, a little rough aroud the edges so to speak but is accurate and reliable. Some used as range rental guns have gone 150,000 rds without any problem.

MisterMike
April 2, 2010, 10:58 AM
If cost were no object, I'd probably buy an H&K or Sig; they're great guns and beautifully made. However, I'm a Kool-Aid drinker. Despite any assertions to the contrary--and a steady stream of bashers--if durability and reliability are indeed the overriding criteria, Glock is the only answer.

Having said that, any of the major brands mentioned are generally very, very reliable. You should try a variety of pistols and decide which one feels and shoots the best for you.

sprink268
April 3, 2010, 02:29 AM
I have a Belgian made BHP, original owner for 20 years. First gun I ever bought. Shot it side by side with my CZ PCR and did better with the CZ. Top Gun Supply has the CZ P-01 on sale for $460, which is $100 off. BUY IT, you will NOT be disappointed. In fact, I might be persuaded to let go of the BHP, if the price is right. I don't shoot it enough and I need to clear out some inventory, lol!!

TheTestPilot
April 3, 2010, 03:45 PM
HK Mk 23 and pretend it is 9mm!

PowerG
April 3, 2010, 11:39 PM
If you've got the hands for it, and don't plan on carrying concealed, the M9 is one of the best. The CZ-75 and Hi-Power are good guns also.

APIT50
April 4, 2010, 01:43 AM
If what you are really looking for is primarily "reliability and durability" then a Glock is going to be very difficult to beat. Glocks have been durability tested up to 800,000-1,000,000 rounds last I saw and reliability with quality ammunition has been flawless for me through approx. 10,000 rounds. I have had two failures and those were due to the ammunition and not he pistol.

BTW; I have used the Beretta M9, military variant of the Beretta 92FS, and have my own views of it. However, that being said, it is a quite reliable weapon if the magazines are well cared for. In the durability department, the locking lugs on the barrel will eventually wear out and break.

ckone
April 4, 2010, 01:44 AM
Glock 17/19/26/34

jimk66
April 4, 2010, 04:59 PM
Hk p7/p7m8

MIL-DOT
April 4, 2010, 10:23 PM
(Like you really need another response, but.......:D )
I also recommend (in alphabetical order) CZ,Glock or Sig.
But, as has already been pointed out, this being a gift from your father, and one that you don't need to skimp on, I think you should go with a nice Sig.
25 years from now, holding and looking at this pistol, you'll be glad you didn't go with plastic.
( And I'm a huge Glock fan. I recently traded my 20+ year old G17, and am debating on getting a new G19 this week. But my Sig 226 that I've had just as long, isn't going anywhere;) )

DCB
September 8, 2010, 09:19 AM
Any of the Beretta 92 series guns (Cougar included).
Check this out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8_uN0OIVs

Peace

Thaddeus Jones
September 8, 2010, 10:16 AM
S&W 5906 and 3906. Stainless steel, reliable and accurate. Won't break the bank to purchase LNIB either.

Prion
September 8, 2010, 11:33 AM
I'm guessing he already made a decision.

Nushif
September 8, 2010, 03:31 PM
Any of the various moderm service guns is plenty reliable.

Go with what fits you best and steer clear of the oddballs amd you'll have what you're looking for.

Captcurt
September 8, 2010, 07:17 PM
I've had 2 hi-powers, a 9 and a 40. My 40 Practical is my favorite, but I could live with the CZ. Good ergonomics and very well built.

Carter
September 8, 2010, 07:53 PM
Glock 9mm's are extremely reliable. They also have crazy amounts of aftermarket options. You could put a flash hider, 33 round magazines, 3.5 trigger pull, any rail mounted option, and even a red dot. But that'd be a bit over board...fun though.

Sigs and XD's seem to be good too.

If you want old school class I'd go for a Browning Hi Power or 1911 in 9mm (if you can find a good one).

sniper4usmc
September 17, 2010, 08:16 PM
I dont like Glock,but GLock is most reliable.durable pistol

Maia007
September 17, 2010, 11:30 PM
"Durable, reliable REGARDLESS of price".

Then the Sig 210 hands down. And you get superb accuracy as well. Those who haven't owned one are not entitled to comment.

Others?

Yes, but in the second tier. These might include the HK P7, the BHP and perhaps a few others.

~Boomslang~
September 18, 2010, 12:31 AM
Buy the gun that feels and points most naturally to you. If you can, rent a couple of your narrowed down choices. See which one you shoot best. Any of the major manufactures will be fine. Some great beginners choices that are very durable, and easy to master: Sig P250 Double action only very solid and straight forward, CZ P01 survived one of the most rigorous torture test know to man, Glock 19, reputation speaks for its self, Smith and Wesson M&P series.

Pilot
September 18, 2010, 08:35 AM
No question. The Browning Hi Power fits this description. Battle proven and still used by front line troops and many for CCW and home defense.

ChCx2744
September 18, 2010, 08:53 AM
I have owned, fired and carried many 9mm pistols. I personally believe the Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, CZ 75, Beretta 92 and S&W M&P 9 are all solid guns that will not disappoint you. 9mm is my favorite pistol caliber because I trust it and it is widely available. The fact that you are thinking "9mm" is a good thing.

vikinggirl
September 18, 2010, 07:02 PM
Cast my vote in the CZ rami ring. Very reliable and comfortable in the hand.

FourTeeFive
July 13, 2011, 06:46 PM
What did you end up with?

3. Beretta 92FS or M9
5. Sig Sauer P226

I'm not a huge fan of polymer guns, although I do have a G17. So I would go with the list above, and also vote for the CZ SP-01 Tactical as a "must see" gun to check out. It is a very good value, but if you want to spend more you can get the CZ custom shop versions.

I should point out the CZ SP-01 is a steel-frame gun and the other two are allow frames. So if you're not going to use this as a carry gun I would go with the SP-01.

siggy
July 13, 2011, 08:12 PM
WHAT No love for the Kahr K9 elite This one is built very solid Has one of the best dao triggers in the business can be concealed AND feels the best in hand Only drawback is limited capacity But it is still worth trying My vote goes with Sig 226 stainless though

Skidawg
July 13, 2011, 08:21 PM
Glock 19 with a Crimson Trace laser, you cannot beat 15 rounds in the same hole. Learn the trigger and practice, practice, practice. According to the experts 115 gr ammo is what the Glock 19 likes best.

HKGuns
July 13, 2011, 10:59 PM
Regardless of what all the GlOcK talkers posting in here think they know, the most durable/reliable money can buy would be either HK or Sig.

I'm partial to HK because they fit me better.

REAPER4206969
July 14, 2011, 01:46 AM
Cool story, HK.

mopar92
July 14, 2011, 02:32 AM
Glock / XD
Then Sig

chriske
July 14, 2011, 08:42 AM
SIG P-210, would be my choice. They're making them again.

wildehond
July 14, 2011, 09:04 AM
Any of the top brands named here will do. I lean towards the Glock17, but the choice is yours. Then get your dad to put you on a good course that teaches you the proper way with a handgun. But spend lots on the ammo and practice what you have learned. No handgun is going to be inherently accurate. I use to frustrate the people at my local range with my beat-up CZ75 preB. I shot that gun a lot and practiced even more. Dry-fire drills and fitness. It was no less or more accurate that the G19 I used to rent from the range at times.

WinThePennant
July 14, 2011, 09:41 AM
If money is no object, then the clear hands down winner is a Sig P226. I own one, and I think it's the best 9mm ever made.

w2fnt
July 14, 2011, 09:46 AM
If ownership is going to be the criteria for reliability then Glock wins by a very wide margin as a world wide favorite. I do believe they are the best selling pistol in the world since their introduction.

Dafish2011
July 14, 2011, 01:10 PM
I like the Glock 17, my next 9mm will be the Glock 34.

With the 3.5 connector swap and some practice they can be
great IDPA guns.

w2fnt
July 14, 2011, 01:28 PM
I like the Glock 17, my next 9mm will be the Glock 34.

With the 3.5 connector swap and some practice they can be
great IDPA guns.
I thought they were already. Has something changed at IDPA?

TonyT
July 14, 2011, 10:10 PM
Are you interested in a 9mm pistol for competition or concealed carry?
For competition I would choose (depending on the class in which you want to xcompete) a Dan Wesson PM-9, CZ Tactical Sport, S&W M&P9Pro or Glock-34.
For concealed carry I would look at The S&W M&P's, and Glocks.
There is also the S&W 952 which is a very accurate 9 shot pistol.
In the used departent you should consider the S&W 3rd generation 9mm's - super reliable, all stainless and built like the literal tank.

woad_yurt
July 16, 2011, 11:04 AM
I'd check out some prime, old Belgian Hi-Powers if I had an offer like that.

I recently got one (my first!) and the build quality is on par with older S&W revolvers. They really made 'em nicely.

Pizzagunner
July 16, 2011, 05:29 PM
It takes more effort to find an awful duty sized 9mm than to find a great one from scores of makers.

And for people who think an aluminum frame cannot compete on the durability front, hunt up Ben Stoeger's videos on YouTube or at his website. He competes with mostly stock Beretta Elite II pistols, some of which have exceeded 100k rounds downrange without any frame damage.

thefamcnaj
July 16, 2011, 05:42 PM
Oh man you have quite a decision. Here would be my top 5
1)G17 or G19(tie for first) They are super reliable and very accurate. countless accesories.
2)HK usp 9 DA/SA. It will take a beating and keep going bang no matter what.
3)Sig p229- feels great in the hand and never let you down. great looking and super accurate.
4) Browing hi power The must have 9mm
5)Springfield xdm. Sexy looking polymer offering. Has the match grade barrel, holds 19+1 very dependable and very reliable

Paul7
July 16, 2011, 07:41 PM
I don't think Glocks are any more reliable than the other better-known 9mms. I got rid of two that weren't reliable, one even after going back to the factory in GA. My two Sigs and my beat-up Israeli BHP have never failed me.

SharpsDressedMan
July 16, 2011, 08:31 PM
I have a CZ75, Browning Hi Power, S&W 3914, Beretta 92FS, Walther P99, and P5C. I'd fight with any one of them. All reliable, accurate, and user friendly. If I were in another place, and did not have my own guns, I'd be happy to have a Glock 17 or 19, or Sig 228/228/239. Of course, if I weren't restricted to a 9mm, I'd choose the Glock 29 10mm. Best packing and fighting gun I've found so far.

franko07
July 16, 2011, 10:24 PM
Wilson spec ops 9, best gun in 9mm all around

Effigy
July 17, 2011, 12:08 AM
Any modern pistol beyond a certain price point is going to be reliable, assuming you stick with reputable manufacturers. Beyond that it's mainly a question of which fits your hand best and has the features you want.

Tungsram
July 17, 2011, 12:44 AM
Sig P226 voter here.

w2fnt
July 17, 2011, 12:48 AM
Glock seems to be the trend setter that everyone else is trying to follow. I don't think anyone can match them for sales or LEO use.

jmresistance
July 17, 2011, 06:17 AM
1. G-17
3. Beretta 92FS or M9
5. Sig Sauer P226
+1

Can't beat the Glock 17. It's not the only good option, but you would never regret it.

meanmrmustard
July 18, 2011, 05:54 PM
I like the S&W sigma 9ve. Never a jam, light, comfortable, affordable. Glocks are good too, but I don't like their grips, even the newer ones. But, it's reliable. So, I'd say the sigma, g17, and sig 226.

Wags
July 18, 2011, 09:01 PM
Browning Hi-Power. If you have to ask now you've already missed the boat.....

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/bwagss/IMG_0720.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/bwagss/IMG_0695.jpg

918v
July 18, 2011, 11:01 PM
THE most durable? Try the Sig P210. Although the Glock is pretty durable, the P210 is built like a brick.

This thread is not worthy of the P210.

Tape
July 19, 2011, 12:12 AM
the G17 was voted as the #3 best firearm in history by Rifleman magazine, and #1 9mm in history. I have the 4th gen G17.

Weevil
July 19, 2011, 01:29 AM
If durability and reliability are the primary concerns I'd go with the Glock 17.

It's a big pistol for a 9mm so it's gonna soak up a lot of punishment even from +P ammo. With the tenifer finish and polymer frame it's extremely corrosion resistant, and it's a very comfortable and controllable pistol to shoot.

As for reliability the Glocks are legendary for it and the 9mm Glocks like the G17 have never had the KB issues the .40s did.

Plus all the accessories, parts, and reasonably priced mags you could ever want or need.

Now of course there are nicer looking, better status symbols, out there if you want something fancier.

TexasBill
July 19, 2011, 10:02 AM
Glocks are fine pistols but they aren't the holy grail. There are many other equally fine pistols on the market. (My own aversion to Glocks has nothing whatsoever to do with their quality, reliability or suitability for you, it's a personal issue: they don't feel right in my hand and I don't like funny triggers.)

If the money isn't an object, the SIG P210 would be hard to beat. Another top-flight single-action pistol is the Browning High-Power that has received a number of recommendations. The SIG P226 German is also a nice gun.

One polymer pistol I have seen mentioned just once is the FN-Herstal FNP-9 or FNX-9. Both are really nice pistols at a reasonable price. They are comfortable in the hand and have a superb trigger pull for a mid-priced pistol.

The Beretta PX4 Storm F is also very nice, though it is sensitive to limp-wristing. The rotary barrel action really dampens the recoil.

H&K makes an excellent 9mm, as does Smith & Wesson and the Walther P99 would be one of the few striker-fired pistols I would consider.

You've got a wonderful opportunity, so take your time, try as many as you can, and find the one that's right for you.

rellascout
July 19, 2011, 11:42 AM
Why was this thread brought back from the dead. The orginal OP was in 02/2010.... :scrutiny:

For the record it stated:

Hello guys! I have some great news but also need your help. My father has just promised to get me a new pistol regardless of is price as soon as he starts to work as a professor at the university! So I really don’t need something that is going to be just a collector item, I want something I can depend on, I want the most durable and reliable 9mm that money can buy? What should I choose?

So many of the guns which have been mentioned do not fit the critieria given in the orginal post. IMHO

The P210 is a great gun. Maybe one the best 9mm ever made but as a defensive weapon,which the OPs call for reliablity and durablity seem to imply, IMHO it falls short. There are so many 9mms which are easier to operate, will have less user error, have greater capacity and are cheaper and easier to maintain. I personally would not want to take one of these to a tactical shooting course where I had to fire 1000+ rounds.

To me the orignal post is asking about a combat 9mms. For me durablity of a combat gun is the ability to fire a lot of rounds in a short period of time without cleaning the gun. Here is my list in no particular order these guns should be considered. These are guns which you can take to a pistol training course and shoot 1000+ rounds in a day out of an expect them to perform without issue. That is not to say you will not have a stoppage but that you are minimizing your chances of one. I am sure I missed a few but I am listing only guns I have personally shot extensively.

Glock 19
Glock 17
Sig P228
Sig P226
BHP
CZ 75B
Beretta 92FS
HK P30

In the end its all about what you shoot best. 99% of guns sold in this country are never going to be shot to the point of failure due to metal fatigue of their major parts. Yes springs, slide stops, hammers, sears, safeties etc might wear out but frame a slide failure unless it happens early almost never appears. So in a lot of ways the question is moot.

How many people replying to this thread have shot a 9mm to the point of failure that was not caused by a defect in materials or ammo related? I am talking about 30,000 to 50,000 rounds. The avg gun is going to be able to shoot more rounds than most shooters will ever send down the pipe in a lifetime. The orginal OP did not specify what he meant by "durable and reliable" so I guess that is why there are so many correct answers. LOL :)

ol' scratch
July 19, 2011, 12:30 PM
I would vote CZ 75 followed by a Browning Hi Power. The ergonomics are much better on both of these than they ever have been on a Glock. Don't get me wrong, the Glocks are a great pistol. I decided not to get one due to the spotty record with reloads and the poor ergonomics for me.

Pizzagunner
July 19, 2011, 12:54 PM
Glock seems to be the trend setter that everyone else is trying to follow. I don't think anyone can match them for sales or LEO use.
No one has been able to match the popularity or sales volume of the Big Mac globally either.

The Big Mac still sucks as a hamburger for anyone who has more than lowest common denominator standards.

SharpsDressedMan
July 19, 2011, 01:47 PM
I want to go on notice here with those that always have a problem with a thread being resurrected. What's the problem? There is ALWAYS more information to be had, another viewpoint, etc. Let a new member speak, or a new idea come around. Or even rehash an old idea to see what holds water. If it bothers you that much, DON'T READ IT! I'd like to slace this in a "sticky", but the person that needs to read it wouldn't read it anyway.............

meanmrmustard
July 19, 2011, 11:48 PM
+1 for pizza gunner!

Glock is defined as reliable and trustworthy...and annoying to discuss, ugly, uncomfortable, and talked about incessantly. They'll be around long after we are, I'm sure. But when I'm target shooting in heaven/hell, it'll be with something like a p226.

SharpsDressedMan
July 20, 2011, 01:40 AM
Economically, the Big Mac will keep you alive longer than the high priced burgers. You get 4-6 Big Macs for the price of every sports bar burger.

the_hustleman
July 20, 2011, 01:42 AM
I like the S&W sigma 9ve. Never a jam, light, comfortable, affordable. Glocks are good too, but I don't like their grips, even the newer ones. But, it's reliable. So, I'd say the sigma, g17, and sig 226.

I agree with the sigma.

Great cheap gun!

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Weevil
July 20, 2011, 03:14 AM
Well yeah Sigmas are a decent pistol but they're such a blatant rip-off of Glock's design that Glock sued and won a patent infringement case against S&W.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/397138/the_smith_and_wesson_sigma_series_pistol.html

vaherder
July 20, 2011, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by w2fnt
"Glock seems to be the trend setter ...." if you say so. What trends has Glock started in the past 20 years? Now compare and contrast to Walther, Sig, Fnh, and H&K. Paper due by COB Friday. Sources and citations please.

miles1
July 20, 2011, 09:00 AM
Hello guys! I have some great news but also need your help. My father has just promised to get me a new pistol regardless of is price as soon as he starts to work as a professor at the university! So I really donít need something that is going to be just a collector item, I want something I can depend on, I want the most durable and reliable 9mm that money can buy? What should I choose?
You just described a Glock.

ol' scratch
July 20, 2011, 10:11 AM
You just described a Glock.
Really? Why don't you just drink some more punch. :rolleyes::neener:

Jonah71
July 20, 2011, 10:28 AM
I honestly don't see dependability as the serious concern it once was when buying handguns. It's now a matter of choice. There really aren't many undependable guns on the market these days and when a serious problem does come up, it's usually dealt with quickly. Seriously, I don't hear the term "jamomatic" nearly as often as I did in the 70's-80's. I've become somewhat of a Glock fan lately. But I've also purchased CZ's, Springfields, Bersa's, Tauri (that was a very dependable 9mm) and several other brands. The new Ruger 1911 is calling my name the past few days, But my wallet says NO(for now). Like wcoats and several others have said, shoot what feels best to you and what you shoot the best.

meanmrmustard
July 20, 2011, 06:11 PM
Well yeah Sigmas are a decent pistol but they're such a blatant rip-off of Glock's design that Glock sued and won a patent infringement case against S&W.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...es_pistol.html

Well, that particular case was the Sigma V series, an older design of the weapon. The Sigma VE series is the gun Im referring to. As for that case, who cares? Theres umpteen makers of 1911 variations (I know the patent is expired, so dont bother), but that doesnt stop them from being made in every color of the rainbow. Besides, if the Sigma shoots like a Glock, strips like a Glock, is reliable (in my own opinion, cuz I own one), is COMFORTABLE (something I shall never attribute to a Glock), has excellent customer service support, and is substantially cheaper than a Glock...then screw Glock!!! Instead of suing Smith and Wesson, Glock shoulda took notes on how they made a knock off of their own gun more ergonomic.

KodiakBeer
July 20, 2011, 07:19 PM
Economically, the Big Mac will keep you alive longer than the high priced burgers. You get 4-6 Big Macs for the price of every sports bar burger.

Yeah, but if you want the best you'll go with a premium rib eye steak. Which, means you'll buy the Hi Power.

Fastcast
July 20, 2011, 08:15 PM

Sometimes less is more......It can argued it's in ones best health interest to eat to live, not live to eat. :)

9mmforMe
July 20, 2011, 08:50 PM
Ruger P95PR15.

PlateStacker
July 20, 2011, 10:02 PM
Regardless of what all the GlOcK talkers posting in here think they know, the most durable/reliable money can buy would be either HK or Sig.

I'm partial to HK because they fit me better.
x2

Sig 226 or HK USP are the top two best in my book. Followed my 92FS and maybe the M&P.

EasyGunner
July 20, 2011, 10:15 PM
I have a Beretta M9 that I have been shooting for years and it is a very reliable pistol with great accuracy for any home defence situation. The Recoil to me seems lighter than my friends glock 17. Brand new the berettas are a little pricy but not as much as sig's. Get a used 92FS or M9 from a police trade in for 400ish.

Strykervet
July 20, 2011, 10:32 PM
Among others, I have an early gen. 2 G17, been factory reconditioned once. Untold number of rounds, it really shows some wear. All small plastic parts have had to be replaced due to cracking or breaking at some point since the reconditioning. It has gone through its fair share of recoil springs, and it came with the non-captured version.

No hiccups in all the years I have owned it, it digests everything, the trigger is great compared to new ones, and it is still a very accurate 9mm pistol. No rust, no problems. One tough pistol. I still carry it today and have total confidence in it.

I remember reading an article about Glock's toughness over ten years ago. One was found in the ocean after being there for years, sent back, a little work and it worked fine. Another stolen and found under a dumpster at ATL with the action locked back. Over ten years of garbage juice and the elements later, all it needed was a cleaning and a new recoil assembly. Another one found in a drain ditch, years of sediment and water... Same story. Clean, swap springs, shoot. There were others too, and if you find a truly mangled Glock, Glock will buy it back or give you a new one so they can repair that one to show just how tough they are. That was the gist of the story back then at least.

The Glock is simply the AK-47 of the handgun world, but more accurate.

wwwprof
July 21, 2011, 11:50 PM
There are several very good guns available that are reliable. Try some of the ones mentioned consistently through the thread and see what feels best to YOU and what YOU shoot best. What someone else shoots won't matter if you are not comfortable and accurate with it. That being said, my best shooter is a Beretta 92FS Inox.

July 21, 2011, 11:56 PM
Sig or HK.

Fonzie2k
July 22, 2011, 12:43 AM
I'm a huge supporter of Glocks, but if I was a man with money I'd be looking into an H&K. High Powers are really nice too. In a nutshell almost anything mentioned here is an excellent choice... I recommend research on what type of 9mm you want and for what purposes. Do you need a compact or full size? What will you be using it for? Do you want a single,double or a double/single action trigger? Find an honest gun store and try out everything and ask lots of questions.

Also look into magazine/parts availability..i've been burned by that technicality before (damn you Star BM)

jackpinesavages
July 22, 2011, 09:35 AM
Glock 9mm, whichever best fits your hand and usage: 17, 19, or the 34 for competition stuff if you please. Every 5000 rounds drop in a new $3 recoil spring assembly. (RSA)

Dogguy
July 22, 2011, 09:47 AM
Glock. Any of the 9mm models.

Why? Because they set the standard for reliability and durability in handguns in the 1980s. Everyone else has had to compete against them since.

This does not mean I like Glock the best. I actually prefer SIGs. But I'm realistic.

918v
July 22, 2011, 11:49 AM
The P210 is a great gun. Maybe one the best 9mm ever made but as a defensive weapon,which the OPs call for reliablity and durablity seem to imply, IMHO it falls short. There are so many 9mms which are easier to operate, will have less user error, have greater capacity and are cheaper and easier to maintain. I personally would not want to take one of these to a tactical shooting course where I had to fire 1000+ rounds.

Have you owned avP210? Have you fired a P210 extensively without cleaning. I have. I clean mine about every 400 rounds or so. I have yet to see one malfunction.

Asking for 1000 rounds out of a pistol between cleanings is unreasonable. In combat you will never fire that many rounds between cleaning. People need to be reasonable and treat pistols for what they are. Machine-guns need to be 1000 round reliable, not pistols.

If you enjoyed reading about "The most durable/reliable 9mm that money can buy???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!