1897 Copy vs 590 vs 870

PDA

Boberama
February 10, 2010, 02:41 PM
What would you rather have for social or HD work:
A Norinco 1897 copy, either the Trench or Riot model or a Mossberg 590/500, or a Remington 870.

No accessories may be added!

That includes a bayonet. Also, 3 inch shells are not a consideration.
I recently watched The Wild Bunch.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "1897 Copy vs 590 vs 870" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
February 10, 2010, 03:17 PM
In either period or replica form, the 1897 is more of a curio than a serious 'using' shotgun IMO. And yes, I have one. I love it. They served long and hard as fighting shotguns for the US military, LE etc. I know that.

But it does not lend itself to maintenance. So it's basically a period piece as far as I'm concerned.

Either a 590 or an 870 in riot clothing would do me just fine. I'd like a short stock, a Sidesaddle, a white light and a sling if I could get 'em, but I could live with box stock if I had to.

I don't like 500s for the same reason I don't like the 97 as serious using gun, though the only real problem with the 500 is access to the magazine tube. Why do I harp on access to magazine tubes so much? Stick a shell into one backwards sometimes and you'll see.

And BTW, I might not look it, but I am a Wild Bunch of one. :D

lpl

BHP FAN
February 10, 2010, 05:03 PM
my brother's 97 comes apart in seconds.Maybe yours is broken? I voted 590,because there wasn't a ''Winchester 1200/1300'' spot on the poll.

throdgrain
February 10, 2010, 05:22 PM
I own a Remington and a Mossy 500, but for self-defence I think a 590 would be a (slightly) (read:very slightly) better bet.

I think I'm going to buy one soon.

They only cost 450 over here (http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Shotguns_Mossberg.php), a bargain I'm sure you'll all agree :p

And they have to have a bit of metal welded on the end (or something like that ;) ) so that the barrel is 24" long.

Oh well. I'll still buy one anyway :)

rcmodel
February 10, 2010, 05:27 PM
my brother's 97 comes apart in seconds.It comes apart in the middle in seconds.

It comes apart in several hours with a lot of cussing if you want to get inside to clean the internal parts.

Not at all like an 870 or Mossy where you just push two pins out with a ball-point pen to drop the guts on the bench in groups for cleaning.

rc

Al LaVodka
February 10, 2010, 05:40 PM
And BTW, I might not look it, but I am a Wild Bunch of one. :D
lpl

Anachronistic or dead!?
;)
Al

Fred Fuller
February 10, 2010, 05:45 PM
Anachronistic of course.

And my 97 is a solid frame...

lpl

ReloaderFred
February 10, 2010, 07:17 PM
I currently own 8 Model 97's and three Model 870's. I once owned a Model 500 and sold it long ago to get a Winchester Model 1200.

The shotgun resting in a corner of my closet to defend my castle with is a Model 870, which is what I carried in a patrol car for over 26 years. Dead nuts reliable and very, very familiar.

My Model 97's are for Cowboy Action shooting for my wife and myself. Two are solid frames and the rest are takedown models, including the Black Diamond Trap.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Fiv3r
February 11, 2010, 10:32 AM
I've always drooled over the 1897's. Very neat guns. However, an ol' 870 is my go-to gun for just about everything. It's tough to beat simple.

Dimis
February 11, 2010, 07:09 PM
I voted 590 its what i own what i use and what i like
i picked the mossy because i like the ergonomics of the controls but thats just my preference the 870 would serve just as well and as stated above the 97 is a beast of a shooter but maintainence is a pain in the butt
i can dissassemble my mossberg a friends remington 3 other shotguns ive never handled before clean the whole group reassemble them all shoot for another hour in the back yard reclean my mossberg and my friends 97 is still a pile of parts on the work bench ok maybe not that bad but close lol

Bill B.
February 11, 2010, 09:32 PM
What would you rather have for social or HD work:

My current is a made in 1937 Winchester 97 takedown. I don't fell undergunned a bit with it. I got to using these old shotguns for CAS years ago and they kinda grew on me so to speak. We shot more rounds in year out of them going to matches than most shoot in a lifetime in the average home defense shotgun. They still get the job done quite nicely! I could get by with either the 590 or the 870 as they are both really good shotguns. The repo 97's for whatever ever reason have never really turned my crank. They just don't work as slick as the original Winchester's IMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "1897 Copy vs 590 vs 870" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!