Fat man CCW

PDA

beeenbag
February 10, 2010, 06:11 PM
what are some of the best ways for a festively plump man like myself to carry concealed comfortably. Havent had my ccw that long, figure some of you more experienced bucks could have a few creative ideas for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fat man CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.E.G.
February 10, 2010, 06:14 PM
Buy a belt that is 2" longer than your regular belt, and buy a high-quality OWB holster.

Wear layered clothing.

That's as comfortable as a 4# hunk of iron strapped to your hip is ever gonna be.

Steve_NEPhila
February 10, 2010, 06:15 PM
Look into pocket holsters for small to medium sized pistols and revolvers.

W.E.G.
February 10, 2010, 06:21 PM
Look into pocket holsters for small to medium sized pistols and revolvers.

Do clothes that fit "tactically padded" folks have bigger-than-ordinary pockets?
Even small (Kel-Tec P-32) pistols, when stuffed in the pocket of my jeans, are inordinately uncomfortable.

beeenbag
February 10, 2010, 06:31 PM
Would you guys snicker behind a fat mans back for carrying and ankle holster?

LeontheProfessional
February 10, 2010, 06:34 PM
Ankle holster is not that great for a larger individual because it is harder to get to. In all reality ankle holsters are not that great in general. Just get a thin pistol and a good IWB holster.

beeenbag
February 10, 2010, 06:37 PM
well the IWB seems unrealistic to me because of the dunlap disease. I dont think i would like the rear of the gun impressed in my fat roll

LeontheProfessional
February 10, 2010, 06:42 PM
buy clothes that are a little big and wear a t-shirt tucked in. that way the pistol will not be forced into direct contact with skin.

beeenbag
February 10, 2010, 07:29 PM
I was really hoping someone would have a cool product that would meet my fat man ccw needs. If so turn loose of the info.

Nick5182
February 10, 2010, 07:34 PM
I also am a rather large individual and I found that carrying in a good leather shoulder holster really helps conceal and be comfortable. When I would carry outside the pants, my weapon stuck out like a sore thumb and also made driving while CCW'ing absolute hell. But my shoulder holster never gets in the way and is easily concealable under a light over shirt. And my carry guns alternate between a Glock 22 and Beretta 92, and they're not small guns by any means, and I can still carry them discreetly and comfortably. My shoulder rig is a Gould & Goodrich that I got from www.galls.com. I hope this helps.

ByAnyMeans
February 10, 2010, 07:38 PM
I am a big guy (6-3 260) but not so much fat (36 inch waist) so I'll just give general advice.

I learned that for me it was important to get a good belt and holster. I went with a med/high riding outer waist band holster and found this to be most comfortable and concealable. You may have good luck with a OWB paddle holster.
I also went with a subcompact Glock allowing me to go from 10-15 rounds with a mag change depending on my dress style for the day. You can do this with many guns nowadays but my point being is size and weight made a difference for me. Also wear a t-shirt so it does not directly contact skin.

Good luck with your seach and let us know what you end up using.

Edit to add:
YOu may want to check out a belly band. It would wrap under all your clothing and you could wear it higher if needed allowing it to be a low hanging shoulder holster that could be covered with a shirt. Not the most accessible option but a compromise. Depending on how large you wear your pants you may be able to pocket carry a KelTec-PF9 or P3AT.

beeenbag
February 10, 2010, 08:03 PM
the belly band kinda sounds like a gurdle. Im not that big lol. Im 6'1" 255 lbs. Im just into comfort and tried carrying a leatherman on my belt one time and it even seemed to jab into my side. I guess im gonna just have to strap my AR across my back and say heck with concealment.

Steel Talon
February 10, 2010, 08:36 PM
Belt carry small of the back is probably the way to go esp.if your sporting a dunlap.Wear a good supported leather belt or the wilderness instructor 5 stitch nylon belt

You can enhance comfotability by wearing suspenders with a belt.

Pocket carry with docker style pants get a good pocket holster such as a desantis. Or imake your own pocket holster

Shoulder rig are the most comfortable depending on your wardrobe.

Chest rig for when your out hunting /hiking ...great for heavy revolvers.

a "safari" vest style allows for an easy carry in a inside pocket holster.

If your shooting IPSC etc compition then a good Kydex and belt rig, suspenders help the support

SASS comp then a cross draw seems to be the big guy choice.

harmon rabb
February 10, 2010, 08:49 PM
well, being a big guy, your pockets are probably much larger than those of skinnier folks. as such, you can probably pocket carry guns, if you buy the right pants, that 160lb guys just could not. you may be able to fit a glock 26/27 in your pocket, which would be freakin sweet.

a guy i work with is a little larger, and he is able to pocket carry a kahr pm40 without printing. i'm smaller, and i can't even fit that kahr in my pocket.

Evil One
February 10, 2010, 08:50 PM
Beeen... I am also a big guy, 6'4" 310ish lbs, 56" chest 42x34/36 pants.
I carry a full size 1911 IWB at 3:30-4:00.
I wear it sun up to sun down.
I find that wearing my normal pants and belt size holds it tight and actually makes it more comfortable for me.

Jim

markallen
February 10, 2010, 09:37 PM
I'm 6', 320lbs. I carry a Govt 1911, in a OWB holster with a good gun belt.
I wear a T shirt tucked in, and a long square tail shirt that covers the holster.
Make sure the holster you pick, either IWB, or OWB has sweat guard to protect the gun, and your skin where it makes contact.
My Don Hume OWB holster is a double slotted holster. I run my belt through the back slot, the put the belt through the pants loop, that is nearest 3:00. Then I run the belt through the front slot of the holster. Then push the holster towards the rear as far as the belt loop underneath will allow.This puts the gun at about the 4:00 position, and keeps the holster tight to my body, and also, with the gun belt, keeps the gun from causing the belt to droop.
With the cant of the holster, it places my grip above and forward of my rear pocket. And the bottom of the holster just touches the side of my rear pocket, and rest right against my wallet.
I carry this way all day, and has been the most comfortable way for me to carry. I can carry the 1911 easier then my revolvers.

Cosmoline
February 10, 2010, 09:40 PM
If you WB carry don't you have to wear a jacket or covering shirt all the time?

beeenbag
February 10, 2010, 09:45 PM
a friend of mine carries IWB year round with a glock. He also has a little extra padding and where he has carried so long, even without the gun on his side he has a permanent indentation on his side where it digs in. Talk about devotion. Its almost like Robo-cops leg holster.

NMGonzo
February 10, 2010, 10:59 PM
OWB and be the bowling/hawaiian/guayabera party animal!

SG1
February 10, 2010, 11:36 PM
I have the dunlap disease too. I carry a 2.25" SP101 in an IWB holster just slightly past 3 o'clock. I find that the small handle rests nicely against my handles of love and I can wear my normal t-shirt and jeans, and conceal perfectly. Even bending and stretching.

Sometimes if I'm riding my motorcycle I wear a belly band high on the chest over a t-shirt and carry a full size 1911 under my left arm. Kind of like a shoulder holster, although I have to wear a jacket to cover it. I wouldn't rule out a belly band. It won't take the place of a good belt type holster, but for $20 you'll be surprised how many different options it can give you.

S&Wfan
February 10, 2010, 11:37 PM
I'm on the stout side too, and IWB holsters are thus out.

Here's what you need for sure:

A 1 1/2" wide belt, made by a holster maker as a gun belt. These are much thicker and stronger than dress belts, yet can pass as your dress belt. They are designed not to stretch much and are designed to carry the extra weight of gun and ammo on your person. DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR BELT . . . it may be the most important item for carrying concealed.

My best fits are a plain, simple Uncle Mike's pocket holster and a J frame Airweight S&W snubbie. Truly, you almost forget it is there and I simply slide it in the pocket and go about my business. No fuss, no bother . . . a PERFECT CCW firearm and holster for a large person.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/363/363373/folders/282194/2328567IMG0121e.jpg

PS: Don't go the ankle route. It is the slowest access of any . . . and not the best one also for folks who are "challenged" bending over to tie their shoes.

MICHAEL T
February 11, 2010, 02:13 AM
markallen and I are about same size I carry a 1911 OWB same way he does with the holster slots and belt loop. I carry my Defender IWB in same location around 8 o clock as I am L/handed
Once you find the spot and have good belt and holster Its no trouble
I have never found a shoulder I liked I have given up on them

Jamie C.
February 11, 2010, 09:33 AM
Would you guys snicker behind a fat mans back for carrying and ankle holster?

No, but I'd probably laugh out loud while watching you try to draw your gun in a hurry. :p :D :evil:

J.

BossHogg
February 11, 2010, 09:50 AM
j-frame front pocket for the summer, jacket weather cco 45 at 330 Iwb/owb.

huntsman
February 11, 2010, 10:04 AM
Good belt OWB holster shirt 1 size longer and bigger worn out is the wall I roll.

My Don Hume OWB holster is a double slotted holster.

Which one? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the H721OT

markallen
February 11, 2010, 10:35 AM
Huntsman;
The Don Hume holster I use is the H721OT.

Casaba
February 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
I just recently got a Kholster and I love it. IWB with kydex but it is mounted on a round piece of leather and is comfortable since it keeps the gun separated from my side. It is a little slower to draw but I like it

Jonah71
February 11, 2010, 12:45 PM
buy clothes that are a little big and wear a t-shirt tucked in. that way the pistol will not be forced into direct contact with skin.
This works for me personally. Especially in winter.

Warhawk83
February 11, 2010, 03:32 PM
Who knew?I'm "tactically padded",:D I guess because of all that "tactical bacon":neener:

I'm 6'1'',270,just bought a G27 for CCW. I got a Blackhawk size 5 IWB holster, it's actually quite comfortable.

beeenbag
February 11, 2010, 08:42 PM
Why cant they make a "belly-button" holster? I could probably conceal real well in there.

Frank Ettin
February 11, 2010, 09:05 PM
I'm 5'7'' and about 220. I carry whenever I legally can, and carry either a 1911 (Commander size) or an H&K P7M8 in an IWB holster. A good belt helps.

I buy clothes that fit, with pants just a little loose. I usually get pants with a 46'' waist. Here I am in Arizona (I have a permit) carrying my P7 in a Milt Sparks Vera Max 2 IWB.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/fiddletown_2006/Arizona/IMG_0213e-1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Fat man CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!