Lost a friend in Iraq this weekend.

PDA

OEF_VET
November 18, 2003, 09:51 AM
I caught the news last night just before going to bed and learned some bad news. As I'm sure you all know, two UH-60 Blackhawks belonging to the 101st crashed this past Saturday. Well, Ft. Campbell released the names of several of the soldiers killed yesterday. One of those was 1LT Pierre Piche of Starksboro, Vermont.

Pierre was a good friend of mine. We met in the summer of '97 when I arrived at Ft. Campbell. At the time, I was a Private and he was a Sergeant. We were both Artillery Forward Observers, assigned to the same platoon in 3rd Battalion, 320th Field Artillery. About a year later, Pierre left the Army and went to college under the ROTC 'Green to Gold' program. Upon graduation he was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry, and was assigned back to the 101st. When he arrived, he was further assigned to A-Company, 1st BN/187th Infantry. The platoon he took over as the Platoon Leader, was the same one he worked for as an FO a couple years prior. He was living an enlisted mans dream, he was in charge of his old unit. (How many GI's have wished they could be in charge of their platoon/company/etc.?)

Pierre leaves behind a wife, whom I'm sure is quite devastated right now.

He was an avid supporter of RKBA and was a true gun-nut. In short, he'd have fit in here just perfectly. In fact, it was our mutual love of guns that caused us to become friends, despite the difference in rank.

Do me a favor, would ya? Next time you're out at the range, shoot off a few rounds while thinking of 1LT Pierre Piche. That's the kind of tribute I'm sure he'd have enjoyed. Also, please say a prayer for his family.

Pierre was an excellent soldier. Even after becoming an officer, he never forgot where he came from.

Frank

If you enjoyed reading about "Lost a friend in Iraq this weekend." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
November 18, 2003, 09:59 AM
:(
Thoughts sent to family and to you Sir.
Yep, will send a few rds downrange in memory/salute to one whom has given the ultimate sacrifice.

Gus Dddysgrl
November 18, 2003, 10:23 AM
Thoughts and prayers go out to family. Salutes go to ones lost.

Definitely will send some down range for him. When carrying too I will think of those who have died to make my right a possibility.

critter
November 18, 2003, 10:29 AM
The loss of a good and brave man, even in a just and necessary cause, is a loss to us all and we all feel it. I know it is even more devistating to family and friends. We are all saddened by the loss and extend our sincerest condolences.

We also salute the contribution and service by all our servicemen and women and of those who wait at home. God bless them all.

BHPshooter
November 18, 2003, 10:33 AM
I feel for you, man.

But try to think of it this way: It shouldn't be sad that he gave his life loyally serving his country; it should be sad that so many of us will never have a chance to forever dedicate our existence to liberty. It should be sad that so many, even fellow Americans, trample upon the hallowed graves of Lt. Piche and his comrades.

We are better as a nation for having a man like him among the ranks, and all the poorer now that he has departed.

My thoughts to you, and to the lieutenant's family. :(

Wes

Greg L
November 18, 2003, 11:52 AM
:(

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I will certainly send a few downrange in his (and others) honor the next time out.

(How many GI's have wished they could be in charge of their platoon/company/etc.?)

My recruiter was once assigned to my platoon :evil: . But that certainly isn't an appropriate story for this thread.

Greg

newman32
November 18, 2003, 01:48 PM
Sorry for your loss. It really is a loss for us all. We live in dangerous times, and I have the utmost respect for all of our folks in uniform.

ARGarrison
November 18, 2003, 02:12 PM
Freedom isn't free, sometimes the price is high. My prayers and condolences go out to Lt. Piche family and freinds. Consider the rounds sent.

RustyHammer
November 18, 2003, 02:17 PM
Outgoing sent!

Prayers follow ...

Rusty

P95Carry
November 18, 2003, 02:18 PM
OEF_VET .. that sux, big time. Every time I hear of losses, I think ''somewhere, family is grieving - friends are grieving .. this time it touches closer than usual.Next time you're out at the range, shoot off a few rounds while thinking of 1LT Pierre Piche. I most assuredly will bro - you can bet on it.!

wingnutx
November 18, 2003, 02:52 PM
Damn. I'm really sorry to hear that.

So far everyone I know has been fortunate enough to come back more or less in one piece.

I'll definitely pop off a few magazines full for Pierre.

Khornet
November 18, 2003, 03:14 PM
Day is done
Gone the sun
From the hill, from the lake, from the sky
Rest in peace
Soldier brave,
God is nigh.

chaim
November 18, 2003, 03:22 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that. Sounds like he was one heck of a guy, a real loss to the Army, the country, the cause, and his family and friends. We really need more, not less, like him. I will be at the range in a few hours, I'll think of all those "over there" who have been lost.

DonP
November 18, 2003, 03:49 PM
My sympathy and prayers for the loss to you, the family and our country.

My boy is still over there and every time I hear about another crash or attack my heart sinks for the families involved. You live in terror every day of a knock on the door and seeing a uniform on your front porch.

But my son has told me he wouldn't have it any other way after what he has seen of Hussein's cruelty and the results of his death squads over there.

Don P.

Holly76201
November 18, 2003, 08:45 PM
Frank,
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My thought are with you and the Piche family. Rounds will be fired off for Pierre next trip to the range.
My BIL is @ BIAP til at least next May. Every time I hear about a casualty there, I hold my breath until their identity is released.
Here's hoping the Angels are wrapping their wings around the Piche family and the families of all our other brave troops to give them comfort in this difficult time.

BamBam-31
November 18, 2003, 08:53 PM
Prayers sent. Freedom isn't free. Thanks to those that foot the bill on my behalf.

Orthonym
November 18, 2003, 09:08 PM
And three volleys at the first opportunity, even if I have to do them all by myself.

Nightfall
November 18, 2003, 09:42 PM
My condolences to you, his family, and his friends.

Lennyjoe
November 18, 2003, 10:00 PM
On bended knee for a fellow military man.

Condolences to you and the family.

May God rest his soul.

Intune
November 18, 2003, 10:05 PM
Sad news indeed. Warriors have a special place in my heart. He died while giving others the oportunity to live... Free. Doesn't make the pain any less. My thoughts are with you and his family.

Derek Zeanah
November 18, 2003, 10:39 PM
Hate to hear it. I had a bunch of guys I knew from Basic/Jump School/RIP deploy to Somalia, but thank GOD all of them came home.

Sorry you have to face this. :(

OEF_VET
September 27, 2006, 11:20 AM
Update

This week, I learned that Middle Tennessee State University, which is the University I'm currently attending, and the school from which Pierre graduated, is going to be building a memorial in honor of Pierre and other alumni who have given their lives in the service of our nation.

I have spoken with the professor in charge of the Memorial, who is himself a veteran of Operations Desert Shield / Desert Storm, and have volunteered to do whatever I can to raise money for the Memorial.

I come here today to ask for whatever help you can give in making this a reality. The school has earmarked a small amount of money, and a little more has been raised thus far from local fund-raising events. However, there is much more work to be done.

Any donations will be tax-deductible, and will be used to honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure our freedom. Please help make this a reality.

http://www.mtsu.edu/~veterans/

For those who care to donate, follow the link, and click on the "Contribute To The MTSU Veterans Memorial" link. Be sure to designate your donation as going to the MTSU Veterans Memorial Fund.

Thank you in advance for any help you give in honoring my friend, my comrade, my brother.

Frank

ambush
September 27, 2006, 11:30 AM
Will send 21 downrange for 1LT Pierre Piche. Rest in peace.

thumbody
September 27, 2006, 11:36 AM
Where is the link?

Ala Dan
September 27, 2006, 11:44 AM
Prayers and condolesences sent to all, may he rest in peace~!

Dr. Dickie
September 27, 2006, 11:46 AM
Absolutely will send 21 downrange for 1LT Pierre Piche.
Thank god for people like 1LT Pierre Piche, and you sir.
Thank you for your service.
Thank you for your sacrifice.
Thank you for your selfless acts that we can never re-pay.
I think every day: I live the way I live, because others have given their life so that I may.
I damn sure do not want to live a life that dishonors their sacrifice.

OEF_VET
September 27, 2006, 12:35 PM
I just want to claify something.

Pierre was killed in NOV '03, when this thread was started. Rather than start a new thread, and retell his story, I simply revived the old thread. I do appreciate the sympathy.

Pierre was a good friend, and not a day goes by that I'm not reminded of his sacrifice. In the hallway of my apartment, I have an American flag hung. The flag was displayed at a local memorial service, and the flagstaff bore a tag with Pierre's name, rank, hometown and date of death. I made a donation to the service, and in return, I was given one of the flags when the service was complete. As Pierre was a personal friend of mine, the organizers saw fit to ensure I recieved "his" flag. I keep that flag on display as a reminder that there are brave men and women who continue to sacrifice everything to ensure I remain free.

Oh, and apparently, Pierre was promoted to Captain, either posthumously, or right before he died.

The-Fly
September 27, 2006, 02:14 PM
Next time i have my AR out, i am going to do a few mags for your buddy and Col Cooper.

Monkeyleg
September 27, 2006, 05:45 PM
Very sorry for your loss, and for your friend's wife's loss especially.

Panthera Tigris
September 27, 2006, 07:11 PM
Rest in peace Lt Piche. And my thoughts go out to your family and friends.

DogBonz
September 27, 2006, 07:20 PM
even if it is an old thread. I'll be sending 21 down range next time with a prayer

12-34hom
September 27, 2006, 08:46 PM
God's speed - We are Diminished.

Prayers sent.

Thanks to all our service men & women serving past - present - future.

You are what makes this country great.

12-34hom.

tegemu
September 28, 2006, 02:09 PM
Thoughts, prayers and rounds downrange will go for the "El Tee" and those who love him.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lost a friend in Iraq this weekend." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!