45ACP case length importance?

PDA

fourdollarbill
February 11, 2010, 11:23 AM
I'm helping a friend starting to reload 45ACP. I'm a revolver guy so not much info on auto brass in my noggin.

I told him the case length is not a real big issue because he is not actually crimping he is just straightening out the bell when seating the bullet. Also I explained I used to load 40S&W by the hundreds and never trimmed a case.
He's loading 230gr Speer TMJ's

What are your thoughts on this?
And do you have any general notes on loading 45acp that is not found in the books.

If you enjoyed reading about "45ACP case length importance?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
243winxb
February 11, 2010, 11:28 AM
Plinking ammo, if it chambers/feeds shoot it. Match ammo, all brass must be from the same lot , fired the same amount of times, with the same crimp, not just taking the bell out. http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/45seatingpossibilitiesxn.jpg

chevy_dmax
February 11, 2010, 11:30 AM
Just my opinion...generally, straight walled pistol cartridges don't "grow" too much if any, regardless of auto or revolver. I've not reloaded much but I've not had to trim .45 acp's. I'd go so far as to say you will wear the brass out before you will need to trim it.

Please don't just go by what I've said...I only have 3 posts or so......Hehe....others will chime in.

Bill.

rcmodel
February 11, 2010, 12:03 PM
I have never trimmed a .45 ACP case in the 48 years I have been shooting & reloading for them. It's not necessary unless you have some weird brass that is really far out of whack on length.

Size & chamber check them in the barrel.
If they drop in the chamber even with the barrel hood, you are good to go..

rc

stork
February 11, 2010, 04:51 PM
"I have never trimmed a .45 ACP case"

Ditto! I have shot 10's of thousands of lead SWC in practice and competition. A 45 case never stretches, they only grow shorter with repetitive reloading.

The only thing I do that is in conflict with your post is that my OAL is such that the cartridge is 1-2 thousanths less than the barrel hood. This is to prevent a buildup of crud on the slide face or leading in the barrel leade from causing a jam in a match. I haven't tested my new Kart barrel with my long line loads seated to flush OAL. My old Kart didn't know the difference between flush and seated a few thousanths further. So I opted on the side of reliability. Your barrel may be different, the only way to know is to Ransom test it.

FWIW

Walkalong
February 11, 2010, 04:53 PM
"I have never trimmed a .45 ACP case"Me either. No problem. Scratch that one off the worry about list.

rcmodel
February 11, 2010, 04:56 PM
is such that the cartridge is 1-2 thousanths less than the barrel hood.I agree completely.
I should have said even with or slightly less then the barrel hood in my post.

But I didn't. :o

rc

ArchAngelCD
February 12, 2010, 01:56 AM
I have never trimmed 45 Auto brass either. It's just not necessary IMO. (and in the opinion of the others here too)

JDGray
February 12, 2010, 05:26 AM
My 45 brass seems to shrink a bit, no trimming here, either:D Big smily cause trimming sucks!

CHEVELLE427
February 12, 2010, 06:15 AM
was told many years ago,

you will loose your brass before you have to trim it in 45acp;)

i have found if they fit my SF1911-A1 all the other 45acp i have/had will eat them

If you enjoyed reading about "45ACP case length importance?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!