What is the purpose of a pocket holster?

PDA

beeenbag
February 11, 2010, 07:06 PM
I mean honestly, I see no purpose for a holster that goes in you pocket. It seems like it would just take up more space in your pocket. If there is an advantage to this please let me in on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the purpose of a pocket holster?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
essayons21
February 11, 2010, 07:11 PM
It keeps the handgun properly oriented, it masks some of the printing in the pocket, and if you are dumb enough to put keys or spare change in the pocket it keeps stuff out of the trigger guard so you don't shoot yourself.

kanook
February 11, 2010, 07:13 PM
It helps keep the "belly button lint" ount of the barrel.

beeenbag
February 11, 2010, 07:19 PM
It just seems like to me, that if your gonna have a gun in your pocket odds are your gonna have a bulge and putting a gun plus a holster is going to really stick out there.

essayons21
February 11, 2010, 07:24 PM
My P3AT with crimson trace laser and desantis hoslter looks like I am carrying a Blackberry or PDA in my pocket in jeans and dress slacks.

The point of many holsters is to "sqaure off" the outline of the gun.

22-rimfire
February 11, 2010, 07:29 PM
Lots of people put stuff in their pocket. If the gun shows (as in printing) then it is not concealed. The pocket holster positions the firearms so that you may remove it more quickly as compared to having it lie loose in your pocket. It is also a safer approach to keeping a gun in your pocket.

There are other ways to carry concealed.

beeenbag
February 11, 2010, 07:36 PM
"There are other ways to carry concealed."

I know there are other ways, what sparked my question was, while looking at the naa minis with the holster grip that has the clip on it I thought that would be ideal. Then I looked at acc. and seen the pocket holster for them. I know they are not intended to be used at the same time but thought the clip would be a better setup. Didn't really see the point for the holster.

wrs840
February 11, 2010, 07:45 PM
I think one of the important reasons to use a pocket holster is to keep your finger off the trigger while digging a gun (or anything else, if you're inclined to put other stuff in that pocket, not recommended IMO...) out of your pocket.

Les

PT1911
February 11, 2010, 07:49 PM
lets see...
First, if you just drop a kel tec, for instance, in your pocket, it will orient itself almost upside down every time.
Second, there is a lot of dirt, grime, and lint in your pockets. In fact, you would be surprised how much SAND there is in your pockets. The holster aids in preventing the crud from making your gun fail when you need it.
Third, a bare gun has a lot of sharp edges that actually print BADLY through your pocket. A good holster actually breaks up the outline even better than none at all.
Fourth, people put a lot of things in their pockets. A holster helps prevent a key or other random object from snagging the trigger when you are attempting to draw the gun in a hurry when it is needed. The result, ND!!!
Fifth, personal preference. IMO, there are 3 useful modes of carry. 1, in or on the wastband. Useful for larger guns. 2, shoulder holster, for large guns for those who want a bit more comfort and manuverability. 3, pocket carry. All require holsters for multiple reasons, not the least of which is safety... and just personal preverence, retaining clips have no place on a gun.

DeepSouth
February 11, 2010, 07:59 PM
#1 To help keep it clean

#2 To Keep the trigger covered

#3 To keep the gun poisoned properly

#4 To break up the outline of the gun

#5 To make the draw easier (front sight wan't get hung up)

#6 To keep from wearing a hole in every pair of pants you have

There are more I'm sure, but that is what I can think of in around 10 seconds.

One more thing.......
Lots of people put stuff in their pocket. If the gun shows (as in printing) then it is not concealed. The pocket holster positions the firearms so that you may remove it more quickly as compared to having it lie loose in your pocket. It is also a safer approach to keeping a gun in your pocket.
I disagree, but that is a different topic.

beeenbag
February 11, 2010, 08:03 PM
to the guys that have carried a pocket holster. Does it not feel like you've got a small pillow in your pocket? I would just think less would be better in the pocket. I mean im not arguing that it shouldn't be used im just new to carrying concealed and am trying to weigh my options here.

Hunt480
February 11, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have read somewhere about the dangers of carrying a pocket gun without a holster but I don't quite get it. It kinda defeats the purpose of the handy pocket gun for qwik use.If you feel the need to carry a pocket gun somewhere you must be expecting trouble or at least feel unsafe. When I am carrying the snubb in my pocket I am aware of what I'm doing and would be conscious of the potential. But better yet It is free for qwik use if needed. Thats the beauty of having these pocket guns to me and I've carryed that way for about the last 25 or so years anyway. Leave the hosters to the big guns. thats my 2cents

BMF500
February 11, 2010, 08:13 PM
I would say, to "conceal" the shape of the gun, so you don't get "made".

78CJ5
February 11, 2010, 08:18 PM
It is he aw in Georgia, If you pocket carry you must use a pocket holster.

Glock Holiday
February 11, 2010, 08:21 PM
#1 To help keep it clean
#2 To Keep the trigger covered
#3 To keep the gun poisoned properly
#4 To break up the outline of the gun
#5 To make the draw easier (front sight wan't get hung up)
#6 To keep from wearing a hole in every pair of pants you have

What DeepSouth said summed it up pretty well.

tenfiftyfour
February 11, 2010, 08:37 PM
The basic reasons for using a pocket holster have been outlined well in this thread. As for the comfort factor, i find a pocket holster to be quite comfortable, provided the pants have decent sized pockets. I use a pocket holster for my J frame. It does feel like a "small pillow" to a degree, but it is better than the alternative- small, hard contact points on your leg from the cylinder or barrel, especially if the gun gets turned sideways.

I've never used a pocket holster with a semi-auto, but it would seem to me that the most important reason in that case is for protection of the trigger. No matter how smooth the gun might be naked in your pocket, having a 3-5 lb trigger just floating around in there would make me uncomfortable.

Edited to add: Basically if a pair of pants will allow me to stand up and comfortably put my hands in my pockets, than those pants will work just fine with the pocket holster.

harmon rabb
February 11, 2010, 08:44 PM
covers the trigger, keeps lint out of the gun.

Joe Demko
February 11, 2010, 08:51 PM
The simplest thing is to try carrying the same gun with one and without one. Then you won't ask this question again.

beeenbag
February 11, 2010, 08:54 PM
well I dont have a pocket holster or a pocket gun. This is kinda why im askin the question because it is a option that I am considering. I like the idea of carrying in my pocket. I have a cheapo davis arms 32 that i picked up somewhere but would never consider carrying it period so i dont think i'll buy a holster for it just for experimentation.

Hunt480
February 11, 2010, 08:55 PM
It is he aw in Georgia, If you pocket carry you must use a pocket holster.
I forgot mention nobody ever really knows when I do pocket carry.

Joe Demko
February 11, 2010, 09:01 PM
Well, I've tried both ways. A good pocket holster adds minimal bulk, postions the gun for a consistent draw, and keeps foreign matter out of the gun. A loose gun shifts around in the pocket, lints up, and actually prints worse. The trade-off for a little extra bulk is more than worth it.

Casaba
February 11, 2010, 09:03 PM
I have a S&W 442 with a Desantis pocket holster. I carried for a few weeks without it and then broke down and bought the holster. I would never carry without it now. Orientation to the butt of the gun is everything in a hurry plus the printing is minimized a good bit. It works well in my cargo shorts during the summer

John Wayne
February 11, 2010, 10:29 PM
I have carried my S&W 442 with and without a pocket holster. Without the holster, I had some problems with the gun rusting because sweat came though my pocket. The barrel also wore a hole in the pocket of two different pairs of pants.

With the holster it stays oriented much better, and your pockets last longer.

jad0110
February 11, 2010, 10:59 PM
It does feel like a "small pillow" to a degree, but it is better than the alternative- small, hard contact points on your leg from the cylinder or barrel, especially if the gun gets turned sideways.

Agreed 100%. Good point. I experimented carrying my J Frame without a pocket holster and found it to be less comfortable.

First, if you just drop a kel tec, for instance, in your pocket, it will orient itself almost upside down every time.

S&W J frames do the exact same thing (tried it with my unloaded 642 once). In fact, it takes only a couple dozen steps for the butt and the muzzle to switch places, with the gun pointed roughly at your head. I've got a feeling most pocket guns will do this.

Now imagine the unthinkable happens and you have to draw your weapon to live. But without a pocket holster, there is very high likelihood the gun has flipped upside down. You jam your hand in there to retrieve and push the trigger down, firing it.

At best, you will blow your hand to bits and the BG will freak and take off. At best.

At worst, you'll blow your hand up and the bullet will continue up through the neck/chin area and lights out.

Other times, the gun will simply turn 45 degrees, with the top of the gun facing the ground and the butt pointing skyward. This may not be as directly dangerous as the aforementioned scenario, but it will certainly complicate the draw.

As for concealment, a good quality pocket holster like a Robert Mika will simply make the gun look like a wallet in your pocket.

billdeserthills
February 11, 2010, 11:05 PM
It just seems like to me, that if your gonna have a gun in your pocket odds are your gonna have a bulge and putting a gun plus a holster is going to really stick out there.
Next time you try a pocket holster stuff a thick wad of cash right in front of the holster in your pocket. Print- Not Even Close.
My Bad, I didn't read about your "Fine" 32acp derringer. Well, I guess you could just fold up a few sheets of paper, to simulate the money part

22-rimfire
February 11, 2010, 11:09 PM
Beeenbag, pocket carry is the easiest method to carry concealed. It limits the size of the gun, but it does not require you to all of a sudden start buying pants that are 2" larger in the waist or trying to find a holster that you feel comfortable with for other reasons.

If you are used to carrying stuff in your pockets, you may have to limit what you carry or find another way. For example, I typically have keys (two sets), often a cell phone, pocket knife, and change in my pockets when I am not carrying. If I carry, the coins just don't work. I can only carry one set of keys and my knife. The knife is then on the wrong side (left side). But you get used to it. The cell phone has to find a different home. So the gun is in one pocket with nothing else in it.

easyg
February 11, 2010, 11:11 PM
The simplest thing is to try carrying the same gun with one and without one. Then you won't ask this question again.
I agree.

When I first started to carry concealed I was skeptical of the pocket-holster too.
And then I tried a nice leather one.
There was no going back. :)

hso
February 12, 2010, 12:06 AM
beenbag,

I carry a P3AT in a pocket holster wearing khakis and no one knows it's there. Looks just like I have a wallet in the pocket. Feels like one, also.

All your concerns are typical for folks who haven't found a good pocket holster to carry a small pistol with. Once you find one and get used to carrying all the time you'll realize you're more comfortable with the gun in the holster than without

Claude Clay
February 12, 2010, 12:25 AM
p3at or a p32 with "artofthehide.com"

besides all of the mentioned reasons it allows for 2" groups at 21'.
recoil all but disappears.

armoredman
February 12, 2010, 12:25 AM
I've been carrying my Taurus CIA Ultralite38 snub in the pocket for some time. I like baggy pants, so there is no printing issues. I went holsterless for some time, tried a few expensive pocket rigs, sold/gave them away. Now I use a Mikas.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/Mika%20holster/mika2.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/Mika%20holster/mika3.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/Mika%20holster/mika4.jpg

Works great.

rswartsell
February 12, 2010, 01:14 AM
If a man (term applied loosely) holds you up and wants your money, he is likely to be holding a deadly weapon on you and demanding you bring out the geld. If you are not "printing", he wants you to dig in that pocket bulge and bring out your bankroll.

If the bulge is a second amendment "surprise", what now? Blow a hole in your Dockers A La S&W Safety Hammerless? Educate me.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 12, 2010, 02:36 AM
1. Break up outline (prevent printing "gun")

2. Keep Oriented upright - and not only that, but high and in the "best" spot for a quick draw

3. Cover trigger guard (keep keys etc.) out

Those are the only 3 good ones I can think of - maybe also to cover the mag release, and to protect the gun's blueing/finish, but those aren't a major issues.

boatme99
February 13, 2010, 10:42 AM
yep, keep the pocket boogers out:neener:

HexHead
February 13, 2010, 10:49 AM
to the guys that have carried a pocket holster. Does it not feel like you've got a small pillow in your pocket? I would just think less would be better in the pocket. I mean im not arguing that it shouldn't be used im just new to carrying concealed and am trying to weigh my options here.
No, it feels like you are carrying a wallet in your pocket. Looks that way too.

BossHogg
February 13, 2010, 10:57 AM
The pocket holster is simply to break up the guns profile. People can see you have something in your pocket but don't know what. Cell phone,wallet,etc... It don't make it disapear it makes the gun outline disapear.

okespe04
February 13, 2010, 12:44 PM
Loaded guns should be holstered no matter how you carry.

orionengnr
February 13, 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #10#3 To keep the gun poisoned properly
Why would you want to poison your gun??? :neener:

Hunt480
February 13, 2010, 01:23 PM
Just drop a derringer,or a snub nose in your pocket and call it good. Been working just fine for years. I've known a many of old timers to just simply drop in the pocket and go. It aint that complicated. I'm not concerned with what it looks like, its for protection in a small package that I really don't want a holster for. Who wants to fight your gun out of a holster in your pocket when you really need it. Holsters are not for a true pocket guns like a derringer or a small revolver, as people have use these pocket guns in this way since forever. The holster is not a neccessity for a true pocket gun it is a nusiance.

chicharrones
February 13, 2010, 03:00 PM
A good pocket holster also stays in the pocket when drawing the gun. No nuisance with that. Leather works best for my pocket snubnose revolver.

Like mentioned earlier, it helps keep blued guns blued. Especially in the summer. A sweaty wallet is no biggie, a sweaty rust speckled gun sucks. :(

+1 on the other points favoring pocket holsters, too. :cool:

Zundfolge
February 13, 2010, 03:37 PM
No, it feels like you have a wallet sized item in your pocket.

I've carried my wife's P3AT both with and without the pocket holster and aside from the lint, safety and concealment issues, more than anything it keeps the gun from rotating around to where its muzzle up and if you need it you're going to have to pull it out of your pocket and then with your other hand turn the gun back around to pointing in the right direction.

In the mean time, johnny mugger has figured out you're drawing a gun and shot or stabbed you already ... and he leaves with your money AND your gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the purpose of a pocket holster?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!