Why is Taurus making a TCP in .32?

PDA

IdahoSkies
February 11, 2010, 07:16 PM
When another poster posted that Taurus has developed a TCP in .32 (to accompany its .380 version) I started to wonder what the purpose was. Are there that many people carrying .32s that Taurus saw a market for it, or is it simply a Kel-tec did it, so we should do it (since Ruger seemed to have that mindset with the LCP). Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this are.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why is Taurus making a TCP in .32?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
essayons21
February 11, 2010, 07:20 PM
IMHO the size-power tradeoff between .32 and .380 is negligible. Anything smaller than a P3AT is nigh unshootable with those with average sized mitts, so I don't really see a market for micro-mini .32s. Time will tell.

MCgunner
February 11, 2010, 07:27 PM
Well, Kel Tec still sells a few. I think the .32 KT is a little smaller than the P3AT, though.

Volfy
February 11, 2010, 07:59 PM
Well, if you are an arthiritic elderly that can barely withstand the recoil of even .380ACP, dropping down a notch to .32 might just mean the difference between having the ability to defend yourself and not.

earlthegoat2
February 11, 2010, 08:24 PM
It is an easy barrel and magazine swap so why not.

hirundo82
February 11, 2010, 08:27 PM
Plus you can find .32 ammo. I haven't seen .380 around here in well over a year.

Kingofthehill
February 11, 2010, 09:47 PM
agreed... you can find .32 on shelf's all the time.

pretty smart IMO.

JOe

Joe Demko
February 11, 2010, 09:49 PM
I've yet to hear of a even a single instance where a citizen armed with a .32 was defeated but would have prevailed if only he'd had a .380.

CajunBass
February 12, 2010, 07:48 AM
Because they think they can sell them.

harmon rabb
February 12, 2010, 08:42 AM
Well, if you are an arthiritic elderly that can barely withstand the recoil of even .380ACP, dropping down a notch to .32 might just mean the difference between having the ability to defend yourself and not.

of 'even' 380? have you ever fired 380 out of a mouse gun? snaps about as bad as 45 out of a full size.

6x6pinz
February 12, 2010, 09:08 AM
you can sure tell who actually shoots .32 and who just reads post about them. .32 not my first choice in SD but still a more potent round than the 40 cal glock carriers would lead people to believe. Besides shooting any round is just plain FUN and the 32 can be fun all day long.:)

PT1911
February 12, 2010, 09:15 AM
it is all about the recoil coming from such a small gun... Just because you and I can handle the recoil of a 380 out of such a small gun, doesnt mean those who arent avid shooters and older men and women with weaker or arthritic ands can handle it. I have seen many men buy their wives a P3AT only to come back the next week and get the 32 because it was just too much of a snap for them and they were afraid to shoot it. ANYTHING that will increase someone's confidence in their ability to use the gun when needed is a welcome product.

swampboy
February 12, 2010, 09:50 AM
There is probably a good market for them. I owned a P32 back before there was a P3AT, LCP, etc. I shot it a lot for a number of years and it was very pleasant (and accurate) to shoot. Long story short, I wound up with an LCP. Sold the P32. I don't shoot the LCP nearly as much. I can shoot it o.k., but it's too snappy to be much fun.

jackstinson
February 12, 2010, 12:48 PM
They will probably sell a whole lot of them.

NG VI
February 12, 2010, 01:27 PM
Taurus has made .32 pistols for a long time, including the Millenium series, that's right, the same size as the 9mm and .40 small guns. Why? Why not? Honestly I would probably get the .32 over the .380 TCP just because, and also just because I would most likely carry it on the left, which isn't as strong as my right.

And then also because I like to be a little different. And I don't think the difference between the two is all that great out of those little barrels.

R.W.Dale
February 12, 2010, 01:30 PM
IMO the 32 offers a better balance of shootability and power for these new micro pistols. It was nothing to shoot 100 rds in a sitting from my old p32 with surprisingly accurate results.

thebigc
February 12, 2010, 01:34 PM
i really like the .32 sure it might be kinda weak but out of a walther ppk or something similarly sized its way more controlable and enjoyable to shoot than the .380 version and i can put more hits on target faster with the .32 than the 380.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 12, 2010, 03:45 PM
Makes no sense to me, but I guess they think it will sell..

KBintheSLC
February 12, 2010, 03:53 PM
Why is Taurus making a TCP in .32?

I assume it is the same reason why companies like XD/Sig/Glock/etc decided to release new gun models in 9mm despite all of the .40 and .45 fans out there telling us the cartridge is ineffective.

MICHAEL T
February 12, 2010, 04:05 PM
Recoil is a lot less my wife won't shoot my 380 KelTec but she will shoot her 32 all day long .If I was to buy enough ammo.
None of my daughters really like any of my 380 except my Colt Mustangs They have little recoil So they enjoy shooting them. They will shoot a 1911 1 maybe 2 mags But again they don't like recoil . For get a lite weight snub in 38spl. let alone +P
So I rather they shoot and carry a 32 than nothing. It won't be a Taurus been burnt twice won't try again.

NMGonzo
February 12, 2010, 04:08 PM
I some countries, 32 acp is the biggest caliber a civilian may own.

Also, there are a lot of aging folk out there that want to be proficient, but their health prevents them from shooting anything bigger.

Volfy
February 12, 2010, 11:17 PM
of 'even' 380? have you ever fired 380 out of a mouse gun? snaps about as bad as 45 out of a full size.
Yes, I have a TCP. Just came back from the range as a matter of fact. Kicks nowhere near a FS 45. I shot FS 9mm right after the TCP, and the difference is significant.

My only complaint with the TCP is not being able to wrap my pinky around something, which makes it a bit less controllable. That, however, is not the same as felt recoil.

I guess I don't really understand the point of this thread, honestly. As long Taurus doesn't REPLACE the 380 with the .32, why would it matter to anyone NOT interested in the .32 if they make one?

jimk0512
February 12, 2010, 11:40 PM
I think Taurus is making the TCP in .32 because they have done their marketing homework and believe they can sell enough of them to cover their costs.

Taurus sells concealed carry pistols in every caliber from .22 to .45 (including .32 in their Millennium Pro series). I expect they will sell enough .32 caliber TCP to make money.

Prince Yamato
February 13, 2010, 01:08 AM
IMO the 32 offers a better balance of shootability and power for these new micro pistols.

Yep. I own a Kel-Tec P32. I personally think .32 ACP is a great caliber and it's probably one of the most often over-looked. I wouldn't take it to war, but for self-defense in a civilian situation it's fine.

w_houle
February 13, 2010, 01:40 AM
Because Taurus actually wants me to buy a gun?

denfoote
February 13, 2010, 01:46 AM
Why does their website no nothing of this gun???

Search Results For "TCP" BACK

< Previous Next >
No matches were found. Please click here to try another search.

makarovnik
February 13, 2010, 04:32 AM
For recoil sensitive shooters or those with diminished hand strength. Might also have something to do with the .380 shortage.

I like it but then again I have taken heat on this board in the past for liking larger .380 pistols like the Berettas and BDA.

PointOneSeven
February 13, 2010, 04:53 AM
Taurus seems to be going for the 'gun for every caliber' production plan. Give it time and you'll see autoloaders in hm2 or 45 GAP revolvers from them.

rogertc1
February 13, 2010, 05:52 AM
I have most every small concealable pistol made in my collection. .45 to .22. I usually carry my KelTec 32
light recoil, more rounds and last round slide lock. Easy to toss into the front pocket.

kokapelli
February 13, 2010, 09:18 AM
I think a better question would be why would you purchase the 32 cal when you can have the same pistol in 380?

This is subjective, but I had a KT P32 and I don't see enough difference in recoil between the P32 and P-3AT to want the smaller and less powerful 32 cal in basically the same gun.

rogertc1
February 13, 2010, 10:53 AM
As I had said, I have them both and I carry the 32. The 32 came out first them the 380. I like the 32 better because I find it easier to place the shots.

wally
February 13, 2010, 12:48 PM
Think about it, everyone with the .380 is a potential buyer once they learn:

1) Its much less painful to practice with it instead.

2) .32ACP is way easier to find right now than is .380, and usually significantly cheaper when you do.

3) less wear and tear on the gun you carry.

I do the same with my Kahr CW9 as an analog for my PM40.

--wally.

kokapelli
February 13, 2010, 02:24 PM
Think about it, everyone with the .380 is a potential buyer once they learn:

1) Its much less painful to practice with it instead.

2) .32ACP is way easier to find right now than is .380, and usually significantly cheaper when you do.

3) less wear and tear on the gun you carry.

I do the same with my Kahr CW9 as an analog for my PM40.

--wally.
The fact that there are way more 380 pocket pistols being produced than 32cal shows what people want and is also the reason for the temporary shortage of 380 ammo.

It may just be me but I personally don't find 32acp to be any less painful to shoot than 380acp in small pocket pistols.

As for wear and tear on the pistol, I haven't worn out any of my 380 pistols so I can't really comment on that. I do have a P-3AT that has well over 3000 rounds through it and aside from a few recoil spring replacements it still shoots 100%.

The availability of 380 is improving very rapidly and I have a pretty good supply on hand, most of which was purchased in the last month and a half.

I now have on hand some PMC Bronze, Remington fmj, Remington jhp which I purchased yesterday at Walmart, Winchester fmj flat point that I purchased at Walmart about three weeks ago, Herters from Cabelas, Georgia arms and a couple of boxes of Buffalo Bore.

I just looked through Cabelas website and what I found is they don't carry nearly as many brands in 32acp as they do 380acp.

For example all the following brands are carried at Cabelas in 380 but not in 32acp!

Hornady Critical Defense

Hornady TAP-FPD

Magtech First Defense

MagTech Blueline

Magtech Bulk Handgun Ammo

PMC Bronze

COR BON DPX

Herters

Speer Gold Dot

Winchester USA

Cabelas carries all the above ammo in 380acp but does not carry any of the above ammo in 32acp

http://omploader.org/vM2l0bg/BD%20Hand%20shaded.gif

If you enjoyed reading about "Why is Taurus making a TCP in .32?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!