A few thoughts on violence.

PDA

JellyJar
February 12, 2010, 09:36 PM
One of the most prevalent and useful arguments that gun control advocates use is that all they want to do is to reduce gun violence. They assume that all violence is Bad! There is a serious flaw to these arguments.

The flaw is that there are two basic types of violence, gun related or not; Good Violence and Bad Violence.

Sometimes, even in a political society, in order to preserve and protect innocent people it is necessary to engage in acts of violence or at least be willing to engage in acts of violence. In such cases you almost always need to possess a weapon of violence. ( i.e. a gun ) For example should a man rape a woman that would be an act of violence, Bad Violence! Should that woman shoot or threaten to shoot that man to prevent that rape that would also be an act of violence, Good Violence. Weapons are inanimate objects, only people can be good or bad.

The vast majority of people will intuitively realize the truth of the above. Then the only task left would be to show that, at least in our society, the private possession of firearms is used to prevent acts of Bad Violence far, far more often that they are used to commit acts of Bad Violence. In other words, our society benefits greatly from the widespread presence of firearms. The price we pay is small in comparison.

Please note that some people are just too irrational to accept this truth. I have met such people myself. You will not be able to sway their opinions no matter what. Only continue the argument if there are others listening who's minds are still malleable.

Some people actually believe that armed self defense is morally wrong and should even be made illegal. More on this later,

If you enjoyed reading about "A few thoughts on violence." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "A few thoughts on violence." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!