Do you prefer WWB or Federal Champion ammo

PDA

hometheaterman
February 12, 2010, 10:48 PM
For pistol ammo of these two brands which is better? Walmart sells both. It seems like the Federal is slightly cheaper. It's about $2 cheaper per hundred than the WWB at Walmart here. Plus instead of just being in a box it has a thing plastic piece that holds each round. The WWB stuff is just a bunch of rounds dumped into a box. So is the WWB better than the Federal? They even? Or is the Federal better?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you prefer WWB or Federal Champion ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mags
February 12, 2010, 10:58 PM
I had a squib with WWB, never had one with Federal.

dispatch55126
February 12, 2010, 11:38 PM
Choose the one that performs better in your gun.

Now that that statements is out of the way, where are you finding Federal cheaper than WWB? If its another store, go for it. If its online, once you figure in shipping and interest rates on your card, it'll be more expensive than WWB.

For me, then it comes to general range and plinking ammo, I go with WWB because its the cheapest and I haven't had problems with it. I'm probably more picky about 22lr than I am 9mm.

hometheaterman
February 13, 2010, 12:58 AM
Walmart here in 9mm sells the Federal Champion 50 round boxes for $9.97 or something. Right at $10. The Winchester Whitebox sells for right around $21 or 22 for 100 or $12.50 or something for 50 rounds. (pretty sure it's $22 now and I know it is at Walmart but one is a little cheaper. Not sure if they are still $21 or if they are $22 now too.) So either way the Federal Champions are a little cheaper but not a ton. $1-2 per 100.

Boba Fett
February 13, 2010, 01:04 AM
I used to use WWB most of the time, but I switched to Federal because over the years I found I liked Federal better. It just seemed to be a bit better performer (IMO) than the WWB. I too had a dud or two with WWB, but not with Federal so far. That said, WWB would be a close second in my purchasing choice.

Both are way way better than Remington.

Walmart carries all three brands and I'll take Federal when they have it and WWB when they don't. If they only have Remington then I leave it for someone else.

bearmgc
February 13, 2010, 01:35 AM
I used both equally, depending on which is cheaper to buy. Lately it has been the Fed Champion. For range use, I haven't seen much difference in performance between the two.

possum
February 13, 2010, 01:39 AM
federal is cheaper at my local wal mart last time i was there. i have not tried any yet but would like too,especially in .223 in my ar. sometimes pmc is hard to get in .223. i reload handgun ammo so there is really no need for me to try Federal handgun ammo but i am sure that i will in the future.

denfoote
February 13, 2010, 01:40 AM
I use WWB.

lions
February 13, 2010, 01:48 AM
Lately I prefer WWB because that is the only one in stock. If they have Federal I will buy it for a little savings, they both seem to shoot the same as far as I can tell.

Big Bill
February 13, 2010, 02:08 AM
Federal is beter ammo IMHO.

Warhawk83
February 13, 2010, 09:57 AM
WWB dirties the gun entirely too fast. It's the dirtiest ammo I've ever shot. I still shoot it though, but prefer others.

Wayne G
February 13, 2010, 10:10 AM
I have shot hundreds of rounds of each, can't tell any difference. The WWB 50 round box has a plastic rd holder as well, only the 100 rd box is a "jumble pack".

I buy the Federal when Wal-Mart has it in stock and the WWB when not.

RETG
February 13, 2010, 10:34 AM
Like the last person, I purchase whatever is in stock, and if both are in stock, the cheapest of the two. I agree that WWB seems to be a bit dirtier. As for the 100 round boxes with no holder, I actually prefer that. Easier to reach into a box and grab the ammo to load, versus having to slide out the egg crate.:D

hometheaterman
February 13, 2010, 11:26 AM
I have shot hundreds of rounds of each, can't tell any difference. The WWB 50 round box has a plastic rd holder as well, only the 100 rd box is a "jumble pack".

I buy the Federal when Wal-Mart has it in stock and the WWB when not. Yep but for some reason the 50 round packs of WWB cost more here. They are $12.50 for 9mm while the 100 round packs are $22.

Lonestar49
February 13, 2010, 11:46 AM

I voted for Federal over the regular WWB, cost wise (lower) and seems to be more consistent, punch-wise.

However, of late, I have been shooting (what my range sells) *Winchester WWB "WinClean" lead free ammo and I have to say, so far, it has been consistent and is the "cleanest ammo" I have ever shot. Every spent casing I pick up and save looks like it never was fired, "absolutely clean", not a speck of black, pure shiny interior brass looking back at ya..

OMMV,

Ls

searcher451
February 13, 2010, 12:19 PM
I've used Winchester WB for years and have never had a problem of any kind with it -- ever. It's also less expensive in my neck of the woods than any of the other brands that I can locate with any consistency. I often have difficulty finding any Federal; when I can locate some, it is almost always more expensive than Winchester. I would say, however, that both perform equally well.

Mike J
February 13, 2010, 01:59 PM
I prefer Federal-It's cheaper & cleaner but if WWB is what is there I don't have any problem with shooting it. As for the Remington UMC-I have been turned off to it after it failed to eject in my P-944. That is the only malfunction that gun has ever had. It just turned me off to it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you prefer WWB or Federal Champion ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!