i purchased a s&w 9mm sigma any thoughts? It is my first gun purchase

PDA

dio
February 13, 2010, 12:24 AM
any thoughts

If you enjoyed reading about "i purchased a s&w 9mm sigma any thoughts? It is my first gun purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Frosty_
February 13, 2010, 12:31 AM
Hi Dio,

Welcome to THR.

First off I believe the S&W Sigma 9mm to be a great 9mm. You're going to hear alot of ppl on here complain about it's trigger. It is about the same lb. trigger as a DAO 5 shot revolver. From a defensive aspect your gun is perfectly seated to your need, if that is your need.

Did you already shoot it or do you have to wait one of those stupid waiting periods?

Frosty

dio
February 13, 2010, 12:33 AM
5 days

Frosty_
February 13, 2010, 12:46 AM
oh that ever so sucks.

gearjammer711
February 13, 2010, 01:23 AM
Congrats, you should be pleased. Don't listen to any of the bad press on any of the boards about the sigma (most of them have never even shot one). It's amazing they go bang when you pull the trigger, and they still complain :cuss:.

Airburst
February 13, 2010, 01:28 AM
Sigma's are great bargains. You can dry fire them to smooth the trigger a bit and you can remove a small pig tail spring to lighten it up a bit more. I have an all-black version with night sights. I like it, matter of fact I am carrying it tonight.

Warhawk83
February 13, 2010, 11:02 AM
I have a .40 Sigma with Meprolight night sights and a Hogue grip glove. I also removed the pigtail spring mentioned earlier. It took the trigger pull from (guessing) 12 pounds to around 7 pounds.

I have more expensive guns (Sigma was my first), but I still enjoy shooting the Sigma. You made a good choice for a first gun and look at it this way as far as the trigger is concerned. Learning to shoot the Sigma will make you that much better on the better guns later on, it did for me.

BossHogg
February 13, 2010, 12:13 PM
The best gun for the money on the planet.Don't do any messing around taking out springs the gun is just fine as it is. Trigger is long but for the price not bad. It's safety is the trigger pull don't want a hair trigger. Enjoy a very fine first gun.

hanno
February 13, 2010, 06:08 PM
I teach concealed pistol license courses and just bought a Sigma as a "loaner pistol" for the course. For the price (especially with the 2 additional free mags) and S&W's warranty, it was a no-brainer.

I know another NRA instructor who is also picking up a couple for his course.

Don't forget to send in your rebate paperwork, the rebate has been extended to April 30.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=755001&sectionId=10002

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
February 13, 2010, 07:31 PM
ive had and carried the 40VE allied forces model for the last 3 years now. i can make a nice 4inch group at 7 yards with all 14rnds without a issue. only thing i did was remove the pigtail spring.

Grandfather Oak makes a awesome IWB kydex holster for $35 or so.

enjoy your new pistol.

Action_Can_Do
February 13, 2010, 07:47 PM
Uh-oh. You're in trouble now. Buying guns becomes addictive.

Onward Allusion
February 13, 2010, 07:55 PM
I'm guessing that you bought the latest generation (3rd). Great inexpensive pistol for what it was intended. It's an entry level DAO that had solid ergonomics. It's not a SIG by any means, but it does go bang every time I pull the trigger. I have 5 of them for various purposes. My best with the Sigma is 1" to 2" groups offhand at 7 to 10 yards. My average is about 3" at the same distance. I don't mind the trigger but I'm very used to revolvers in DA mode.

dio (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=116794)
i purchased a s&w 9mm sigma any thoughts? It is my first gun purchase

Guy de Loimbard
February 13, 2010, 07:59 PM
If you find after shooting it that you don't like the trigger, you can always call S&W and send it in for them to work on it. A while back my dad bought one and the trigger was gritty like sandpaper. S&W smoothed it out and lightened it a considerable amount, at no expense to my dad.

hub
February 13, 2010, 08:51 PM
Don't do any messing around taking out springs the gun is just fine as it is.

I disagree, I did a trigger job on mine in about 20-30min and it was simple as can be. It was pretty heavy but the grittiness is what bothered me because you could never tell when the shot was about to break.

I removed the little pigtail spring because it serves no purpose, and I removed one of the heavy springs in the grip that returns the sear and replaced with one out of a pen that was about the same size just a little lighter. I see no need in those being that heavy all they do is reset the trigger. As long as they reliable reset the trigger you are OK. I left the striker spring as is because I didn't want to take a chance on light strikes.

I would say the most important part of the trigger job is not the heavy springs so if your worried about that just leave them in, the part that really needs attention is the sear. It is rough and has machine marks on it. I polished basically the whole thing but the most important part is where it rides against the plastic housing. Another spot you could clean up just a little is where the sear and striker contact each other. Remember you want to polish the metal not remove it.

The trigger in my Sigma is not bad at all now, still just a little bit heavy with the stock striker spring, but smooth all the way through and breaks clean with no light strikes.

Here is a link to a YouTube video that is pretty good in explaining what needs to be done in detail. The link mainly concerns the sear but I would watch all four segments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwM5JI3woeI

Big Bill
February 13, 2010, 09:13 PM
I've had two of them. You can't beat the price for the money. Just go shoot it loads and becone really good. Buy some inexpensive 9mm ball and go to it. Welcome here to the forum!

jahwarrior
February 13, 2010, 09:16 PM
the Sigma was my first carry gun too, and i kept it for many years, until i traded it last year for a Taurus 85UL. the Sigma's a good, solid gun for self defense. it won't do for IDPA, but who cares? the trigger pull is fine, and it lightens up and smooths out on it's own.

wvshooter
February 13, 2010, 09:54 PM
My first handgun four years ago was a Sigma 40ve. I liked it so much I bought a 9ve a couple years later. I now have several other handguns but the 40ve is still one I carry often. Of course the 9 and the 40 have identical dimensions. I carry mine IWB in a Don Hume H-715. Nice rig. Being polymer the guns are lightweight. Accuracy is very good. Reliability is 100%. Bottom line, it's a glock with a well designed grip and a much lower price tag.

possum
February 14, 2010, 01:53 PM
congrats on a good handgun, and more than that your first.

i was raised on the sigma (in .40) and it was teh first striker fired gun that i ever shot, and i liked it then, they were 100% reliable, and that is the biggest thing i look for in a handgun, i think they are a great value.

jdorian
February 14, 2010, 08:13 PM
For the money, it is a good quality firearm. Do not regret it. I would buy one if I wanted another handgun and was looking to keep my investment low. It is probably #12 on my list, but if the price and rebates were right it would quickly jump to near the top.

bullbarrel
February 15, 2010, 03:24 PM
My last gun was the SW9VE and it a most unreliable pistol. It tends to jam though after about 12 rounds in the mag and it is a clean jam. The round simply drops through to the deck and you can get back to battery rather quickly. I am hoping that mine improves with usage. They have very bad press that I would think is well deserved. At this time I do not trust it for CC.

John Wayne
February 15, 2010, 07:54 PM
Rented one, but never owned. For $250 new, they are very hard to beat. They also have a lifetime warranty, which is good if you ever have problems.

Yo Mama
February 15, 2010, 10:33 PM
Ok, not a Sigma lover or hater, but a few thoughts.

Don't listen to any of the bad press on any of the boards about the sigma (most of them have never even shot one). It's amazing they go bang when you pull the trigger, and they still complain

Ok, so it's all lies? It's good advice to learn from others who pulled said trigger and bang did not happen.

No problem with the gun, just with the comment. The boards are set for dialogue and not just the talk you like.

I disagree, I did a trigger job on mine in about 20-30min and it was simple as can be. It was pretty heavy but the grittiness is what bothered me because you could never tell when the shot was about to break.

I removed the little pigtail spring because it serves no purpose, and I removed one of the heavy springs in the grip that returns the sear and replaced with one out of a pen that was about the same size just a little lighter. I see no need in those being that heavy all they do is reset the trigger. As long as they reliable reset the trigger you are OK. I left the striker spring as is because I didn't want to take a chance on light strikes.

So you altered a gun in your infinate wisdom over the smiths at S & W? Wow, you should get your application into them.

OP, don't do this. It's stupid to remove springs in guns, and replace them with what you think belongs. This is maybe why S & W offers to do this free of charge with competent smiths who know what they are doing. If it was so simple, they would tell you what to do.

stonecutter2
February 16, 2010, 12:19 AM
I've owned a Sigma SW9VE since 2004, and love the thing. It's been solidly reliable, and very accurate - usually I pull down and to the left because the trigger pull is kind of heavy, but I prefer the heavy trigger. I find the longer the trigger pull, the less chance that I accidentally discharge the gun. It reminds me of a double action revolver trigger pull. My trigger was never gritty or anything, always smooth with a clean break. It did get smoother over time though.

Good choice for a first gun, it was my first gun, too!

The best part is the S&W warranty - if anything goes wrong, send it in!

You may read some complaints about the Sigma, and like any pistol there are lemons. The early models of the Sigma had issues, but those have mostly been worked out. However, it did tend to create a bad rep for the poor little Sigma when it was first introduced.

leadcounsel
February 16, 2010, 12:38 AM
I'm personally not a fan, and saw one frame break in half at the range (a buddy's while he was shooting it - no injuries). S&W replaced it for free. He sold the new gun.

However, my brother swears by his as his carry piece.

Either way, congrats on getting a handgun. It's an important step in life.

hub
February 16, 2010, 08:12 AM
So you altered a gun in your infinate wisdom over the smiths at S & W? Wow, you should get your application into them.

I guess first of all with my infinite wisdom I will teach you to spell INFINITE.:evil: But as you suggested I will go ahead and send my application and while I'm at it I'll go ahead and tell the other few thousand people who have successfully done it that YO MAMA said to send theirs in too. Your right what was I thinking trying to modify my handgun by myself from the factory to make it better I'm not a real gunsmith. We all know that S&W engineers and lawyers got together to decide what the best design is for me and why would I want to change that? I guess if nothing else I should have sent my $250 handgun to a real gunsmith so he can charge me $100+ to do the same thing in 15-20 minutes.

OP, don't do this. It's stupid to remove springs in guns, and replace them with what you think belongs. This is maybe why S & W offers to do this free of charge with competent smiths who know what they are doing.

In case you didn't know it's not free because everyone who bought a Sigma was calling in asking about the free trigger job they heard about on the net.

bullbarrel
February 16, 2010, 01:11 PM
A note about Smith letting you send the s9ve back free, both ways shipping paid, and no charge whatsoever. In my case they simply did not fix the gun. And they stand ready for me to send it to them again. I didn't bother.

rd2007
February 16, 2010, 02:14 PM
My son bought one a few weeks ago and it has been flawless so far. I don't think the trigger is bad at all and it is also very accurate.

The Lone Haranguer
February 16, 2010, 08:02 PM
The Sigma trigger, IMO, should be treated as you would a revolver. Wrap your finger fully around it, putting it into or near the crease of your first finger joint, and pull straight through.

Superblackrifle
February 17, 2010, 01:56 AM
Did you keep the receipt ?? Hopefully they except returns

Davek1977
February 17, 2010, 05:39 AM
I have the reciept from mine, but wouldn't allow the store to take it back for a $100 more than I gave for it! It is what it is...like any gun, some poeple hate them, but some people don't. Its worth every penny of the $200 I gave for it and more. I have no need to take a gun back that has been nothing but 100% reliable, comfortbale to shoot, accurate and easy enough to carry.

Yo Mama
February 17, 2010, 10:07 PM
I guess first of all with my infinite wisdom I will teach you to spell INFINITE.

I nvr cwite gat thot speling.
;) Thanks.

Your right what was I thinking trying to modify my handgun by myself from the factory to make it better I'm not a real gunsmith.

Wait a minute, you can remove a spring and make it better, but a gunsmith hired by S & W couldn't come up with that? Look I know it can work, but should it be done?

Court: "So you decided to change the gun, correct"

You: "It was only a spring!"

Court: "That changed the trigger to make it easier to fire"

You" "Yes, and Yo Mama told me not to, but I didn't listen"

:)

Yo Mama
February 17, 2010, 10:13 PM
A note about Smith letting you send the s9ve back free, both ways shipping paid, and no charge whatsoever. In my case they simply did not fix the gun. And they stand ready for me to send it to them again. I didn't bother.

Sorry they didn't fix it for you, but I would sure send back to let them try again. I had to do this once for a keltec, and second time they usually have the trained monkeys work on it, instead of the monkeys in training. :scrutiny:

Also, it's still free to send them in, no matter how many people are asking for it.....like they should be!

jimk0512
February 17, 2010, 10:55 PM
Sorry they didn't fix it for you, but I would sure send back to let them try again. I had to do this once for a keltec, and second time they usually have the trained monkeys work on it, instead of the monkeys in training.

+1.

Except my experience was with a Ruger. On the second try, they fixed it. I sent a letter with the gun explaining what the problem was, and a copy of the paperwork from their first attempt to fix the gun.

230therapy
February 17, 2010, 11:32 PM
Good luck! Hopefully it will work. I've seen several that are were jam-o-matics. Just make sure to proof it.

If there is a problem, S&W has very good customer service and will take care of you.

Warhawk83
February 18, 2010, 11:20 AM
I removed the pigtail spring and put a wolf striker spring. Clicked 3 times and failed to return to battery. The problem was the Wolf spring.

I sent it to S&W, they left it as is with the pigtail removed but replaced the striker spring and polished the sear. FREE.

All I had to pay was shipping and technically they didn't have to fix it because their part didn't fail.

I have shot 100 rounds through it since with no problems. Before I messed with the trigger there was about 400 rounds through with no problems.

The trigger feels around 7 pounds now and is very smooth compared to what it was.

Excellent first gun.

hub
February 18, 2010, 02:14 PM
Court: "So you decided to change the gun, correct"

You: "It was only a spring!"

Court: "That changed the trigger to make it easier to fire"

You" "Yes, and Yo Mama told me not to, but I didn't listen"

I do see your point there, and I also appreciate the humor in your posts, it's fun to disagree and keep things civil with a laugh.

My point was just that I wanted to make the pistol better for me. I didn't like the grittiness off the trigger and that's why I changed it. I asked about the trigger job from S&W but they wouldn't do it anymore unless there was an actual problem with the firearm not working correctly and that's why I posted it.

cskny
February 18, 2010, 02:43 PM
I think anyone that has done it would probably agree that the sear should be polished from the factory. I'm guessing that it would add a significant cost for them to do it and bump the guns price point out of their target? I don't have a better guess, but it's just a rough machining, plain and simple.

It's one thing to have a hard long trigger, other's can argue the merits on a defensive gun without a safety. But I can't imagine anyone arguing FOR the "grittiness".

I am much happier without the grittiness and I think that 99.99% of owners would be too even with the stock pull weight. Is that a "trigger mod"? I guess, although I'm not sure what damage you could really do making it shiny (but I'm sure some idiot will do something dumb, change the design, blow up and then blame the "sigma" model :) ).

Yo Mama
February 22, 2010, 03:12 PM
My point was just that I wanted to make the pistol better for me. I didn't like the grittiness off the trigger and that's why I changed it. I asked about the trigger job from S&W but they wouldn't do it anymore unless there was an actual problem with the firearm not working correctly and that's why I posted it.

I'd forcefully tell them it's a problem affecting performance and that in of it's self is not working correctly.

No problem, love the chat, no feelings hurt.

mdog
February 25, 2010, 05:13 PM
I understand how to do the trigger fix. It is easy to do. I am reluctant to remove the pigtail spring completely. The factory put it there for a reason. Does anyone know what the function of the pigtail spring is?

Someone on another thread suggested it had something to do with absorbing the recoil from +p ammo, but isn't that the function of the slide recoil spring?

Thanks

makarovnik
February 25, 2010, 08:56 PM
I think you could have done a lot worse for the money. Practice with that trigger and you will be fine.

BillH
February 26, 2010, 02:36 PM
OH NO!!:eek: You should have bought a....sorry, I thinks that's already been covered!!:D

rogertc1
February 26, 2010, 02:53 PM
I have a Gen 3. Good gun for the money. the trigger pull is long however this is a gun without a safety so I am greatfull it has no hair trigger.

DocCas
February 26, 2010, 04:03 PM
mdog said:Does anyone know what the function of the pigtail spring is?The purpose of the pigtail spring is to make the trigger harder to pull and to insure a solid, quick reset. Without the pigtail spring the trigger is much easier to pull, but I can't perceive any difference in the reset. I have shot about 9,000 rounds down range since removing the pigtail spring and have never had the trigger fail to reset.

The purpose of the pigtail spring seems to be the result of the legal department at S&W reacting to the lack of an external safety. They wanted the trigger stiffened substantially to try to mitigate liability in the event of an unplanned discharge.

HspncElvis
October 6, 2010, 11:18 PM
I took my Sigma 9mm out for the first time 3 weeks ago. Yes the trigger was a little hard, but I'm told put 1000 rounds through it and it will lighten up. I saw on these postings that dry firing would help too. Didn't know that. Some say dry firing is not good. I'll take your word for it. My Sigma 9 is FANTASTIC!!!

carbuncle
October 7, 2010, 01:29 AM
My first pistol was a 1st generation Sigma in .40: I liked it. It shot great, jammed on crappy reloads occasionally but was completely reliable with factory ammo and had great ergonomics for me. I'd buy one now if I found a good deal on one, although I've got my eye on an SD40.

Sevenfaces
October 7, 2010, 03:18 AM
No thoughts, a tip though: If at all possible, Always try and shoot the gun you want to buy first. not literally That exact gun, but the same model. Cheers.

writerinmo
October 7, 2010, 10:41 PM
I EDC a SW40VE. Has proven to be reliable with 180gr rounds. As an old revolver guy I don't see why everyone has their panties in a twist over the long pull. It's designed that way for a reason... you have NO safeties on it!

S&W NEVER did 'trigger jobs' on them. If a customer complained about the "gritty" trigger, they took it back and polished the sear assembly. While it might have lightened the pull a pound, it sure made it FEEL a lot lighter for sure.

The Sigma is still taking a beating over the 1st Gen ones. If you happen to still have one and you send it in for work, S&W replaces it with a new one. Everyone who had one agrees that the early ones were POS.

Most of the detractors across the web are non-owners who just don't like it because it is a "Tupperware" pistol... the same reason they don't like Glocks or Keltecs, they want their pistols to be all steel and are unwilling to even dare think that polymer might have a place in a pistol.

Other people complain and call them "jammomatics'' and perhaps never tried to figure out why... did they try different types and brands of ammo, were they limpwristing? Of course they would never admit it, if they were.

The Sigma is just as reliable as you make it. Take care of it, find out what it likes to eat (Mine WILL NOT feed Magtech Guardian Golds, but they work fine in my other .40) and don't over-lube it. If it develops a problem, call the manufacturer (like you should with all makes) and get it taken care of. Some people... just like to complain and not do what they know they should do.

Mine shot low... about three inches at 20 feet. I solved this by installing a HiViz fiber-optic front sight designed for a Glock, a bit of filing on the sides and now it heads dead on. That's just part of the fun of owning any make of firearm, making it do what you want it to!

HspncElvis
October 7, 2010, 11:00 PM
I EDC a SW40VE. Has proven to be reliable with 180gr rounds. As an old revolver guy I don't see why everyone has their panties in a twist over the long pull. It's designed that way for a reason... you have NO safeties on it!

S&W NEVER did 'trigger jobs' on them. If a customer complained about the "gritty" trigger, they took it back and polished the sear assembly. While it might have lightened the pull a pound, it sure made it FEEL a lot lighter for sure.

The Sigma is still taking a beating over the 1st Gen ones. If you happen to still have one and you send it in for work, S&W replaces it with a new one. Everyone who had one agrees that the early ones were POS.

Most of the detractors across the web are non-owners who just don't like it because it is a "Tupperware" pistol... the same reason they don't like Glocks or Keltecs, they want their pistols to be all steel and are unwilling to even dare think that polymer might have a place in a pistol.

Other people complain and call them "jammomatics'' and perhaps never tried to figure out why... did they try different types and brands of ammo, were they limpwristing? Of course they would never admit it, if they were.

The Sigma is just as reliable as you make it. Take care of it, find out what it likes to eat (Mine WILL NOT feed Magtech Guardian Golds, but they work fine in my other .40) and don't over-lube it. If it develops a problem, call the manufacturer (like you should with all makes) and get it taken care of. Some people... just like to complain and not do what they know they should do.

Mine shot low... about three inches at 20 feet. I solved this by installing a HiViz fiber-optic front sight designed for a Glock, a bit of filing on the sides and now it heads dead on. That's just part of the fun of owning any make of firearm, making it do what you want it to!
Writerinmo, well said! I'm happy with my SW9VE.

goste
October 7, 2010, 11:48 PM
I bought a 9mm, back in Feb. I didn't need another 9, but I found one for $299 with a $50 rebate.....I was suprised....my trigger was gritty, and I took it apart after about 600 rds, and found on mine, there was a piece of casting flash on the plastic housing, that was rubbing on the metal sear holder(?).

I filed it flat, cleaned everything real good, and put it back together. I left the pigtail spring out, but really didn't feel any diff., in pull, so I re-installed it, which was a ROYAL PITA, by the way, took me about 1.5 hours.

I like mine, trigger is better than my HiPower practical, and I shoot it better than my Beretta 92, CZ75b, Witness, and the Hi Power. I cast and reload for it, and it has never failed, in about 3000rds, of reloads and factory ammo. I can't say the same for my NIB 1911 colt I bought, a few years ago, but I guess that's another story.::barf: :barf: I hope you enjoy yours....:)

If you enjoyed reading about "i purchased a s&w 9mm sigma any thoughts? It is my first gun purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!