War Movies

PDA

Nightcrawler
November 18, 2003, 05:55 PM
There have been many good movies of late, regarding the Second World War and Vietnam. Some better than others, but both conflicts have been seen on the Silver Screen many times.

However, they weren't the only wars in which there are stories of courage, valor, and sacrifice to tell.

You knwo what I'd like to see? I'd like to see a remake of "SGT York", done with a keen eye for historical accuracy (at the very least, giving him the M1917 Enfield instead of the M1903 Springfield). A movie that shows the horrors of trench warfare and the awful things those men endured is overdue, I think. There are many other great stories from the Great War to tell.

Also, the Korean War seems to have been all but forgotten by Hollywood. I know there was like this one Rock Hudson flick in the 60s, but that about does it. (Except, of course, MASH, but wasn't it remarkable how much "Korea" resembled the deserts of Southern California?)

If you enjoyed reading about "War Movies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
November 18, 2003, 06:33 PM
Korean War flicks...

Bridges at Toko Ri (incredibly good movie)

Target Zero

Pork Chop Hill (one of the best war films ever made)

M*A*S*H

Inchon (bad movie)

An Annapolis Story

The Manchurian Candidate (not strictly Korean War, but depends on it quite a bit)

Men of the Fighting Lady

Steel Helmet (low budget, but surprisingly good)

Rembrandt
November 18, 2003, 06:43 PM
Current day (politically correct) Hollywood couldn't match the original "Sargeant York" starring Gary Cooper. They would have to inject some mindless subliminal modern day message as part of the plot. Besides, what actor could improve on Coopers performance? Can't imagine "Preacher Pyle" being played by anyone other than Walter Brennan. Great cast of actors in that movie...Ward Bond, Noah Berry, June Lockhart......Colorization of the 1941 flick would be nice.

Steve in PA
November 18, 2003, 06:48 PM
One of the best war movies I've seen in the past few years was "The Lost Battalion" with Rick Shroeder.

Dave Markowitz
November 18, 2003, 07:04 PM
One of the best war movies I've seen in the past few years was "The Lost Battalion" with Rick Shroeder.

Yup! I thought that one was excellent, although I didn't see all of it. I wish it would be rebroadcast.

BowStreetRunner
November 18, 2003, 07:06 PM
if you look overseas you will find some great war flicks
an awesome one I love is called "The Lighthorsemen"
its about Aussie Lighthorse in Palestine, circa 1917, a really well done film, done by, predictably, Aussies
I just watched Capitaine Conan, a French flick (yeah yeah they cant fight) but if you want a different perspective on war check this one out
its about a French Captain fighting on the Balkan front and his unit and how they fit in with the rest of the army
they fight Bulgarians and Red Hungarians
I really want to see "The Winter War", a Finnish joint about the Winter War against the Soviets
suppossed to be really really good
BSR

Hkmp5sd
November 18, 2003, 07:12 PM
I'll second The Lost Battalian. Another good WWI movie is All Quiet on the Western Front, both the 1930 original and the 1979 remake with Ernest Borgnine and Richard Thomas.

ACP230
November 18, 2003, 08:07 PM
International Military Antiques, www.ima-usa.com was selling The Winter War.

I saw the movie in a local theatre many years ago. It was shown here in conjunction with an anniversary observance. Lots of folks of Finnish extraction here.

I knew one Soumalinen who volunteered for The Winter War, though he was an American citizen. I described the action of the flick to him, and he told me "That's pretty much how it was." He was in the hospital when the movie was here, so didn't get to see it himself. I don't know if he would have gone anyway. His experience in combat only lasted a month, but it stayed with him all his life.

Destructo6
November 18, 2003, 08:08 PM
Along the Aussie line, there's Gallipoli with Mel Gibson.

Ky Larry
November 18, 2003, 08:14 PM
One of my favorite WWII films is "Cross of Iron." Great cast-James Coburn,Maximillian Schell,James Mason and great director-Sam Peckinpah.
I also like "The Red Badge of Courage." Audie Murphy and Royal Dano and directed by John Huston.

Nightcrawler
November 18, 2003, 09:57 PM
Interestingly enough, my grandfather on my dad's side fought the Russians in the Winter War (or one of the earlier wars) before emigrating to the US and getting a job in the Quincy Copper Mine.

My dad was born in the US in 1938, so my grandfather must've fought in a war a few years before that.

Mike Irwin
November 18, 2003, 10:21 PM
One of the very best war movies of all time is "The Grand Illusion."

"Paths of Glory" is also exceptional.

FrankGrimeyGrimes
November 18, 2003, 10:31 PM
"The Boys In Company C" surprisingly holds up well after all these years. Plus, you get your first film glimpse of a younger and leaner R. Lee Ermey.

"84 Charlie Mopic" is a film that you will never forget if you were fortunate enough to see it. Unfortunately, it has yet to be transferred to DVD.

"Battleground" was filmed almost entirely on set, but the strength of the story and performances make you forget that.

"To Hell And Back" is a movie which actually downplays Audie Murphy's heroics during WWII - if you can believe it. As young as Murphy looks in the film, you should see photos of him during WWII. He looks no older than 15.

"The Big Red One" is Director Sam Fuller's experience during WWII put on film. Unfortunately, Fuller's original long version was never released - this would be ideal for DVD.

The movies that I wish would be made would be a film actually about the battle for Iwo Jima ("Sand of Iwo Jima" has little to do with the titled battle). I understand Spielberg purchased the movie rights to James Bradley's "Flags of Our Fathers" (and Gene Fluckey's outstanding book about US submarines during WWII - "Thunder Below"), but it seems both projects have gone nowhere.

WvaBill
November 18, 2003, 10:36 PM
Paths of Glory w/ Kirk Douglas...I think he directed also

Mad Man
November 18, 2003, 10:56 PM
In addition to the movies listed above:

Bravo Two Zero (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0120617/)

Based on Andy McNabb's book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0440218802/qid=1069210194/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2688588-1861440?v=glance&s=books), it is the true story of a Special Air Service (the British special forces) patrol in northern Iraq during the 1991 Gulf War.

The Beast (http://imdb.com/title/tt0094716/)

It's a sad commentary that Rambo III (http://imdb.com/title/tt0095956/) made $50 millon while this film about a Soviet tank crew lost in Afghanistan made only $160,000. Both films were released in the summer of 1988.

The Beast was directed by Kevin Reynolds (http://imdb.com/name/nm0721817/), who co-wrote Red Dawn (http://imdb.com/title/tt0087985/).

Dark Blue World (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0244479/)

The plot of this Czech film is cliche: two pilots in World War II fall in the love with the same woman. It's the same plot of Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor (http://imdb.com/title/tt0213149/). Hell, it's the same love triangle of 1927's Wings (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0018578/) (except Wings was set in World War I)

I'm recommending this not because it's so much a great war movie (although the aerial combat scenes are good), but because it shows that somebody with $7 million can make a much better movie than somebody with $100 million +. Everybody who has seen both says it makes Pearl Harbor look like the P.O.S. it is.

Upon returning to Czechoslovakia at the end of the war, the pilots who had fled to England and flew for the Royal Air Force were not welcomed as heroes, but instead imprisoned by the Communists because they had been "infected with the ideals of democracy."

The movie takes place in 1950, with Franta Slama (the squadron leader) and Machaty (one of his pilots) in a labor camp together (along with a common thief and an S.S. doctor), with the Nazi occupation and World War II sequences being a flashback.

http://sorry.vse.cz/~xuchj02/DarkBlue/main.shtml has some historical background that's worth reading (whether or not you ever see this movie).

Solinvictus70
November 18, 2003, 11:26 PM
A great treatment of the guerilla war against the British.

Dr.Rob
November 18, 2003, 11:31 PM
Stanley Kubrick directed "Paths of Glory."

"All Quiet on the Western Front'", both versions are pretty stark, not done with today's hollywood fast-cut style like "Lost Battalian" but very good.

Wasn't the fisrt "Thin Red Line" with Keir Dullea and Aldo Ray a Korean war film?

It's my understanding that Speilberg intends to make "Flags of Our Fathers," which was a great book.

Soviet war films can be so bleak as to be unbearable, but the WW1 era epic "Battleship Potemkin" has been influencing filmmakers for 80 some years. Same goes for the director Sergei Eisenstien.

"Johnny Got His Gun" was a really good book, a very bad movie.

Suprisingly, "The Razor's Edge" was pretty good in explaining the horrors of war and the birth of the "lost generation." It's a better book, but still a good film.

It should be of no suprise that WW1 was so devastating, few studios wanted to depict war, even in a negative light for a long time.

Another overlooked film: "Breaker Morant" an Aussie film about the Boer war.

rayra
November 18, 2003, 11:34 PM
I'd like to see one made on the Chosin Reservoir fight.
Anyone know of an existing film?

Nightcrawler
November 18, 2003, 11:35 PM
My father's favorite movie was always Doctor Zhivago (sp?), which (I think) is about the Russian Revolution.

I can see where Soviet war films might be pretty bleak; the Russians have an incredibly tragic history, if you read up on it, and they've been slaughtered by one madman after another for a very long time.

4v50 Gary
November 18, 2003, 11:42 PM
Gallipoli with a twist. Focuses on Billy Singh (sometimes spelled Sing) the famous Australian sniper with over 100 Turks to his credit. :)

Mad Man
November 18, 2003, 11:45 PM
Interestingly enough, my grandfather on my dad's side fought the Russians in the Winter War (or one of the earlier wars) before emigrating to the US and getting a job in the Quincy Copper Mine.

My dad was born in the US in 1938, so my grandfather must've fought in a war a few years before that.

Unless they came here seperately after getting married (maybe your grandfather had to finish his military service, while his wife was pregnant?)

the Russians have an incredibly tragic history, if you read up on it, and they've been slaughtered by one madman after another for a very long time.

No relation.

BluesBear
November 19, 2003, 01:49 AM
The ORIGINAL Thin Red Line with Ker Dullea & Jack Warden is one of the BEST war movies of all time.

On DVD it's usually less than $10.

Mike Irwin
November 19, 2003, 01:56 AM
Nightcrawler,

The "Winter War" between Finland and the Soviet Union occurred from November 1939 to March 1940.

The original Thin Red Line was also about Guadalcanal

Nightcrawler
November 19, 2003, 01:57 AM
The "Winter War" between Finland and the Soviet Union occurred from November 1939 to March 1940.

So I know. I do believe there was another war between Russia and Finland? Did Imperial Russia attack Finland during the Great War? My dad was quite clear that this was well before the 2nd World War (as my grandfather was already in America then).

EDIT:

Ah, here we go. Finland was PART of Russia until the Communist Revolution. Finland declares independence on December 6th, 1917, and a war between the Reds and Whites ensues.

I'm guessing that that's the war that my grandfather fought in. My father told me it was World War One.

Mike Irwin
November 19, 2003, 02:36 AM
"Did Russia attack Finland during the Great War..."

Well, had they done so, the Russians would have been attacking their own colony.

Finland declared its independence from Russia on December 6, 1917, after the collapse of the Czars.

The Bolshevicks recognized the independence of the new Finnish state on December 31, 1917.

Your Grandfather may, however, have been involved in the ensuing Finnish Civil War, which broke out between factions of White and Red Russians and their supporters.

The Finnish Government won the war, and guaranteed Finland's independence, with the assistance of troops from Germany.

Whoops, I should have read your entire message before I posted all of the stuff about Finland's civil war... :)

I had a professor in college, Madam Bogojavensky (or something like that). Amazing woman. Spoke Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Danish, French, Italian, German, and English fluently, and I believe had more than a passing knowledge of Dutch, Spanish, and Latin.

She was a distant, but direct, descendent of the Romanovs. Her Father was a lesser prince and administrator in Finland when the Reds took over.

rayjay
November 19, 2003, 04:10 AM
The Odd Angry Shot - Aussie platoon in veitnam

Full Metal Jacket

Kelly's Hero's

Pebble Beach

OH25shooter
November 19, 2003, 09:32 AM
My favorite (newer) war era flicks:

WWl = The Lost Battalion

WWll = Band of Brother's, Saving Private Ryan, Das Boot, Enemy at the Gates, Tora-Tora-Tora, U-571, The Great Escape, When Trumpets Fade, Pearl Harbor.

VietNam = Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Tigerland, Southern Comfort.

M2HMGHB
November 19, 2003, 10:03 AM
Retreat Hell portrayed during Korea was about the Marine withdrawl at the Chosin Resevoir(sp?)(if I remember correctly that is, misplaced my copy on VHS :banghead: ) Also the movie Breakthrough was pretty good. There are a lot of other's that I've seen but cant remember the names of them.

Scott

Swamprabbit
November 19, 2003, 10:14 AM
For me, I really don't want to see Sgt. York remade. Gary Cooper actually spent time with Alvin York and gave them film a flavor of the times. I can live with the '03 vs. 1917 thing as well as the fact that Cooper used a luger rather than a 1911 in his famous stopping of a charging squad of Germans. To me, some things are best left as is. I also can't see any other person other than Walter Brennan doing the preacher.

Think of this, how would you like seeing a remake of the file with Alec Baldwin playing Alvin York and Martin Sheen the preacher? I am sure that they could find a way to weave something about Iraq (probably with a scene where York is visited by spirits, during a native American ritual, warning about overuse of American power in Iraq).

With that said, "The Lost Battalion" was a really good flick along with many others already listed.

Mad Man
November 19, 2003, 01:13 PM
For me, I really don't want to see Sgt. York remade. Gary Cooper actually spent time with Alvin York and gave them film a flavor of the times. I can live with the '03 vs. 1917 thing as well as the fact that Cooper used a luger rather than a 1911 in his famous stopping of a charging squad of Germans. To me, some things are best left as is.

I would think that if those details are important, digital film technology could take care of the weapons without having to remake the entire film.

Of course, if Steven Spielberg were in charge of the project, he would probably have Sgt. York charging the Germans with a radio in his hand (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105846).

hops
November 19, 2003, 01:14 PM
I'm not even certain that Hollyweird could legally remake Sgt. York. In order to make the original movie, Sgt. York as he authorized the movie, stipulated that , only Gary Cooper could assume the movie role of Sgt. York. No Gary Cooper, no movie.

Nathanael_Greene
November 19, 2003, 02:01 PM
The Longest Day

Battleground (which my Dad said was required viewing when he was training with the 101st during the Korean War)

Destination Tokyo (Cary Grant's other WWII submarine movie)

Air Force (the prototypical WWII Hollywood propaganda movie, starring the incomparable John Garfield)

Captain Horatio Hornblower

Lifeboat (sort of a war movie, anyway)

Stalingrad (a German production; maybe the most depressing war movie ever)

Victory Through Air Power (a Disney animated film)

Star Wars (well...it's got "war" in the title, doesn't it?)

That'll do for a start...

OEF_VET
November 19, 2003, 02:04 PM
Don't forget THe Bridge Over the River Kwai. One helluva good movie.

Also, Attack Force Z, about Australian Commandoes during WW2 was good, but I don't believe it's available on VHS or DVD. I remember seeing it on TBS quite a bit when I was a kid though.

Pork Chop Hill was a good Korean War movie.

Go For Broke, about the 442nd RCT in WW2 was good.

MrKandiyohi
November 19, 2003, 02:07 PM
Another, not so great, Korean War film is called The Glory Brigade. Its a B&W starring Victor Mature about a US group, along with a Greek unit, going on a reconnoissance mission behind enemy lines.

Pork Chop Hill is a great Korean War film and a great war film in general.

Johnpl
November 19, 2003, 02:35 PM
"The War Lover" starring Steve McQueen...the 8th Air Force in WWII.
"Twelve O'Clock High" starring Gregory Peck...ditto the above.

tyme
November 19, 2003, 02:39 PM
I don't find battle scenes that fascinating - not a military history nerd.

But if anything involving a war counts, Henry V and Empire of the Sun are my favorites.

Silver Bullet
November 19, 2003, 03:15 PM
Enemy at the Gates
Also a great sniper movie.

rayra
November 19, 2003, 04:43 PM
Real easy to take a shot at Spielberg's revisionism of E.T. - but he was also a Co-Producer of 'Band of Brothers' so your glib put down really doesn't hold up so well.

M2HMGHB, 'Retreat Hell' thanks. Took a look on Amazon, yike$.

Ant Mod
November 19, 2003, 05:34 PM
if you look overseas you will find some great war flicks

There is an independant movie about the Bosnian/Serbian war. Its about two opposition soldiers that fall into the same trench and must survive together. It also shows how ridiculous and useless the UN is (obviously a great point and the best I have ever seen in a movie.) Blockbuster carries it under the foreign film section. Its a great movie.

BowStreetRunner
November 19, 2003, 06:16 PM
ive heard of that one
ill have to check it out ant mod

Correia
November 19, 2003, 06:51 PM
Siege of Firebase Gloria. A must watch movie for anybody who likes R. Lee Ermey.

Lost Brigade was great.

I really enjoyed Black Hawk Down.

To Hell and Back was pretty amazing considering that Audie Murphy played himself, and that it was not really exagerated from the true story!

Savior with Dennis Quaid is a little known movie about Bosnia. Possibly one of the bleakest movies you can watch. Very depressing, but well done.

OEF_VET
November 19, 2003, 07:48 PM
Ant Mod and BSR,

The title of that movie is No Man's Land , and it's a great movie. The absolute hatred between the ethnic groups in the Balkans is unbelievable and they movie does a good job of portraying it.

CMichael
November 20, 2003, 09:59 AM
I loved the "Great Escape"

MuzzleBlast
November 20, 2003, 10:07 AM
VietNam = Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Tigerland, Southern ComfortIs there more than one movie called "Southern Comfort?" The one I remember seeing was about a Louisiana national guard unit running afoul of a bunch of Cajuns.

MuzzleBlast
November 20, 2003, 10:20 AM
Why are we so captivated by war movies? The good ones always alternate between harrowing, horrifying and deeply tragic, and occasionally electrifying and exilarating.
I guess I just answered my own question. War movies are a lot more engaging than your average romantic comedy.

My picks, in addition to the lists above:
Patton
Apocalypse Now ("Never get out of the f*ing boat. Absolutely GD right.")
Gods and Generals
Gettysburg (fast-forward through the Gen. Lee soliloquy)
All those John Wayne movies
Zulu Dawn

Viking6
November 20, 2003, 01:27 PM
"Retreat Hell" was pretty good. I remember seeing it when I was a teen. Frank Lovejoy played the Marine commander , would that have been Smith? Great scene when the Chicoms burst into the CP and he blated with his M-1 carbine. I did a battle study on Fox Hill over twenty years ago. That would make a great movie. IIRC,Fox Company, either 1st or 5th Regiment, held a hill with a lot of Corsair support for several days allowing the rest of the Marines to get out of a valley and on the road to Hamnung. Every officer, I believe, was wounded. The Chicoms attacked in the middle of the night and they fought them off and continued fighting for daysunti they joined the "attack in another direction". One PFC (Carrera or something from New Jersey) was firing his Garand while a wounded Marine was passing him loaded rifles. At one point, he swats a grenade like a baseball. When the fighting subsided, he realized he had been fighting all night in either zero 0r subzero weather in his socks. I beleive he received the CMH. Zulu Dawn was good; the quartermaster officer or whatever had everyone with their requisition form in a queue while the Zulus were overrunning the column. I had also read that they couldn't open the ammo boxes because they lacked a tool to open the brass banding material (I purposely didn't say brass bands).

If you enjoyed reading about "War Movies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!