Going under minimum

PDA

Captain FU
February 14, 2010, 11:12 PM
More new-guy questions!

I just loaded my first 15 .223 rounds. Hodgdon H335 shows 24gr as the starting load with 50gr bullets. I loaded 5 at the given start charge, and 5 at .5gr under and over that given start charge.

The 23.5gr shot better than the others.

My question is do I dare go any further under the start charge seeking better results or is a lighter/heavier bullet the way to go?

50gr Nosler
H335
CCI 400 primers
Winchester brass

Ruger M77 MKII 1:12 rifling.

Thanks again

If you enjoyed reading about "Going under minimum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
February 14, 2010, 11:24 PM
Loading under minimum is just as dangerous as loading over max. Causes weird pressures. The powder can actually detonate as opposed to burning. Mind you, a half grain under won't detonate. However, don't work down. Work up in half grain increments to the max load.
Ruger's site shows a Mk II .223 as having 1 in 9 rifling. Your's an older rifle? 1 in 9 is good for heavy bullets. 55 grains and up.

Captain FU
February 14, 2010, 11:28 PM
I would have sworn it was 1:12.

I quick check with the cleaning rod is in order.

It is a 1:12

Sunray
February 14, 2010, 11:40 PM
It might well be. I just had a look at their site. Says 1 in 9 for all their .223 bolt action rifles. Not a big deal either way. The faster twist does let you use heavy bullets. Better for long range shooting.
Depends on what you're using your rifle for. A varmint won't care what bullet weight kills it. Bit different for target shooting.

Captain FU
February 14, 2010, 11:55 PM
I am trying to reload for targets

Sunray
February 15, 2010, 12:11 AM
77 grain Sierra Matchkings or 75 grain Hornady A-Max bullets, if you're loading for match shooting. Neither will be cheap. Any like bullet weight bullet will do for fun target shooting. Match bullets do make a difference though. Pick a bullet and do this.
Beginning with the starting load given in your manual, load 4 rounds only(mag capacity). Go up by half a grain of powder, loading 4 of each keeping them separate until you get to the max load in your manual.
Then go shooting. Shoot at 100 yards, for group only, slowly and deliberately off a bench.
Change targets between strings of 4 and allow time for the barrel to cool.
When you find the best group, sight in.

If you enjoyed reading about "Going under minimum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!