Lyman 310 Hand

PDA

dashootist
February 14, 2010, 10:55 PM
How much hand strength is required for the Lyman 310 with 45-colt dies? I'm currently using a Lee Classic Loader (wack-a-mole), and I am getting tired of the primer going off and crimping by hammering on a live round.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lyman 310 Hand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kernel
February 15, 2010, 09:15 AM
Never used a 310 "tong tool", but it shouldn't be bad. The 310 neck-sizes only, which doesn't take much effort. It's full-length resizing that's hard. Crimping with the 310 should be realitivley easy.

I do use a Lee hand press. Like it a lot. The Lee uses standard dies (the 310 uses special dies. Hard to find, limited availiablity, and don't interchange with anything else). And, with the Lee, you can still full-length resize, if you want.

dogrunner
February 15, 2010, 09:43 AM
Kernal's correct. I own both types and of the two the Lee is far more versatile...Far as difficulty of use goes, the 310's aren't really much different, but every die set I've seen is essentially neck sizing only..........kinda limits you as to action type and likely the gun the brass was originally used in.

Dies for the Lyman are more difficult to find and many calibers are not available new as well.

PzGren
February 15, 2010, 10:22 AM
The 310 tool is really cool, I got it used many, many years ago and started reloading with it. The dies are not carbon dies, so if you lube well, you will not need a lot a effort to resize brass.

It is a classic!

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/Olone.jpg

swiftak
February 15, 2010, 11:38 AM
Alot of strength isn't need for the 310 tool. I have one (a newer one) that I use for
my 30-30. If I can resize a bottleneck case, you should be able to resize the .45 colt with no problems. I think I bought it from Midway several years ago.

David Wile
February 15, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hey dashootist,

The Ideal/Lyman 310 Nutcracker tool is a true classic, very easy to load pistol rounds, and not all that hard to load my 45-70s when I want to show off. Do not get me wrong here, I am not about to load a big bunch of cartridges with the Nutcracker when I can do them on a bench press. However, I have also used a Lee Loader - just one time - and I wouldn't think of doing it again. I would use a Nutcracker any day before even looking at a Lee Loader.

Now having sung the praises of the classic Nutcracker, I would recommend the Lyman Acculine hand/bench tool over the Nutcracker and the Lee hand tool. The Lyman Acculine uses standard dies and shell holders and usually come with a ram prime die for repriming both sizes. The problem is that I do not think Lyman sells the Acculine any longer, but if you can pick up a used one on E-Bay or wherever, you would be doing well. The Acculine is not much bigger than the Nutcracker, and if you wanted to do so, you can reverse the toggle and mount it on a bench.

For pure classic showing off, however, the Lyman 310 Nutcracker is really a hard act to follow.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

ClarkEMyers
February 15, 2010, 10:10 PM
I started with a 310 tool loading 9x19 - worked for me and took no great effort. It's technically possible but pointless to bush the 310 dies up to fit a 7/8-14 threaded press - but pointless.

These days it's as cheap to start with a press so unless there is an extreme need to load from a cigar box start with a press or at least a bigger hand tool for 7/8-14 standard dies. There are many small presses aimed mostly at the bench rest crowd - for portable loading . These days my biggest press is a Hollywood Universal Turret and my smallest a Load Anywhere from Meecham
The ANYWHERE PRESS is light weight, hand held or bench mounted, and portable.

I'd say maybe even a Square Deal B if only one cartridge is the goal. I've got a CoAx from Forster/Bonanza among others and if I had to live with just one press that might be the choice.

But the 310 tool will do just fine.

Kernel
February 15, 2010, 10:24 PM
Just to be clear. The Lee Hand Press and the Lee Loader are two different tools. The Hand Press takes standard dies and shell holders. Retails for $38 at Midway.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lyman 310 Hand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!