One revolver and one semi-auto

PDA

Anna's Dad
February 15, 2010, 03:23 PM
After I received my first gun as a gift from my wife I went, well, a little nuts. A few years later, I realize that I have many more than I need.

Anyway, I've decided to sell about half of the guns that I currently own. Probably more than half before all is said and done.

After I'm finished with the big sell-off, I was thinking that I'd like to buy one revolver and one semi-auto and would love some recommendations and reasons why.

My requirements are few:
1) Under $1000 each
2) Any caliber than can be purchased in a store or online (I don't reload)
3) No polymer (I have that covered already)
4) Not to sound shallow, but I want looks to be a factor. I have utility covered already and want something that will make me smile. :D

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "One revolver and one semi-auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JTQ
February 15, 2010, 03:28 PM
If I could only have one of each it would be

- Auto - Colt 1911 Series 70 Reproduction

- Revolver - S&W Model 29 (.44 Mag) 4"

Babarsac
February 15, 2010, 03:29 PM
A nice GI 1911 and a S&W Model 22 (modern model 1917). Both fire the 45 ACP and represent the sidearms of two world wars.

Brian Williams
February 15, 2010, 03:31 PM
S&W Model 13 with 3" barrel and a Colt Woodsman 1st series.

wlewisiii
February 15, 2010, 03:33 PM
A nice GI 1911A1 & a S&W Model 10. The two best of their types in the 20th century.

William

svtruth
February 15, 2010, 03:39 PM
being disappointed with a S&W Model 19, and a 1911.

Gunfighter123
February 15, 2010, 03:40 PM
After I'm finished with the big sell-off, I was thinking that I'd like to buy one revolver and one semi-auto and would love some recommendations and reasons why.

What did you plan for these two forearms --- hunting , plinking , home defense , CCW , bullseye/IPSC/IDPA/SASS/competition etc.

Without knowing --- I'd go with a stainless Colt Gold Cup .45/Para-Ordnance P-14 and a S&W 625 .45 -- or a S&W 629.

Anna's Dad
February 15, 2010, 03:48 PM
Wow, fast suggestions and looks like 1911 / S&W has an early lead! I was thinking perhaps an older 1911 but I don't want to sway opinion since I haven't really decided on anything yet.

Brian Williams: I have a Colt Huntsman in like-new condition that I was planning on keeping. Is the Woodsman significantly different enough that I should sell the Huntsman and upgrade or do you think the Huntsman covers that need/want?

Gunfighter123: Sorry, should have specified. These are just for fun, I have defense, CCW, plinking, etc. covered and am not a hunter.

Best Regards...

Brian Williams
February 15, 2010, 03:51 PM
If you like the Huntsman, keep it it will do very well in it's own right. I just like that long barrel that the Woodsman has over the Huntsman.

Onward Allusion
February 15, 2010, 04:15 PM
S&W 327 M&P R8 (8 shot .357 revolver w/rail) - However, keeping it below $1,000 will be pushing it...

S&W 5906TSW (old school all SS 3rd generation 59 series w/rail) - This one will be way under $1,000 so for $2K I would get both! :)

Anna's Dad (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=29362)
One revolver and one semi-auto

fourdollarbill
February 15, 2010, 04:19 PM
S&W 327 M&P R8 for the revolver. And for the auto, just get moon clips for the revolver and practice like bullets are free ;)

19-3Ben
February 15, 2010, 04:20 PM
Ruger GP100 4"
S&W 4006tsw

I'm assuming you don't need a carry piece here since you didn't say so.

TXHORNS
February 15, 2010, 04:23 PM
Finding a Colt Python under a grand will take some searching but its possible. That would be my pick for revolver. And a WW1 repro for a semi.

jonnyc
February 15, 2010, 04:32 PM
I think Babarsac hit the target with a 1911 and a Smith 1917, both excellent and fun shooters, and they share ammo. If I were in your boots, I'd go for nice GI versions of both. I would also suggest getting or keeping a decent .22 auto.

eldon519
February 15, 2010, 04:37 PM
I would get a compact, carryable 9mm for the semiautomatic. For the revolver, I would probably get a 4" Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum or .45 Colt.

My reasoning: both can still be enjoyable to take to the shooting range. 9mm is cheap and enjoyable to shoot in a small package, and naturally lends itself to a carry weapon. Semiautomatics typically do not have the capacity for power that revolvers commonly do, so I'd go with a practical big-bore. Both are enjoyable to shoot with .44 Special or .45 Colt factory ammo. You could get the .45 cut to take moonclips and go with .45 ACP for even more affordable practice. .44 magnum or some of the boutique .45 Colt +P ammo would be great for hunting, big game protection or just fun.

Between the two, you get a lot of flexibility.

savit260
February 15, 2010, 04:53 PM
Revolver - Colt Python. Yes, they can still be had for under a grand if you are willing to take your time and hunt for one. 4" would be my preferance, as that's would be a "do all" revolver. Small enough to carry, and cream puff .38's to full house magnums to choose from.

Auto Loader - Colt Woodsman, or any of it's variations, or a Smith & Wesson 41. You've got to have a good .22 for inexpensive shooting.

Ala Dan
February 15, 2010, 04:55 PM
Well, lets see- I think I have all of your requirements covered here:

LNIB 4" factory nickel Smith & Wesson model 19

and

LNIB Colt Series 70 5" Government Model

SharpsDressedMan
February 15, 2010, 06:17 PM
When I think about "making do" with a few firearms, I look at the four I managed to find that were made in the year I was born. All in all, they would make a fine group of self defense/home defense guns, and can be used for hunting, also. I have a Winchester Model 12 with riot gun barrel, a stock Model 94 Winchester in .30-30, a Colt Detective Special .38, and a Colt Government Model .38 Super. The riot gun might be short for ducks, but great for close encounter small game, adequate with slugs or buckshot for bigger problems, and the .30-30 will drop deer or even elk at close range, should I hunt outside of OH or WV. The two handguns fill the self defense bill perfectly. The .38 fits a pocket, or the several holsters/carry methods that I use, and the .38 Super is like a .357 Magnum with 9-10 rounds at the ready, and much easier to carry and shoot. For a fun option, check out the guns that were being made when you were being made. The quality was probably pretty good back then. Maybe hard to do better. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05544.jpg

420Stainless
February 15, 2010, 07:37 PM
If I had to go with one of each it'd be a S&W Model 57 (.41 Mag - 6") for fun and hunting, and a Combat Commander (.45 ACP) for carry. My actual choice, if limited to only one would be a PM45, but you said no polymer.

richw
February 15, 2010, 07:59 PM
might be easier to tell us what you will own after you are done selling (and maybe what you are selling)...

but if you don't want a polymer semi, you are got what, sig, cz/jericho/eaa, 1911/hipower, and beretta m9 (and derivatives)....of that list, under 1000, you kinda lose sig and for the most part the 1911s...

btg3
February 15, 2010, 08:03 PM
That narrows it down a bit. Tried to buy .45ACP lately?

jad0110
February 15, 2010, 08:13 PM
Quote:

That narrows it down a bit. Tried to buy .45ACP lately?

Or 41 Magnum and 45 Colt for that matter. 44 Magnum is almost as easy to find at .40 S&W, but it costs a bunch.

---

Well, I'll answer this one as if it were me with $1,000 to spend on one revolver and one auto each. And in a fairly common, affordable caliber.

For the auto, I've already got a 1911. I'm thinking a Browning HiPower of some sort in 9mm.

For the revolver, I'd go for a .357 Magnum S&W pre-Model 27 5 screw, blued finished, preferrably with a 5" barrel. Oooo, I'd love to have one of those!

230therapy
February 15, 2010, 08:19 PM
Why in the world would you do this? Crazy!

Semi-Auto:

Dunno...something sorta nice. Maybe a Colt World War I repro, a really nice SIG or a pocket gun.

Revolver (prelock):

S&W Model 27
S&W Model 19
S&W Model 66
S&W Model 686

Any one of these guns would be very nice.

lions
February 15, 2010, 08:23 PM
Others have nailed it:

S&W Mod 19 blued
whichever 1911 you like in stainless

orionengnr
February 15, 2010, 08:26 PM
What did you plan for these two firearms --- hunting, plinking, home defense, CCW, bullseye/IPSC/IDPA/SASS/competition etc.
That is a fair question.
--Some of the more desireable characteristics of a good conceal carry weapon are quite different from those of a hunting revolver.
--A competition gun can be a very specialized device.
--You can use anything to plink with, but a good plinker should take cheap ammo--when I think plinker, I think .22LR. As much as I love my .22s, if I were to have one pistol and one revolver for the rest of my life, I'm not sure that either would be a .22LR.

If I had to have two and two only to make me happy for the rest of my life my picks at this point would be a Commander sized 1911 (maybe in alloy frame) and a six inch S&W in .41 Mag or .45LC.

Since you stated that you do not reload, I would make the revolver a five inch M-27 in .357 Mag.

blindhari
February 15, 2010, 08:45 PM
If you want something to make you smile, something you can buy ammo for, under $2000 total try a different way of looking at it;
Springfield Armory 1911A1 full size 9mm (I believe target) in stainless/wood grips $1,069 at gallery of guns

Ruger Blackhawk 357/9mm under $700 Gallery of guns

Common amunition, both unusal and well made firearms under $2000 total
Now you have a few bucks left over for holsters and custom trim/grips

If you have no intention to sell these in the future Have your name engraved and you have one of a kind to make your smile bigger, western and city 9mm,
Deer hunting with the .357 and Buffalo Bores, Engine blocks with the old Norma Milatary Mags

blindhari

blindhari
February 15, 2010, 08:46 PM
If you want something to make you smile, something you can buy ammo for, under $2000 total try a different way of looking at it;
Springfield Armory 1911A1 full size 9mm (I believe target) in stainless/wood grips $1,069 at gallery of guns

Ruger Blackhawk 357/9mm under $700 Gallery of guns

Common amunition, both unusal and well made firearms under $2000 total
Now you have a few bucks left over for holsters and custom trim/grips

If you have no intention to sell these in the future Have your name engraved and you have one of a kind to make your smile bigger, western and city 9mm,Deer hunting with the .357 and Buffalo Bores, Engine blocks with the old Norma Milatary Mags

blindhari

rha600
February 15, 2010, 09:07 PM
Here are my picks.

S&W 386XL Hunter
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/164298_large.jpg

Beretta 92FS
https://www.berettausa.com/img_catalog/J92F300M_L.jpg

shockwave
February 15, 2010, 09:30 PM
I'd get a revolver in .357 and an auto in 9mm. Use the wheelgun for HD and the auto for CCW.

DWFan
February 15, 2010, 09:33 PM
AMT Javelina Long-slide 10mm semi-auto and a matching Clement's 10mm Ruger GP-100. Odds are that you'll be the only one at the range with such a combination...no matter what range you visit.

armoredman
February 15, 2010, 10:21 PM
CZ PCR and Smith Model 10. :)

BCRider
February 16, 2010, 01:12 AM
Geez, down to one of each.

I'd have to say that for the revolver you would not go wrong with a S&W Model 19.

On the semi side it's a crap shoot. The 1911 is a classic but since you don't want to reload this could get costly for ammo if you shoot a lot. For lower cost 9mm is the way to go. But which to get? There's lots of good 9mm's out there but the key is to find one that suits your tastes and fits your hands. There's the choice of plastic or metal frames and how they feel to balance to your taste. Then there's the trigger feel of striker fired guns vs hammer fired guns. There's lots of good options in all types but it's a matter of finding what YOU like instead of what WE like.

.... only two eh? All I can say is good freakin' luck with THAT decision. A limit of two is SO against the THR member madate that it's almost enough to get you certified and limited to some remote institute. At least make room for a nice .22 plinker handgun as a third holding.

oldfool
February 16, 2010, 01:58 AM
he didn't say he was selling all of 'em... only half

another vote here for S&W 6" model 27 38/357
plus a classy Browning Hi-Power 9mm

about as affordable ammo as a non-reloader can shoot
(38sp and 9mm)
both guns being great Classics w/ ample drool factor

PS
nothing real wrong with a K-17 or K-22 Masterpiece, though
or a 6" S&W 48 k-frame in 22WMR
real affordable ammo
(anybody thinks 22 revolvers are just "plinkers", just hadn't had the pleasure yet)

ArchAngelCD
February 16, 2010, 02:07 AM
That's a very hard thing to do, pick only 2 handguns??

I guess if I had to on short notice I would pick:
Semi-Auto = 1911 in .45 Auto
Revolver = S&W M627 Pro (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=67983&tabselected=over&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=) (8 rounds of .357 Magnum)

smoothdraw
February 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
All steel, has to be pretty...Hmpp. ..

That will be a Blued Colt Series 70 repro or WW1 repro

and a Smith and Wesson 686 3" for me.

Baphomet
February 16, 2010, 01:34 PM
I just recently dropped down to two handguns myself after doing my own "Big Sell Off". I'm stocking nothing more than my 4" S&W 686 and my Kimber Team Match .45 ACP these days and couldn't be happier... But that's me, of course, and my lifestyle.

Sometimes less is more.

PhiloebeddoUSA
February 16, 2010, 03:31 PM
"I want looks to be a factor. I have utility covered already"

Revolver- Colt Python or SW Model 19 (Colt will take work, but can be done and is worth it!)

Auto- Have a look at a Desert Eagle in 44 mag. Hand cannon in an auto platform. If you shop around you can hit this price point.

Best of luck :)

shockwave
February 16, 2010, 03:51 PM
I'm finding that 2 aren't enough because what is good for the range and for HD isn't necessarily best for CCW. It's starting to look like either a Chief's Special in .38 spl or a compact 9mm will be joining my home armory.

nachosgrande
February 16, 2010, 04:04 PM
Love the 1911 and love the .44 mag, but if I could only have one of each they would definitely have to be a 9mm and .357 mag.

summerhelp
February 16, 2010, 05:24 PM
Get a 1911 and a colt saa clone.
They are both fun to shoot and icons of america.

harmon rabb
February 16, 2010, 06:00 PM
1911 and a .357mag

Anna's Dad
February 16, 2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. Here are some responses:

SharpsDressedMan: Really funny you'd say that as I have always wanted a nice gun born in the same year I was! Just haven't come across one yet.

230Therapy: I know, a year ago I would have said I was nuts too. Truthfully, I had a health scare and just am trying to minimize things in general. I have waaaay too many guns. I'm not selling everything and getting one of each, I'm just selling a huge percentage which will free up quite a bit of cash to buy a couple of really nice ones! Most of my guns are < $500. I don't have a single one that I paid more than $700 for, I don't believe.

btg3: I hear you on the ammo! I do have a pretty good stock pile of .22, 9x18, 9x19, .45 ACP and 7.62x39. Not a ton, but enough to have quite a bit of fun.

I'm definitely seeing a trend on a Smith revolver and a 1911 semi-auto. I must say though, that I'm intrigued by the Python suggestions. Didn't realize less than $1k was possible on those.

Anna's Dad
February 16, 2010, 06:52 PM
More replies...

blindhari: I could certainly go over one one of them and under on the other. Just don't want to spend an arm and a leg (maybe just a few fingers and toes). I appreciate the suggestions.

DWFan: I wasn't even thinking 10mm but that would surely help with the smile on the face aspect! Interesting...

oldfool: I'm pretty unfamiliar with Hi Powers. I'll definitely give them a look before I make any purchases. Thanks.

PhiloebeddoUSA: Should I get the Desert Eagle with the tiger stripes!?

summerhelp: I hadn't really considered a SAA clone. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on a good choice? The Beretta Stampede looks nice. I really don't know much about them, though.

Fishman777
February 16, 2010, 09:10 PM
Stainless Steel GP100 with a 4.2" barrel
Springfield XD45 compact

wrs840
February 16, 2010, 09:19 PM
Quote:
What did you plan for these two firearms --- hunting, plinking, home defense, CCW, bullseye/IPSC/IDPA/SASS/competition etc.
That is a fair question...
Fair question no doubt. If you're buying utility tools I'd have to keep a S&W Model 64 4" and a 3rd gen Smith in 9 or .40, and have a bunch of money left over. If you're keeping pride pieces, and/or covering a variety of special uses, it splits the question wide-open, and probably eliminates the notion that you can "only have two"...

Les

OrangePwrx9
February 16, 2010, 11:37 PM
If those guns you're planning to sell are good, reliable, quality guns, then don't do it. You'll hate yourself later. Each is an investment in future shooting enjoyment. Each is a part of your shooting history. As long as you own them, you can shoot them or not as the spirit and the occasion calls for. Once they're gone, you'll never get to enjoy shooting them again.

If shooting them is currently unaffordable, take a step in the direction of saving some money, learn to reload for them and build up your ammo stock.

The advice given thus far on which S-A and which revolver to buy can be used to determine how best to ADD to your collection.
FWIW
Bob

gbw
February 17, 2010, 12:03 AM
Hmmm...I'm with OldFool. I'm a fan of almost everything mentioned so far, especially 1911s. Still....

Browning HP older style (fixed sights, ring hammer, internal extractor) mint condition. Best looking auto, beautiful. Reliable. Handy. 9mm. Ammo plentiful, standard, cheap.

Older Smith 36 or 60, 3" full lug e.g. the 60-4. (Adj. sights) .38 Spl. Small, Light (not too light), accurate, powerful, best looking, best overall revolver to me. Ammo Plentiful, standard, cheap. (Or a RB older S&W 19 or 66 3" if your hands are too big for the 36s).

If we're allowed a 3rd, any number of older .22s. Colt, S&W, High Std., Ruger, Walther, etc. Revolver or auto.

Anna's Dad
March 2, 2010, 12:14 PM
Well, I'm doing it! A bunch of my guns are in the process of being sold as I type. I'm still not fixed on a particular semi and revolver to buy but I am working on meeting a local guy with a bunch of Colts for sale. We'll see how it goes.

I'll post a follow-up thread on how long it takes the regret to set it!

Spencer_OKC
March 2, 2010, 03:29 PM
Sorry, should have specified. These are just for fun, I have defense, CCW, plinking, etc. covered and am not a hunter.

If you have defense, concealed carry, plinking, etc. already covered then this comes down to what gun have you always wanted that you don't have. That is what I would buy.

For me it would be a Colt Python, 4-inch in nickel or stainless. My dad carried one as a police officer when I was a kid, and when his department issued him a Smith 681 he sold the Python because we didn't have much money. He passed away and I still have his 681, but when I think of my Dad and his guns, I think of that Python.

content
March 2, 2010, 04:07 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // 1revolver/1semiauto

S&W 617 6" .22lr
CZ75B .40s&w

gwnorth
March 2, 2010, 04:21 PM
I'd say a Colt stainless Combat Commander (just like commanders over gov't size) in .45acp and a Ruger GP100 (4" stainless).

Alternatively, a SIG P226 (for cheaper 9mm practice then the .45) and a Ruger Service Six.

And I bought 600rnds of .45acp (PMC) last weekend, for $22.99/box of 50 - it's readily available in my part of the world (and prices have actually come down since 2009, not gone up more).

dmazur
March 2, 2010, 09:43 PM
Get a 1911 and a colt saa clone.

Yep.

1. Colt 1911 in either Govt or Commander barrel length
2. Ruger Super Blackhawk in a shorter barrel (4-5/8" or 5-1/2")

These are proven designs, and between the two should be able to handle almost any need.

Confederate
March 3, 2010, 12:25 PM
Wroooooooong!

Now's not the time to sell your guns. They're great hedges againt inflation and gun prices are going through the roof! In fact, the day is rapidly coming when decent handguns are going to go for a grand or more.

Our money supply is being expanded to irresponsible levels, and nothing I can think of holds its value as well as guns and ammo. Why sell them? Most of our investments these days are paper. We all ought to have a little silver, gold, guns and ammo stashed away.

Keep your guns. You'll regret selling them, I guarantee it.

kludge
March 3, 2010, 01:30 PM
$1000 x 2 = $2000... so... you get three!

Springfield Mil-Spec 1911,
Ruger Blackhawk, GP100, or Redhawk in .347, .44 Mag, or .45 Colt,
Browning Buckmark Camper.

If you enjoyed reading about "One revolver and one semi-auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!